Name The Best Soul Food Spots
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject:

i can't say i'm too experienced in the ways of soul food but i will say this. roscoe's chicken and waffles is in the top 5 best meals i've ever had.
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject:

I'd be interested to know what everyone means by soul food.

Yes, I know I can ask Sergei and Larry but I want what definitions by people here are.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:40 am    Post subject:

Pioneer Chicken. Old school LA classic and still the best Fried Chicken recipe in the country. The menu doesn't have hog on it but none of that swine portion of soul cuisine has ever appealed much to me.

FYI Chick Hearn used to plug ads for it back in the day.

Locations:

Quote:
Bell Gardens M-Su: 1100-2145 6323 Florence Ave (at Garfield) Bell Gardens, CA 90201-4731 (562) 927-9135

Boyle Heights M-Su: 1000-2100 904 S Soto St (at Whitter) Los Angeles, CA 90023-1323 (323) 262-4562

Echo Park M-Sa: 0900-2300 Su: 0900-2200 1321 Echo Park Ave (at Sunset) Los Angeles, CA 90026-3317 (213) 481-1232

Miracle Mile (Serves chicken in the original fried recipe) M-Th 1000-2100 Fr-Sa 1000-2000 Su: 1100-1700 (Closed every first Sunday of the month) 5970 West Olympic Blvd (at San Vincente) Los Angeles, CA 90036-4610 (323) 954-0454

Silver Lake (Serves chicken in the original fried recipe & flame-broiled) M-Su: 0800-0000 4376 West Sunset Blvd (at Fountain) Los Angeles, CA 90029-2155 (323) 663-2441

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject:

Pajamahadeen wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
Pajamahadeen wrote:
I went to wikipedia and researched.

DAMN! Tell me why I should eat this stuff? This is like, the stuff the butcher throws away.

Chicken gizzards eek

Chicken livers

Chitterlings ("chitlins") (the cleaned and prepared intestines of hogs, slow cooked and often eaten with vinegar and hot sauce; sometimes parboiled, then battered and fried)

Country fried steak, also known as "chicken fried steak" (beef deep-fried with a crisp flour or batter coating, usually served with white gravy)

Cracklins (commonly known as pork rinds and sometimes added to cornbread batter)

Fatback (fatty, cured, salted pork; used to season meats and vegetables)

Fried chicken (fried in grease with seasoned flour)

Fried fish (any of several varieties of fish—especially catfish, but also whiting, porgies, bluegills—dredged in seasoned cornmeal and deep fried

Ham hocks (smoked, used to flavor vegetables and legumes)

Hoghead cheese (made primarily from pig snouts, lips, and ears, and frequently referred to as "souse meat" or simply "souse")

Hog maws (PIG STOMACH! )

Neckbones (beef neck bones seasoned and slow cooked)

Oxtail soup (a soup or stew made from beef tails)

Pigs feet (slow cooked like chitterlings, sometimes pickled and, like chitterlings, often eaten with vinegar and hot sauce)

Ribs (usually pork, but can also be beef ribs)

The only thing I can reasonably justify eating off that list is the Ribs, because I love ribs!

But good Lord Jesus! This does not sound good.

Hey, any comments like this from YOU...I'm far from shocked.

What are you saying? Be direct, please.

You have a penchant for racially charged posts. Now, don't hijack the thread.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject:

tortuga wrote:
Bros. Bar-B-Q

15837 S. Crenshaw Blvd. - right off Manchester

LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject:

shnjb wrote:
I'd be interested to know what everyone means by soul food.

Yes, I know I can ask Sergei and Larry but I want what definitions by people here are.

Soul Food is a traditional African-American cuisine born mostly from the slave days in the South that consists of dishes such as smothered pork chops, macaroni & cheese, short ribs, fried/smothered chicken, country fried steak, okra, collard greens, chitterlings, meatloaf, oxtails, black eyed peas, lima beans, sweet potatoes, Johnny cakes, hoecakes (no lie lol), biscuits, cornbread, grits, rice pudding, and sweet tea.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
Pioneer Chicken. Old school LA classic and still the best Fried Chicken recipe in the country. The menu doesn't have hog on it but none of that swine portion of soul cuisine has ever appealed much to me.

FYI Chick Hearn used to plug ads for it back in the day.

Locations:

Quote:
Bell Gardens M-Su: 1100-2145 6323 Florence Ave (at Garfield) Bell Gardens, CA 90201-4731 (562) 927-9135

Boyle Heights M-Su: 1000-2100 904 S Soto St (at Whitter) Los Angeles, CA 90023-1323 (323) 262-4562

Echo Park M-Sa: 0900-2300 Su: 0900-2200 1321 Echo Park Ave (at Sunset) Los Angeles, CA 90026-3317 (213) 481-1232

Miracle Mile (Serves chicken in the original fried recipe) M-Th 1000-2100 Fr-Sa 1000-2000 Su: 1100-1700 (Closed every first Sunday of the month) 5970 West Olympic Blvd (at San Vincente) Los Angeles, CA 90036-4610 (323) 954-0454

Silver Lake (Serves chicken in the original fried recipe & flame-broiled) M-Su: 0800-0000 4376 West Sunset Blvd (at Fountain) Los Angeles, CA 90029-2155 (323) 663-2441

Damn, I haven't heard of PC in a LOOOOOOONG time.
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Damn, I haven't heard of PC in a LOOOOOOONG time.

They pretty much all sold out to Popeyes a long time ago, but every once in a while I see one.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject:

If you're ever in the Oakland/Berkeley area, check out:

- Dorsey's Locker
- Hard Knox Cafe
- Brown Sugar Cafe
Tryangles
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
Pajamahadeen wrote:

+1 ^

Pajamahadeen, I'm not sure if you are being ignorant or you just don't know the history of things... If you haven't noticed, a majority of these dishes are left over parts. - You know stuff that the white man aka 'Masta' didn't want to eat a 150 years ago. Guess who got to eat them? Yes, his slaves... Put two and two together on how they have become a delicacy today.

And as for my fave's - Roscoe's, Aunt Kizz's and Mimi's... I gotta check out some of these other hole in the wall spots you guys have mentioned!
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
If you're ever in the Oakland/Berkeley area, check out:

- Dorsey's Locker
- Hard Knox Cafe
- Brown Sugar Cafe

Is it me, or do the last 2 spots straight up SOUND like they have the bomb soul food!?
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject:

Tryangles wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
Pajamahadeen wrote:

+1 ^

Pajamahadeen, I'm not sure if you are being ignorant or you just don't know the history of things... If you haven't noticed, a majority of these dishes are left over parts. - You know stuff that the white man aka 'Masta' didn't want to eat a 150 years ago. Guess who got to eat them? Yes, his slaves... Put two and two together on how they have become a delicacy today.

And as for my fave's - Roscoe's, Aunt Kizz's and Mimi's... I gotta check out some of these other hole in the wall spots you guys have mentioned!

School that dude, will ya?

And where is Mimi's located?
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject:

M&W's in Gardena off Rosecrans and Van Ness.

They have the best smothered porkchops and potatoes.

They also have fantastic peach cobbler and banana pudding.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
M&W's in Gardena off Rosecrans and Van Ness.

They have the best smothered porkchops and potatoes.

They also have fantastic peach cobbler and banana pudding.

Dayum! You just brought back some serious memories: My ex-chick and I used to go there for Monday Night Football a few years back because she wanted to learn about football and she (we) liked their short rib dinners.
Pajamahadeen
Star Player
Star Player

Location: Where one relaxes on the axis of the wheels of life

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
Pajamahadeen wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
Pajamahadeen wrote:

DAMN! Tell me why I should eat this stuff? This is like, the stuff the butcher throws away.

Chicken gizzards eek

Chicken livers

Chitterlings ("chitlins") (the cleaned and prepared intestines of hogs, slow cooked and often eaten with vinegar and hot sauce; sometimes parboiled, then battered and fried)

Country fried steak, also known as "chicken fried steak" (beef deep-fried with a crisp flour or batter coating, usually served with white gravy)

Cracklins (commonly known as pork rinds and sometimes added to cornbread batter)

Fried fish (any of several varieties of fish—especially catfish, but also whiting, porgies, bluegills—dredged in seasoned cornmeal and deep fried

Hoghead cheese (made primarily from pig snouts, lips, and ears, and frequently referred to as "souse meat" or simply "souse")

Hog maws (PIG STOMACH! )

Pigs feet (slow cooked like chitterlings, sometimes pickled and, like chitterlings, often eaten with vinegar and hot sauce)

The only thing I can reasonably justify eating off that list is the Ribs, because I love ribs!

Not once did I mention race. NOT ONCE. I thougth the ribs anc chicken were good and the rest of it seemed like butcher scrap. That's all.

May Jerry Buss drink the blood of every Celtic, Sp*r and Phoenix team player!

January 20, 2009<------- When John McCain is sworn in as President.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject:

Pajamahadeen wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
Pajamahadeen wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
Pajamahadeen wrote:

Chicken gizzards eek

Chicken livers

Hog maws (PIG STOMACH! )

Not once did I mention race. NOT ONCE. I thougth the ribs anc chicken were good and the rest of it seemed like butcher scrap. That's all.

Yet this was the only thread (out of all three threads) you decided to attack in that manner, instead of asking about the cuisine before you went into your ridiculous rant. Go figure. Hopefully you read tryangles post and learned something. But again, I'm done with you on this.
Pajamahadeen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
Pajamahadeen wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
Pajamahadeen wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
Pajamahadeen wrote:

Chicken gizzards eek

Chicken livers

Hog maws (PIG STOMACH! )

Yet this was the only thread (out of all three threads) you decided to attack in that manner, instead of asking about the cuisine before you went into your ridiculous rant. Go figure. Hopefully you read tryangles post and learned something. But again, I'm done with you on this.

Whatever. I was entirely objective on this. Chicken and ribs good, the rest is butcher scrap. That's not an attack, that's my personal taste which I'm entitled to. I don't understand how anyone would get so wound up over this.

Pajamahadeen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject:

Tryangles wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
Pajamahadeen wrote:

+1 ^

Well I didn't know that, but it still doesn't make the food any more appetizing. My response was objective and is really just about the food and not about it's origins. But thanks for the explanation.

LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject:

Any Valley soul food spots? I think I recall a Valley spot called Big Daddy's but that also could have been Vegas.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
Any Valley soul food spots? I think I recall a Valley spot called Big Daddy's but that also could have been Vegas.

Couple I remember from back in the day, but don't know if they're still around:

- Angelina's Soul Food in Burbank
- Mom's BBQ House in Van Nuys

Damn, I'm hungry.
Pajamahadeen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject:

To any who have been offended, I apologize, that was not my intent.

LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:

Couple I remember from back in the day, but don't know if they're still around:

- Angelina's Soul Food in Burbank
- Mom's BBQ House in Van Nuys

Damn, I'm hungry.

Mom's BBQ sounds a lot like Big Mama's BBQ in Pasadena.

And yeah, I'm feelin' you on the hungry!
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject:

Roscoes Chicken and Waffles
Hollywood,L.A,Pasadena,Long beach

Canter's Diner
L.A

Donahues Golden Chicken
Pomona

Joeys Bbq Shaq
Pomona and Chino

FLo's Diner
Chino Airport

Lucilles BBQ
Brea and Rancho Cucamongo
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject:

^Canter's? Off Fairfax?
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject:

If we're including "BBQ" restaurants, go to BABY BLUE'S BBQ in Venice. Their food is AWESOME. They have awesome grilled corn on the cob with Cotija cheese, their mac and cheese is excellent. Pulled pork, grilled bbq shrimp, its serious grubbin'.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> The Best Of... All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: