Official: Ariza for Cook & Mo (DONE DEAL!!!)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject:

More athleticism, less Cookie. Works for me.
LakerSince72
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: PHIL IS SECRETLY PISSED OFF AT THIS TRADE, imho......

I think Phil is annoyed by the trade. I read a PJ quote saying basically "we just traded away two veterans who fit well into out system." Doesn't sound too good for the Lakers' FO/PJ contract extension. They really needed to consult with the coaching staff on such moves and you KNOW Mitch didn't do that!
LakersFanESS
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject:

Billy wrote:
My wife is as happy as I was when I told her that Cook was traded to Orlando because she hated me yelling at the TV when Cook was on the court "TAKE THE STUPID COOK OFF ......"

That is funny as hell because the same thing happened when I told my girlfriend Cook was traded!!! She was like, "they traded him, congratulations. Did another team really want him?"

I also had an epiphany when I realized that the reason Cook started and played so many minutes recently was because they were showcasing him, not because Phil was going senile. Much to be happy about today guys...
LakerSince72
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject:

This was a purely economic trade. Cookies value for what he was getting paid simply wasn't there. Since Ariza is no two-for-one type player you gotta believe the Lakers FO wanted to create more room for an impact player or MLE down the road.

The biggest problem with this trade everyone will see when we are at one of the cheating areanas of the NBA and all our bigs get into ticky-tack foul trouble and Kwame's still out.

If only Kwame healed like Wolverine..... and had big (not sharp) hands like Wolverine too!!!
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: PHIL IS SECRETLY PISSED OFF AT THIS TRADE, imho......

LakerSince72 wrote:
I think Phil is annoyed by the trade. I read a PJ quote saying basically "we just traded away two veterans who fit well into out system." Doesn't sound too good for the Lakers' FO/PJ contract extension. They really needed to consult with the coaching staff on such moves and you KNOW Mitch didn't do that!

Screw Phil, he can quit. We don't need him or his ancient offense.
MasterRaider
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject:

(bleep) Phil and his old farting brain.

Mitch is a genius.

EHL_2 wrote:
Phil Jackson is never wrong
Luke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: PHIL IS SECRETLY PISSED OFF AT THIS TRADE, imho......

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
LakerSince72 wrote:

Give us a defensive-minded coach, please !
yellowledbetter
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject:

even if Ariza doesn't bring much to the table offensively, its not like Mo did either. He got most of his points on putbacks and hustle buckets. I think Ariza can fill that void, so essentially we get to swap Mo for Ariza, which normally i'd just prefer to keep Mo since he's familiar with the offense, but when you are given the chance to unload Cook, his waste of a roster spot, and his contract you have to pull the trigger.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject:

Yeah I'd be glad that Mitch had the cajones to stand up to Phil and address defense for once.
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject:

yessssss

ariza is a nice player, athletic defensive swingman

AND WE GOT RID OF COOK

Praise the lord!
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
Yeah I'd be glad that Mitch had the cajones to stand up to Phil and address defense for once.

dont' you wish that were true...

mitch had the cajones because he was under orders from jerry buss to cut payroll - wer'e paying lux tax...

that 2 mil we saved is actually 4 mil saved.

however, needs to be said, that for an economic move that was hard to accoomplish in the first place (because of cook's byc), mitch has done well to get areza.

now he needs to move sasha for a sg.
any sg.
DzLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:
Mitch: We don't know who's going to take advantage of Mo's replacement at the 2. We have enough players in the backcourt to make it work

Translation: Jimmy Buss told me that I better trade some of the guys taking minutes away from my 2 selections (Karl, Crittenton)....

Lakers just lost 2 of their more veteran, experienced players for a guy that will help .. but not anytime soon.

As I said, I think this is a good move but I also feel it means further moves are being planned.

That translation is wrong. Reason? Critt and Karl haven't gotten minutes yet over Sasha. Vujacic, and as Kupchak alluded too, maybe even Ariza will be taking Mo's minutes.

And as far as the players we traded, does it really matter how veteran or experienced they are if they both suck?

Last edited by DzLaker on Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject:

wow...props to the CL insider for getting it right...

props to Mitch for getting rid of Cook

lol

we'll see how Ariza performs...a lot of players get lost in the triangle, asking what the F is going to happen next on plays...
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Elloel
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject:

I've liked Ariza since his UCLA days... always thought he had a lot of potential.

If we were looking for a defensive-minded wing player, can anyone think of a player they would rather have? Even if you could imagine a better player, would Maurice Evans and Brian Cook be enough to get him into a Laker uniform?

This would be an amazing trade for the Lakers if they got nothing back whatsoever. But Trevor Ariza is long and athletic, a great finisher, a great rebounder for his size, and a very good defender. He brings a skill set to our team that we did not have before.

Without seeing him play, I hope Ariza likes it enough here to pick up his player option, or at least give the Lakers a good chance to re-sign him. He's a quality role player who brings Turiaf-type energy to the team when he's on the floor.
dontbreakmyballz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

LakerSanity wrote:
This basically puts Rad at PF and leaves one roster spot open for another PF. I hoping that spot will be filled either through trade or by Chris Webber or PJ Brown. With Kwame out, we only have three big men - Ronny, Mihm, and Bynum. I would expect us to pick up another big VERY soon.

Was Cook really considered a bigman? I think playing 5 on 4 would have sometimes been better than putting Cook in the game. He was good for garbage time 3's and 6 fouls, nothing more. Sorry to see Mo gone although he didn't seem like as much of a spark as he was last year,
dontbreakmyballz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

LakerSanity wrote:
This basically puts Rad at PF and leaves one roster spot open for another PF. I hoping that spot will be filled either through trade or by Chris Webber or PJ Brown. With Kwame out, we only have three big men - Ronny, Mihm, and Bynum. I would expect us to pick up another big VERY soon.

Was Cook really considered a bigman? I think playing 5 on 4 would have sometimes been better than putting Cook in the game. He was good for garbage time 3's and 6 fouls, nothing more. Sorry to see Mo gone although he didn't seem like as much of a spark as he was last year,
tw-lakbfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject:

It's good to get rid of Cookie, but adding Mo Evans the energy guy to the Magics? Is it too much?
glassbullet31
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: PHIL IS SECRETLY PISSED OFF AT THIS TRADE, imho......

Luke wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
LakerSince72 wrote:

Give us a defensive-minded coach, please !

that quote was taken out of context...phil was praising ariza for his defense and said that they traded two guys who fit "relatively well" in the system....garuntee phil signed off on it.
The_Lakers_Show
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject:

Who am I supposed to vote for 1st in the Lakers Offseason Elimination Game now?
Go Trojans

Buck Foston

Last edited by The_Lakers_Show on Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
drew4lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject:

LakersFanESS wrote:
Billy wrote:
My wife is as happy as I was when I told her that Cook was traded to Orlando because she hated me yelling at the TV when Cook was on the court "TAKE THE STUPID COOK OFF ......"

That is funny as hell because the same thing happened when I told my girlfriend Cook was traded!!! She was like, "they traded him, congratulations. Did another team really want him?"

I also had an epiphany when I realized that the reason Cook started and played so many minutes recently was because they were showcasing him, not because Phil was going senile. Much to be happy about today guys...

I agree with the showcasing point.

I don't see any issue with Phil saying something nice about the guys on their way out. I didn't expect him to say something like "I'm excited to have gotten rid of these scrubs."
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject:

Mitch says too much duplication with Vlad and Cook, Evans and Farmar. Wants Ariza to guard SFs like Marion. I like it, especially if they can get a vet big man with the roster spot. More balance, less duplication, more athleticism. Vlad looking great with the starting unit tonight.
rpadma12
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject:

awesome no more Cook. Mitch is a ? wow.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: PHIL IS SECRETLY PISSED OFF AT THIS TRADE, imho......

LakerSince72 wrote:

I am sure you have this on good word, right?

:roll:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Brand New
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject:

LOL, about time we got rid of Cook.

First Smush

Then Cook

Who's Next??
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject:

jacksonjoe69 wrote:
Actually, if anyone watches the Magic play Cookie would be perfect for their system. All they do is drive and kick and when Howard gets doubled he dumps the ball back out.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Cook was drafted to play along with Shaq, and if Shaq had stayed, he would have worked better. But once Shaq left, his usefulness has waned.

Now playing along a low post player like Dwight will really show off Cook's game.

I am glad Cook is gone, but I wish him well in a better situation.

But toughness?

Hey, Eric, had you heard about this earlier? Has this been in the works for a while? Anything else going on you want to share with us?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10
Jump to: