HD-DVD
46%
 46%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 43

TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject:

FYI for those people who bought an HD DVD Player.... in some cases it's not a full refund, but hey, something is better than nothing...

Quote:
Wal-Mart Stores is offering refunds for HD DVD players purchased on or after Nov. 1. To qualify, customers must return the players by April 30 and have a receipt in hand. Original packaging isn't required.

Meanwhile, Best Buy is giving $50 gift cards to customers who bought an HD DVD player or an HD DVD unit for a Microsoft Xbox 360 videogame system anytime before Feb. 23. Gift-card recipients can keep their HD DVD units.

Quote:
People looking to get rid of a player altogether -- regardless of where it was purchased -- can check out Best Buy's online trade-in center.

You're not looking at great prices when trading in, but it's something. For instance, you'd get $148.50 for a Toshiba HD XA2 unit originally priced at $1,000, and $2.70 apiece for HD DVDs.

Article
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
I've been a Blu-ray proponent but safari has a point. Who wants to drop hundreds of dollars on a player that might not just be obsolete but almost useless whenever firmware version x.y is released?

As for those suggesting the PS3 player, it leaves a lot to be desired. The remote is Bluetooth-based, meaning it is incompatible with universal remotes, which are IR-based. Furthermore, it does not support the upcoming high-definition audio formats.

We shouldn't have to compromise if we're putting that much money down on the player. I can't wait to build my home theater this summer, but until these matters are resolved, I'll be very hesitant to purchase ANY Blu-ray player.

I picked the damn thing up again, even though ill probably use it as a Blu Ray player. I will be buying games on the ps3 though if they are available on both systems because the ps3 is the more reliable hardware. The ps3 got profile 2.0 alittle while ago and PS3 DTS-HD Master Audio was released today. Im looking into picking up a new reciever and some speakers. I was looking at the Onkyo 605 but recently saw Sony released a new line of recievers, the DG720 looks pretty good and its a 100 bucks less than the Onkoyo 605. Those are good entry level receivers though but i think they can take care of all the new HD audio formats. For the remote issue i believe it is Nykon that sells a remote with an attachment that you plug into the ps3 usb port and you can route your harmony remote through that.

http://reviews.cnet.com/game-accessories/nyko-blu-wave-infrared/4505-10110_7-32608476.html
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject:

lakers0505 wrote:
gng930 wrote:
I've been a Blu-ray proponent but safari has a point. Who wants to drop hundreds of dollars on a player that might not just be obsolete but almost useless whenever firmware version x.y is released?

As for those suggesting the PS3 player, it leaves a lot to be desired. The remote is Bluetooth-based, meaning it is incompatible with universal remotes, which are IR-based. Furthermore, it does not support the upcoming high-definition audio formats.

We shouldn't have to compromise if we're putting that much money down on the player. I can't wait to build my home theater this summer, but until these matters are resolved, I'll be very hesitant to purchase ANY Blu-ray player.

I picked the damn thing up again, even though ill probably use it as a Blu Ray player. I will be buying games on the ps3 though if they are available on both systems because the ps3 is the more reliable hardware. The ps3 got profile 2.0 alittle while ago and PS3 DTS-HD Master Audio was released today. Im looking into picking up a new reciever and some speakers. I was looking at the Onkyo 605 but recently saw Sony released a new line of recievers, the DG720 looks pretty good and its a 100 bucks less than the Onkoyo 605. Those are good entry level receivers though but i think they can take care of all the new HD audio formats. For the remote issue i believe it is Nykon that sells a remote with an attachment that you plug into the ps3 usb port and you can route your harmony remote through that.

http://reviews.cnet.com/game-accessories/nyko-blu-wave-infrared/4505-10110_7-32608476.html

Thanks for bringing all that to my attention. I too caught news of the Nyko remote and recent addition of DTS-HD decoding. The PS3 is becoming a more attractive option. If only there weren't so many good games that could be a potential distraction.

The Nyko option is interesting and I guess I can live without an on/off function, but again why the need to compromise? What have you heard about this solution?

http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/28/ir2bt-infrared-to-bluetooth-converter-now-on-sale-ps3-owners-re/
http://www.ir2bt.com

The SR605 was going to be my choice but I'm glad you gave me a heads up on those SONY units. The price point is pretty attractive; it now seems pointless to spend extra money on a receiver that decodes all the new audio formats when the PS3 already does it for you. That just means more money for speakers.

BTW, you've got PM.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:32 am    Post subject:

bump.

Warner Home Videos online store has a 30% coupon that you can use on Blu Rays. Seeing as the prices are outrageous in stores, you can pick most flicks for about 15 bucks online, over 50 is free shipping or 10 bucks for rush delivery.

Code : ANWBTS
dna.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:19 am    Post subject:

^ thanks for the hookup man! I'll take a 30% savings any time I can... hopefully they have the Ultimate Matrix set available on Blu Ray there soon...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> The Best Of... All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8
Jump to: