HD-DVD
46%
 46%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 43

BoredTiger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject:

I'm glad SONY did payoff whatever studios and retail chains.

BLU-RAY is the superior format. ANYONE that works with this medium understands the technical advantage of BLU-RAY discs. It's got more storage = MORE data = HIGHER quality.

HD-DVD was just a stop gap solution for getting more data onto discs that can be pressed out of the same factory as DVDs (minimizing rehaul costs to their production systems). Obviously, there are some modifications needed for pressing HD-DVD discs vs. DVD, but the complete rehaul of BLU-RAY (good one Sony) was probably the ONLY reason TOSHIBA had a chance with HD-DVD.
kevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:05 am    Post subject:

Ha Ha Ha Ha to all you Xbox owers who bought that HD DVD player.

When will MS offer a Blu Ray one?
Lakersfield
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject:

BoredTiger wrote:

BLU-RAY is the superior format. ANYONE that works with this medium understands the technical advantage of BLU-RAY discs. It's got more storage = MORE data = HIGHER quality.

HD-DVD was just a stop gap solution for getting more data onto discs that can be pressed out of the same factory as DVDs (minimizing rehaul costs to their production systems). Obviously, there are some modifications needed for pressing HD-DVD discs vs. DVD, but the complete rehaul of BLU-RAY (good one Sony) was probably the ONLY reason TOSHIBA had a chance with HD-DVD.

For most part Blu-Ray is overkill in storage. HD-DVD has plenty of storage for a movie. Who cares about Director comments and such.
Far as picture quality I am sure a 1080P HD-DVD players is just as good as Blu-Ray but at a much cheaper cost cost.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject:

LINK
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
kevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:44 am    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
LINK

Too funny.
Pajamahadeen
Star Player
Star Player

Location: Where one relaxes on the axis of the wheels of life

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject:

Toshiba pulls

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSL1627196120080216

And wikipedia is referring to HD DVD in the past tense.

May Jerry Buss drink the blood of every Celtic, Sp*r and Phoenix team player!

January 20, 2009<------- When John McCain is sworn in as President.
srm90
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:54 pm    Post subject:

Format wars are annoying. I'll buy whatever becomes the standard. Until then, I'm not throwing my money into something that could end up obsolete.
BoredTiger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:57 am    Post subject:

Lakersfield wrote:
BoredTiger wrote:

For most part Blu-Ray is overkill in storage. HD-DVD has plenty of storage for a movie. Who cares about Director comments and such.
Far as picture quality I am sure a 1080P HD-DVD players is just as good as Blu-Ray but at a much cheaper cost cost.

Uh...are you seriously asking if people care about the Director Commentaries, Deleted Scenes, Featurettes, etc.?

That's the whole market behind DVDs and now BLU-RAY. Nobody just puts out SUPERBIT like discs anymore, because you can produce a pristine transfer AND have all the specials on the disc.

I for one buy movies (DVD and now Blu-Ray discs) based upon the kind of specials that are available on the disc.

I haven't even bought any of the TERMINATOR films, simply because the specials are all the same as those found on the regular DVDs, which I already own.

I'll wait for them to re-release them (which is inevitable) on some anniversary or follow-up film (Terminator 4 with Christian Bale coming in a couple of years).

STAR WARS on BLU-RAY will undoubtedly be chock full of special features, along with the MATRIX trilogy for BLU-RAY, as well as INDIANA JONES (BLU-RAY) and this summer's release of the BATMAN anthology in BLU-RAY (which includes BATMAN BEGINS - BluRay).

So, people DO care about the director commentaries and specials on the discs. HD-DVD is dead, and there's no point crying about it.
safari_in_cali
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:32 am    Post subject:

The only advantage Blu-ray has over HD-DVD is more storage, but even HD-DVD provides plenty of storage for the movie, uncompressed sound and all the extras. Aside from the storage, HD-DVD is a superior format because it's cheaper to produce and consumer friendlier. HD-DVD players have more features compared to the latest Blu-ray players, and they can be easily upgraded by new firmware. New versions of Blu-ray format will only be supported by the new players, which means you'll have to buy a new player that supports the new functionality. That means more money for Sony and other Blu-ray player manufacturers. Now that Blu-ray won, the competition is over, so don't expect the prices of Blu-ray discs and players to go down any time soon.
2Cleva
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:59 am    Post subject:

Quote:
HD-DVD is a superior format because it's cheaper to produce and consumer friendlier.

Its better because its cheaper? It seems that people who support HD-DVD look at the debate with their wallet in mind.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject:

safari_in_cali wrote:
The only advantage Blu-ray has over HD-DVD is more storage, but even HD-DVD provides plenty of storage for the movie, uncompressed sound and all the extras. Aside from the storage, HD-DVD is a superior format because it's cheaper to produce and consumer friendlier. HD-DVD players have more features compared to the latest Blu-ray players, and they can be easily upgraded by new firmware. New versions of Blu-ray format will only be supported by the new players, which means you'll have to buy a new player that supports the new functionality. That means more money for Sony and other Blu-ray player manufacturers. Now that Blu-ray won, the competition is over, so don't expect the prices of Blu-ray discs and players to go down any time soon.

Gets it.
2Cleva
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject:

As the technology becomes used more, it becomes cheaper to manufacture and then prices will come down. Happens in all of the electronic industry.

From what I understood - the main Blu-Ray player (PS3) already supports the future Blu-Ray format.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
kevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:
safari_in_cali wrote:

Gets it.

I believe the players will come down much like HDTVs have come down drastically and with better technology inside. It is a matter of critical mass which both the studios and the player makers want to have. They won't elevate the price just for the sake of quick buck when they need consumer support behind them to make it a success.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject:

2Cleva wrote:
As the technology becomes used more, it becomes cheaper to manufacture and then prices will come down. Happens in all of the electronic industry.

From what I understood - the main Blu-Ray player (PS3) already supports the future Blu-Ray format.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject:

Unless they are BD-Live (profile 2.0) they are not.

I think PS is just got 1.1 in December. Hopefully they will update to 2.0.

2.0 titles started coming out last month but there are no BD players that can take advantage of the features and are not expected until late this year.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject:

Quote:
What 2.0 brings
The 2.0 profile brings picture-in-picture and online functionality to Blu-ray discs; these movies will have "BD-Live" stickers on the case so you know certain features will require 2.0-compliant players. Discs that only require 1.1 profile players will be adorned with "Bonus View" stickers. Are we confused yet?

In contrast, HD DVD has required an Internet connection and local storage from day one, and certain HD DVD movies already use picture-in-picture and online functionality for their bonus features.

What will Blu-ray do to compete with these features? At CES, FOX Home Entertainment showed off a Blu-ray version of Aliens Vs. Predator that featured an online, multiplayer game that had you throwing virtual knives and shooting at the aliens on the screen using the remote and competing against other players remotely. Other exhibitors were showing off trivia games with a PlayStation 3 as a demo unit. In other words, vendors and Blu-ray partners already have the 2.0 profile running on the PS3, allowing them to use the PS3 controller and remote to design BD-Live titles.

While HD DVD may have done a better job of future-proofing their players, the immaturity of the Blu-ray spec hasn't proven to be an insurmountable obstacle. At CES, the Blu-ray Disc Association announced that 3.5 million Blu-ray players had been sold to date. Of those, 3 million were PlayStation 3s, the most future-proof Blu-ray player on the market. Still, this means that roughly 15 percent of the early adopters are going to be frozen out of the latest and greatest Blu-ray features with BD-Live. That's bad news for current owners of stand-alone players, but with the price of the PlayStation 3 now down to $399.99 and the format wars shaping up nicely in Blu-ray's favor, the system may actually be less expensive and more powerful than the latest-generation standalone players.

Article (a little dated)
2Cleva
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Toshiba expected to announce death of HD DVD tomorrow, stop sales by March
Posted Feb 18th 2008 2:01PM by Ryan Block
Filed under: HDTV, Home Entertainment

Despite Red's inability to make any real public statement, Japanese publication Nikkei has it that Toshiba president Atsutoshi Nishida will be announcing the final discontinuation of HD DVD tomorrow, as well as halted sales of hardware and media by March (as in days from now). Apparently Toshiba will pull its units from retail shelves, but has no intention to give burned early adopters any refunds (no kidding?); it sounds like the ceasefire will include the bare PC drives as well, so those hoping to keep using HD DVD as a personal data storage medium probably won't have much luck. Apparently the announcement will come alongside Toshiba's plans to build new semiconductor fabs, which we're sure they'll try to spin as an advancement that far overshadows the hill of beans (read: hundreds of millions) they've lost in the format war. [Warning: subscription required.]

http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/18/toshiba-expected-to-announce-death-of-hd-dvd-tomorrow-stop-sale/
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject:

I think HD-DVD players are Linux.

Watch a hack come out that will allow an external BD drive thus creating a cheap combo player with great upscaling.
safari_in_cali
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject:

2Cleva wrote:
Quote:
HD-DVD is a superior format because it's cheaper to produce and consumer friendlier.

Its better because its cheaper? It seems that people who support HD-DVD look at the debate with their wallet in mind.

I don't mind paying a higher price for something that is better, but I don't like paying inflated prices for Blu-ray if I can get the same and better features with HD-DVD. This is the case where more expensive doesn't mean better. The prices of Blu-ray players will come down eventually, but it's going to take a few years until they reach the current prices of HD-DVD players.
2Cleva
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject:

safari_in_cali wrote:
2Cleva wrote:
Quote:

I don't mind paying a higher price for something that is better, but I don't like paying inflated prices for Blu-ray if I can get the same and better features with HD-DVD. This is the case where more expensive doesn't mean better. The prices of Blu-ray players will come down eventually, but it's going to take a few years until they reach the current prices of HD-DVD players.

So your issue is the price of the players, but not the movies (which cost the same?)

I know the PS3 dropped in price in a large part because it is now cheaper to build Blu-Ray lasers than when they first came out.

The only difference in price now is the initial jump - after that its all BR.
safari_in_cali
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject:

2Cleva wrote:
safari_in_cali wrote:
2Cleva wrote:
Quote:

So your issue is the price of the players, but not the movies (which cost the same?)

I know the PS3 dropped in price in a large part because it is now cheaper to build Blu-Ray lasers than when they first came out.

The only difference in price now is the initial jump - after that its all BR.

My issue is paying a high price for a player, which cannot be upgraded by new firmware, so essentially the player will become outdated in a year. Current HD-DVD players already support more features compared to Blu-ray, they can be upgraded, and they cost less.
2Cleva
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject:

Yet the PS3 can be upgraded and already supports future BR...
kenkoy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject:

I own two Toshibas (HD DVD) and one Sony (Blu-Ray). Both provide breathtaking picture and immersive sound (depending on your playback system). I give a slight edge to HD DVD in picture quality, and an edge to Blu-Ray in audio. Both have annoying hardware and software issues, but I don't obsess about those like others. Disc prices are still ridiculous, but I don't buy much to begin with. Thank God for Blockbuster rentals!
safari_in_cali
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject:

2Cleva wrote:
Yet the PS3 can be upgraded and already supports future BR...

I am not a gamer, all I want is a player. Why should I pay extra for a game console if I won't be playing games on it and only watching movies? I am not against Blu-ray, I just don't want to purchase a new player every year. I think it's reasonable as a consumer.
kevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject:

Kind of funny that we're still arguing over a format war that has all but been decided. It is like arguing your player deserves the MVP when the trophy has already been awarded.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> The Best Of... All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8
Jump to: