46%
 46%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 43

TNLakersFanInLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject:

mike_dee23 wrote:
To be honest, I am waiting for Apple to start selling HD movie/tv show downloads. Once that happens, I will buy an AppleTV box and just download everything to that.

Yup
Monta Ellis: "Kobe is #1, I'm #2, LeBron is #3."
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject:

TNLakersFan wrote:
mike_dee23 wrote:
To be honest, I am waiting for Apple to start selling HD movie/tv show downloads. Once that happens, I will buy an AppleTV box and just download everything to that.

Yup

Dont think we are close to seeing that mainstream right now, maybe in the future. I ripped my King Kong HD DVD to my laptop and it came up to 27.4 Gigs for a full HD DVD rip. We should have an idication of where this format is going, i had believed it could become two formats possibly but the movie industry isnt very happy about that. Either Blu Ray or HD DVD takes the lead or maybe something else is brought about to end this. The HD DVD mass sale that was started by Walmart could turn out to be huge. After Walmart did this Best Buy, Circuit City and Frys answered with their own sale of HD DVD players for 98 bucks. Its expected to happen a couple more times as the year winds down. They flew of shelves also, with HD DVD already controling the install base this only increased it that much more. I think this turns out to be the blow that shift HD DVD over to Warner. After that u could easily see fox and disyne moving over to HD DVD or becoming nuetral if HD DVD were to take of with warner brothers. The main loser in this fiasco is Sony, because they have attached blu ray and their ps3 system. Other partners wont give a (bleep) jumping ship and letting blu ray die, it depends on where the money is.
jamas33
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:27 am    Post subject:

lakers0505 wrote:
TNLakersFan wrote:
mike_dee23 wrote:

Yup

Dont think we are close to seeing that mainstream right now, maybe in the future. I ripped my King Kong HD DVD to my laptop and it came up to 27.4 Gigs for a full HD DVD rip. We should have an idication of where this format is going, i had believed it could become two formats possibly but the movie industry isnt very happy about that. Either Blu Ray or HD DVD takes the lead or maybe something else is brought about to end this. The HD DVD mass sale that was started by Walmart could turn out to be huge. After Walmart did this Best Buy, Circuit City and Frys answered with their own sale of HD DVD players for 98 bucks. Its expected to happen a couple more times as the year winds down. They flew of shelves also, with HD DVD already controling the install base this only increased it that much more. I think this turns out to be the blow that shift HD DVD over to Warner. After that u could easily see fox and disyne moving over to HD DVD or becoming nuetral if HD DVD were to take of with warner brothers. The main loser in this fiasco is Sony, because they have attached blu ray and their ps3 system. Other partners wont give a (bleep) jumping ship and letting blu ray die, it depends on where the money is.
Great Take on this competition. As far as the HD vs Blu Ray argument is concern. I was gonna wait it out until last Friday, A friend of mines got a couple of those 98 dollar Toshiba HD DVD from Walmart, sold me one for 150 bucks and I've been on an HD DVD Buying Spree... Just incredible pics.. I think for the consumers.. the picture quality between Blu Ray vs HD is apples and oranges. CNET rated HD pics better, but for one site picking the HD format another site will pick the Blu Ray format... BOTTOM LINE.. when you can get an HD Player for 150 bucks or regular price 249.99 and a blu ray player cost 499. its too easy to say which way I'll lean to. I think the PS3 with Blu Ray capability is a great buy, but I dont know about fellow audio/videophiles out there. I kinda like stand alone units instead of a gaming system that plays dvd... Well thats all folks, but let me tell you one thing.. DAMN THOSE HD DVD LOOKS FANTASTIC... they even make my old DVD look great with the upconvertion...
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:09 am    Post subject:

msb212 wrote:
well, I have over 1000 dvds so I am screwed either way

Exactlty why I won't buy either.... I'll wait for streaming/download....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
D's Advocate
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject:

Blu-ray is the safer bet. Just between Fox and Sony, they own a majority of every color movie ever made. Sony is the top dog with blu-ray, and fox owns the security protocol for the disks, so neither is making movies for the other side. Disney is an exclusive and isn't going to switch over any time soon either since Blu-ray went with Java for the menus at the express request of Disney. They also have control of the personal computer industry having both Dell and Apple as board members. Not only that, but HD-dvd is way behind on the pc drive market, with pretty much only toshiba making them and including them in computers. The scratch proof coating also makes blu-ray much more desirable for the rental industry since the largest source of loss for them is disk scratching.

The one true benefit of HD-dvd was that it was cheaper, but every month that goes by the gap shortens. Toshiba, the sole owner of HD-dvd, now manufactures the Cell processor for the ps3, so the hd disk war actually ends up hurting their interests in the long run. I wouldn't be surprised if this recent price dump on the drives wasn't really just an effort for stores to drop the drives before the news of Toshiba's capitulation made the news.

I don't see streaming replacing either format either. Even digital hd from the local cable provider doesn't look as good as the hd media played from an hd-player because of the compression. The state of broadband in america isn't to a point where we'll be getting the same quality image from streaming any time soon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number Reply with quote
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject:

Fox doesn't own the copy protection for Blu-ray. In fact, both Blu-ray and HD-DVD use the same primary method of copy protection (AACS) which is maintained by a group of companies that includes pretty much all the major players from both formats (Apple, Microsoft, Toshiba, Sony, etc.). Blu-ray uses a couple other technologies in addition to AACS.

I'm not sure why Disney would request that they include the Java platform, but it's true they decided to go with Sun's Java rather than Microsoft's HDi after some back and forth on the issue. HD-DVD is going with HDi.

As for the PC market, both the boards for Blu-ray and HD-DVD count HP as a member. Plus, Microsoft and Intel are also backing HD-DVD, while Apple is on the Blu-ray side. Toshiba isn't the sole owner of the HD-DVD format, though they are at the forefront of manufacturing players. I seriously doubt that the recent price drop is any sort of hint at capitulation.
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject:

The writing has been on the wall since this whole format war started. I'm actually in the business of preparing features and television shows for both HD-DVD & Blu-Ray. I had always said that Blu-Ray will easily win (if there is going to be a winner) simply because of who is backing it. The major studios (Sony, Fox, Disney, MGM, etc) are backing Blu-Ray. HD-DVD in no way can compete with them. Bottom line, people will want movies in high definition. Hence they'll migrate to the studios producing those movies. As a result, Blu-Ray has been winning this war.

With that being said, HD-DVD will is making a huge push because of their drastic drop in prices for their players. But ultimately, this "closing of the gap" between the two formats will only prove temporary because in the end, those major studios are still backing Blu-Ray.
jamas33
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject:

Big Game James wrote:
The writing has been on the wall since this whole format war started. I'm actually in the business of preparing features and television shows for both HD-DVD & Blu-Ray. I had always said that Blu-Ray will easily win (if there is going to be a winner) simply because of who is backing it. The major studios (Sony, Fox, Disney, MGM, etc) are backing Blu-Ray. HD-DVD in no way can compete with them. Bottom line, people will want movies in high definition. Hence they'll migrate to the studios producing those movies. As a result, Blu-Ray has been winning this war.

With that being said, HD-DVD will is making a huge push because of their drastic drop in prices for their players. But ultimately, this "closing of the gap" between the two formats will only prove temporary because in the end, those major studios are still backing Blu-Ray.

Law of economics. Supply and Demand.
If the price of HD DVD players makes it very affordable. Then the demand for HD DVD will rise. The Major Studios is all about money. Sure they back Blu Ray (Sony, Fox , Disney) vs HD (Paramount, Universal). The key here is Demand. That will be the key to who wins this battle (the truth is there will be no winners, its just a way for ALL the STUDIOS to train us into buying the DIGITAL Service. Kinda like the iTunes for movies. I was gonna wait it out, but the price drop on HD DVD was too great of a deal to pass up. I'm enjoying HD DVD and probably have bought 15 HD DVD's within the past week.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject:

Exick wrote:
Fox doesn't own the copy protection for Blu-ray. In fact, both Blu-ray and HD-DVD use the same primary method of copy protection (AACS) which is maintained by a group of companies that includes pretty much all the major players from both formats (Apple, Microsoft, Toshiba, Sony, etc.). Blu-ray uses a couple other technologies in addition to AACS.

I'm not sure why Disney would request that they include the Java platform, but it's true they decided to go with Sun's Java rather than Microsoft's HDi after some back and forth on the issue. HD-DVD is going with HDi.

As for the PC market, both the boards for Blu-ray and HD-DVD count HP as a member. Plus, Microsoft and Intel are also backing HD-DVD, while Apple is on the Blu-ray side. Toshiba isn't the sole owner of the HD-DVD format, though they are at the forefront of manufacturing players. I seriously doubt that the recent price drop is any sort of hint at capitulation.

Quote:
BD+ encryption cracked already
Only a matter of time

Clement James, vnunet.com 01 Nov 2007
Controversial DVD decryption firm SlySoft may already have broken the 'unbreakable' BD+ protection afforded to Blu-ray discs.

The company's latest release of AnyDVD HD software comes with support for full HD-DVD and Blu-Ray movie discs.

Until now, AnyDVD software was only capable of cracking Blu-ray's older AACS (Advanced Access Content System) security which is also used by the HD-DVD camp. But BD+ is a new layer of security exclusive to Blu-ray.

So far only The Day After Tomorrow and Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer have contained the BD+ layer.

SlySoft's BD+ cracking code is not thought to be fully implemented in the latest release of AnyDVD HD, but some users claim that it does work.

A user on the SlySoft forum known as 'manixx' said of Fantastic Four: "I am backing up my second copy as I tex, it plays fine on my ps3 as well. I guess the sky's the limit, no problem did anyone else have this success? "

SlySoft is based in Antigua, where it can apparently get away with creating software that directly breaches Digital Millennium Copyright Act and EU Directive copy protection laws.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject:

jamas33 wrote:
Big Game James wrote:

If the price of HD DVD players makes it very affordable. Then the demand for HD DVD will rise. The Major Studios is all about money. Sure they back Blu Ray (Sony, Fox , Disney) vs HD (Paramount, Universal). The key here is Demand. That will be the key to who wins this battle (the truth is there will be no winners, its just a way for ALL the STUDIOS to train us into buying the DIGITAL Service. Kinda like the iTunes for movies. I was gonna wait it out, but the price drop on HD DVD was too great of a deal to pass up. I'm enjoying HD DVD and probably have bought 15 HD DVD's within the past week.

NVBM - That code gives you 25% of from warner home videos.

http://whv.warnerbros.com/WHVPORTAL/Portal/homepage.jsp

I actually ordered the harry potter/oceans box sets on preorder a couple months ago because of the code. This is a new code for november. I ended up picking up the harry potter set and ocean set for 15 bucks a movie, i think oceans release on the 11th this month and harry potter is december 11th.
kenkoy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject:

I went HD DVD first primarily due to the low entry cost. I paid $399 for a Toshiba XA1 (+5 free movies) back in March. I prefer the content on the HD DVD side, but the lure of Blu-Ray is getting tougher to resist. Disney movies, David Gilmour and Shakira on Bluray
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject:

kenkoy wrote:
...Shakira on Bluray

mmmmmmmmm... Shakira.
jamas33
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject:

lakers0505 wrote:
jamas33 wrote:
Big Game James wrote:

NVBM - That code gives you 25% of from warner home videos.

http://whv.warnerbros.com/WHVPORTAL/Portal/homepage.jsp

I actually ordered the harry potter/oceans box sets on preorder a couple months ago because of the code. This is a new code for november. I ended up picking up the harry potter set and ocean set for 15 bucks a movie, i think oceans release on the 11th this month and harry potter is december 11th.

Thank you Thank you Thank you
re4ee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject:

BOTH
Lakersfield
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject:

Can a HD DVD owner tell me how does the regular DVD look like with Up Conversion?
Does it fill out the screen or is there still black bars on the top & bottom.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject:

Lakersfield wrote:
Can a HD DVD owner tell me how does the regular DVD look like with Up Conversion?

Black Bars has nothing to do with quality, its determined according to which screen format the movie was orginally shot in.
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject:

re4ee wrote:
BOTH

LG and someone else I can't remember make a combo player as well.
Lakersfield
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject:

Exick wrote:
re4ee wrote:
BOTH

I was reading the reviews on CC website and one of the combo players got a really bad review.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject:

Lakersfield wrote:
Exick wrote:
re4ee wrote:
BOTH

I was reading the reviews on CC website and one of the combo players got a really bad review.

Yea the orginal L.G players i wouldnt recomend, all the features or high def arent in it. Also the Blu Ray format isnt a finalized product, so all blu ray discs wont work on older players. Not sure if they have finalized it now, but i know that had been the case where newer discs had the potential to not work on older hardware.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject:

Lakersfield wrote:

you have no idea how evil full screen is. those black bars mean that you're seeing what is intended to be in the frame. full screen means your movies are chopped, recut and edited to fit the screen

would you be satisfied going to see the Mona Lisa and only getting a smaller frame that just shows her nose?
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject:

My new plasma upscales from my 3 year old standard dvd player so well I am in no hurry, I can wait for a winner
dirka dirka
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:56 am    Post subject:

yeah, i have a 1080p 42 inch lcd and honestly, when im laying in bed watching a movie from 12 feet away or so quality really doesn't make any difference at all between dvd and hdvd/bluray that I can notice.

when ya get close you can definitely see it...hell regular tv doesnt even look bad from a distance
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:
My new plasma upscales from my 3 year old standard dvd player so well I am in no hurry, I can wait for a winner

If you like upscaling DVD players, you probably enjoy your Pro-Logic surround sound also!
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject:

I have Onkyo and AV123 thank you very much
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Format war fanboys shut down AVS Forum

Anyone who's ever visited AVS Forum--probably the largest online forum for audio/visual discussion--knows that people can get carried away. And anyone who has dared to venture in the HD DVD and Blu-ray forum is well aware of rampant fanboy flame wars--the kind that used to be reserved for game consoles.

Well apparently a couple of the AV geeks have gone too far, which has led to AVS Forum moderators to completely shut down the HD DVD and Blu-ray forums until the end of the week. And in case you think it's an overreaction, check out this quote from the letter they posted to AVS members:

We have seen members attacking other members not only in debate, which is the right way, but with physical threats that have involved police and possible legal action.

Wow. The format war has gotten pretty ugly between Blu-ray and HD DVD, but this is the first instance of physical threats that we're aware of. We're also sure it's no coincidence this shutdown has occurred directly following the $99 HD DVD player sale at Wal-Mart and Best Buy--which is just like pouring gasoline on the already raging flame wars.

Since AVS Forum is always an interesting place to see exactly what's brewing in the rumor mill, let's hope cooler heads prevail so everyone can get back to discussing the new high-def disc formats.

Nerd Fight!!!!!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> The Best Of... All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8
Jump to: