Roy Hibbert v. Oden (Bynum related)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject:

Kobe 4 Prez wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Hibbert isn't as athletic as Bynum. True. He's still mobile and unlike both Oden and Bynum, he's a serious brickhouse of muscle.

What Hibbert doesn't have is real quickness, speed, explosiveness, etc. Think Yao Ming in the sense of rotation help defense. He can block the shot..

... only if he gets there in time.

Otherwise he'd be a surefire lottery pick. I'm not surprised if he gets mid-late 1st round, even in this non-deep draft (so far).

So any chance we consider him Mike?

I know next to nothing about Hibbert, but I like some of the things I have heard in this thread. Does he have anything resembling a jumper/mid range game -- I know he's a center and all, but if the potential for developing one is there (yes that sounds like Kwame), a Bynum/Hibbert front court could reak havoc for years no?

Again, I know next to nothing about this guy and probably doesn't fit on our squad or needs, just wondering.

I think he's definitely worth consideration. Infact, I wouldn't mind having a Bynum/Hibbert tandem at C down the road. Bynum could learn a lot, especially considering how Hibbert attacks all of Bynum's weaknesses. Strong players with good basic post skills who fight for position well.

70% FT shooter hints that a potential midrange game may be there, but he's best deep on the low block. One thing he can do better than Bynum? Fight and hold his position deep in the paint, even against double team coverage.

Remember, there is no illegal defense at the NCAA level. Hibbert gets a fair share of touches and definitely makes the most out of them. He's proven himself well against elite NCAA competition.

Worst case scenario: Priest Lauderdale.
Best case scenario: Shaq of present time. He's just that strong.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.

Last edited by Mike@LG on Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
B_P
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
B_P wrote:
Comparing Roy and Drew's athletic ability, I'd say Drew is much more fluid.

It very evident when Drew runs (or really, when he decides to sprint). He's no "plodder." He really sprawls out and cover a lot of ground.

Roy seems much more stiff.
"Clunky," if you will.
When he gets out and runs, he kinda runs funny.
He's more of a plodder.

Meaning, mechanical?

Yes. Mechanical.
Tony Almeida
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Kobe 4 Prez wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Hibbert isn't as athletic as Bynum. True. He's still mobile and unlike both Oden and Bynum, he's a serious brickhouse of muscle.

What Hibbert doesn't have is real quickness, speed, explosiveness, etc. Think Yao Ming in the sense of rotation help defense. He can block the shot..

Otherwise he'd be a surefire lottery pick. I'm not surprised if he gets mid-late 1st round, even in this non-deep draft (so far).

I know next to nothing about Hibbert, but I like some of the things I have heard in this thread. Does he have anything resembling a jumper/mid range game -- I know he's a center and all, but if the potential for developing one is there (yes that sounds like Kwame), a Bynum/Hibbert front court could reak havoc for years no?

Again, I know next to nothing about this guy and probably doesn't fit on our squad or needs, just wondering.

I think he's definitely worth consideration. Infact, I wouldn't mind having a Bynum/Hibbert tandem at C down the road. Bynum could learn a lot, especially considering how Hibbert attacks all of Bynum's weaknesses. Strong players with good basic post skills who fight for position well.

70% FT shooter hints that a potential midrange game may be there, but he's best deep on the low block. One thing he can do better than Bynum? Fight and hold his position deep in the paint, even against double team coverage.

Remember, there is no illegal defense at the NCAA level. Hibbert gets a fair share of touches and definitely makes the most out of them. He's proven himself well against elite NCAA competition.

Worst case scenario: Priest Lauderdale.
Best case scenario: Shaq of present time. He's just that strong.

Thanks for the insight, I'll make sure to pay a little extra attention to this Hibbert/Oden matchup and see how he looks.

That's a couple of extreme's, Lauderdale vs. Shaq

I was just intrigued by his size (obviously) and what seems to be a fairly good defensive presence capability. Whatever route the Lakers go in this years draft, I want that person to play defense, and a "brickhouse" like Hibbert for that very reason interests me, but thats based on paper alone and bits and pieces of a tourney game for me.
revgen
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject:

Kobe 4 Prez wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

A Bynum/Hibbert frontcourt will not work. Bynum may be fluid for a 7-footer, but he IS NOT a PF and can't play PF. Hibbert coming off the bench for Bynum or Kwame would be nice though.
ProjectAB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject:

I just got home and see that Hilbert and Oden each with 2 fouls, were they legit? These refs are unbelievable.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject:

ProjectAB wrote:
I just got home and see that Hilbert and Oden each with 2 fouls, were they legit? These refs are unbelievable.

Yup.

ProjectAB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject:

Well, by legit, I mean, in a game where everyone was looking toward the matchup that they could have at least let a couple go?
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject:

Considering the lack of calls that have been made thus far, they could and should have let at least one go on each player.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
ProjectAB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject:

Ah well, at least I didn't miss much then
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject:

You've missed Hibbert a few times. He had played a very good game until foul trouble took him out of the game. Very fluid moves for a guy that size.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject:

So far I'm right: Hibbert 8 pts on 80% shooting. Oden with a big fat goose egg.

"Let's go Hoyas"
B_P
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject:

Bynum has a MUCH better free throw stroke than Oden.

That's a real important aspect of the game for a bigman to be good at.

And Bynum already has an excellent touch from the line that should only get better as his career progresses.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject:

I wish I could punch Ohio State's guards in the face. They're so horrible at post entry passing it's not even funny.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject:

Not bad for Oden being outsized and outmuscled.

I can't believe he's getting THAT deep a position on Hibbert, let alone the jumphook and practically dunking right over him under the basket.

Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject:

Nice hook shot by Oden

Nice spin move by Oden

... But even nicer move by Hibbert to draw Oden's 3rd foul

Seriously, I see why Oden is hyped up. I simply haven't seen him play. I'm still a Hoya fan, so I'm rooting against the big fella
ProjectAB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject:

Best sequence of the game so far
ProjectAB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject:

Hilbert getting some Yao-like calls
ProjectAB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject:

I think this game has vaulted Hilbert into the top 10, if not top 5, IF he decided to come out.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject:

ProjectAB wrote:
I think this game has vaulted Hilbert into the top 10, if not top 5, IF he decided to come out.

I disagree. When Oden was out with foul trouble, he still had problems getting rebounds over Othello Hunter and other Ohio St. guards. There's no way these guys should be getting any O or D boards right next to Hibbert, but they are.

Contrast to Oden. Hibbert sits. What does Oden do? Get the DBoard, get real deep position in the paint, practically a dunk.

Hibbert, even bigger and stronger than Oden, hasn't shown the kind of footwork and activity to get that kind of deep position in the paint. No one is going to care if he gets fouled by Ohio St. guards and gets sent to the FT line. Scouts care what he can do against Oden and in reverse. Hibbert is going against a real NBA level talent. He's losing IMHO, just because he hasn't really been able to extend himself and make his presence felt with Oden on the bench.

But, with Oden, Hibbert on or off the floor, he's being productive.

If Hibbert can't even seal Othella Hunter (basically a bigger Bo Outlaw), he'll have multiple problems in the NBA. I don't even project him as a starter considering his conditioning problems.

Last edited by Mike@LG on Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject:

OK, back on topic. Hibbert clearly looks strong, but he doesn't utilize his strength well. He doesn't seal his man and fight for position nearly as much as he should. Like Bynum, when he gets tired he starts reaching and picking up ticky tack fouls. I do like Hibbert's potential. If he could work on his footwork he should go no worse than top 5 IMO in next year's draft.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject:

Damn that would've been a sick dunk if Oden finished it. Looks like the ball slipped out of his hands on the way down. What if he goes #1 overall and has Kwame hands?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject:

If Hibbert goes into top 5, that means Noah, Horford, Julian Wright, and Yi Jianlian didn't declare.

Those guys have enough conditioning for 30-35mpg even as rookie players at NBA speed.

Hibbert's conditioning will be a considerable issue. It doesn't look good if he's getting winded at 20 minutes of NCAA play. It's a slower tempo with a longer shotclock already.

Even Oden has some conditioning issues, but he's not a 3 year collegiate player.

Last edited by Mike@LG on Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject:

That up and down sequence right before Hibbert picked up his 4th foul supports the arguments about his weak transition defense.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject:

Wow. What a deep shot by Hibbert.
ProjectAB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject:

Well, I don't know what you're talking about Mike, because after that hook shot by Hilbert, seemed to me that Hilbert IS getting his position on Oden.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: