Fill in the blank: The most overrated player in the 2007 draft is ________
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quack
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Fill in the blank: The most overrated player in the 2007 draft is ________

This one might be hard to guess so for now i will hold judgement, but who do you think is overrated?
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject:

I say Kevin Durant....he could be great, but people are already treating him as sure of a thing as Lebron James, which he is not.

I like Yi Jianlin more than him...I think Yi could be another KG, I really do.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject:

Yi Jialian.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject:

nice Mike, nice Mike...(bleep) for tat.

Michlake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject:

Noah. Not sure he belongs in the lottery.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:29 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:

Well I'm serious. Great height. Good ball skills. I think he's more fragile.

At least with Durant, even against physical teams, he's right there rebounding, shotblocking, team-D, etc. against strong NCAA comp.

I put more faith in NCAA comp than Chinese Basketball.

angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:44 am    Post subject:

Noah belongs in the lottery, but of the Tier II players behind Oden and Durant (B. Wright, J. Wright, Horford, Noah, Hawes), I consider Noah having the most over-rated potential. But that's a pretty solid group.

Yi Jianlian is likely 2 or 3 years older than listed, and thus already closer to his ceiling physically. That isn't good when you need much more strength to play PF in the US. He belongs in the late lottery.

Not necessarily over-rated, but has the potential to drop: Jeff Green. Though he's close to being NBA ready, there are too many guys in this draft with projected higher ceilings, better size and athleticism. Green is a very complete package, but doesn't dominate as a shooter, defender, play PG, and seems a bit of a tweener forward. I wouldn't count on him being available when Mitch makes his pick, though hope springs eternal.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject:

Joakim Noah.

Last edited by Fan0Bynum17 on Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Julian Wright

That, I'll flat out disagree. For all this Boris Diaw talk about him and his hype, there hasn't been a PF/SF prototype similar to him than James Worthy.

James was far more polished on the block, but didn't have that kind of rebounding, passing, or ball-handling ability.

I can just imagine what Worthy's influence can do to the kid. Make him a superstar? I believe it.

LakerSanity

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

Well I'm serious. Great height. Good ball skills. I think he's more fragile.

At least with Durant, even against physical teams, he's right there rebounding, shotblocking, team-D, etc. against strong NCAA comp.

I put more faith in NCAA comp than Chinese Basketball.

I have more faith in the NCAA as well....but watching some film on Yi, he seems to have it....that is skills which translate regardless of the competition he faces.

A comparison is that I watched film on bargiani before he was drafted and felt the same way. I am not sure Bargiani will ever become another dirk, but he has already shown signs he has the potential to be. I feel somewhat the same with Yi and KG, not sure he will ever become a KG, but he definitely has that potential and I gaurantee he will be at least a good NBA starter.

I sort of feel the same way with Durant, I just say he is overrated because people are annointing him as the next NBA superstar, when really the expectations should be toned down the same way as those two above. Especially considering his body frame is much more fragile and less defined than the two above, which might make him prone to injury or be pushed around. That said, he still has the potential to be a great player, its just to say he will be an instant superstar ala Lebron James is overrating him IMO.

Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject:

Joakim Noah...dont like him. He'll be solid, but not a lottery pick IMO.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

A comparison is that I watched film on bargiani before he was drafted and felt the same way. I am not sure Bargiani will ever become another dirk, but he has already shown signs he has the potential to be.

At least Bargnani has 3pt. range, better ball-handling, and passing skills.

That means he can get by at SF as projected.

Yi can't.

LakerSanity

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

A comparison is that I watched film on bargiani before he was drafted and felt the same way. I am not sure Bargiani will ever become another dirk, but he has already shown signs he has the potential to be.

Yi can't.

But I don't think Yi is going to be a SF, I think he will be in the mold of a Garnett..that was my point, he doesn't need to shoot the 3 or have the ball handling. Watch tape of the guy, he is definitely more of a back to the basket kind of player. He has post moves very similar to KG.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:12 am    Post subject:

^And I simply don't think he's strong enough. Even Brendan Wright is slight of frame but at least you know he can hold his own a little bit.

Watch tape of the guy? I've been seeing videos for over 2 years now...

Quote:

Yi Jianlian - Current Team: Guangdong Tigers, International
Physicals:
H: 7' 0"
W: 230 lbs
Bday: 10/28/1987
(19 Years Old)

Positions:
Current: PF/C
NBA: PF/C
Possible: PF/C

Rankings:
Round: 1 Pick: 8 in 2007 Mock Draft
Rank 1 in International '87

Comparisons:
Best Case: Pau Gasol
Worst Case: Channing Frye

Misc:
High School:
Hometown: Shenzhen, China
Earliest Draft Class: 2006
Last Updated: 10/2/2004

We’ll deal with that later. Meanwhile, Yi again continued to show his intriguing package of skills in the real World Junior Championships in 2003 in Greece. Of course, with the NBA world so in love with trends, from the early going he was already labeled as the “next great thing coming from China,” after Yao Ming.

The hype machine began to grind into motion: shoe deals, commercials, 360 dunks, and an article in Time magazine titled “the Next Yao Ming.” A star was clearly born. Yi’s athleticism and attractive appearance made him an easily marketable player, who just so happened to come from the next great global market, China.

But is this hype legit? The only certainty is that Yi has been carrying this heavy load of pressure from a very young age.

It hasn’t died down, though; the Chinese pool is considered to enjoy immense potential on the verge to explode. Seven footers seem to grow on trees and the country is in love with basketball. Almost a paradise. Right?

Well, there’s certainly some truth in all of this, but the short-term and even mid-term potential of the Chinese basketball is vastly overrated. China still has a long way to go to be able to compete consistently at the international level both as a team and for its players on an individual level. This will require a significant improvement of the domestic league and/or the exportation of Chinese players to other stronger international competitions. Yao Ming is the exception, not the rule. For the majority of elite prospects, there needs to be a challenging environment to motivate and continue to help them improve. When these youngsters reach a certain stage of development, the CBA (Chinese Basketball Association) fails to provide them with the required amount of competition to take their game to the next level.

Sina.com

Let’s remember that in a very narrow and short-sighted approach, the CBA protects its investment by barring its basketball players from leaving for the NBA before they turn 22 years old. We do need to keep in mind that power changes hands quickly in the Chinese Basketball Association, so this rule could change any day potentially, especially if pressure in the right places is applied. However, that’s pointless for this matter, as the next logical step for the Chinese prospects shouldn’t be by any means the world’s toughest league. The jump is simply too dramatic to face with a fair chances of success, especially considering the radically different nature of both leagues, with the NBA putting a huge emphasis on physical attributes that the CBA severely lacks. So how will this affect their best prospect until he becomes “eligible” for the NBA draft in 2009?

DraftExpress was able to watch Yi Jianlian in action over the last summer with the Chinese National Team and this current season with the Guangdong Tigers in the CBA. What we learned is that Yi himself is already beginning to look like a victim of the CBA’s weakness. His excellent combination of size and athleticism as a 7-footer, plus his decent strength, is enough for him to get regular production at this level, but without having to display much skill at all, going up mostly against weak and unathletic defenses. He’s currently averaging 22.1 points and 9.2 rebounds per game.

Nevermind the fact that I've seen both good and horrible games from him, being pushed around by mediocre competition similar to Bynum in his first SPL (at least Bynum is around 280lbs., but even he still gets pushed around by smaller players). I've seen enough games where he plays uninspired. KG was the absolutely opposite of that. He likens to Gasol, but Gasol's wingspan is 7'6". I don't think Yi has that kind of length.

cinimod
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject:

Speaking of Li Jianlian, I just watched some youtube clips. Now i Know that hi-light reels can be misleading, but that turn-around J sure looks pretty good, and that is certainly the type of shot that will translate against any competition...He looks to have it pretty good out to 15' or so, straight away to the baselines...It did look very "KG"esque...

Also looked like he can put the ball on the floor for at least a couple of dribbles, a la KG...

But the thing that Kevin has that makes him "KG" is that fire...And if Li plays uninspired games as Mike pointed out, well, he could be a bust - another Skitisvili (excuse the spelling, I know i butchered dudes name. Yall know who i'm talking about though.)
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

Yi can't.

I haven't watched much of bargnani, but Yi looks to have pretty good court vision/passing skills.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

Yi can't.

I haven't watched much of bargnani, but Yi looks to have pretty good court vision/passing skills.

I don't trust Chinese Basketball comp. As soon as Yi played against the US against players his size, court vision shrinked. He played solid, but I'm just not convinced.

The difference between Dirk and Radmanovic is work ethic and aggression. Bargnani is somewhere inbetween. If so, good pick.

MOJO
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject:

mcbobs
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject:

Well I've only been watching him in the CBA finals and I've seen him a few times spotting the cutter and making good hard passes. Pretty impressive, but I do agree about him playing uninspired though. I see the skills, I just don't see an nba body or mindset.
yellowledbetter
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject:

Tyler Hansborough (if anyone takes him in the 1st round).
Michlake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject:

yellowledbetter wrote:
Tyler Hansborough (if anyone takes him in the 1st round).

agree to a certain point, but as a very late 1st rounder, Hansborough wouldn't be bad. I think he can be better than Sean May and May went in the lottery.
ArrOhBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject:

yian jian lian, some of yall are hyping him up just cuz hes asian.
loseyourname
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:
Julian Wright

That, I'll flat out disagree. For all this Boris Diaw talk about him and his hype, there hasn't been a PF/SF prototype similar to him than James Worthy.

James was far more polished on the block, but didn't have that kind of rebounding, passing, or ball-handling ability.

I can just imagine what Worthy's influence can do to the kid. Make him a superstar? I believe it.

I salivate at the way this guy moves, but wish he could finish more like Worthy. The last two games he's been missing an awful lot of breakaway layups, or just throwing the ball away instead of challenging the defense. James would be throwing it down and shedding people as he did it.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject:

^It doesn't help that Kansas's offense is more perimeter oriented. He doesn't get mid/low block opportunties like Worthy did. Instead he has to dribble in from 16' and out.

He's definitely a playmaker from that distance, but get him into striking distance and he can finish with the best of them.

Neither Worthy nor Wright change direction well on the dribble. Straightline players.

magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject:

Tyler Hansborough is a mid-1st round selection and rightfully so. The Nets would be VERY wise to pick him up.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: