Remember Shaq trade

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will the KG end up with the Lakers
Yes
38%
 38%  [ 29 ]
No
61%
 61%  [ 46 ]
Total Votes : 75

nextphenom23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: Remember Shaq trade

I'm a believer about KG wanting to be traded. However I believe that we're not at the top of his list. I believe that KG will be dealt this offseason, pending on the FA the T'Wolves bring in. Here's the list in a particular order that KG would most likely end up at:

1. Cleveland- They have post players in Gooden and Big Z that would attract the T'Wolves plus are desperate. The T'Wolves could possibily get the best deal for him with the Cavs. X-Factor- Unknown

2. New York- In the east and has alot of small pieces. The T'Wolves were high on Frye. Also would like to have that star PG back in Marbury. The T'Wolves want a young PG the Knicks want a post player. Makes alot of sense for both teams. The Knicks would love to have Wally to. X-Factor- Crawford

3. Indiana- Unhappy with O'Neal could offer Artest and O'Neal and would end up improving with a combo of Jackson and Garnett. Would be a fresh start for both Garnett and O'Neal. The T'Wolves get Artest who could help them out against the likes of Bryant and T-Mac. Both teams would be happy. X-Factor would be Tinsley. He could possibly kill the deal

4. Los Angeles- Of course we should be after him. He fills our need. We can offer them alor of cap relief in the following year. With Atkins George and Butler they could clear up alot of cap. They might even take Grant off our hands. I say we'll take Wally if they take Grant. This could put us at the top of the western conference. The X-Factor is Butler.

5. Chicago- They have alot of young pieces that the T'Wolves could use to rebuild there team. You look at them giving up Hinrich, Deng, and probably both Curry and Chandler. They're giving up 4/5 of there starting lineup. You add in McCants and this team could contend with all these guys in there prime. The X-Factor to me is Gordon.

But too our situation though. In know way is Garnett worth both Butler and Odom. I say we give up Butler. Because who knows if he'll resign with us. Odom we at least have for a couple more years. We might look a little slow but we'll have 3 guys that can put up 18-28 every night. A good young core of players to build around. You add in a PG like Daniels amd you have a squad that could match up with the Spurs. Also we cant give up both Mihm and Bynum we have to keep one. Most likely they wouldnt want Mihm.

Remember Shaq last year? This is the same situation except for Garnett is handling this with class. I doubt they want to keep Garnett in the west just like we didnt want Shaq in the west. But I doubt they could pass up our offer.

Will KG end up in LA: 40% yes, 60% No
Keep our fingers crossed

The Spurs will never live up to the dynasty we created
djb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject:

No
phlooidphil773
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject:

so your saying artest and jermaine would equal kg, but odom and butler wouldnt? if they offered us kg for odom and butler, id piss myself with joy.
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject:

Cleveland has nothing to offer. Z and Gooden? LOL They wanna get younger plus free up some cap space. There not gonna get neither with anything Cleveland has to offer.

The only teams that they should be considering is LAL, Indy, and Chicago.

IF KG wants it enough, he could demand to play with the Lakers. KG admires Kobe's work ethic and have always been cool with each other. Pluis we have tons of expiring ks and some young players-combination of Odom, Butler, Bynum, Mihm, ect...

Chicago is also a good scenario. They have a bunch of cheap young players who'd be perfect for a rebuilding stage - combination of Chandler, Curry, Gordon, Hinrich, ect.

Indy probably has the most equal value to offer(although theres no way to get equal value for KG unless Duncan is involved.) They can offer Joneal, Tinsley, Granger, plus some expiring ks.
Panthera
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject:

GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject:

Well...

I don't see it happening but I have been wrong before...

LO would have to be the centerpiece of the package...

LO/Mihm/expiring contracts for KG/Wally...

One of the best packages...but I doubt KG is traded to LAL...
c728
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember Shaq trade

nextphenom23 wrote:

Remember Shaq last year? This is the same situation except for Garnett is handling this with class.

Did I miss the PC where Frankenstein said they would consider trades for KG?
nextphenom23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject:

They have been sending out signals similar to what Bird has done with O"neal. So you know he's on the market. I believe the T'Wolves fell out when they let go of Flip and didnt make the playoffs. You never want to keep a superstar that isnt happy, it just causes more problems.

filipensses
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:37 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I'm a believer about KG wanting to be traded. However I believe that we're not at the top of his list.

We only have chances of acquiring KG if he demands a trade. However, I SERIOUSLY DOUBT that we're not at the top os his "list". If you were KG, would you rather go to Cleveland than to go to LA? What's the best scenario for KG to win a championship, to team up with Kobe and PJ or to team up with LBJ? And how do you know the Big Z is staying in Cleveland (isn't he a FA?)?

The Zenmaster has 9 rings. NINE. People struggle for years to get ONE. Don't you think great players would love to play for PJ (unless you're Gary Payton)? Nowadays, Kobe is the standard by which the media measures a player's success (and don't forget that media HATES Kobe). Have you ever heard that "LBJ is better than Kobe"/"Wade is better than Kobe"/"Manu is better than Kobe" crap? Why nobody is saying "LBJ is better than T-Mac/AI/Paul Pierce or Vince Carter"? Because Kobe is THE BEST.

So, if you're a star player like KG, would you pass the chance to join Kobe AND PJ? No way, man. If he's actually demanding a trade (and that's where our pipe lives), you can bet we're at the top of his list. And if Minny could be as loyal to KG as KG has been to Minny, then he'll certainly be a Laker.
indy_dave00
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:05 am    Post subject:

I tend to slightly disagree on the Pacers. If Garnett were traded to Indiana it would not be a deal containing both O'Neal and Artest.

As for Bird letting people know Jermaine is available thats partly true. Bird would trade Jermaine but only for a top pf and something else.

KG and Duncan are the only pf's that anything would have to be added to Jermaine to get them.

A little note on Jermaine and Artest , they are not best friends, they have had several physical confrontations in the past . I think any deal for Garnett that meant both O'Neal and Artest , were involved ,would only happen with O'Neal or Artest ending up on a 3rd team.

Bird has actively shopped Artest ,expecially since the draft. But he's still holding out for top level talent not offering a discount.
dj kumi fresh
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:14 am    Post subject:

there's something i've always wondered about the pundits and talking heads....
why do they think it's a mistake to trade someone within the conference? in the reg season, the most they'll see said player would be 4 times, right? so who cares? if they made the playoffs and faced off, they still have an equal chance of meeting in the finals so what's the big deal?

also, i doubt kg allows the trade to happen anywhere where there isn't a proven player in place. i don't think he goes to indy to play with steve jackson.
nor does he go to ny to play with any of those clowns.
my guess is that he'd approve the trade to either cleveland or los angeles, only.
i'd also assume that the wolves throw caution to the wind and trade within the western conference in order to receive better players in odom, butler, etc than he would for the pieces cleveland would offer.
nobody believes that big z will anchor a team, but odom and/or butler are debatable.(is that a word?)
startrex
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:35 am    Post subject:

for Cleveland.
for Pacers
for Lakers. So far there are 3.8 out of 10 posters believing it will work!

The only way it will work for Lakers is to sacrifice Odom, Mihm, Butler and Bynum at the minimum. Are we willing to do that? Having KG is very nice but it will cost a lot. Or too much. But 2 best defenders on a team can be scarry too. Mchale knows that for sure, particularly in the West. So back to reality.

Folks, I believe Grant can give us something next season if he is truly healthy. So I am not giving up on Grant yet. So, having the young core back (Odom, Butler and Mihm + Bynum and Turiaf) is NOT that bad.

We'll make the playoffs. I'll make the prediction once we know the fixed rosters and the whole NBA team outlooks.
nextphenom23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:23 am    Post subject:

It is when you have Jackson as the coach. Jackson wants to win another championship. If Miami would've offered him the job he would be there today. But the only team that offered him a contract that had a good chance of winning was us.

Bynum is a risk, who knows how he'll turn out. We need another consistent player like KG. Giving up Odom, Butler, and Mihm might be too much. But look how the Heat turned out with giving up similar pieces. As long as we can get Wally or Hassel in return or bring in another 3 we'll be fine. We could still just sign Davis for the LLE and maybe Daniels or Jaric for the MLE. The SF position is always the easiest to fill. And if we have Wally along with Walton, George and Jones.

Grant is not going to help us out next year. He's going to play average for the 1st half of the season then get injuried. He shouldnt be apart of this team. Hopefully if KG does demand a trade to LA they will take him if we take Wally.

LakersGuRu
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:41 am    Post subject:

Quote:
40% yes, 60% no

Puff, puff, pass....
C-BUS LAKERFAN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:13 am    Post subject:

I don't think it will happen. Here is why:

1. Minnesota can get more talent from other teams. Luckily Chicago would have to do S+T with their big men, and I honestly don't see Curry, and Chander all giddy about going to Minnesota. No offense to any T-Wolves fans out there. Indy can give them Jermain. To compensate We would have to take both Wally and Hudson's bad contracts, and give them ending contracts to go along with talent. Would Buss take on Wally and T-Hud horrendous contracts?

2. Can KG can somehow force a trade behind the scenes? I don't think he has a no trade clause or a opt out. Makes a forcing a trade much more difficult.

3. How much talent will Minnesota ask for? Minnesota will ask for Odom, Butler Mihm, Bynum, and 2 future 1st draft picks. Mitch would probably tell them anyone other than Kobe, Butler, and Bynum are fair game. If we include 2 future 1's along with Odom, Mihm, and ending K, will that be enough?

4. Why would Mchale deal with us now? He wouldn't with Gugliota. He let Googs walk for free rather than get Jones, and Campbell. The owner would be the one forcing the issue.

5. I have no doubt that the owner might want to trade KG, and I have no doubt KG wants out. But, KG is their meal ticket. Trading him could be disasterous to ticket sales. I think KG has a better shot of being traded next year when Minnesota misses the playoffs again. Then the owner can go into re-build mode. Float storeis to the local papers about re-building, and nobody is safe, staring over etc..

Nothing would make me happier than seeing a Kobe KG combo, but I just don't see it happening.
Showtime_Returns
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject:

Quote:
With Atkins George and Butler they could clear up alot of cap. They might even take Grant off our hands. I say we'll take Wally if they take Grant. This could put us at the top of the western conference. The X-Factor is Butler.

Wow, delusion at it's finest. A KG trade without giving up Odom?

LA offers one of the best trade pakages to Minny considering talent, expiring contracts and picks. We also offer the best chance for KG to win a ring, although Indiana presents an equal opportunity. Fact remains Mchale will NEVER trade KG to the Lakers. Giving us Kg without getting Bynum or Butler is creating a dynasty.
lakecuz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject:

I want THE KG to come to LA. I wouldn't mind giving up THE CARON and THE ODOM plus more.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject:

Buss is a gambler. He might take some chances to make the club better.
nextphenom23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject:

Exactly I can see Buss pushing for this. Mitch might not push for this because he loves Odom and Butler so much.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: