Corporate VP of Microsoft's Entertainment Business 'retires'

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Corporate VP of Microsoft's Entertainment Business 'retires'

Is this a good thing (blessing in disguise) or bad thing (sign of things to come). Either way, the division posted a $298,000,000.00 loss, which was probably the final nail:

Quote:
Zune executive leaves Microsoft

01/02/2007 13:02:35

A Microsoft executive who helped develop the company's new Zune music player and other products is leaving the company.
Bryan Lee, corporate vice president of Microsoft's entertainment business, "has decided to retire from Microsoft to pursue personal interests," the company said in a prepared statement.

Lee reported to Robbie Bach, president of Microsoft's Entertainment and Devices Division, who hired Lee in 2000. Bach said during his tenure Lee worked on development and deployment of the Xbox gaming system, the Windows XP Media Center operating system and the company's IP-television initiatives.

"I want to extend my thanks to Bryan from the company and from me personally, for all of his contributions to Microsoft," Bach said.

The Zune music player, introduced in November 2006, has been touted as Microsoft's challenge to the market-leading MP3 player, the iPod from Apple Inc. Zune users can download music or videos from Microsoft's Zune.com Web site to the 30GB player. Unlike the iPod, the Zune is equipped with Wi-Fi.

Lee will remain at Microsoft for a few more weeks to assist in the transition, the company said. J. Allard, corporate vice president of design and development, will take over full responsibility for the Zune. Joe Belfiore and Enrique Rodriguez, both corporate vice presidents who had reported to Lee, will now report to Bach.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject:

I think the loss of $$$ is expected. If it wasn't, it woulda been Robbie Bach's head on the platter. The entertainment division right now is being given free reign to get into the living room at all costs. That's the power of having all that cash - they can afford to take some losses to keep pushing a new long-term growth initiative.

It's possible Microsoft decided to "retire" Bryan but as far as I know he's always been in pretty good standing there. While this is normally the fud they put out there when they get rid of someone, it's reasaonable to think they guy just wanted to move on.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: