Looking To Purchase A Wireless Router

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerFanAlways
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Looking To Purchase A Wireless Router

I currently have cable modem, but I have a desktop and laptop and I would like to get a wireless router so that I can have both on a network..I will also be purchasing a printer that has wireless capabilities so I want to be able to have them all integrated..what wireless modem do you all recommend? I have a linksys router but its not wireless
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
uberzev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject:

Just get whatever is cheapest.

Do you need a wireless card for your desktop and laptop as well? There are package deals.

Latest bargains...
http://www.techbargains.com
(Type Wireless Router in the search box.)
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject:

i've had problems with every one i've ever had....and i've had multiple brands. linksys isn't bad.
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject:

My 1st Linksys was a piece of crap. It just one day, quit working. My dad actually had an extra one that he gave to us, while we were visiting him, last year. Its worked flawless since installed. Plus, I put one in at my mom's house, that's worked without any problems for 2+ years.
ALF
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject:

I just set up a wireless network for my desktop and my laptop. I didn't hook up the printer so I don't have any advice there.

I used a Linksys compact router and I was able to set it up using the linksys website. I didn't have the start-up CD but the website was able to guide me through step by step.

I know nothing about wireless networks yet I was able to set everything up, including security, within 30 minutes.

So far, the linksys works great and I get a strong signal throughout my two story residence.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject:

Belkin! Cheap and has all the features necessary for a simple home setup.

Not so great with heavy duty port forwarding and other relatively unique situations for a home office. But otherwise no problems.
LakerFanAlways
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject:

ALF wrote:
I just set up a wireless network for my desktop and my laptop. I didn't hook up the printer so I don't have any advice there.

I used a Linksys compact router and I was able to set it up using the linksys website. I didn't have the start-up CD but the website was able to guide me through step by step.

I know nothing about wireless networks yet I was able to set everything up, including security, within 30 minutes.

So far, the linksys works great and I get a strong signal throughout my two story residence.

What is the model # of the router that you have?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
LakerFanAlways
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject:

Nope I dont have a wireless card on my desktop..so the only way I can have the desktop work with the router is to get a wireless card..the desktop is about 4 years old..I dont even know if there is even a slot to put a card..also..if I do get a wireless router..would that mean that I would no longer need the linksys cable router that I have..I have a motorola router that came with the Timewarner internet that I have(we get internet and cable tv) I have no clue about wireless routers at all so thats why Im asking so many questions..I also want one that will be of course compatible with Vista..since I already have Vista Business
LakerFanAlways
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject:

my laptop is already with built in wireless..I forgot to mention that in my post
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject:

LakerFanAlways wrote:
Nope I dont have a wireless card on my desktop..so the only way I can have the desktop work with the router is to get a wireless card..the desktop is about 4 years old..I dont even know if there is even a slot to put a card..also..if I do get a wireless router..would that mean that I would no longer need the linksys cable router that I have..I have a motorola router that came with the Timewarner internet that I have(we get internet and cable tv) I have no clue about wireless routers at all so thats why Im asking so many questions..I also want one that will be of course compatible with Vista..since I already have Vista Business

Yup, you need a wireless card for your desktop.

Not sure what you mean by "linksys cable router" or "motorola router". If there's a cable coming from the cable socket that plugs directly into that then I think what you're talking about is the cable modem and you do need that. Sorry if I'm oversimplifying, just trying to figure out exactly what you're describing.

The wirelss routers shouldn't really have anything to do with Vista. The router just pumps out a wireless signal, so as long as you have something that can receive that signal, operating system doesn't really matter. The operating system just detects your wireless card and Vista should handle that fine. The only concern you need to have is that your wireless card works with Vista. When a new operating system comes out, not all the hardware that exists out there is immediately compliant.

Hope that wasn't too confusing.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject:

LakerFanAlways wrote:
Nope I dont have a wireless card on my desktop..so the only way I can have the desktop work with the router is to get a wireless card..

Wireless routers also have wired ports. I use a Linksys WRT54G, which is an industry standard, and just fine for almost any home use. My desktop machines are all hooked directly two it (it has four ports), and only my laptop uses it wireless.

Off the top of my head, you want G band routing; you want WPA; and probably a few other things that I can't think of right now.

Have a listen to Steve Gibson's podcasts on NAT routing...you can find them at http://grc.com/securitynow.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject:

I've gone through quite a few, all different brands (and prices) over the past several years. Right now, I'm using what Larry has above and it's been pretty much flawless for the past half a year or so.
LakerFanAlways
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:28 am    Post subject:

The WRT54G Linksys wireless router was the one that I was checking out online..looks good and is a very reasonable price..what I meant by my motorola cable modem is the modem that Timewarner(actually Adelphia but now Timewarner) gave me in order to go online..I also bought a linksys router so that I can connect my laptop also to the internet..I was thinking that I could keep the desktop getting the ethernet connection since I dont have a wireless card and this computer doesn't have that option and for the laptop I could get the wireless modem so that I could take it anywhere..I haven't decided yet..and yeah I definitely gotta check out Toshiba for updates regarding Vista, I was at their site today and they have a bunch of updates but I have to find out from Toshiba which ones I have to install
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:27 am    Post subject:

LakerFanAlways wrote:
I was thinking that I could keep the desktop getting the ethernet connection since I dont have a wireless card and this computer doesn't have that option and for the laptop I could get the wireless modem so that I could take it anywhere..

The configuration you want is the one I have -- from the wall to the cable modem, then from the cable modem to your NAT router. Your desktop machine(s) hard connect to the router, and the laptop(s) use it wirelessly. You have all the advantages -- connectivity, peer to peer networking, printer sharing, and the router acts as a very effective firewall for your entire network.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
quetalmanolo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject:

I use DLink. Works great for me... I have my desktop connected directly to the router (wired)... and an apple notebook, a laptop, xbox360, and Wii all getting excellent wireless signal... Just make sure that the router you're getting 802.11 A/B/G compatible... so that almost every electronics that pick up wireless signal are compatible with your router.
Melon Tea
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject:

netgear is trash don't buy anything from netgear
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject:

It's just a wireless router.
You can get one for 20 bucks and can return if it doesn't work.
I mean come on.
uberzev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject:

shnjb wrote:
It's just a wireless router.
You can get one for 20 bucks and can return if it doesn't work.
I mean come on.
Exactly. To say one brand is trash is rediculious. They're all just commodity electronics that most likely will be obsolete before they fail anyway.
ALF
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:23 am    Post subject:

LakerFanAlways wrote:
ALF wrote:

What is the model # of the router that you have?

WRT54GC
quetalmanolo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject:

When you set up your wireless network, make sure you put a password. Otherwise, people that are close enough, could pick up your network signal, and steal your internet, or worse, get access to your private files. Just a warning.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject:

quetalmanolo wrote:
When you set up your wireless network, make sure you put a password. Otherwise, people that are close enough, could pick up your network signal, and steal your internet, or worse, get access to your private files. Just a warning.

Encryption =
aFFie
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject:

I love me my 2wire
buduan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject:

LakerFanAlways wrote:

You can get a wireless card that plugs into a USB port.
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject:

I am happy with my NETGEAR
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: