Eddie Jones to be waived!!! (Do the Lakers want him?)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rebirth
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject:

trading eddie to the hornets might have been Jerry West's worst trade EVER!!!!!
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject:

Free_Kobe wrote:
what loyalty...lol
u hit a game winner and u get waived!

Actually it is loyalty. He'll get waived because Jerry West respects him and wants him to take advantage of his short window of opportunity to get a ring. Memphis isn't winning this year or next year, Pau want out, new owners will be coming sooner than later and Eddie still has value.

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/addicusbrown
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject:

HELL YES. Eddie is the perfect vet for this team, all we would have to do is drop Shammond for him (at 1.5 Mil) still leaving us with the expiring contracts of Mckie and Mihm for a total of $7 Mil. We would put either Vlad or Sasha on the IR.

Eddie on this team would be perfect for a few reasons - He would never have to create his own shot. He is still a decent slasher and a good three point shooter. He could play either guard spot and SF when we needed him to. Although he has lost a step and is no where the man to man defender he once was, he is still a great team and help defender.

Given the limitations on what we would ask from him in the role he would play on this team, the fact he could start at PG creating a completely different dynamic for this team (making us larger at the same time) and moving Smush to the bench where suddenly his faults can be ignored because he is definitely an above average sub (but otherwise a below average starter), there are only pluses here.

It creates so much mnore versatility and most importantly, a hustle defender whose mentality could spread to the rest of the team.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
B_P
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
Ron Harper Part 2

Harp came to us after he was already a triangle master/3-time champ.
He came to us as a leader and a teacher of the offense.

Eddie would first have to learn the system. Kinda late in his career to first start doing that, don'tcha think??

Hey, I'd love to get Eddie back, for sentimental reasons, but I'm sure he'll go to Miami or Dallas or some other contender where he could learn a few plays and contribute right away.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Eddie Jones to be waived! (Edit)

This is really a no brainer, lets get EJ. He is still a great defender and would be a real nice compliment to all of the young guards that we have on this team. We have too much youth right now and EJ has been there and done that. He could be a real calming presence in the locker room. ]]

Plus, he could start next to Kobe in the back court becuase the tri does not need a real PG. That would increase our defensive consistency in the back court a great deal. Smush is good some nights and bad others. EJ is solid, he is a vet.

In addition, he would not have to play major minutes for us considering we do have Farmar & Smush to back him up. He could play 30 to 35 intense minutes and have enough in the tank for the playoffs.

EJ's contract is gone, he will be cheap and this is his major advantage over Kidd. Also, I think that Eddie is healthier than Kidd, his cheap contract makes him less of a risk.

I always hated that Rice trade because Rice was a terrible defender. EJ can defend and we really missed him once Phil came around. Kobe & EJ would have been a killer back court for the 3 peat teams. He is older and wiser now and does not have the same hops, but I will still take him!

Last edited by Dr. Funkbot on Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Freakout wrote:
kemi4kobes wrote:
i think he will go back to the heat.

imo its either heat or lakers w/the heat being the front runners.

also isnt he from miami?

No way he goes back to Miami. The two teams I could see having interest is PHX and San Antonio.

If he goes to Phoenix, they might buyout Jalen Rose to make room for him. Anyone for Jalen once again?

Please tell me you're joking.
Tanlentueux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Eddie Jones to be waived!!! (Do the Lakers want him?)

LALakers999 wrote:
I just heard it on the loose cannons.... what do you guys think? bump mckie and sign eddie?

I'd rather wait for the heat to waive Shaq.
Aloha
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
EJ was born in Pompano Beach, FL, but went to college at Temple, in Philly.

His College Temple Backcourt included Aaron McKie
He was around Philly - when Kobe was at LM HS.
He watched DrJ - hence his #6 Uniform.

When he got traded, he cried alot as he loved LAL / Jerry West.
Sure that was a short term questionable trade to Charl for Rice...
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Eddie Jones waived today!

Dancing Madsen wrote:
This is really a no brainer, lets get EJ. He is still a great defender and would be a real nice compliment to all of the young guards that we have on this team. We have too much youth right now and EJ has been there and done that. He could be a real calming presence in the locker room. ]]

Plus, he could start next to Kobe in the back court becuase the tri does not need a real PG. That would increase our defensive consistency in the back court a great deal. Smush is good some nights and bad others. EJ is solid, he is a vet.

In addition, he would not have to play major minutes for us considering we do have Farmar & Smush to back him up. He could play 30 to 35 intense minutes and have enough in the tank for the playoffs.

EJ's contract is gone, he will be cheap and this is his major advantage over Kidd. Also, I think that Eddie is healthier than Kidd, his cheap contract makes him less of a risk.

I always hated that Rice trade because Rice was a terrible defender. EJ can defend and we really missed him once Phil came around. Kobe & EJ would have been a killer back court for the 3 peat teams. He is older and wiser now and does not have the same hops, but I will still take him!

I've always wanted to do this...

DO IT MITCH!!!
rebirth
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject:

in the trade forum here Dancing Madsen (sorry for the mis type barry) says he has been waived!! is this confirmed? has he been waived or is this specualtion he will be waived

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=36178
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject:

rebirth wrote:
in the trade forum here Dancing Madsen (sorry for the mis type barry) says he has been waived!! is this confirmed? has he been waived or is this specualtion he will be waived

Not by any mainstream news sources.
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject:

B_P wrote:
RCS926 wrote:
Ron Harper Part 2

Eddie would first have to learn the system. Kinda late in his career to first start doing that, don'tcha think??

Hey, I'd love to get Eddie back, for sentimental reasons, but I'm sure he'll go to Miami or Dallas or some other contender where he could learn a few plays and contribute right away.

Harp won 3 rings in Chicago and the first year he wasn't a vet in the triangle. He was the new comer along with Rodman. Eddie has always played well without out the ball and he understands cutting, screening and balance on the offensive side. He also has been a sound defensive player through out his career. He is the type of vet we want and need for the amount of money it will cost.

Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject:

psydesho wrote:
B_P wrote:
RCS926 wrote:
Ron Harper Part 2

Harp won 3 rings in Chicago and the first year he wasn't a vet in the triangle. He was the new comer along with Rodman. Eddie has always played well without out the ball and he understands cutting, screening and balance on the offensive side. He also has been a sound defensive player through out his career. He is the type of vet we want and need for the amount of money it will cost.

Didn't Harp sit out the whole year with the Bulls in 1995 then in 1996 he was a starter?
Steez
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject:

I do not understand why they would waive him. They can add him with a Pau Gasol trade as a 15 mill expiring contract or they can keep him thelselves to get 15 mill salary cap relief. I will be shocked if he gets waived.
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject:

Lakerfan 4 Life wrote:
psydesho wrote:
B_P wrote:
RCS926 wrote:
Ron Harper Part 2

Didn't Harp sit out the whole year with the Bulls in 1995 then in 1996 he was a starter?

Not to my knowledge. He left the Clips right after Larry Brown or a year after Larry Brown left.

Lamar2Kobe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject:

DO IT MITCH

Eddie was still a very good player with the Miami Heat just 2 years ago. He averaged like 16 points a game,and was the guy who defended the elite perimiter players the Heat had to face. I thought he did a solid job on Gilbert Arenas and Vince Carter in the playoffs 2 years ago. He just needs to be on a team with a superstar that draws double teams. He can still D up and knock down the open shot.
Showbe24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject:

I rather have penny, eddie jones looks like he let himself go. I haven't really seen him play but his face looks way too fat.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Eddie Jones to be waived!!! (Do the Lakers want him?)

Tanlentueux wrote:
LALakers999 wrote:
I just heard it on the loose cannons.... what do you guys think? bump mckie and sign eddie?

I'd rather wait for the heat to waive Shaq.

im sorry but this was a really weak attempt at sarcasm if you are implying that eddie will not be waived by memphis. If you dont agree just say so or think of something better to say.

BTW heat fans and Riley will never let shaq go. they think hes a basketball God and they think Wade does get fouled on every single posession
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject:

i'd waive mckie in a heartbeat and sign EJ for the vet min. Guy can stiil ball and he'll give us a better perimeter option.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject:

rebirth wrote:

I fixed my title to say EJ to be waived. ;<)
coolambo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
Ron Harper Part 2

Ron Harper had balls even at crunch time. Eddie Jones swallows his balls during crunch time. So, comparision = X.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject:

Man I missed EJ, he was my farovrite Laker. Even at 35, he can still help.

DO IT MITCH!
Laker2Xtreme
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject:

I'd take Eddie Jones any day. On this young team we need veteran leadership. Behind kobe at SG we're pretty thin and we also need a lock down defender. Given EJ is no longer young and fast. But he was known to be a good defender and that should help. Plus he's a decent shooter.
Vlade
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject:

Dancing Madsen wrote:
Vlade wrote:
cmonkee wrote:
2Cleva wrote:
Only an option after the trade deadline.

agreed - if Lakers do end up making a move that opens up a roster spot; I would mind having Eddie back to finish up his career (hopefully with a ring).

Here's my question though- there was another player that the Grizzlies had on their roster in the summer that might be a better fit - how's Laron Profit doing nowadays?

agreed, but also because I doubt we want to waive any of our expiring contracts that might be an asset in a potential deal. As for Profit, I wonder if there's really a space for him on the team considering Mo Evans' great play. Profit did well for us, but I don't think he was anywhere near the player Evans is now.

Profit would not get many minutes considering how well Evans has been playing. Jones on the other hand could start at guard along side Kobe. He is still a great defender and would not have to play major minutes because we have Smush & Farmar to spell him.

Well, that is the question really. I'm not sure Eddie would be a guard in our offense. I think he be more of a three. The difference between Eddie Jones and Ron Harper is that Harper was a much better ball handler.

All that said, I would still love to have Eddie Jones back on the team and let Phil figure out where to play him. No doubt he improves our perimeter defense. I suspect that many of us still have a huge soft spot in our hearts for Eddie Jones. I know I certainly do.
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject:

Sign Eddie and reunite the Philly connection with Kobe and Aaron!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: