serious odom trade discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZerglingsRUS
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject:

Although Kirilenko would help on defense, I don't think he would be worth Odom, even with the extra pick. Kirileko's defense isn't much better than Odom's at the 4. Plus, Kirilenko would struggle with the triangle offense. Kirilenko excels more in an open system, fast breaks, and put backs. He doesn't have a post game, which Odom is great at.

So, no trade. Lets see where this team goes in the playoffs, and perhaps evaluate the team afterwards. Now, if we can get Garnett for Odom, then Yes!
tk421
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

No. Next Question
ZerglingsRUS
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

Although Kirilenko would help on defense, I don't think he would be worth Odom, even with the extra pick. Kirileko's defense isn't much better than Odom's at the 4. Plus, Kirilenko would struggle with the triangle offense. Kirilenko excels more in an open system, fast breaks, and put backs. He doesn't have a post game, which Odom is great at.

So, no trade. Lets see where this team goes in the playoffs, and perhaps evaluate the team afterwards. Now, if we can get Garnett for Odom, then Yes!
ZerglingsRUS
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject:

davidse wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
No.

np hector. thanks for the simple clear reply.

not sure i'm for it myself, just thought its worth entertaining.

the one thing i was sure of is the amount of childish responses i would get - and sure enough wolf and co do not disappoint.

thanks.

Well, good davidse, learn... Think...
KobeBryant42pointsathalf
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject:

rebirth wrote:
no way.. ODOM is the missing piece.. do you have any idea how much better we are going to be with odom.. name me one player that we could realisticly add that would improve this team more than odom's return will?
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject:

With midseason trades, you have to consider the setbacks the offense suffers, especially in the triangle which relies on everyone knowing the spacing and how to move the ball, which means that even changing one piece sets the entire team back to remedial level.

Even if AK returns to what he was in the last couple of years defensively, there would still be a significant loss on the offensive end. Would his defense make up for that difference?

The ultimate question would be is the team willing to all but throw away this season and start all over?

At 13 games over .500 with two starters scheduled to return in the next two weeks, I just don't see it being considered.
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
With midseason trades, you have to consider the setbacks the offense suffers, especially in the triangle which relies on everyone knowing the spacing and how to move the ball, which means that even changing one piece sets the entire team back to remedial level.

Even if AK returns to what he was in the last couple of years defensively, there would still be a significant loss on the offensive end. Would his defense make up for that difference?

The ultimate question would be is the team willing to all but throw away this season and start all over?

At 13 games over .500 with two starters scheduled to return in the next two weeks, I just don't see it being considered.

i would say - fair enough, but that is more than fair enough.
good post.
nice to have discussed things with you and zerlingsruss.

and glad to give the pack of wolves a place to let out some steam.
very important for kids.
EHL_2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject:

Well, if you're being serious, I'll play along for a second...

For one, I don't think Jackson does it simply becaues he values triangle learning curve above all else and Odom now has roughly 1.5-2 years of experience under his belt. To let him go for AK would assume AK is a quick learner and would be comfortable in the triangle. That's an unknown. However you slice it, far and away the biggest problem with AK is having no experience running the triangle, at least from the Phil's perspective, which is obviously quite important.

Secondly, while AK could rebound as well as Odom and, though he's not known for it, pass comparably to Odom (in half court only, not on the break where LO is particularly gifted). Offensively he's not nearly as talented a scorer as Odom and has never been in his career. He's very quick and has good touch, but basically zero dribble penetration moves. He's a very, very poor man's Shawn Marion as a scorer. Not much of a jumper either.

Now obviously you'd do this trade only because AK is the far superior defender, and he'd add a minimum of 2.5-3 blocks ever game weak side, which is desperately needed at that position on this team. His impact as a team defender is well known and he is even longer than LO himself, and much quicker at rotating too. Because AK would vastly improve this team's currently 23rd ranked FG% defense and points allowed per game, you'd absolutely have to at least consider it.

The problem, however, ends up being how do you realistically think the trade will turn out? Will AK's longer and more expensive contract, compared to Odom, disable the Lakers' ability to resign key young players like Bynum or Farmar? Will AK learn quickly or go through the usual steep learning curve? Will he be that 2nd option offensively when everyone else but Kobe goes dry? And injuries are a concern too (though Odom hasn't exactly been an iron man himself).

In reality, the Lakers would consider it, but ultimately not go through with the trade. Of course I'm just guessing.
PopcornMachine
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: serious odom trade discussion

davidse wrote:
i think that right now odom's value even eclipses kirilenko's.

I don't think that was ever not the case.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject:

EHL_2 wrote:
Well, if you're being serious, I'll play along for a second...

For one, I don't think Jackson does it simply becaues he values triangle learning curve above all else and Odom now has roughly 1.5-2 years of experience under his belt. To let him go for AK would assume AK is a quick learner and would be comfortable in the triangle. That's an unknown. However you slice it, far and away the biggest problem with AK is having no experience running the triangle, at least from the Phil's perspective, which is obviously quite important.

Secondly, while AK could rebound as well as Odom and, though he's not known for it, pass comparably to Odom (in half court only, not on the break where LO is particularly gifted). Offensively he's not nearly as talented a scorer as Odom and has never been in his career. He's very quick and has good touch, but basically zero dribble penetration moves. He's a very, very poor man's Shawn Marion as a scorer. Not much of a jumper either.

Now obviously you'd do this trade only because AK is the far superior defender, and he'd add a minimum of 2.5-3 blocks ever game weak side, which is desperately needed at that position on this team. His impact as a team defender is well known and he is even longer than LO himself, and much quicker at rotating too. Because AK would vastly improve this team's currently 23rd ranked FG% defense and points allowed per game, you'd absolutely have to at least consider it.

The problem, however, ends up being how do you realistically think the trade will turn out? Will AK's longer and more expensive contract, compared to Odom, disable the Lakers' ability to resign key young players like Bynum or Farmar? Will AK learn quickly or go through the usual steep learning curve? Will he be that 2nd option offensively when everyone else but Kobe goes dry? And injuries are a concern too (though Odom hasn't exactly been an iron man himself).

In reality, the Lakers would consider it, but ultimately not go through with the trade. Of course I'm just guessing.

now that's what i'm talking about !

great post.
kobe_somebody_odom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject:

for Kwame.... hell yeah, for Odom hell no

I want Bynum to continue to start anyway. More PT for Turiaf
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: serious odom trade discussion

PopcornMachine wrote:
davidse wrote:
i think that right now odom's value even eclipses kirilenko's.

I don't think that was ever not the case.

i'm not sure.
you think we could have traded odom for kirilenko last year ?
maybe.

2 years ago - never in our wildest dreams.

but no doubt that odom has the higher value right now.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject:

Now is not the best time to propose a trade. During winning time, we've got posters who would only trade Farmar for KG if Minnesota sweetens the deal with Trenton Hassell. I still can't get over the dillusion of that person.

Back in '05 when we sucked, I recall LG drooling over an AK47 for Odom deal. Now, I'm sure. We are really gelling and I don't trust Ivan Drago or Luke Skywalker as our second option. Lamar outplayed Shaw Marion and gave us life in that series. Pounding and scoring the ball inside. I don't see AK47 doing that for us. We get better defensively, but Odom isn't Brian Cook on defense, Lamar is decent. AK47's play isn't dominating enough to compensate for all that Odom brings and the risk of fixing something when it's not broke.

It's intriging and in reality, the lakers would have to give it serious thought. We're not in reality, we're in LG'ality. And in this world, you only propose these deals after a loss, not after a win.
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
Now is not the best time to propose a trade. During winning time, we've got posters who would only trade Farmar for KG if Minnesota sweetens the deal with Trenton Hassell. I still can't get over the dillusion of that person.

Back in '05 when we sucked, I recall LG drooling over an AK47 for Odom deal. Now, I'm sure. We are really gelling and I don't trust Ivan Drago or Luke Skywalker as our second option. Lamar outplayed Shaw Marion and gave us life in that series. Pounding and scoring the ball inside. I don't see AK47 doing that for us. We get better defensively, but Odom isn't Brian Cook on defense, Lamar is decent. AK47's play isn't dominating enough to compensate for all that Odom brings and the risk of fixing something when it's not broke.

It's intriging and in reality, the lakers would have to give it serious thought. We're not in reality, we're in LG'ality. And in this world, you only propose these deals after a loss, not after a win.

BLP711
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject:

No.

Odom stays.

And he'll prove everyone of you non-believers wrong. Bank on it.
Sidious
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject:

Why do you guys insist on wasting your time. There's no way in hell the Lakers are trading Odom
karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject:

Jeffs wrote:
Seriously, why? Making a trade just for the sake of making a trade is pointless.

Utah is a good team, almost certainly a top 4 seed, so their pick will be late in the draft.

Lamar is so, so valuable to the Lakers. Just think of how great the team will be once he returns.

AK is selfish. He sulks and plays poorly when he feels that he isn't getting as many touches as he should be. He lives and plays for the stats. I remember his first career triple double - he passed the ball to a teammate and screamed shoot, caring only for the stat. I don't think we need guys like that on our team.

Last, but not least, we're winning. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Lamar was having an All Star year before he went down. The Lakers have played fairly well without him - they'll only play better with him.
Not to mention the fact that Lamar knows the triangle. We'd be starting from scratch with AK47. Yeah, let's waste the next two seasons teaching AK the triangle. Waste even more of kobe's prime. There is a reason phil doesn't like mid season trades. He doesn't like starting at square one teaching the triangle all over again. We have great chemistry, energy, youth, and experience. And you want to disrupt that for what again? AK47 and a late pick?

davidse=clueless :roll:
Pappy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Ocho/Shoes - Don't bother. You are dealing with the biggest armchair GM in the history of Laker message boards.

Real GM personified

you have got to be kidding! say what you will about his topic, but you continue to lose creds with a statement like that. the pot, the kettle,..wow !
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject:

okay, Im not even going to pretend I read through all the posts.(especially the first)

Why are we going to worry about making ANY trade at this point in the season,and after a HUGE win. Were in the middle of something big. Were witnessing good thing happening right before our eyes.
Balki Bartokomous
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject:

Odom is only available for KG at this point and I don't see that being explored till the summer with the Wolves playing better now and LO possibly under 100% for the indefinite future.
HBA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject:

David,

The thing about Odom that has EVEN myself looking forward to his return is that his game fits so seamlessly into what is going on right now.

He penetrates and creates plays, thus taking pressure off Bryant. He rebounds well and he defends well.

All the areas where the lakers are weak without him.

He basically fits right in. Unlike Kobe, who, although the leader, best player on this team and the guy that will ultimately carry us, he is not the jack of all trades that Odom is, whereby his skills fit right into the grand scheme so quickly.

Thats why I am looking forward to Odom's return.

I honestly expect this team to take it up a notch upon his return and PROVE to themselves and to the league that they can reel off a ten game winning streak.

Just solidify their status and prove to themselves that they are in the discussion with Dallas and Phoenix, without question.

It will give us uber confidence.

Itll be interesting to see what Odom does for this team.
lamar7odom
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject:

odom is a laker for life!!
ajaxxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject:

I would have done it maybe last year but right now he is playing horrible he might have some physical problem so NO!
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject:

ugh, that's all i got to say about odom for ak.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6
Jump to: