Jason Kidd Is On The Trading Block: DO IT MITCH!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject:

very tough to come up with a trade that will make sense. and such a big financial comittment too.

no odom obviously, so kwame has to be included.

vlad ? we won't be offering enough assets to ask them to take him in the deal...

if there was some way we could get jason collins - i'll have no problem with moving kwame. but the salaries are very hard to balance.

the only thing close to a semi reasonable deal i could come up with was:

kwame, mihm, mckie, smush, picks
for
kidd, moore.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject:

J-Kidd would be great for the triangle. He is ball dominant because thats the system he plays, but he is made for the triangle and would adapt.

I think we had this argument a month or so ago when I started a thread which asked people to list their top five PGs they would like to have on our team.

I think my list came down to Chauncey Billups, Jason Kidd, Derron Williams, Kirk Hienrich, and Ray Allen.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject:

EHL_2 wrote:
mirak wrote:
Just out of curiosity, are there any other PGs out there you would like to see in P&G? I think I know the answer.

His answer: "I am Smush Parker's bodyguard".

Everyone, I'd like you all to meet my #1 obsessed fan = EHL. Say "hi" to the good people, bro.

Watch getting into ANY kind of debate with this dude, he tends to "digress" (LOL) during his debates...trust me on that one.

He's so shook.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:

I agree that is very unlikely, but the pluses for that trade for the Nets are this -

Vlad in a new setting where he might get more minutes and be more productive against weaker East teams. Especially since the Nets lack size (even if Vlad is soft, he is tall).

Mihm, Mckie, and Shammond are all expiring contracts adding up to about 9 million a year which goes off their cap this summer.

Two first round picks - this year is supposed to be the deepest draft ever, so that pick is probably worth a lottery pick any other year, and then they get one more pick to boot.

Its not as bad a deal as it looks if you don't just look at the talent involved, but the extra intangibles.

Still, very unlikely.

Not unlikely, impossible.

Vlad's problem isn't environment or minutes, it's his hand and the understanding of the offense. Just about every player that comes to the Lakers has had the same problem learning the offense. Putting him on the Nets without Kidd running the show wouldn't make things any easier or better.

Expiring contracts - that puts them at $56 million - still most likely over the cap or close enough that they would only have exceptions to work with.

As for depth of the draft, no draft has ever gone 30 deep and even in this draft, the depth won't really be determined until after the NBA season has ended.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

I agree that is very unlikely, but the pluses for that trade for the Nets are this -

Vlad in a new setting where he might get more minutes and be more productive against weaker East teams. Especially since the Nets lack size (even if Vlad is soft, he is tall).

Mihm, Mckie, and Shammond are all expiring contracts adding up to about 9 million a year which goes off their cap this summer.

Two first round picks - this year is supposed to be the deepest draft ever, so that pick is probably worth a lottery pick any other year, and then they get one more pick to boot.

Its not as bad a deal as it looks if you don't just look at the talent involved, but the extra intangibles.

Still, very unlikely.

Not unlikely, impossible.

Vlad's problem isn't environment or minutes, it's his hand and the understanding of the offense. Just about every player that comes to the Lakers has had the same problem learning the offense. Putting him on the Nets without Kidd running the show wouldn't make things any easier or better.

Expiring contracts - that puts them at $56 million - still most likely over the cap or close enough that they would only have exceptions to work with.

As for depth of the draft, no draft has ever gone 30 deep and even in this draft, the depth won't really be determined until after the NBA season has ended.

We can agree to disagree.

EHL_2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
I am Smush Parker's bodyguard.

We know.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
J-Kidd would be great for the triangle. He is ball dominant because thats the system he plays, but he is made for the triangle and would adapt.

No, every system he plays in allows him to be ball-dominant because that's his strong suit and that system calls for that attribute. You just can't take away a players best attributes and think he can excel in a system that doesn't play to his attributes.

Also, he's J is suspect, and that's a necessity for the triangle PG. We saw what happened to Payton when the PG responsibilities were taken out of his hands...what makes you think Kidd will be any different?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject:

Kidd isn't a headcase like Payton is.
Lamar2Kobe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject:

Just keep the team that we have. We have a young team right now ,lets not break it up for a 35 year old Point guard.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

No one thought GP was a headcase...until he got here.

And plus, given Kidd's domestic issues, I wouldn't want to put that to the test. Restraining orders, beatings over french fries, divorce proceedings...all playing out in the media with more to come...it has potential headcase written all over it.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

No one thought GP was a headcase...until he got here.

And plus, given Kidd's domestic issues, I wouldn't want to put that to the test. Restraining orders, beatings over french fries, divorce proceedings...all playing out in the media with more to come...it has potential headcase written all over it.

<<Dons typical LG personna>>

I don't know what that means, but I want it
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
Quote:

No, every system he plays in allows him to be ball-dominant because that's his strong suit and that system calls for that attribute. You just can't take away a players best attributes and think he can excel in a system that doesn't play to his attributes.

Also, he's J is suspect, and that's a necessity for the triangle PG. We saw what happened to Payton when the PG responsibilities were taken out of his hands...what makes you think Kidd will be any different?

He can make wide-open 3s which he doesn't get much of a chance to shoot because he has to create his own shot, while the triangle would create shots for him. Same with mid-range shots. He is at least as good as Smush and likely better if the pressure is taken off of him to create for himself and be a primary playmaker.

He also is a great rebounding guard and is extremely smart. He would make passes that would awe us even more than some of Luke's. If we are a great passing team now, imagine Kidd at the PG. We would probably have the best passers for their position in the entire league at every position except center (Kidd at PG, Kobe at SG, Luke at SF, and LO at PF).

You say he is ball dominant because the system is catered to him...how many teams in the L run the triangle? Only the Lakers.

In any case, when it comes to a half court set, he is great, its just because of the teams he has been on, he is asked to push the ball and thus dominates the ball in doing so (see Dallas, Phoenix, and NJ...all teams known for playing fast ball). New Jersey also runs the Princeton offense which has elements similar to the triangle.

You cannot say he would be a ball dominant player on our team and couldn't adapt when he has never been asked to adapt. He is a consumate professional and team player, and like I said, he has shown an ability to pass and work well within a half court offense.

All of this and don't forget the great D (which yes I know, you also disagree about).

Not much more to debate, either agree with me or you don't. Cool either way.

LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
Quote:

He can make wide-open 3s which he doesn't get much of a chance to shoot because he has to create his own shot, while the triangle would create shots for him. Same with mid-range shots. He is at least as good as Smush and likely better if the pressure is taken off of him to create for himself and be a primary playmaker.

He also is a great rebounding guard and is extremely smart. He would make passes that would awe us even more than some of Luke's. If we are a great passing team now, imagine Kidd at the PG. We would probably have the best passers for their position in the entire league at every position except center (Kidd at PG, Kobe at SG, Luke at SF, and LO at PF).

You say he is ball dominant because the system is catered to him...how many teams in the L run the triangle? Only the Lakers.

In any case, when it comes to a half court set, he is great, its just because of the teams he has been on, he is asked to push the ball and thus dominates the ball in doing so (see Dallas, Phoenix, and NJ...all teams known for playing fast ball). New Jersey also runs the Princeton offense which has elements similar to the triangle.

You cannot say he would be a ball dominant player on our team and couldn't adapt when he has never been asked to adapt. He is a consumate professional and team player, and like I said, he has shown an ability to pass and work well within a half court offense.

All of this and don't forget the great D (which yes I know, you also disagree about).

No, Kidd is a very streaker shooter, and mostly he's off more than he's on in terms of 3s.

Kidd's "awesome" passes would only come on a break, not in the triangle and I could care less if he wows me with a nice pass...after Magic...what else can anyone possibly impress me with?

And since the Lakers is the only team that runs the tri, there's no telling how Kidd would be able to adjust to not being the initiator and primary rock holder.

You mention teams with PGs that play uptempo...the Lakers don't play uptempo.

I just don't see him a good fit in the triangle.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
Quote:

No, Kidd is a very streaker shooter, and mostly he's off more than he's on in terms of 3s.

Kidd's "awesome" passes would only come on a break, not in the triangle and I could care less if he wows me with a nice pass...after Magic...what else can anyone possibly impress me with?

And since the Lakers is the only team that runs the tri, there's no telling how Kidd would be able to adjust to not being the initiator and primary rock holder.

To be fair, I believe Tex Winter once said Kidd was well suited for the tri (the same Tex who thought Magic was UNsuited for the tri)
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
Quote:

Like I said, not much more to debate...I think you already said all that in your previous post.

I can understand wanting to get the last word though which I am sort of doing with this post...lol.

LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
Quote:

To be fair, I believe Tex Winter once said Kidd was well suited for the tri (the same Tex who thought Magic was UNsuited for the tri)

Now I agree, Magic would be THEE worst triangle PG. Talk about BALL DOMINANT PG! ..Magic would have Phil fired within the first 15 games!
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
24 wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
Quote:

Now I agree, Magic would be THEE worst triangle PG. Talk about BALL DOMINANT PG! ..Magic would have Phil fired within the first 15 games!

Magic was a strange dichotomy in that he needed to dominate the ball in order to most effectively give it away. If nothing else, Phil would have respected the zen in that.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:01 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
Quote:

Like I said, not much more to debate...I think you already said all that in your previous post.

I can understand wanting to get the last word though which I am sort of doing with this post...lol.

Oh.

Naw, just kiddin'. But actually everything in my post was new and coincided in response to your post.

But if you want the last word in, bro...by all means...take it.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Magic was a strange dichotomy in that he needed to dominate the ball in order to most effectively give it away. If nothing else, Phil would have respected the zen in that.

Yeah, but would Phil suppress his huge ego to allow Maj's even bigger ego to run the show? I seriously doubt that.
lakers2626
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject:

I think if we did get Kidd, I think we would improve our fast break. Which would make us a better offensive team then we our now, bc we would be able to run up and down the court, but also control tempo by playing the half court game.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject:

lakers2626 wrote:
I think if we did get Kidd, I think we would improve our fast break. Which would make us a better offensive team then we our now, bc we would be able to run up and down the court, but also control tempo by playing the half court game.

although it is hard to control the tempo in the half court whilst running up and down the court
EightTimesThree
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
The only triple double Kidd should be worried about is the 3 children who are having their lives ruined by 2 jerks.

THat's poetry my friend, poetry.

BTW, I wanted cheese on my fries. Back to you Furnell.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
lakers2626 wrote:

although it is hard to control the tempo in the half court whilst running up and down the court

I agree, I don't think we need improvement in the fast break area. I think our fast break is actually exactly where it should be. We are not a run and gun team, we control tempo and run our offense.

Our fast break has improved and occurs more often as the team earns Phil's trust to free the reigns a little more by showing consistent better decision making. In the past, Phil couldn't trust our PGs (and even Luke and LO to an extent) because they weren't making good decisions and were being careless. But now, the players b-ball IQs are going up, so Phil can give them a little more control. With that said, I think our fast break potential is at its max right now and if anything, we need to slow it down a little more and stop relying on quick threes early in the shot clock.

kobekicks
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:04 am    Post subject:

Quote:
We don't have enough drama here, we need Joumana's crazy ass hangin around too?

AHHAHAHAH

Kobe's legal team would put that scallywag in check.
jch31480
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:16 am    Post subject:

i can't see lakers give up kwame to get kidd... of course kidd is more valuable and any team would want a player like Kidd.. but lakers are already in lack of size.. and for all the kwame's shortcoming on the offensive end, he is lakers best interior defensive player, and always play well against tough competition like Duncan, KG...

i wouldn't mind giving up either Walton/Smush/Vlad for Kidd though.. or Cook/Smush/Vlad for Kidd...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7
Jump to: