Lakers: Caught in the Webb
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:08 am    Post subject: Lakers: Caught in the Webb

Hey all,

Here's my summary of the Webber situation:

Caught in the Webb

Thanks

Eric
SteveMachine
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:13 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the article, sums up the situation.
SaintsLakers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:21 am    Post subject:

I hope we do get him. You can never have enough depth in my opinion.
He has a very nice stroke from 15 to 20ft and could fill a Horace grant type role.
prisma8slg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:14 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the recap. my cable was acting up yesterday so I missed him on TNT.

"I've seen it all. Sasha dunked on somebody," Kobe Bryant said. "I'm ready to retire now."
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:36 am    Post subject:

I wonder if Magic has contacted him yet? Sure, playing at home in Detroit may be worth it, but he has been gone from MI for so long is it even home anymore?

Look at who could call him from the Lakers: Buss, Magic, Kobe, Phil, Cap, Odom. Those are some great names to receive a phone call from.

DO IT, MITCH'S SECRETARY!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
limchrc
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the update.
TIM CAMPBELL
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject:

As stated before would be a nice pickup. I just hope he is healthy
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject:

This raises some questions,

• is Chris Webber worth giving a starting role to? I wouldn't even consider him a center, we need a PF that can shoot and defend. Can he defend? Can he move and jump better than Cook? I haven't paid much attention to his game so i'm asking those who have followed his career.

• If we get him this year, how do we keep him next year when we have contracts coming up....

• how long will it take him to "get it" in Phil's uber complicated offense? Phrased another way, will he understand enough of the Tri to make us a championship contender this year?

I'll be interested in hearing some thoughts on this.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject:

Webber has been around for a long long time. He has likely played in the Princeton offence- I believe that the kings ran something similar. He could probably pick it up- Karl Malone had a training camp to learn it and he did well.

Not sure how it would go. One thing I do know is that a hobbled old CW is still more athletic than Brian Cook.
BigEvil
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject:

Chris Webber, even in his declining years is still a good player. He may not be as explosive as he once was, but he has s great skill-set for the Triangle. He would definitely fit the PF nitch because he's a great passer and has developed a reliable outside shot. So you could still have Kwame and Bynum in the post with him in there.

I don't know much about his b-ball IQ, everyone remembers his mistaken time-out call but other than that, I've never heard of him being a slow study.

As far as defense, I remember he used to play decent D, though I never would have called him a stopper. I imagine he could be a very good weakside defender when Kwame bodies up.

He is very strong and well built. Considering that he averages 20 and 10 just last year points to the fact that he can still play.

Here in L.A., he will benefit from the system and won't have to worry about carrying a team.

The real question will end up being that if he starts, Odom will have to move to SF. As always, LG seems to be divided on this with one half believing that SF is his natural position and others stating that he's best at PF. Either way, Luke will have to go to the bench because I don't see them benching Odom.

I'm only half kidding when I say that maybe they should try Odom at Point just for a couple of games. That would be super tall line-up...
ryuvienco
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject:

great recap E. I was waiting for you to put your two cents in on that 16 page( last i checked) thread on C-Webb. I guess we have to wait...
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject:

Thanks Eric! I've been waiting on this article ever since the BREAKING NEWS about Chris...
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject:

BigEvil wrote:

I'm only half kidding when I say that maybe they should try Odom at Point just for a couple of games. That would be super tall line-up...

I'd like to see that lineup, just give it a try.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject:

I saw the TNT interview and it didn't at all sound like Detroit was the front runner for Webb. In fact, it sounded like the Lakers were the front runners. You then add Goodwan's claims that Chris "wants to go West" and that "Chris Loves LA", and it sure doesn't sound like Detroit first and foremost.

Is it possible that people are just assuming that since he's from Michigan they must automatically be the front runners? Clearly, if he's thinking titles, he has to think about the caliber of coach and does the coach of whatever team he chooses, know how to coach a team to a title? Flip Saunders is not a strong playoff coach AT ALL. Indeed, with the exception of one year, his teams always suck and underperform in the playoffs. If winning a title is the goal, Chris has to consider that. After all, he's already played for a great regular season, all-offense, coach only to always lose in the post-season.

Why is everyone so sure it's Detroit first and then everyone else?
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:

Probably because LG'rs are too used to seeing players like Chris Webber slip through our fingers.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject:

i think he probably had some very positive negotiation with Detroit and someone close to it confused the progress with actual results

or

Webber's agent leaked the Pistons stuff for whatever reason

or

people are just idiots

or

someone is lying

very hard to tell
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
i think he probably had some very positive negotiation with Detroit and someone close to it confused the progress with actual results

or

or

people are just idiots

or

someone is lying

very hard to tell

That's hilarious, Eric! Thanks for that.

On TNT, Chris just talked with so much detail and praise about the Lakers, and he didn't give that much love and burn to the other teams on his list. He hardly even talked about Detroit, other than to say the reports of a nearly done deal were untrue, and that he absolutely had not made up his mind. He could be blowing smoke, but why? It's not like he needs to push up his own value - money is not going to be an issue in this thing.

Interesting to see what happens, that's for sure. I hope we land a rejuvinated and excited Chris Webber.
raffi
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject:

He's coming here.

First Beckham . . . now Webb.

Trump is out here.

Bonds is probably next.
KOBE2007MVP
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject:

emplay wrote:

or

or

people are just idiots

or

someone is lying

very hard to tell

Hi Eric,

Thank for the article. I've been waiting for it for a couple of days now.
I beleive all this Detroit stuff is just smoke screen from his agent to make the Lakers come up with more dough! Don't you agree?
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject:

no - the lakers have no means to come up with more dough
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject:

Rick12322 wrote:
LakerJam wrote:

Probably because LG'rs are too used to seeing players like Chris Webber slip through our fingers.

Er, except it is not just LGers who are claiming this. This is mentioned in any number of articles found at ESPN, InsideHoops, HoopsHype, Hoopsworld, etc., as well as several leading newspapers.

Sure, the Detroit Free Press is a little biased in their reporting, but it is still a major newspaper.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject:

i wish he was still dating Tyra, then he would have come to LA for sure
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject:

Some additional tidbits that TNT offered for everyone's consideration:

** Wouldn't be in the Western Conference because he would have to battle the elite PFs on a daily basis (physically, Sir Charles doesn't think his body can take the steady punishment), where on the Eastern Conference (if he would be starting) - he wouldn't have this dilemma outside of Rasheed and many a few others

** If he is coming off the bench while playing PF or 5, he would be against the 2nd team players with less minutes. He would would be a good anchor for the 2nd team and/or during crunch time while being a good release man with great passes coming from LO/Luke to shoot clean shots - ala Robert Horry (probably the best comparison).
karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:

** Wouldn't be in the Western Conference because he would have to battle the elite PFs on a daily basis (physically, Sir Charles doesn't think his body can take the steady punishment), where on the Eastern Conference (if he would be starting) - he wouldn't have this dilemma outside of Rasheed and many a few others

** If he is coming off the bench while playing PF or 5, he would be against the 2nd team players with less minutes. He would would be a good anchor for the 2nd team and/or during crunch time while being a good release man with great passes coming from LO/Luke to shoot clean shots - ala Robert Horry (probably the best comparison).
Your first point could be remedied pretty easily. When we play those teams, kwame or LO could take them, and C-Webb could take the center (a pretty weak position nowadays). We could start Smush, Kobe LO Kwame, C-Webb in that instance. Or, LO could take them (Dirk, Pau) and we could start Smush, Kobe, Luke, LO and C-Webb. We'd be really versatile.

I don't see how you don't upgrade the team by picking up someone with his talents practically for free, not having to give up any pieces of the team. It's a no-brainer, at least to me. This is a gift. The upgrade in rebounding ability alone would be worth it, not to mention he can shoot the outside jumper (which is what the PF in the triangle is supposed to be able to do), he is a great passer, has good bball IQ, can play either PF or C. He's be head and shoulders better than Cook and Vlade put together! Plus we are very thin upfront right now!
JM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject:

[quote="karlmalonefan"]
A Mad Chinaman wrote:

Better to have on the roster than McKee, who clearly has run his physical course. That would give Lakers 3 'shooter' powerforwards. Whew (Cook, Radman and Webber.) His main asset these days is his passing ability.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: