In Los Angeles: Waiting for a Callback
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: In Los Angeles: Waiting for a Callback

Hey all - here's a quick report written here at Staples:

link

Thanks

Eric
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject:

keep in mind that Denver's folks were saying the same thing about Philly when Iverson was first on the market.
ShowtimeDynasty_24/7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject:

thanks a lot, great as always...
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject:

Thanks, E. Hope the family's well.

Why do I think Webb is playing us like every other highly-fan-coveted free agent...

MIM
Mercboyz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject:

thanks for keeping us in the loop emplay.
RMurphy_22
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject:

The last thing I heard Webber's agent say was that Chris was going to sleep on his decision tonight. Is it possible he is reviewing the games tonight of the interested teams before phone calls are returned?

I believe that the acquistion of C. Webb would take are team to another level.

Go Lakers
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
If Rodman was to be able to pick up the offense, Jackson joked, "It can't possibly be that complicated."

What are you trying to say Phil?
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject:

Tonight showed again why we need Webber. Webber is easily the best rebounder on the Lakers if they added him while Lamar is out. Bynum should get there eventually but FT is limited his effectiveness and probably will until he learns how to play defense at the NBA level.

We need more defensive rebounding. We need more post game on offense - not neccesarily a bigman that can score inside - even more paint scores through passes from the highpost would be great. More penetration from the guards coming off Webber setting a screen.

I am really telling you guys. Get Webber. He is worth the risk and definitely a player that can put us over the top offensively and improve the team defensive rebounding wise.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
rebirth
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject:

all i can sat is......

thanks for the update Eric
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Tonight showed again why we need Webber. Webber is easily the best rebounder on the Lakers if they added him while Lamar is out. Bynum should get there eventually but FT is limited his effectiveness and probably will until he learns how to play defense at the NBA level.

We need more defensive rebounding. We need more post game on offense - not neccesarily a bigman that can score inside - even more paint scores through passes from the highpost would be great. More penetration from the guards coming off Webber setting a screen.

I am really telling you guys. Get Webber. He is worth the risk and definitely a player that can put us over the top offensively and improve the team defensive rebounding wise.

amen. although we are not desperate, why not use every means necessary to sign him at a reduced price? i think the lakers front office is full of themselves sometimes and think that since we are the LAKERS that free agents should bow down to their knees for a chance to play with us. Do your job mitch and get it done. Even when LO and Kwame come back we are still a top 4-6th team. with C-Webb we are a top 3 team in the west. lets not be complacent
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject:

EMAIL: communityoutreach _at_ chriswebber.com

(WWW.CHRISWEBBER.COM)
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:31 pm    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:
Thanks, E. Hope the family's well.

Why do I think Webb is playing us like every other highly-fan-coveted free agent...

MIM

methinks you are correct

Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:35 pm    Post subject:

Mr. EiGhTy-OnE wrote:
amen. although we are not desperate, why not use every means necessary to sign him at a reduced price? i think the lakers front office is full of themselves sometimes and think that since we are the LAKERS that free agents should bow down to their knees for a chance to play with us. Do your job mitch and get it done. Even when LO and Kwame come back we are still a top 4-6th team. with C-Webb we are a top 3 team in the west. lets not be complacent

What means would you propose that they use that they currently aren't using?
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:41 pm    Post subject:

thanks eric.
i was a little worried about the "not returning our calls" part, but that little a.i. clarification you made helped improve my mood a bit...

however, it is hard to imagine that webber is playing games here.
its not like the pistons can offer more money and he's trying to get leverage.
the only ones who have any room to wiggle and consider their offer to him are the heat. unless he's seriously considering going there, i find it hard to believe that his agent not returning our calls is trying to pressure the lakers or anyone else for that matter.
it's either the minimum or no webber right ? so no point in playing games...

also, right after webber was bought out and the pistons emerged as front runners for him (or at least a very likely destination), realgm reported that the pistons are after mo pete. i would guess they'll have to use dale davis' contract in a mo pete package, and don't think they would consider doing that unless webber joins - so perhaps that shows that they know something ?

still keeping my fingers crossed, and happy to see that a lot of the blind hatred for webber has disappeared from the board (at least for now...).
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject:

the general vibe is that the lakers aren't going to extend themselves to far to get Webber - but are interested.

Most people I talked to figured someone else will get him.
fakethefunk
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:20 am    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
keep in mind that Denver's folks were saying the same thing about Philly when Iverson was first on the market.

I was just about to say "Ok they are not returning calls, its a wrap, but now you say this, and now theirs still hope
as much as we can use Webbers help, at the same time it seems not worth it. Thanks for the insight.

KOBE BRYANT
jumpinmp
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:31 am    Post subject:

Webber would be a welcome addition off the bench, but if you think Brian Cook is bad on defense, I don't want to know what you'll think of CWebb.
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:52 am    Post subject:

Exick wrote:
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE wrote:

What means would you propose that they use that they currently aren't using?

maybe they are doing everything they can and their comments are a smoke screen. but if C-Webb doesnt receive calls from Buss, Mitch, Magic, Kobe, Phil then they didny try hard enough. Or how about saying publicly how much we want C-Webb,im pretty sure C-Webb is watching. im sick of the "we'll evaluate the situation" comment. they know what Webber can do.
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: In Los Angeles: Waiting for a Callback

Am I the only one who see's playing time in a guaranteed(for duration of contract) STARTING ROLE as the one and only obstacle between LA and Detroit?

Does anyone think Chris Webber is worthy of the above described guarantee?
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject:

No
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject:

Webber was a choking dumbass at Michigan, we was a choking dumbass at Sacramento.

Now he's a broken down, choking dumbass.

While he might help... contrary to the just do it, Mitch crowd... he DOES NOT put anyone over the top.
nateball
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject:

JD wrote:
Webber was a choking dumbass at Michigan, we was a choking dumbass at Sacramento.

While he might help... contrary to the just do it, Mitch crowd... he DOES NOT put anyone over the top.

Quit beating around the bush JD...tell us what you really think
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject:

webber is an experienced veteran who would be a GREAT asset come playoff time and he'd fit in perfectly in the triangle. he'd be the best power forward on this team.
golakersgo121
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject:

JD wrote:

Another voice of reason. I am reading all these pages of "get C-Webb" multiple threads; it gets less and less funny.

The Lakers CAN offer him a job. The Lakers SHOULD offer him a job.

Guarantees? Starting job - no matter how he plays

Geez, are we all of a sudden Charlotte Bobcats?

This team did not hesitate to seat Shaq (at his prime) when he was a liability in the fourth quarter, but has to guarantee C-Webb minutes?

We have offered him a job, people. Any guarantee above "you play well - you get the minutes; you suck or represent matchup problem for us - you seat" would be ridiculous. We are in a "win-win" situation. He comes - fine. He does not - we'll play with what we have...

C-Webb will be option #3 on this team. If he is fine with it: here is contract for you to sign. If he is looking for higher exposure - he has to play somewhere else...
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject:

jumpinmp wrote:
Webber would be a welcome addition off the bench, but if you think Brian Cook is bad on defense, I don't want to know what you'll think of CWebb.

Webber has rebounding as is one saving grace defensively, and he does it quite well even for a gimp.

Brian Cook's best defensive play is when he just wraps players up preventing them from getting two points, as that is his ONLY way to stop anyone. Just foul them and hope they don't single you out again.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: