Oil prices fell below $54 a barrel: Why are gas prices still up?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Oil prices fell below $54 a barrel: Why are gas prices still up?

When oil fell to below $60 a barrel, gas prices were lower. Why did they go up?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject:

because stern and the refs want oil prices up so wade can win another title.

it's almost too easy...
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject:

Refinery problems cause the price of oil to go up.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject:

I think the oil companies are gouging the public.
uberzev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
because stern and the refs want oil prices up so wade can win another title.

it's almost too easy...
lol
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject:

gas prices are where they will remain for a long time. The oil well owners, exporters, and oil companies had HUGE years selling at this current price. Why would they go back down when they know we all need it and we won't be cutting our oil consumption any time soon. Besides, it is winter, peak time for using oil to heat houses, why lower prices now?

The only way oil prices will ever go down are:

1 - complete change of heart and good will to all people from those who profit from high oil prices, even for those who can barely afford any oil for heat (HA!)

2 - Finding a cheap, alternative energy source that is readily available.

3 - The threat that alternative energy is near. Once this happens, oil prices drop, everyone will forget the need for alternative energy (remember the 1970s oil crisis?), and go back to using the good old reliable and available oil.

We really do need to develop alternative energy sources. Not only because it is good for the environment, but it is also good for business, and overall good for this country. The less money we pump into those crazy countries in the mideast, the better off we will be. More money stays here, less chances money goes out to terrorists. Not only that, but we need to keep US money here in the US so foreign investors don't wind up owning the US.

OK, I am done with my rant now
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakerzpimp08
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject:

a lot of factors contribute to the price of gas. of course the price per barrel is a big factor but who have to account for other things as well. such as transpotation cost.[i live in texas, so shipping cost are less since most imports come through the gulf.] even if gas is less than $54 a barrel it really doesnt matter because demand for gas remains very high and oil refineries cannot handle the demand. usually they never run at full capactiy becuase its nearly impossible to due to mechanical errors that arise.[they usually run close to 93%-97%] one of the biggest factors that people tend to ignore is that the last refinery built in the u.s was in 1976!!! so we are very limited in our ability to turn oil into gasoline and so we have to rely on imported gasoline. we cant control the price we pay for that imported gasoline beause we really dont have a choice because we need it. theirs tons more factors but i dont wanna bore u guys

"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards... Checkmate!"

I'm the man with no name... Zapp Brannigan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
lakerzpimp08
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject:

i almost forgot to mention that the price per barrell u see is for a future contract. currently the price today is close to $51, but thats for a february contract. so prices will go down but its gonna take a while to see the difference at the pump

"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards... Checkmate!"

I'm the man with no name... Zapp Brannigan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject:

LOL! The ONLY factor that contributes to high gas prices is that THE WORLD IS DEPENDENT ON IT! ...Simple as that. The moment we wise-up and stop depending on gas is the exact moment gas prices will plummet and stay down. Until then, they will continue to feed us the bullcrap of the ole "Refinery Problems"..."Winter Grade of Gas" ..."Low Emission Grade of Gas" excuses as to why it's high. The ONLY reason = HIGH DEMAND.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject:

The oil price continued to drop down close to $51, but rebounded to $52. It's funny how the gas prices respond quickly to oil price increases, but they don't seem to go down.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject:

Winter grade gasoline. Change in chemical formula to better respond to lower average temperatures.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Tony Almeida
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
LOL! The ONLY factor that contributes to high gas prices is that THE WORLD IS DEPENDENT ON IT! ...Simple as that. The moment we wise-up and stop depending on gas is the exact moment gas prices will plummet and stay down. Until then, they will continue to feed us the bullcrap of the ole "Refinery Problems"..."Winter Grade of Gas" ..."Low Emission Grade of Gas" excuses as to why it's high. The ONLY reason = HIGH DEMAND.

haha bingo!

It's simple, supply and demand.

We need it, they have it.

The market determines the price, and the price is based off the demand. The demand is unbelievably high, even as the prices go higher the demand keeps on growing as well -- The increase in prices in THEORY should deteriorate the demand for oil or at least slow it. But that is why the oil market is such a phenomenon, oil is a NEED around the world, or perceived to be. We have become dependent on it, we should find an alternative and turn this need into a want, where the higher prices would lead to less demand, but it doesn't look like it will happen anytime soon.

Any other junk they want you to believe through the news and media is just that, junk. They might be factors, and there are more politics involved, but this is the reason oil prices are so high. Until the WORLD develops some type of alternative or lowers their demand magically, expect oil to stay relatively high. I was actually pretty worried when they were saying oil will reach $100, sure in economic theory this would lower our demand and then eventually the prices would have to come back down, but in the real world, I didn't think this would happen. Good thing we haven't had to face that dilemma...yet...
hig
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject:

The only reason the gas prices were so low in Sept./Oct....it was before the election.

"Gee...see how low the gas prices are with the republicans in control?"

Notice how they went right up after Nov. 4??
Money$hot!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject:

hig wrote:
The only reason the gas prices were so low in Sept./Oct....it was before the election.

"Gee...see how low the gas prices are with the republicans in control?"

Notice how they went right up after Nov. 4??

Ya beat me to it hig, and you're spot on. Gas hit $2.16 in Costa Mesa on Nov. 4th and the day after began their rise back to $2.49 where they are right now. Wait tilll 2008 and watch prices plummet again.
hig
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject:

I'll take that. It's $2.53-2.67 up here in Sacto.
Lakers_2000
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject:

Gas prices have gone down in my area.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject:

Oligopoly pricing power.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: