The OFFICIAL Chris Webber Thread (Webber to Detroit)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 57, 58, 59  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject:

Wolverine wrote:
Big Game James wrote:
The Dagger wrote:
psydesho wrote:
I believe Mihm would be cut.

They will save Mihm for a possible sign-n-trade.

There's no way they cut Mihm. That's just stupid. Mihm has a considerable amount of value even though he's out for this season. He'll play next season and be someone's (if not ours) solid bigman.

The question is, will we lose our bird rights if we cut him.

I'm pretty sure we do.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject:

Wolverine wrote:
Big Game James wrote:
The Dagger wrote:
psydesho wrote:

There's no way they cut Mihm. That's just stupid. Mihm has a considerable amount of value even though he's out for this season. He'll play next season and be someone's (if not ours) solid bigman.

I think so. If we cut him, we can longer us him for S&T. We cut him, he goes off to any other team he wants and we have no say about it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:
But McKie got part of the MLE. We don't have the MLE to spend anymore (the full amount (~$5 million) was used on Vlad Rad). I think the vet minimum is just over $1 million, or maybe as high as $1.5 million.

Factor that into whoever we cut's salary. Say McKie gets cut, his salary plus Webber's new salary will both count against the salary cap, even though McKie would no longer be with the team anymore.

Even if all we have to offer is the vet minimum (which I believe it is) and saying for arguments sake that the vet minimum is $1.5 million, then I still believe that is what C-Webb is looking for. A one year contract. Then, once he proves himself to whatever team he goes to, he gets upped to a few million. Thus making roughly $5 million... exactly what he lost by being bought out.
rebirth
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject:

Sky over at CL posted this.

Quote:
New York
New Jersey
Detroit
Miami
Lakers

Would be my guess at Webber's shopping list.

http://www.clublakers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=65928&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30
OX1947
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject:

Webber does two things that this team is desperate to have and doesnt remotely have on the team. A PF who can hit the 15 footers and pass in the post. He would be the apex of the triangle when he is on the court and his passing skills are excellent. I would take him in a second.
Luke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject:

Big Game James wrote:
encina1 wrote:
But McKie got part of the MLE. We don't have the MLE to spend anymore (the full amount (~$5 million) was used on Vlad Rad). I think the vet minimum is just over $1 million, or maybe as high as $1.5 million.

Factor that into whoever we cut's salary. Say McKie gets cut, his salary plus Webber's new salary will both count against the salary cap, even though McKie would no longer be with the team anymore.

Even if all we have to offer is the vet minimum (which I believe it is) and saying for arguments sake that the vet minimum is $1.5 million, then I still believe that is what C-Webb is looking for. A one year contract. Then, once he proves himself to whatever team he goes to, he gets upped to a few million. Thus making roughly $5 million... exactly what he lost by being bought out.

I think at this point he doesn't care so much about the money.

Championship, playing time, wins are what he wants : in what order I don't know
Luke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject:

rebirth wrote:

Quote:
New York
New Jersey
Detroit
Miami
Lakers

http://www.clublakers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=65928&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

I know that Skiles is defensive - minded, but they could use him in Chicago...
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject:

rebirth wrote:

Quote:
New York
New Jersey
Detroit
Miami
Lakers

I just don't see why Webber would entertain the idea of going to NY. He will probably consider two things in this order:
1) A team that has a shot at a championship.
2) Some playing time.

Although he won't be a starter on many teams, he would still want some time on the floor. But with NY, his chance at a ring would be nothing more than a dream. The other 4 teams I would think he would definitely consider.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject:

Big Game James wrote:
McKie is (from what I hear a key component in the locker room. I can't see the organization cutting him. As for Shammond... I don't know what he brings to the table. To me, he's the obvious choice if we do sign Webber.

I've never seen a team hold onto a player that doesn't play but is good in the lockerroom.

If it came down to "Mckie for Webb", McKie will easily be the casualty for Webb's arrival.
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
I've never seen a team hold onto a player that doesn't play but is good in the lockerroom.

If it came down to "Mckie for Webb", McKie will easily be the casualty for Webb's arrival.

I completely agree! My point in saying this was to show that McKie has more value to the organization than Shammond does. Thus, Shammond would (in my opinion) be the casualty. But if push comes to shove, then I would shove McKie to make room for Webber.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject:

I was on a site... cant remember now (I'll find it and post it) but it mentions Dallas as a big player in the Webber sweepstakes....
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject:

Big Game James wrote:
Wolverine wrote:
Big Game James wrote:
The Dagger wrote:
psydesho wrote:

I'm pretty sure we do.

a team releasing a player relinquishes all rights, including Bird rights, for that player.
rebirth
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject:

heres i alittle more gas for the fire from Ben Maller!

http://www.benmaller.com/nba_rumors_notes

Quote:
Chris Webber apparently has played his last game with the 76ers. A source told the Daily News late last night that Webber and the Sixers had agreed on the terms of a buyout of the remainder of his contract, and that the details could be finalized as soon as today. The source said that Webber, who will become a free agent, would give back less than $5 million in the deal. In his 14th NBA season, Webber is listed on the team's salary cap at $20,718,750 this season and is due $22,312,500 next season. Instant Rumor: Webber to Lakers, Knicks or Pistons.

Pappy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject:

KobeDunk wrote:
I was on a site... cant remember now (I'll find it and post it) but it mentions Dallas as a big player in the Webber sweepstakes....

thats the thing, Webber goes to a team like Dallas or miami and helps them immediatly with depth, experience and whatever minutes the need from him. coming to the lakers, he sits on the bench as insurance due to the triangle.

we go through this every year at this time and every year its the same. last year we grabbed jimmy jackson, but when the playoffs came and we were in desperate need of experience at the qaurd spot against the suns, phil barley used him. effective or not we never got a chance to find out!

it doesnt work here in LA these mid season, 1 year contracts. Webber would be a fool to come here unless he made it known to management and coaches, what were the real odds of him even getting in games. look how Phil falls in love with guys like Cook who cant do jack on a "regular" basis!...i dont see it realistically goin down, hope I'm wrong!
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject:

Pappy wrote:
KobeDunk wrote:

thats the thing, Webber goes to a team like Dallas or miami and helps them immediatly with depth, experience and whatever minutes the need from him. coming to the lakers, he sits on the bench as insurance due to the triangle.

we go through this every year at this time and every year its the same. last year we grabbed jimmy jackson, but when the playoffs came and we were in desperate need of experience at the qaurd spot against the suns, phil barley used him. effective or not we never got a chance to find out!

it doesnt work here in LA these mid season, 1 year contracts. Webber would be a fool to come here unless he made it known to management and coaches, what were the real odds of him even getting in games. look how Phil falls in love with guys like Cook who cant do jack on a "regular" basis!...i dont see it realistically goin down, hope I'm wrong!

Except Jackson and Webber should not be compared to each other. According to those more knowledgeable about the game than me, Sacramento did run a form of the triangle when Webber was with them. So he has some background already and would be willing to help out.

Besides, I think Webber has a lot more to offer than Jackson does. Comparing those two is unfair, as they bring different qualities to the game and team.

Also, the Sacramento team was based on passing and intelligent playing, which is what is needed in the triangle. Do you think Sacramento gave the Lakers a tough time out of sheer luck?

I can't remember his name, but the old Princeton coach was an assistant with Sacramento. That man is no fool, so I am sure he taught the Queens valuable lessons on how to play and run a proper team. Hopefully Webber remembers what he learned there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:
Pappy wrote:
KobeDunk wrote:

Except Jackson and Webber should not be compared to each other. According to those more knowledgeable about the game than me, Sacramento did run a form of the triangle when Webber was with them. So he has some background already and would be willing to help out.

Besides, I think Webber has a lot more to offer than Jackson does. Comparing those two is unfair, as they bring different qualities to the game and team.

Also, the Sacramento team was based on passing and intelligent playing, which is what is needed in the triangle. Do you think Sacramento gave the Lakers a tough time out of sheer luck?

I can't remember his name, but the old Princeton coach was an assistant with Sacramento. That man is no fool, so I am sure he taught the Queens valuable lessons on how to play and run a proper team. Hopefully Webber remembers what he learned there.

Minor nitpick, but the Princeton offense run by sactown (Pete Carill (sp) was the assistant btw) is not a version of the tri. Both are motion offenses, but like Gonzaga's Flex or Doug Moe's motion offense in Denver, for example, they are all quite different.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
encina1 wrote:
Pappy wrote:
KobeDunk wrote:

Minor nitpick, but the Princeton offense run by sactown (Pete Carill (sp) was the assistant btw) is not a version of the tri. Both are motion offenses, but like Gonzaga's Flex or Doug Moe's motion offense in Denver, for example, they are all quite different.

Pete Carrill. Thank you.

And no, I did not mean they ran the triangle. From my readings on LG by those who know the game more than I, it seems Sacramento ran some triangle sets.

Sorry if my original post made it seem like they ran the triangle the way these Lakers or the 1990s Bulls used to.
Pappy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:
Pappy wrote:
KobeDunk wrote:

not comparing them as players, its obvious IMO webber "appears' to be the more useful. its more about Phils appraoch to trade deadline aquiitions effecting wether Webber would let that weigh in on his decision. BTW, jimmy jackson also was familiar with a version of the triangle from previous teams.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject:

Big Game James wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:

I completely agree! My point in saying this was to show that McKie has more value to the organization than Shammond does. Thus, Shammond would (in my opinion) be the casualty. But if push comes to shove, then I would shove McKie to make room for Webber.

OH! Ok, got it.
NMLaker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

First off - he didn't lose $5 million IF he is getting paid upfront...what he is losing depends on the NPV of the full value of the contract as paid out over time....if he is getting all $33 million in one check, he gets to invest that money TODAY instead of waiting for it tomorrow.....so he may not be taking that big a hit.

Second - he would drastically improve this team's depth. We'd get something from him every night - as opposed to every 5 nights a-la Brian Cook. He has always been an intuitive passer and would pick up the basics of the triangle quite easily IMHO.

Third - might as well cut McKie and bring him on as a coach....
Laker Lurker
Star Player
Star Player

What was wrong with Webber in Philly? Is he crippled or what? Can he still play 15-20 minutes at a high level like Zo? Whats the scoop and whats the opinion on this in LG. Comparisons must be made relative to Zo not Jackson. Jackson was never an impact player- Webber was an MVP candidate for years at Sac.
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject:

My money is on New Jersey.

1. Webber wants to go somewhere where he feels comfortable in the town (remember complaining about not being able to find good soul food in Sactown?) so that rules out SAS and other shall we say less urban enviroments.

2. Webber wants to go where he can make an impact to raise his value so he can sign a bigger contract next year. NJ needs a low post option with Krstic out. Miami and LA's low post are occupied (Zo and Shaw and Kwame and Bynum) making it harder for him to score. Detroit and NJ are the only 2 team that need him more than he needs them. Flip has enough problems with Sheed. He does not want another locker room problem.

L7
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject:

My fear would be that Webber would end up in either San Antonio or Phoenix.
Gepetto
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject:

since proposing trades seems to be an avocation of everyone here....enjoy my take on how to create a roster spot to get Webber.

Trade Mihm, Shammond and a 2nd (or even 1st) round pick - (Charlotte's have good value) to Seattle for Earl Watson.

Then sign Webber.

1) Gives Seattle a PG to cover Earl's minutes backing up Ridnour + value in the supposedly deep draft coming up.

2) Shores up our ability to stop penetration - a big current weakness.

3) Allows us to sign Webber, giving us better passing in the high post, covers for LO's and Kwame's absence and gives us depth up front for the stretch run and playoffs. How about Bynum & Webber up front in the low & high posts? CW would be nailing that 15-17 footer all game long. Cutters like Kobe, Evans & Smush would feast on the passing out of that front court setup.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject:

Gepetto wrote:
since proposing trades seems to be an avocation of everyone here....enjoy my take on how to create a roster spot to get Webber.

Trade Mihm, Shammond and a 2nd (or even 1st) round pick - (Charlotte's have good value) to Seattle for Earl Watson.

Then sign Webber.

1) Gives Seattle a PG to cover Earl's minutes backing up Ridnour + value in the supposedly deep draft coming up.

2) Shores up our ability to stop penetration - a big current weakness.

3) Allows us to sign Webber, giving us better passing in the high post, covers for LO's and Kwame's absence and gives us depth up front for the stretch run and playoffs. How about Bynum & Webber up front in the low & high posts? CW would be nailing that 15-17 footer all game long. Cutters like Kobe, Evans & Smush would feast on the passing out of that front court setup.

I like it, but Seattle already had Shammond once and let him go. Will they really want him back? Maybe to get out of Watson's contract?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 57, 58, 59  Next
Page 3 of 59
Jump to: