The OFFICIAL Chris Webber Thread (Webber to Detroit)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 57, 58, 59  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject:

The Dagger wrote:
psydesho wrote:
I believe Mihm would be cut.

They will save Mihm for a possible sign-n-trade.

There's no way they cut Mihm. That's just stupid. Mihm has a considerable amount of value even though he's out for this season. He'll play next season and be someone's (if not ours) solid bigman.
moholoka
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:43 am    Post subject: Injury Exception

A few months ago Lakers filed for injury exemption for Mihm injury, can we use to sign CWebb if he is interested?
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Injury Exception

moholoka wrote:
A few months ago Lakers filed for injury exemption for Mihm injury, can we use to sign CWebb if he is interested?

Unfortunately that exemption expired Dec 29, I think. If that is not the right date, so be it. I am pretty sure, though, that is no longer an option.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject:

This from Hoopsworld. It's not a pay for view article, so I thought I could post the whole thing here (it is not long):

Quote:
Reports from Philadelphia last night indicated that Chris Webber and the Philadelphia 76ers have reached terms on a contract buyout.

According to reports, Webber will be cashed out on his remain $38 million, for roughly $33 million – the exact terms of the deal are not clear at this point, but it seems the deal will get league approval in the coming days, and Webber would be waived by the 76ers.

After clearing waiver, Webber would be free to sign with any team he chooses, and word is the Knicks and Lakers have interest in Webber’s services.

EDIT: Adding a link: LINK
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject:

Bring on CWEB!!!!!

Kwame/Bynum
CWeb/Rad/Ronny
Odom/Walton
Kobe/Evans
Smush/Sasha/Farmar

Kwame+Odom+Web = lots of boards
golakersgo121
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject:

I have a feeling that C-Web will be a Laker by the end of this week or early next week. Casualty: Shammu or McKie.

I am not sure whether he'll be able to positively contribute, but none-the-less...
lakersboxershorts
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject:

Anyone can go onto Yahoo Sports pull up CWebbs profile and look at last seasons stats.

CWebb is still a beast.

LINK

Last edited by lakersboxershorts on Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:13 am; edited 2 times in total
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject:

McKie is (from what I hear a key component in the locker room. I can't see the organization cutting him. As for Shammond... I don't know what he brings to the table. To me, he's the obvious choice if we do sign Webber.
coolambo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject:

I'd rather have him if he comes in for the vet minimum rather than suffer seeing Brian Cook out there. We can buy out McKie and then sign Webber for the vet minimum. Unless Mitch can swing a 2 for 1 deal to free up roster space.
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Injury Exception

encina1 wrote:
moholoka wrote:

Unfortunately that exemption expired Dec 29, I think. If that is not the right date, so be it. I am pretty sure, though, that is no longer an option.

Even if it were available, we'd still have to cut someone to make a roster space.

Yo, CWebb would be a good addition if he still has anything left "in the basement."
coolambo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject:

We can probably also try to trade Mihm's expiring for draft picks.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject:

Anyone heard Nas' new CD - Hip Hop is Dead? That track "Blunt Ashes" was produced by CWebb, he is so versatile, lets bring him in!
lakersboxershorts
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject:

AirKobe8 wrote:
Anyone heard Nas' new CD - Hip Hop is Dead? That track "Blunt Ashes" was produced by CWebb, he is so versatile, lets bring him in!

I didnt know that. If true then..
Hogg
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: n/s

Not only is it true, it's a decent beat.
rebirth
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject:

i sure hope we at least talkt to C-WEBB. He would be a great addition to back up Lamar. Not going to get my hopes up, because the Lakers just seem to let opprotunities like this pass. but as far as my two cents goes.... i am very much pro webber. He ias averaging 11 points and 8 boards this year.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject:

Webber is a veteran presence who would help in some areas offensively but I wonder whether he is what the Lakers are looking for right now.

I think the one thing they still want is a veteran guard. I don't think they are looking for another forward considering they have an influx of them in Odom, Walton, Radmanovic, Cook and Evans (who slides over from guard on many nights). If there's one type of forward I want to add it is a more athletic, defensive type that can fill in while LO is out.

Don't see it happening with Chris. Also factor in we would need to cut a guaranteed contract to get him.

Webber might go back to Sacto or most likely go to Miami to play with Shaq.

I wouldn't hate it if we got him though. He's still a better player than any of the forwards we have minus Odom.
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject:

I'm usually one of the first to object to this kind of speculation simply because I think it is futile (although I'm sure it has its rightful place on this board). However, in this case I think C Webb would be a smart move for our organization for a number of reasons.

A. Have always admired his skills
B. The triangle offense can indeed extend careers for certain talented individuals and I think Webber falls nicely into that category
C. It would be a most satisfying slap in the face to Cowtown to see Webber in a Laker uni.
D. I think he could significantly improve our defense in the post especially in light of the fact that our recent injuries have shown we can't be deep enough in that area.

Dare I say it?

DIM (do it Mitch)
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject:

Agree with A, B and C but you lost me on D.

Clearly you haven't watched Chris in Philly. His post D is very weak. It's almost as bad as Brian Cook's.

Think of Webber as Cook with more of a skillset on offense. I wouldn't start Webber but I would think he improves the 2nd unit play of the Lakers considerably.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject:

What's the point? Doesn't the tri call for a lot of running and cutting? Can Webber do that? He's a gimp.
AV
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject:

No offense taken, merge away...
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject:

Now that we are MINUS Kwame, Odom and Mihm we could use a big body ! DO IT !!!! PLEASE! If it doesnt work out let him go in the offseason! its a win win situation for us
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject:

Here's an interesting angle from Webber's point of view. Obviously his agent and him consider it in the best interest of Chris to be bought out. According to reports Chris is likly to lose about $5 million by doing this ($38 million over the next two years... reportedly bought out for $33 million).

Now why would they agree to lose $5 million? My thinking is that they believe they could at least come close to making it up over the next two years. Therefore, I personally think that Webber could be had for a $2.5 million contract. I'm not sure what our situation is, whta the vet minimum is and what kind of a position we are in to offer that, but to me, Webber is worth $2.5 million. Afterall, I believe that's what Aaron McKie is currently making...
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
What's the point? Doesn't the tri call for a lot of running and cutting? Can Webber do that? He's a gimp.

Snaq cutting and running? All I remember was him plodding in the post and demanding the ball. And Webber has a better outside shot than O-Meal does/did.
Wolverine
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject:

Big Game James wrote:
The Dagger wrote:
psydesho wrote:
I believe Mihm would be cut.

They will save Mihm for a possible sign-n-trade.

There's no way they cut Mihm. That's just stupid. Mihm has a considerable amount of value even though he's out for this season. He'll play next season and be someone's (if not ours) solid bigman.

The question is, will we lose our bird rights if we cut him.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject:

Big Game James wrote:
Here's an interesting angle from Webber's point of view. Obviously his agent and him consider it in the best interest of Chris to be bought out. According to reports Chris is likly to lose about $5 million by doing this ($38 million over the next two years... reportedly bought out for $33 million).

Now why would they agree to lose $5 million? My thinking is that they believe they could at least come close to making it up over the next two years. Therefore, I personally think that Webber could be had for a $2.5 million contract. I'm not sure what our situation is, whta the vet minimum is and what kind of a position we are in to offer that, but to me, Webber is worth $2.5 million. Afterall, I believe that's what Aaron McKie is currently making...

But McKie got part of the MLE. We don't have the MLE to spend anymore (the full amount (~$5 million) was used on Vlad Rad). I think the vet minimum is just over $1 million, or maybe as high as $1.5 million.

Factor that into whoever we cut's salary. Say McKie gets cut, his salary plus Webber's new salary will both count against the salary cap, even though McKie would no longer be with the team anymore.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 57, 58, 59  Next
Page 2 of 59
Jump to: