NEVER buy a camera from VIVITAR!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Melon Tea
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: NEVER buy a camera from VIVITAR!

I bought a Vivitar Camera from Office Depot the other day. There was no charger in the package. I called Vivitar and they said that there should have been one. Then they asked me to pay $26.45 (which is a rediculously high price for an A/C adapter) for the A/C Adapter, so I did. They sent me a battery instead. I called them and then they sent me the A/C adapter. I then found out that there were two pieces to the charger and the A/C adapter was only one piece. I called them again, and they asked me to pay $19.95 for the "Smart Charger!" I did. So I paid a combined price of $46.40 for a fu**ing charger. The camera itself costed $200.00. Thanks a lot Vivitar.
F Snaq
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject:

That sucks man. I would report it to the Better Business Bureau or something. I hate when things like these happen. Screw Vivitar.
NBA referees are a detriment to the integrity and essence of the game of basketball. It is our duty, as fans of this sacred game, to eviscerate each and every one of these treacherous maggots, if ever we cross paths with any of them in our lives.
xiuloung
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: NEVER buy a camera from VIVITAR!

Melon Tea wrote:
I bought a Vivitar Camera from Office Depot the other day. There was no charger in the package. I called Vivitar and they said that there should have been one. Then they asked me to pay $26.45 (which is a ridiculously high price for an A/C adapter) for the A/C Adapter, so I did. They sent me a battery instead. I called them and then they sent me the A/C adapter. I then found out that there were two pieces to the charger and the A/C adapter was only one piece. I called them again, and they asked me to pay $19.95 for the "Smart Charger!" I did. So I paid a combined price of $46.40 for a fu**ing charger. The camera itself costed $200.00. Thanks a lot Vivitar.
TheRod
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: NEVER buy a camera from VIVITAR!

Melon Tea wrote:
I bought a Vivitar Camera from Office Depot the other day. There was no charger in the package. I called Vivitar and they said that there should have been one. Then they asked me to pay $26.45 (which is a rediculously high price for an A/C adapter) for the A/C Adapter, so I did. They sent me a battery instead. I called them and then they sent me the A/C adapter. I then found out that there were two pieces to the charger and the A/C adapter was only one piece. I called them again, and they asked me to pay $19.95 for the "Smart Charger!" I did. So I paid a combined price of $46.40 for a fu**ing charger. The camera itself costed $200.00. Thanks a lot Vivitar.

Your first mistake was paying for something you didn't have to pay for. I would have argued with customer service until I got what I needed at VIVITAR's expense. The customer is ALWAYS right.
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject:

No offense but why would you even consider it in the first place?

Canon, Nikon, Leica, Olympus and Hasselblad all make optical instruments far more advanced than any consumer product, such as confocals, telescopes, etc, and they all offer (not Hasselblad) consumer grade products.
Pentax, Sony (now equipped with Minolta's technology) and Fuji have been in the business for a very long time as well and again, they all offer point and shoots.

I mean seriously, why would you buy a Vivitar?
It can't possibly be the price either because surely, you can do better than a Vivitar if you went with something like Canon PowerShot A530 which is a very cheap camera that is capable of taking sharp pictures.

With the plethora of choices available for consumer level cameras, whether it's DSLR or point and shoots, it's seriously hard to go wrong these days.
You could even buy something like Samsung, who has very little history of making optical instruments and even then you'll likely have a decent camera.
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: NEVER buy a camera from VIVITAR!

TheRod wrote:
Melon Tea wrote:

Your first mistake was paying for something you didn't have to pay for. I would have argued with customer service until I got what I needed at VIVITAR's expense. The customer is ALWAYS right.

Or he could have returned it.
If you could return it, GO RETURN IT NOW.

And with 200 dollars, buy something very nice, like a Canon PowerShot A620 which must be dirt cheap now days.
Or invest a little more in an entry level DSLR, which will bring you FAR GREATER picture quality as well as a future hobby.
xiuloung
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject:

shnjb wrote:

Canon, Nikon, Leica, Olympus and Hasselblad all make optical instruments far more advanced than any consumer product, such as confocals, telescopes, etc, and they all offer (not Hasselblad) consumer grade products.
Pentax, Sony (now equipped with Minolta's technology) and Fuji have been in the business for a very long time as well and again, they all offer point and shoots.

It can't possibly be the price either because surely, you can do better than a Vivitar if you went with something like Canon PowerShot A530 which is a very cheap camera that is capable of taking sharp pictures.

With the plethora of choices available for consumer level cameras, whether it's DSLR or point and shoots, it's seriously hard to go wrong these days.
You could even buy something like Samsung, who has very little history of making optical instruments and even then you'll likely have a decent camera.
(I'm Melon Tea BTW) I'm not SUPER RICH like you guys. I bought the cheapest camera I can find that has decent picture quality. They had a limited selection of cameras at Office Depot so I just bought the Vivitar camera.
xiuloung
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: NEVER buy a camera from VIVITAR!

shnjb wrote:
TheRod wrote:
Melon Tea wrote:

Or he could have returned it.
If you could return it, GO RETURN IT NOW.

And with 200 dollars, buy something very nice, like a Canon PowerShot A620 which must be dirt cheap now days.
Or invest a little more in an entry level DSLR, which will bring you FAR GREATER picture quality as well as a future hobby.
Took off the plastic already. They don't let you return it if you take the plastic off.
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject:

xiuloung wrote:
shnjb wrote:

(I'm Melon Tea BTW) I'm not SUPER RICH like you guys. I bought the cheapest camera I can find that has decent picture quality. They had a limited selection of cameras at Office Depot so I just bought the Vivitar camera.

Canon A530

I guarantee you, that this camera, which can be had for around 150, is a lot better than anything made by Vivtar.
xiuloung
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject:

shnjb wrote:
xiuloung wrote:
shnjb wrote:

Canon A530

I guarantee you, that this camera, which can be had for around 150, is a lot better than anything made by Vivtar.
They didn't have that camera. The Vivitar camera was the cheapest one there so I bought it.
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject:

xiuloung wrote:
shnjb wrote:
xiuloung wrote:
shnjb wrote:

Canon A530

They didn't have that camera. The Vivitar camera was the cheapest one there so I bought it.

That's why you have to shop around.
Melon Tea
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject:

UPDATE-

Ok so when they sent me the battery instead of the charger, I called them and they sent me the charger.
Then, I found out that I needed to buy a "Smart Charger" so I ordered one.
They sent me an AC ADAPTER INSTEAD!
I called them and they sent me the Smart Charger.

I basically now have:

2 Batteries
2 AC Adapters
1 Smart Charger

For $46.44. At least now they won't be making as much profit as they would have if they got it right.
TheRod
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject:

Melon Tea wrote:
UPDATE-

Ok so when they sent me the battery instead of the charger, I called them and they sent me the charger.
Then, I found out that I needed to buy a "Smart Charger" so I ordered one.
They sent me an AC ADAPTER INSTEAD!
I called them and they sent me the Smart Charger.

I basically now have:

2 Batteries
2 AC Adapters
1 Smart Charger

For $46.44. At least now they won't be making as much profit as they would have if they got it right.

Payback's a mother.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: