Lakers interested in Penny Hardaway?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
limchrc
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:02 am    Post subject:

Lakerfan 4 Life wrote:
Better sign him before Jan. 15. Kobe & Penny Vs. Shaq Main Event!

ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:09 am    Post subject:

Didn't he sign with Seattle already?
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:32 am    Post subject:

What about Aaron McKie?
bill_bridges
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:55 am    Post subject:

No. Mitch's MO is to wait until the off-season and sign Penny for the MLE for 2 years.
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject:

kontrast wrote:
Quote:
If we are going to cut a man and replace him, it should be for a big man, not a guard.

What?!? What Laker big man would you cut??? Keep in mind we are talking CUT here!!!

I think if you look now there is not ONE front court player that is even close be being a candidate to CUT!!!

With that said... If I'm cutting anyone (which is a long shot in itself)... it would appear that the guard ranks on the roster have the more likely players to considered.

Keeping in mind Mckie's value as an ending contract, the first player I'd cut on the Laker team would be Shammond.

Guess what he is a guard (not a forward).

Hmmm, sounds like a slot for Penny.

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Quote:
Terry_Teagle wrote:
Quote:
It would be nice to see the Lakers actually make a move to try to improve the roster. I would have no problem with signing him to a 10 day. Bringing him aboard could only help up us. At least we wouldn't have to give anybody significant away, just a scrub.

And what "scrub" would that be?

If the Lakers cut McKie, they'll still have to pay him the better part of 2 million.

If they cut Sasha, they'll have to pay him for next year, too, since his deal is guaranteed.

They could cut Shammond - they'd only owe him 1.2 million or so, since his deal is guaranteed.

The Lakers are not going to flush a million or more bucks down the tube to experiment with Penny for 10 days. If they had some non-guaranteed deals to cut before the January 10th deadline, it'd be different, but they don't.

I would agree with you, I just don't see Buss eating over a million.

But...

You have to admit, Penny would be an upgrade over Shammond and would certainly fit into the Triangle as well.

There is one way to look at that 1.2 million, about .5 of that has now been used up this year (with about "0" to show for it on the court).

Then if you consider looking forward with the probable outcome of getting "0" back for the remainder of Shammond's contract this year it makes considering Penny more interesting.

So looking at it from this angle it is costing the Lakers less than a million, about $700,000 which is probably not going to be much return anyway, would seem to be something that might be tempting for the Lakers.

Even more importantly it's not like Shammond knows the Triangle, so I'd be for taking the plung myself assuming Penny were to sign for a reasonable amount.

Fact is that as far as what should be attractive to Penny is concerned, I'd think that he would be much more willing to take less to play on the Lakers with a shot at the title either this year or the next as opposed to having no shot at all on Seattle.

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject:

Only desperate teams are gonna sign a Penny Hardaway.

We're not desperate.

The guy is done and has been for YEARS.
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject:

^ probably only desperate teams would sign Mckie or Shammond. It really doesn't come down to whether the Lakers are desperate or not as it is clear they are not.

It is more a question would Penny help more than Shammond if it came down to needing either player?

But I would agree the fact that either player is likely not going to get minutes anyway it is not a big issue.

Given this fact however, I'd rather have Penny at the end of the bench than Shammond definitely.

1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject:

whether you call that old 12th man on the bench penny or mckie makes little impact on how the lakers will do this season.
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject:

^ As I said as well, probably so...

But you never know what might happen and as I also said I'd rather have Penny if needed than Shammond.

It is a matter of which player would impact games more if just incase of injuries or foul situations from time to time in tight games that player is needed.

Last edited by LA_Lakers_Rule on Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Laker-Ryoku
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject:

LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
kontrast wrote:
Quote:
If we are going to cut a man and replace him, it should be for a big man, not a guard.

What?!? What Laker big man would you cut??? Keep in mind we are talking CUT here!!!

I think if you look now there is not ONE front court player that is even close be being a candidate to CUT!!!

With that said... If I'm cutting anyone (which is a long shot in itself)... it would appear that the guard ranks on the roster have the more likely players to considered.

Keeping in mind Mckie's value as an ending contract, the first player I'd cut on the Laker team would be Shammond.

Guess what he is a guard (not a forward).

Hmmm, sounds like a slot for Penny.

uhh... i believe he said "it should be FOR a big man"
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject:

^ Sorry, your right I misunderstood, but I still say I think our depth in the front court is pretty substantial. We really could use a defensive back court player, imo.

1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject:

LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:

But you never know what might happen and as I also said I'd rather have Penny if needed than Shammond.

It is a matter of which player would impact games more if just incase of injuries or foul situations from time to time in tight games that player is needed.

i like your style. working for a financial company, i know valuable it is to scratch and claw for the last basis point. in most cases though, the story usually is that it probably isn't worth the effort as really that basis point is a drop in the proverbial bucket.

in this case, i dont think mitch incurs the cost of a million or two in cutting a guaranteed contract to get a 10th or 11th man on the bench. while the lakers may be marginally better, the franchise is also a business, and even if mitch believed that penny would be an upgrade over williams or mckie, he would be hard pressed to convince buss to spend a couple of million dollars cutting and signing pine riders.
lamarvelousodom
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:

We're not desperate.

so the workout that impressed all in attendance didnt impress you? oh, you werent there
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject:

1hu2ren3dui4 wrote:
LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:

i like your style. working for a financial company, i know valuable it is to scratch and claw for the last basis point. in most cases though, the story usually is that it probably isn't worth the effort as really that basis point is a drop in the proverbial bucket.

in this case, i dont think mitch incurs the cost of a million or two in cutting a guaranteed contract to get a 10th or 11th man on the bench. while the lakers may be marginally better, the franchise is also a business, and even if mitch believed that penny would be an upgrade over williams or mckie, he would be hard pressed to convince buss to spend a couple of million dollars cutting and signing pine riders.

And that's what Penny would be -- a pine rider, and an unhappy one at that.

I just don't understand the continued fascination with Penny. It's been a long time since he's been of any use to anyone.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject:

lamarvelousodom wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:

We're not desperate.

so the workout that impressed all in attendance didnt impress you? oh, you werent there

Wait a minute!!!

What team does Penny play for??

Yeah, right....he doesn't have a team.

Maybe before you take every rumor and run with it, here's an obvious question:

Since Penny had such a magnificent workout :roll: , why doesn't he have a job?? The Lakers can't be the only team he's worked out for. In fact, I know it's not. The guy has been trying to find work since the day Orlando traded back for him and CUT him before he could even darken their doorstep. That was almost a year ago.
Mailman04
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject:

It would be a real shame to sign someone who might could play and get rid of McKie, who they know can't play. Every signing doesn't have to be a superstar. The biggest difference in Lakers this year as opposed to other years is depth and McKie is worthless so why not give Penny a shot. If he does nothing he will be equal to McKie
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject:

Mailman04 wrote:
It would be a real shame to sign someone who might could play and get rid of McKie, who they know can't play. Every signing doesn't have to be a superstar. The biggest difference in Lakers this year as opposed to other years is depth and McKie is worthless so why not give Penny a shot. If he does nothing he will be equal to McKie

My point is, what reason do you have to think Penny will do anything?? When's the last time he's done anything? The guy is 35 years old. Making change for change's sake doesn't make sense.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject:

Sign him and cut Vujacic

Penny will drain the same shots Vujacic bricks, I don't care if he is on one leg and pushing 40
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject:

If Sasha was to get cut today, Farmar and Mo would absorb his minutes.

So there still isn't a reason to sign Penny.
vvbandit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject:

I hope we do pick up Penny, Mckie needs somebody to talk to on the bench b/c there is now way he gets any meaningful minutes.
TLT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject:

Yes...Sign EVERY player whose name is mentioned anytime or anywhere. Especially if they are old and injury prone. Wait, I was only kidding....We did that with McKie and Vlade.
golakersgo121
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject:

This is fresh from the wire:

"In order to satisfy request from their superstar center, Miami Heat has signed his long time friend and teammate Penny Hardaway for remainder of the season. Working out together will help Shaq to get under instilled by the team "body fat" limit and escape suspension that is coming"...

Needless to say, I am kidding
2The4th
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject:

Shammond = 0 points = 1,750,000 in the drain

Gone!!! Never return again!!!
It's not like you let him sit on the bench the money will come back.
PP should face it. The money will not come back again.

Meanwhile, Lakers still need a veteran presence.

Penny for minimum is a cheap investment.

I can personally gurentee he will score more than 6 points (Shammond's production now in entire season).
ACGreen'svcard
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject:

overrated vagina
Get tough players. Attack the rim. Get an atheltic physical big. Get highly intuitive players. Get players that understand help defense. Draft Lonzo Ball. Move Dangelo to the two or trade him or have him come off the bench like ginoboli or harden '11.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: