Gerald Ford Has Died

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerFanAlways
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Gerald Ford Has Died

Former President(and longest living president) Gerald Ford has passed away.
RIP
http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/12/26/ford.dead.ap/index.html
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Tony Montana
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject:

I am so bummed.

He was #1 on my 2007 Dead Pool list.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject:

Tony Montana wrote:
I am so bummed.

com'on now...
TheRod
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject:

Tony Montana wrote:
I am so bummed.

Come on Tony...you're better than that.

Pour out some liquor to my homie Gerry Ford.
LakersSpirit
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:36 am    Post subject:

I guess it's safe, to go onto the golf course again... :roll:

God Bless, Gerald Ford...RIP.

I may not have liked, certain things[leave us not get too political], but, at least,...that's it, the least, turned out to be the best[you figure that one out] ...
RJBaca
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject:

remembered for his clumsiness and goofs, President Ford was our most athletic president, with credentials sports fans should awe:

Ford and Michigan Football
Tony Montana
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject:

TheRod wrote:
Tony Montana wrote:
I am so bummed.

Hey, my Dead Pool has a grand prize of over 2K, so when my top pick goes five days before the start of the derby, it's like having a starter go down in the preseason with an ACL...
TheRod
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject:

Tony Montana wrote:
TheRod wrote:
Tony Montana wrote:
I am so bummed.

Hey, my Dead Pool has a grand prize of over 2K, so when my top pick goes five days before the start of the derby, it's like having a starter go down in the preseason with an ACL...

unggoy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject:

During a 1934 game against the University of Chicago, Ford became the only future U.S. president to tackle a future Heisman Trophy winner when he brought down halfback Jay Berwanger, who won the first Heisman the following year.

That's cool. For perspective, I'd like to see George Bush attempt to tackle Reggie Bush in the open field.

Also, that link that Baca provided made me realize that the only time I found Chevy Chase remotely funny was when he was falling off of ladders in his Ford skits.
Kdawg8
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject:

First Bo and now President Ford, another great Michigan Man has passed this year. My condolences to the Ford Family.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject:

I wonder if he died by falling down the stairs?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject:

RIP President Ford. Condolances to Betty and the rest of your family.

Politics aside he was a decent and loving man. Politics afront he tried to do the right thing. Not many do better in life.
Alpha

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject:

^well said Phil.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject:

i had to post this because it was the first thing i thought of when i heard ford died and because it's insanely funny.

enoy.

Gerald Ford Dead Today
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject:

Ford came to the presidency at a troubled time in the history for the nation. It was a kind of no-win situation. He chose to pardon Richard Nixon, which he felt was necessary for the country to move on. That decision likely cost him a shot at another term, but most now believe it was the right move to begin healing. He was a man known for his integrity. It's another big loss for Michigan. My thoughts and prayers for his family and friends who have suffered a great loss.
JIFISH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject:

My fondest memory of Gerald Ford was the first time he went on tv after becoming president and said, "I'm a Ford, not a Lincoln." One of the clevererst lines of self-deprecation ever delivered. I didn't agree with everything he did, but he was definitely a decent guy.
Lakers_2000
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject:

Ford was the President when I was born so I have no first-hand memory of him. From everything I can gather he always maintained his integrity, something that's not easy to do as a Congressman, VP, and President. He won't go down as one of our better Presidents, but it says something about him that he was much better than his predecessor and successor, and he did put Watergate and Vietnam behind us.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject:

President Ford's body has gone to a place near his final resting place in Michigan. Some ask why former Presidents get so much attention. The answer is quite simple, Presidents of the United States affect many lives by their decisions. Funerals and memorials are for the people still alive, who choose to honor the memory of the President. Presidents have an opportunity to touch many lives. It is good that someone who made the right decision with courage, knowing his decision likely cost him a re-election, is honored. It's a good message to do the right thing in any circumstances. The school children, who are noticing all of the TV coverage, know something about this President. Some will aspire to a legacy of greatness, through the example they see. A memorial sends a clear message, unhampered by most partisan politics, because it is in poor taste to bash someone at their funeral. The dead have no means of defending themselves, nor should they have to do so. Their accomplishments can stand on merit alone. The end of physical existence brings with it forgiveness of the past, and an opportunity to honor the positives.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject:

angel wrote:
Ford came to the presidency at a troubled time in the history for the nation. It was a kind of no-win situation. He chose to pardon Richard Nixon, which he felt was necessary for the country to move on. That decision likely cost him a shot at another term, but most now believe it was the right move to begin healing. He was a man known for his integrity. It's another big loss for Michigan. My thoughts and prayers for his family and friends who have suffered a great loss.

Quote:
But the tapes, documents and two lengthy recent interviews with Ford before his death this week, conducted for a future book and embargoed until after his death, show that the close political alliance between the two men seriously influenced Ford's eventual decision to pardon Nixon, the most momentous decision of his short presidency and almost certainly the one that cost him any chance of winning the White House in his own right two years later. Ford became president on Aug. 9, 1974; he pardoned Nixon just a month later. "I think that Nixon felt I was about the only person he could really trust on the Hill," Ford said during the 2005 interview.

Ford returned the feeling.

"I looked upon him as my personal friend. And I always treasured our relationship. And I had no hesitancy about granting the pardon, because I felt that we had this relationship and that I didn't want to see my real friend have the stigma," Ford said in the interview.

That acknowledgment represents a significant shift from Ford's previous portrayals of the pardon that absolved Nixon of any Watergate-related crimes. In earlier statements, Ford had emphasized the decision as an effort to move the country beyond the partisan divisions of the Watergate era, playing down the personal dimension.

2005 Gerald Ford interview notes

Not that I am trying to start a fight with you, angel, but this has come out in the last few days indicating Ford had ulterior motives for pardoning Nixon. While it was touted as a move to help the country move on post-Watergate, it turns out to be a more personal decision than previously thought.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: