OT: Greg Oden VERSUS Joakim Noah/Al Horford right now on CBS.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject:

Both players are about the same age. Are you suggesting that Oden can hold his own against Mutombo and Howard?
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject:

Oden can hold his own against Mutombo and Howard. He, unlike Bynum, plays defense and focuses on the small things first. Slow Bynum's O down, and he has trouble making an impact on the game.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject:

Recently against Wisconsin, Oden had a 10/7 game. The Badgers at least have a couple of center in the 6'11 range. Oden also had a 7/6 game against Florida. They have a couple of skinny guys who are at least 6'10". These guys he's facing in college aren't as good Mutombo or Howard.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject:

I didn't watch the game very closely but great performance by Oden. Hopefully we'll see more consistency from now on.

Not sure why people have to bring Bynum into the conversation since they're playing against totally different competition levels.

So far this year, Bynum's put up 18 and 9 on Kurt Thomas, 20 and 14 on Mark Blount, 12 and 13 on Ben Wallace, 19 and 11 on Marcus Camby, and 11 and 11 against Mutombo. All except Mark Blount are known as solid defenders and good rebounders.

Both Bynum and Oden have had bad games and good games. But there's no need to knock Bynum to build up Oden.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject:

LakersMD wrote:
I didn't watch the game very closely but great performance by Oden. Hopefully we'll see more consistency from now on.

5 points, 6 boards, 0 assists, 5 blocks against Northwestern. So much for consistency.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject:

29 and 10, against Iowa. That's more like it!
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject:

Durant surpasses Oden on DraftExpress's mock draft.

http://draftexpress.com/blogs.php?blogid=3
ProjectAB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject:

Big mistake, IMO. You have to be able to dribble to be a superstar, and Kevin Durant hasn't shown it. He's scoring a lot of points on jumpshots over smaller defenders. He won't get that in the NBA.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject:

Durant has shown more than enough ball-handling as a 6'9"+ player.

With that jumpshot opening up driving lanes for him?
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject:

Funny how in this thread Bynum's shotblocking and rebounding is made out to be weak when that is actually his strongest aspect this last month. That long arms, timing and soft touch on the blocks should Drew right up there with any of the elite shotblockers in college. Just watch how quickly he got over to block Arenas last night. Oden has 6-7 block games in the NCAA. Bynum is having 6-7 block games in the NBA.

Oden is super talented though. He would be a good Center in the NBA right now. Atleast 10/10/2 IMO. In a year or two, maybe very good - Dwight Howard's level with more shotblocking and maybe less power. Durant is closer to his upside .. could potentially be like Anthony right away coming out of college.

I still think it would be a big mistake taking Durant over Oden. Oden's upside is just waaay too good to pass up on. Dominant 2-way player.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject:

Bynum still doesn't box-out consistently. That was always the argument. That defensively, he's not always there.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Oden's upside is just waaay too good to pass up on. Dominant 2-way player.

Dominant defensive player, maybe.

Dominant offensive player? I don't think so, I will give him a pass with the bad hand, but right now he looks like he has a long, long way to go offensively to be an offensive force in the NBA.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject:

Oden looks horrible offensively. But I think that has more to do with having 4 guys on the court that have no clue how to get him the ball.

As my brother and I were talking last week, he asked me about some of Ohio's guards, such as Mike Conley Jr. and Daquan Cook.

Paraphrasing, my brother asked specifically, "What do you think of Mike Conley Jr's handle? And does Cook have a good enough handle for the Triangle?"

To which I retorted, "Only thing I know about them is they're 2 of the 4 guys on the court that DON'T pass the ball to Oden."

Simple as that. Gotta get the ball before you can score it, and Oden just doesn't get the ball.
ProjectAB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject:

Oden's problem offensively is the same as Bynum's, he can't back his man down. If you put anyone over 6'10 and with a bit of strength on him, he loses his balance, trying to back them down.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject:

I agree that Oden is hardly dominant offensively but like Drew he is 19 and can learn alot. More importantly I don't see any big weakness in his game that would lead me to believe that he'll not develop an O game if he puts in the work.

Hands? Yeah he has them. He is no Kwame.
Finishing ability? Yeah, he has less touch than Drew but goes up with more authority.

He's a very good garbage man scorer already. However I wonder about his touch. He may not develop the same footwork and touch around the basket that Bynum will.

Still .. it's all up to him. He works hard .. dominant 2-way player IMO. 20/12/3.

Will definitely average 15/12/3.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
The Buss
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
I agree that Oden is hardly dominant offensively but like Drew he is 19 and can learn alot. More importantly I don't see any big weakness in his game that would lead me to believe that he'll not develop an O game if he puts in the work.

Finishing ability? Yeah, he has less touch than Drew but goes up with more authority.

He's a very good garbage man scorer already. However I wonder about his touch. He may not develop the same footwork and touch around the basket that Bynum will.

Still .. it's all up to him. He works hard .. dominant 2-way player IMO. 20/12/3.

What a luxury to have. Can you imagine knowing that as long as you worked half as hard as the guy next to you that you will at least be an All-star?
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:15 am    Post subject:

The Buss wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

What a luxury to have. Can you imagine knowing that as long as you worked half as hard as the guy next to you that you will at least be an All-star?

That's the freakish athleticism. Bynum will have to work his ass off to get to 20/12/3.

Oden may very well be able to half-ass it and get those very same numbers, so long as he has players give him the ball enough times.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:45 am    Post subject:

Quote:
He may not develop the same footwork and touch around the basket that Bynum will.

And that's what kills me. As of Bynum really had "great footwork" out of HS, regardless of age.

Oden doesn't complicate his moves much. DropStep. Jumphook. Either way it's a power finish.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject:

Actually Mike, from what I recall .. the reason the Lakers were so high on Drew in the draft despite his weight and other drawbacks (least experienced player ever) is that they were big fans of his footwork and soft touch.

Bynum was never a dunker or a strong finisher even in highchool. He would rely mostly on his length and size advantage over guys 3-4 inches shorter than him. It is why he has no problem against the Suns, Nuggets and other small ball teams while Howard and even Yao have had issues against them.

He was raw but definitely had the touch and loved to move his feet to help him create inside. I am sure I read a number of articles at the time about that.

Ofcourse Kareem has helped him alot, but moreso with his hook and how to get his shot off from the upperbody. How to counter etc. The touch, hands and footwork were in progress since highschool .. even if they were still in the early stages.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject:

wolf, none of that real footwork was displayed in the first SPL.

That was precisely why I was so conservative when it came to him.

Hell, the majority of this transformed Bynum was really after the 2nd SPL into the preseason.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
The Buss
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
wolf, none of that real footwork was displayed in the first SPL.

That was precisely why I was so conservative when it came to him.

Hell, the majority of this transformed Bynum was really after the 2nd SPL into the preseason.

I was about to say the same thing. I remember Bynum's footwork being more of a weakness than a strength his rookie year. His footwork is still pretty questionable even today. He still gets a lot of traveling calls and at some points just looks confused as to how to move his feet. This isn't really a problem though considering footwork is one of those things that comes with experience more than anything and experinence is something that Bynum doesn't have much of considering he's only 19.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
Paraphrasing, my brother asked specifically, "What do you think of Mike Conley Jr's handle? And does Cook have a good enough handle for the Triangle?"

To which I retorted, "Only thing I know about them is they're 2 of the 4 guys on the court that DON'T pass the ball to Oden."

Conley Jr is one of the best passers in the nation.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject:

Is anybody else shocked that Durant averages 2 more rebounds per game than Oden?
C-BUS LAKERFAN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject:

LakersMD wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:

Conley is, but the rest of the OSU guards are not. Jamar Butler is short for a 2 guard and has trouble getting Oden the ball. He has struggled going from a PG to a SG.

Harris and Lewis both love to gun the 3. There are times when I'm screaming at the top of my lungs for them to pass him the ball. He will have perfect post postion, and one of them will gun a 3. Drives me nuts.

I really wish Oden stays 2 years. Give him a full year with out the cast on his right hand, and to get rid of some of the Jim O'Brien players. OSU has a top 5 class coming in next year to EASILY replace what they are losing this year.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject:

LakersMD wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:

Oh. Never said he wasn't talented. Just said he's not passing the ball to Oden.

As the PG, he needs to make a point to keep getting the ball to Oden.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11
Jump to: