I just saw pursuit of happyness
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject: I just saw pursuit of happyness

This movie is so good that it made me pick up the phone and call my dad just to say that i love him and I appreciate everything he has done for me.

good holiday movie
msb212
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:37 am    Post subject:

good performance from Wll, but the movie is relentlessly slow and depressing. wanted to love it, really. didn't happen for me.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject:

we need like a rating system here... i.e. 5 stars highest; no stars lowest
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject:

i havent been able to watch smith since after the bad boys stuff...

he sucked hard on those
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject:

what a chore this movie was.

endlessly depressing. so much superfluous material it's not even funny. the movie is all one note...and every scene plays the same.

will smith's character enduring tragedy and hardship is integral to the story of the film but not to that extent. not since the passion of the christ have i felt more like a victim in a movie theatre...with the filmmaker beating me over the head with their message. you could have told this story in one hour...not two and a half.

another thing...we hear throughout the movie that smith's character is a very smart guy (despite investing in dopey machines nobody wants and refusing to pay his taxes) and that he's a dynamo at work. why don't we ever see him at work? we never see the guy in action and him becoming a successful stock broker is integral to the story, no? the only scene in which we see gardner wheel and deal.....the buyer doesn't buy from him.

the film has no balance...it is strictly depression depression depression depression depression...and a 5 minute happy ending. the filmmaker and screenwriter are more interested in peeling onions in front of your face trying to get you to cry instead of giving the characters any depth, or anything to do other than suffer. even gardner's wife is a one dimensional snarling beast of a woman.

smith's son is given nothing to do in this film...his job is to stand around and act cute. i guess the filmmaker/screenwriter thought that it was more important that he be cute than actually be a character with multiple dimensions. will smith gives a fine performance but hardly award-worthy.

this is not the feel-good film that the studio is billing it as. i can't reccomend it at all.
Mr. LakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

endlessly depressing. so much superfluous material it's not even funny. the movie is all one note...and every scene plays the same.

will smith's character enduring tragedy and hardship is integral to the story of the film but not to that extent. not since the passion of the christ have i felt more like a victim in a movie theatre...with the filmmaker beating me over the head with their message. you could have told this story in one hour...not two and a half.

another thing...we hear throughout the movie that smith's character is a very smart guy (despite investing in dopey machines nobody wants and refusing to pay his taxes) and that he's a dynamo at work. why don't we ever see him at work? we never see the guy in action and him becoming a successful stock broker is integral to the story, no? the only scene in which we see gardner wheel and deal.....the buyer doesn't buy from him.

the film has no balance...it is strictly depression depression depression depression depression...and a 5 minute happy ending. the filmmaker and screenwriter are more interested in peeling onions in front of your face trying to get you to cry instead of giving the characters any depth, or anything to do other than suffer. even gardner's wife is a one dimensional snarling beast of a woman.

smith's son is given nothing to do in this film...his job is to stand around and act cute. i guess the filmmaker/screenwriter thought that it was more important that he be cute than actually be a character with multiple dimensions. will smith gives a fine performance but hardly award-worthy.

this is not the feel-good film that the studio is billing it as. i can't reccomend it at all.

It seems like you hate every movie just enjoy it :roll:

The next meeting: 52 points 19-26 shooting.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject:

Mr. LakeShow wrote:
ocho wrote:

It seems like you hate every movie just enjoy it :roll:

i love movies and see at least one a week. there have been some great ones this year....it's just that this wasn't one of them. did you see pursuit of happyness?
Mr. LakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
i love movies and see at least one a week. there have been some great ones this year....it's just that this wasn't one of them. did you see pursuit of happyness?

Pursuit of happyness is a movie based on how you feel about it, not how you see it. you're blowing this whole thing up for no reason. its a movie were people won't enjoy it but understand what life is about.

ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject:

Mr. LakeShow wrote:
ocho wrote:

Pursuit of happyness is a movie based on how you feel about it, not how you see it. you're blowing this whole thing up for no reason. its a movie were people won't enjoy it but understand what life is about.

that doesn't make any sense. it's a movie like any other and it's open to analysis and interpretation just like anything else. it's poorly constructed for the reasons i listed above. i'm not "blowing this whole thing up for no reason". i'm analyzing the film and explaining why i didn't like it. all you've done is told me i shouldn't have an opinion on it and even suggested that i should "just enjoy it" rather than actually decide for myself whether it is enjoyable or not. there's many things you can call this movie...enjoyable is not one of them. not a movie this depressing.

don't give the movie a pass just because its a true story. a movie isn't great because of its message...it's great because it executes the message in an artistic or sincere way. in a movie like this where you know what happens before you see it...the journey to get to that conclusion must be worth watching. not the same tragic mood carried out scene after scene after scene. you could cut an hour of depression out of this movie and nobody would notice.
Mr. LakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject:

You have a hard time understanding what the movie is really about, you're analyzing this whole thing for what you see not how you feel. no offense but i disagree with you're movie knowledge. 2 thumbs down.

ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject:

Mr. LakeShow wrote:
You have a hard time understanding what the movie is really about, you're analyzing this whole thing for what you see not how you feel. no offense but i disagree with you're movie knowledge. 2 thumbs down.

i've seen a lot of dismissal and insults but ZERO analysis. zero explanation. did you just want to like it that bad?

i understand what the movie is about. i don't think its good about being about that. i've explained why. give it a shot.
Mr. LakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
i've seen a lot of dismissal and insults but ZERO analysis. zero explanation. did you just want to like it that bad?

i understand what the movie is about. i don't think its good about being about that. i've explained why. give it a shot.

My personal analysis is, you can't understand this movie if you don't understand life you hate it because of reasons that i can't understand. this movie is not about liking it its about understanding it.

ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject:

Mr. LakeShow wrote:
ocho wrote:

My personal analysis is, you can't understand this movie if you don't understand life you hate it because of reasons that i can't understand. this movie is not about liking it its about understanding it.

so you like the movie because of its message. sounds like you decided you liked it before you saw it and don't even wish to judge the actual film....you like the message and none of its flaws matter..simply because it's positive about life.

this movie isn't breaking new ground friend. the themes of following your dreams, persevering through troubled times, being a good father etc.. have all been done before and better. these themes aren't any different from those that you'd see in many of the disney cartoons of the past few decades. my dislike of the movie has nothing to do with not understanding it or not understanding life. it has to do with the fact that it is poorly written, directed and edited. i judge a movie on more than just what they were trying to get across. i think it sad you made up your mind about the movie before you actually saw it...and defend it on nothing but message alone.

"a movie that's not about liking"...thats a new one.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject:

I have to agree with ocho on this one. I saw Crash, and it won awards, and some other movies that were supposed to be great, but I hated them. Crash was so heavy-handed, it bored me.

Anyways, I came on here to ask one thing....is there a reason why it is titled "Happyness"? Didn't anyone use spell check?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:
I have to agree with ocho on this one. I saw Crash, and it won awards, and some other movies that were supposed to be great, but I hated them. Crash was so heavy-handed, it bored me.

Anyways, I came on here to ask one thing....is there a reason why it is titled "Happyness"? Didn't anyone use spell check?

...not to mention 'crash' is full of racial charichatures. heavy handed to say the least....one of the worst oscar winners for best picture ever. shame it won that award the same year great movies like 'good night and good luck', 'hustle&flow', 'walk the line', and 'a history of violence' were out. just shows you how those awards reflect the buzz/hype of the time rather than truly awarding the best film.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject:

Gladiator....A Bronx Tale...Crash....Tombstone. Just a few movies that got lots of hype that I hated when I saw them.

Crash won the award because of its supposed message, not because of its film making qualities. Its story was weak as well.

Two questions, why "happyness' and not "happiness"?

And LALakers999....what the hell is your avatar? What is she humping there?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:
Gladiator....A Bronx Tale...Crash....Tombstone. Just a few movies that got lots of hype that I hated when I saw them.

Crash won the award because of its supposed message, not because of its film making qualities. Its story was weak as well.

Two questions, why "happyness' and not "happiness"?

And LALakers999....what the hell is your avatar? What is she humping there?

"happyness" was mispelled on the wall of the daycare center smith takes his son to every day i don't remember them referencing it again after that but after doing a little poking around on the rottentomatoes message boards i found this:

jamboree1 wrote:
It's intentional of course! When Will Smith visited his son's school and noticed the wrong spelling of "Pursuit of Happyness" in the Declaration of Independence poster made by the kids, he immediately told the teacher. The teacher responded - the most important thing is the real happiness students feel while creating the poster, never mind the spelling. And that inspired Will Smith's to pursue happiness.

what i found really funny was this response to that post:

kiko wrote:
First, that is a cute.

Now for the reality, that teacher whoever she is should be fired. What kind of lame excuse is that. You correct mistakes and don't make excuses for them, especially in SCHOOL. So when the kid is failing and is behind a few grades this lame teacher will say "The most important thing is the real happiness students feel when he is with his 2nd grade peers, never mind that they should be in the 4th grade."

Please, no wonder America is failing in the education department.

Mr. LakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject:

How can anyone hate Gladiator?

ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject:

Mr. LakeShow wrote:
How can anyone hate Gladiator?

gladiator is a good movie but by no means any sort of a "best picture" caliber film.

looking back at the year it won....it benifitted from a weak year...although i would say that "traffic", "crouching tiger hidden dragon", "requiem for a dream", "almost famous", "american psycho", "the contender", "high fidelity", and "unbreakable" were all better films.
LakerFanAlways
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject:

I saw it and thought it was an awesome movie..depressing but ended happily..I recommend it to everyone..Will definitely deserves an Oscar nomination for that performance
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject:

LakerFanAlways wrote:
I saw it and thought it was an awesome movie..depressing but ended happily..I recommend it to everyone..Will definitely deserves an Oscar nomination for that performance

he'll get a nomination...but leonardo dicaprio has already given TWO performances that outlcass smith's this year.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject:

I loved it. But I have "issues" of depression. So, yeah. Of course I could relate.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
SoCal88
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject:

I saw it over the weekend, and there were scenes that left me to say to myself, "I get it, he's fallen on bad times....oh crap, another bad situation....damn, he just got ran over....Okay, okay.....I get the message!"

Then ended abruptly...the end...

Sorry to those who haven't seen it....

Otherwise, good....
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
what a chore this movie was...

...it is strictly depression depression depression depression depression...and a 5 minute happy ending. the filmmaker and screenwriter are more interested in peeling onions in front of your face trying to get you to cry instead of giving the characters any depth, or anything to do other than suffer...

That's pretty much how I felt about Babel...except eventually it became absurd beyond belief to the point that I didn't care what happened to anyone in the film and just wanted my two hours back. I'm sure this one wasn't that bad.

I was thinking of seeing The Pursuit of Happyness this week, but maybe I will check out The Good Shepard instead.
Mr. LakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject:

Ocho, whats you're favorite movie of all time?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: