LAKERS -at- ROCKETS - 12/12 - Thoughts and :-)) ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hiline
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject:

TooCool wrote:
Good enjoyable game tonight... until the 4th quarter. The meltdown is absolutely ridiculous.

I always loved Stu, but I actually got annoyed when he kept mentioning "Mr. Mo..." lol

I guess i wasn't the only person annoyed with that "Mr. Mo" crap. Stu, enough already.
KOBEhastheMAGIC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
RYZ wrote:

Tell the truth: When (in the fourth quarter) did you start yelling at Phil to do something?

I don't know. I guess I'm pretty used to seeing Phil ride that bench a little longer than most coaches in this situation.

At some point, it becomes so bad that you just sit back and observe the free fall in a zen-like trance yourself...outside of the whole thing looking back in.

Same here. I was surprised that Phil even put the starters back into the game. I was expecting him to just let the young guys ride it out, win or lose.

Luke should have come in when the elad got cut to 15 to ice it. Never should have got down to seven for him to ahve to put Kobe back in. Kobe didn't get a minute of rest before the fourth and him having to come back in after they established a 27 point lead and had it with 9 left in the fourth is an injustice when he is on one ankle and still a not 100% knee.
MadLaker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject:

And 1 wrote:
Terry_Teagle wrote:
As far as T-Mac being out, we shouldn't even mention it. His absence is a factor, but we should all be used to it by now. This is why the Rockets will continue to be "pretenders".

Concur 100%.

You can pretty much write it down at the beginning of the season that McGrady will miss 8-12 games with various ailments.

And when he returns "healthy," you can bet that Yao will fall out for another 8-12 games.

Hmm I find it a bit disturbing that much of the fanbase and the media is labeling Yao as an injury prone player when he's only had one bad year with injury.

As for TMac, agreed 100%. This whole back injury with him will kill the Rox unless some miracle happens
redglare
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject:

Rocket's fan here. While you are 100% correct on McGrady you are wrong about Yao. Yao has never had an injury plagued season until last year. He's quite durable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject:

redglare wrote:
Rocket's fan here. While you are 100% correct on McGrady you are wrong about Yao. Yao has never had an injury plagued season until last year. He's quite durable.

He certainly wasn't injury-plagued until last year, but I think the biggest difference is the fact that his stamina has improved tremendously. He can go 4 quarters now playing at the same level.

Now last night, he was winded. I think Kwame might just have the best big man body in the NBA and it wore him down. But on a night to night basis, Yao is going the distance.
limchrc
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the recap. Hope Odom can return to the lineup soon.
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject:

I would've felt better about Lamar's injury if not for that near disaster in the 4th. But why dwell...

Luke is truly a Jedi. Those interior passes to Kwame in the 3rd were things of beauty and his double teaming on Yao disrupted the Rockets offense.

Kobe had an okay game, but the Lakers still almost blew out the Rockets despite him shooting poorly. I'm sure no one needs to tell him to step it up with Lamar out.

Cook & Radman could be our two-headed bombsters. Hopefully they are able to score more than they give up on the other end.

Kwame, Ronny, & Bynum will need to wipe the glass better to make up for LO's loss.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB,

When you mentioned that Turiaf was a "little" better defensively I .

I would like to see the lakers go with rad and turiaf primarily tonight, and move Luke over at times on dirk. I think Luke can aggravate his game some on the perimeter, and it will allow evans some minutes against howard. People forget that rad primarily played 4 in seattle. His length, underrated athletecism and hustle might work against a perimeter oriented dirk as well.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject:

I love Luke’s aggressiveness, and I particularly like the fact that he really punishes the opposing team when he has a smaller player guarding him. In fact, he does a much better job of exploiting his size and strength advantage than Lamar.

Regarding Kwame and Bynum, it’s been refreshing to see them wear down 2 elite 7 footers (Duncan and Yao) on 2 consecutive games. Duncan had an average game against our 2-headed monster, and Yao was pretty much shut down in the 2nd half last night. I’m particularly pleased that Bynum held his own against Yao. He blocked or altered at least 5 of Yao’s shots.

Anyway, I’m pleased with the Lakers’ overall performance last night. I’m not too down about the 4th quarter collapse because I think that was an anomaly. The coaching staff and the team leaders will have to stress the importance of maintaining focus on a consistent basis. However, there’s no denying that the team is really coming together.
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject:

MadLaker wrote:
And 1 wrote:
Terry_Teagle wrote:
As far as T-Mac being out, we shouldn't even mention it. His absence is a factor, but we should all be used to it by now. This is why the Rockets will continue to be "pretenders".

Concur 100%.

You can pretty much write it down at the beginning of the season that McGrady will miss 8-12 games with various ailments.

And when he returns "healthy," you can bet that Yao will fall out for another 8-12 games.

<snipped>

Hmm I find it a bit disturbing that much of the fanbase and the media is labeling Yao as an injury prone player when he's only had one bad year with injury.

I made my comments with regard to last season where he missed around 24-26 games. My memory was that he suffered through multiple injuries which saw him in and out of the line-up (as opposed to a single knee injury which saw him out of action for one block of time).

I think another thing which prompted my comments (though probably unfairly) is the ongoing perception that he's not a well-conditioned athlete yet, despite this being his 5th season in the league. Gives off he perception that his minutes are being limited while he's recovering from some type or injury or something.

We'll see how it turns out. I hope he stays healthy, but I doubt that that happens.
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
I love Luke’s aggressiveness, and I particularly like the fact that he really punishes the opposing team when he has a smaller player guarding him. In fact, he does a much better job of exploiting his size and strength advantage than Lamar.

I noticed this to.

Keep bringing that wood, Luke!
cook43
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject:

Props to Cook for filling in after being out ill for so long. I know a back handed compliment is the most Barry can ever give him, but I was happy with his minutes last night.
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject:

cook43 wrote:
Props to Cook for filling in after being out ill for so long. I know a back handed compliment is the most Barry can ever give him, but I was happy with his minutes last night.

Brian's grandma checking in. Nice to hear from ya, Big Mama.

Actually, I was quite pleased with what Cookie gave us last night, though he's still a liability on defense.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject:

Exick wrote:
cook43 wrote:

Actually, I was quite pleased with what Cookie gave us last night, though he's still a liability on defense.

And he's always gonna be a defensive liability. I think it's time to accept that. So what do you do with him?? Use him as a specialty player. I think he has great use as guy who can draw one of the opposing bigs out of the paint with his range. As long as he continues to make shots, he'll get PT (just hopefully not extended minutes).
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject:

cook43 wrote:

Sorry, bro. Feel free to re-read everything I have ever written about Cook. I'll prop him when he plays well and talk about his deficiencies when he doesn't.
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
Exick wrote:
cook43 wrote:

And he's always gonna be a defensive liability. I think it's time to accept that. So what do you do with him?? Use him as a specialty player. I think he has great use as guy who can draw one of the opposing bigs out of the paint with his range. As long as he continues to make shots, he'll get PT (just hopefully not extended minutes).

Believe me, I agree with you. The people who are continually talking about how they hate Cook because of this or that on defense are just white noise to me at this point.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject:

KOBEhastheMAGIC wrote:
Luke should have come in when the elad got cut to 15 to ice it. Never should have got down to seven for him to ahve to put Kobe back in. Kobe didn't get a minute of rest before the fourth and him having to come back in after they established a 27 point lead and had it with 9 left in the fourth is an injustice when he is on one ankle and still a not 100% knee.
Phil is providing opportunities for these young Lakers to learn - in this case, how to defend a large lead and to stay focus. I think that Phil definitely has the attention (if he didn't already) about what it takes to be an elite NBA team.

btw: No more complaints about Mitch?!?!

Re: Cook - if he is used within a specific role, he is OK since he can shoot. To have him as a starter would be dangerous if he is not hitting his shots?!?!?!
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:

Re: Jordan
Do you think that the lineup he was playing with strapped him from being his usually productive play, since he is not a person that looks to score first.

Nah, he should be able to play with anyone. He's a rook, he's facing teams he hasn't seen before. He'll be inconsistent at times, especially with a first look at a team. See how he does next time we play them.

Quote:

Re: Cook
Do you think that he will be the replacement starter for LO, or will Vlad be that person? Though Cook provided some needed offensive punch, it was funny seeing him play defense and falling over the opposing players. If only Vlad can get his "shot" going, as Stu stated - what a team the Lakers would have??

No telling what Phil will do. He started Cook a number of games last year. He's more familiar with the Tri than Vlad. I'm guessing he gets the start, especially over Vlad. Turiaf should get a lot more minutes, too.

Quote:

Re: Handling Big Leads
Isn't it great that this has to learn how to handle big leads against good teams - we've come a long way, baby?!?!?! Phil will definitely address the team in maintaining its focus. Wouldn't it have been great to provide an opportunity for Kobe to rest on the front-end of "back-to-back" games?

Phil has done this in the past -- not to this extent, but just scrape by on the front of back-to-backs as he tries to steal some minutes for the starters. You're right, he'll be able to harp at the bench and probably squeeze some more focus out of them.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject:

B_Rabbit1212 wrote:
DB:

Do you get the impression that if Lamar was still around that the lead wouldn't have collapsed like that? I certainly came away with that.

Probably. We did have a huge lead, so both LO and Kobe might have sat...but maybe Phil keeps another player out there like Luke a little longer or something. You might have had a different talent mix... or better rested players... there's a lot you can factor in there, if you want to look at it from that angle.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
Re: Jordan - Do you think that the lineup he was playing with strapped him from being his usually productive play, since he is not a person that looks to score first.
Nah, he should be able to play with anyone. He's a rook, he's facing teams he hasn't seen before. He'll be inconsistent at times, especially with a first look at a team. See how he does next time we play them.
Quote:
Re: Cook - Do you think that he will be the replacement starter for LO, or will Vlad be that person? Though Cook provided some needed offensive punch, it was funny seeing him play defense and falling over the opposing players. If only Vlad can get his "shot" going, as Stu stated - what a team the Lakers would have??
No telling what Phil will do. He started Cook a number of games last year. He's more familiar with the Tri than Vlad. I'm guessing he gets the start, especially over Vlad. Turiaf should get a lot more minutes, too.
Quote:
Re: Handling Big Leads - Isn't it great that this has to learn how to handle big leads against good teams - we've come a long way, baby?!?!?! Phil will definitely address the team in maintaining its focus. Wouldn't it have been great to provide an opportunity for Kobe to rest on the front-end of "back-to-back" games?
Phil has done this in the past -- not to this extent, but just scrape by on the front of back-to-backs as he tries to steal some minutes for the starters. You're right, he'll be able to harp at the bench and probably squeeze some more focus out of them.
Thanks for your comments. Do you feel that if Phil will have a different substitution pattern/starter selection if he feels that LO will be gone for more than 3+ weeks (meaning that Lo will be back in the first part of February - as oppose to if he's only gone 2+ weeks? Do you think that Vlad - with more available PT - will be able to get his shooting groove back sooner or his current injury makes this nearly an impossibility?
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject:

I just hope Phil doesn't give Cook the minutes over Turiaf. They both make major impact in the time they're on the court.

Turiaf's impact, however, is a POSITIVE one.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: