Did anyone brave Black Friday?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Did anyone brave Black Friday?

I decided to sleep in, not deal with any crowds or parking or stores or anything on Friday. I did go shopping at one point, but later in the evening when most people were gone. I got some good deals on clothes, but that's about it.

Did anyone else decide to go shopping the Friday after Thanksgiving? Uberzev, did you wind up buying the MP3 player you wanted to get?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Flight#24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject:

Nope though my brother- in -law got a 2 gig Scandisk Micro USB flash drive for $29.99.

Although I did get a Xbox 360 for $100, but not on Friday (on Turkey Day at exactly 11 AM).
LA NATIVE
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:42 am    Post subject:

I could of had a the 32" LCD from Home Depot but I wasn't ready for what happens when the doors open. I was #12 in line and found out the store (Home Depot) had 16 in stcok. I thought for sure it was mine and there wasn't much of a crowd like Best Buy. I had no idea as soon as the doors open they let everyone run in and after that it becomes every man, women, and child for themselves. Top it off they had the tv's in three different sections, I swear they did that just to ef with people. Anyways I didn't climb,push,dive, or argue all of which happened. Later that day I got the 27" WEGA from Sony for $100 off. Beautiful picture, but not a 32"
When they ask me about Shaq, I say, 'I love Shaq, but [screw] Miami.' It is what it is. I'm a Laker and I bleed purple and gold and if you ain't down with the Lakers, f--- you, straight up.-Snoop Dogg
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject:

Man, it was crazy. My girl and I decided to check things out because we'd never seen the craziness before. We went down to the San Fernando Valley around my parents house.

So we heard Comp USA was having a sale on Thansgiving night from 9 PM - 12 PM. My girl is looking for a 50 inch plasma for her parents. Sales show the model we want is about $1999 - down from the $2700 or so you find it in most places. So we swing out and get there at 9:20 PM. Line around the store and curling down the block. And that wasn't the line waiting for the store to open. The store was already full, but due to fire laws, they couldn't fit any more people in there. So anytime some people came out they would let the same amount of people waiting in line in. So 2 in, 2 out, etc. Insane. Needless to say, we didn't go in, but people had babies out there with them in line and it was cold. Insane.

Anyway, we spun around a bunch of stores that night and saw people camped out at best buy, frye's, etc.

Next morning - Black Friday. We show up at Circuit City at 6:30 AM. Line down the length of the store. Again, store was full, they just couldn't fit anymore people inside. An employee came out and said that they still had a lot of stuff, but were sold out of a lot of stuff too. People started yelling out stuff like "GPS" and the guy would respond and say if they were sold out or not. They were out of just about everything including the plasmas, so we left. We saw a huge line still at best buy and figured they were out of everything so we went to Magnolia right next door. They were sold out of the plasmas too. So we went to the mall next and hit a sears and found the plasma. They were price matching so we showed them the deals at at other places and they matched it and said they'd ship it back to the bay area for us for $60. Considering how much we saved on the plasma, it was a no brainer.

On the drive back up to the bay area we did hit the Gilroy outlets where there were some good deals on clothes and stuff, but that was also on Saturday, not Black Friday.

So basically, what I learned this weekend was that if you ain't camping out, you generally are going to have a really tough time unless you get lucky like we did. Also, there are specific deals out there, but most stores don't have those big kinda deals. They're counting on the other craziness to bring in customers who are just itching to spend. They might have some small deals, but in general, there ain't that much special stuff out there.
mbloves L.A.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject:

My mom went and fell down. No electronics bought so I consider this one a failure.
F Snaq
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:10 am    Post subject:

Was too trashed from the night before. Didn't actually fully regain conciousness until Saturday morning. Went to Fry's Electronics Saturday afternoon, and the only "deals" they had left were on telephone cords and crappy Godzilla DVDs from like the 60s. Totally missed out on the whole shopping experience thing.
NBA referees are a detriment to the integrity and essence of the game of basketball. It is our duty, as fans of this sacred game, to eviscerate each and every one of these treacherous maggots, if ever we cross paths with any of them in our lives.
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject:

I got a 22" widescreen LCD monitor for my comp. Sweet and totally worth it.
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject:

WorstBuy had the 42" plasma Panny for $999
Panthas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject:

I got a 32' LCD (with HD) for $500....I scored!!
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject:

Panthas wrote:
I got a 32' LCD (with HD) for $500....I scored!!

That's a nice deal. I am going to a fund-raiser this week where I have a shot at a 48-inch plasma HDTV.

But that has nothing to do with Black Friday, so I shut up now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject:

90% of people taking advantage of these sales are shopping for themselves and not for others.....shame.

i pulled that statistic out of my ass but it does seem that way everywhere i go.
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject:

I was doing some work to the house over the weekend and I went to Lowe's to pick up a couple items and got cut off twice and had someone try to steal my parking space. I was a few choice words from a fight so I just went home and kept working.

It's sickening the way people behave.
jLuVTHaLaKERS
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject:

worked at Fry's electronics at 5am. I saw some crazy things.... this guy with a shoppin cart knocked an older guy down (not old but had to be at least 50) and didnt even look back. dont know what he bought but it better have been good.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Kobe>Lebron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject:

Ages ago I worked at Fryes and we used to joke that Black Friday was a great way to gather all the biggest consumer A-holes in one place. You know the kind that want to speak to a supervisor about a 5 year old coupon or the kind that try to return merchandise purchased at some other store. The pushy, whiny, to cheap to wait people used to come out in droves for black friday, that is why no one ever wanted to work. Keep in mind I am not talking about your average joe blow that just wants to shop for a good deal(like myself) I am talking about the campers and the guys that run people over with carts. Black Friday turns Best Buys, Fryes, Wal marts, etc into jerk bee hives.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject:

jLuVTHaLaKERS wrote:
worked at Fry's electronics at 5am. I saw some crazy things.... this guy with a shoppin cart knocked an older guy down (not old but had to be at least 50) and didnt even look back. dont know what he bought but it better have been good.

Man, I wish you guys woulda thrown that guy out. People are insane.
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject:

Is it just me, or does the customer service at Fry's suck ballsackious? I was there yesterday looking for a pc cordless keyboard and mouse for my gf. I wanted something in white (you know women always wanting to match) and the rep showed me one for a mac after i specifically said pc. While I was talking he decided to walk away. I said "thanks for nothing". Ive also heard bad customer service from other people as well.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject:

^^^ Yeah. They're absolutely horrible at Frye's. I feel sorry for anyone going there looking for help. Frye's is only useful if you know exactly what you're looking for, otherwise you may as well be asking your grandma for advice.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject:

I did... I went to express and bought a whole bunch of crap
jLuVTHaLaKERS
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
jLuVTHaLaKERS wrote:

Man, I wish you guys woulda thrown that guy out. People are insane.

Yea that was pretty bad, I dont work for Fry's tho, I manage a team of reps that sell inside of stores like that tho so I was there to see the chaos first hand. Ive been at Fry's for 3 Black Fridays in a row, and Circuit City before that so nothing scares me lol 8)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Hap4n
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject:

I went, and I succeeded with a 52' inch Panasonic Rear Projection HDTV from Circuit city for $1000
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject:

someone said Fry's and Customer Service in the same sentence. you should be banned from this board.

But myself, one of my friends, my brother and his wife. hit the outlets at midnight. well we actually got there somewhat early at around 11:30pm, thanksgiving evening. hit up Camarillo. my boy and brother were mostly shopping for their kids and if you saw something for yourself jump on it. best thing to do for that nike store is to have someone stand in line ahead of time. they got there at about 11:00 or so. we were like 30minutes late. when i say late. i mean late. because the nike store opened at 11 and change. not 12am like they were supposed to. by the time we found what we wanted or what we could find that was worth it. my brother and his wife were 3rd in line to the register. Perfect . I went last year and my feet hurt from thinking about it. thats how long we stood in line. without this plan. lets say like 2hours straight.

but what i did see was crazy. the Coach store for the ladies. had a line all the way into the parking lot. Crazy. I'm thinking, the last 50 people must be brainless. there's not enough supply for that kind of demand. go home, or go to some other store. why waste your time like that. and believe me it wasn't hot outside. babies and all out there.

I got a couple of very good deals on shoes myself, and a pair for pops. a pair of rockports. I never thought i would be wearing rockports. now granted i never thought they would actually have a nice looking stylish shoe with EXTREME cushion. when i say extreme. i mean pillow soft. these shoes feel better then putting on nike sandals after a day of hoop. better then tennis/basketball shoes. walking on pillows. and they look nice. 2 pair for $102 and change thats tax included. 1 for me, 1 for pops(merry christmas).

i went by the best buy, closest to me around 8pm just to see if any nuts were out there. and bam, 30 people already camping. So i knew that was a No go.

so i'm thinking I'll hit up a bestbuy or circuity city on the way back from camarillo. I pass 2 best buys and 1 circuit city before we would get home.

its 1:30am. coming from camarillo. stop off in thousand oaks, best buy.

the line was wrapped around the building. I mean all the way around by the back where the trucks bring stuff in. crazy. and it was cold (for us cali people). nuts bundled up in ponchos and beanies. like they're up at bigbear or something. more people were coming. so of course we kept it moving.

went to the bestbuy in woodland hills. line, DOWN THE STREET. I just laughed and kept driving.

went to circuit city in northridge,(last stop). line wrapped around the entire building. I asked one guy, "come on guy, is it this serious, what in the world are they selling tomorrow?" He said, laptops for under $400, TV's for super cheap. Ipods, mp3 players for super cheap, digital cameras going for under 100bucks that cost 3hundred, etc, etc. I did think about it for a second. and took my but back to the house. got online. went to Comp USA and to outpost.com aka Frys.com and got special online deals only for blackfriday. finally upgraded and got me a 19inch flat panel monitor for my computer, tax+shipping and handling a tad bit over $200. the real price was $400, and thats not counting this $30.00 rebate I'm about send in.

and i got a TV on the way today, finally in the game fellas. its a small room tv. but better then my oldschool 19inch.

23inch HDTV , 8ms response time contrast ration is pretty high as well, for under $400, plus tax&shipping. real price $700 without tax and shipping.

the other smart people waited until monday aka Cyber Monday. where they have special deals for electronics/especially computer stuff. go on outpost, newegg.com, tigerdirect (had a crazy deal, some TV costing $2600 was onsale for $1700. WOW.) if I had the space/and the extra change. I would've had to do it.

speaking on that monitor i just got delivered the other day. STupid DHL left my monitor outside my front door. i live in a complex with other units. Monitor Box big as day. no one signed for it. If that thing came up missing. I would be on Judge Judy.

Complainant: PostandPivot vs
Defense: DHL
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: