GRIZZLIES -at- LAKERS - 11/12 - Thoughts and :-)) ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject:

KingKobe20Dub wrote:
Ugly ugly ugly ugly game. Very sloppy and nothing really consistent. Lamar had a good one with 20,14,an 7. Kobe is playing terrible. Despite his 21 points he is nothing close to his real self. Healing and conditioning process.

Kobe will get better. I was really impressed with how Kwame played. He looks a lot better with his help D. He was really coming out and double teaming quickly and he was very very active on D. I thought it was the best that I have ever seen him play. It just really seemed like he gets how the Lakers play D now. I am glad to have him back, he will help a lot. He is our taller Ben Wallace, not so good on O, but very effective at D.
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject:

CorkyTomjanovich wrote:
I liked the way Kwame played, and I understand him being a little ticked. He was working hard down there to seal his man, and they missed dumping it in quite a few times.

That's been the problem this season with post entry passes, not only to Bynum or Kwame, but anyone trying to post. After the quick weak to strong side cut, the perimeter players have to reward the cutters otherwise why bother to even make the cut? Make the entry pass, collapse the defense, then work off of that.

Welcome back, Lamar and Kwame. Lamar proved once again that he can dominate a team without a power postup player. More than anything, it was his aggressive attitude that was necessary.

Kwame looked pretty fluid out there. Even though he still shows the bad hands, he did show some patience and nice touch on the jump hook. I also thought he was leaping higher and better than when we last saw him. More of him at center means less of Cookie there.

Mo Evans provided a great spark. How about that tomahawk dunk!

The PG spot was shaky. Smush still makes bad decisions and gets lost on D. Sasha seems to have anointed himself the designated gunner by taking some questionable, quick shots. I hope he isn't thinking that the only way he can earn time is to gun.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: GRIZZLIES -at- LAKERS - 11/12 - Thoughts and :-)) ratings

[quote="A Mad Chinaman"]
DancingBarry wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
Your assessment makes complete sense. What is interesting is that even with an experienced lineup (Kobe/LO/Cook/Smush/Luke), there have been sloppy passes - ironically, many of these were from Kobe - that might have resulted in the players being in the wrong position.

1. Re: Smush
It appears that you feel that he will remain the starting PG with Phil adjusting the PT with the rise/fall of the performances of Smush/Jordan/McKie/Williams/Sasha.

2. Re: Sasha
What other things can Phil do to translate Sasha's sharpshhoter skills to the actual games? Even with all his troubles, he is not that much worse than Smush - even though he doesn't have the talent that Smush has

first and foremost. lets stop comparing sasha to anyone on our team. on smush's worse night he's still better then sasha on a sasha bad night. if sasha's three isn't hitting. he is as good as me and you watching on TV. not playing at all.

Smush's performance is going to be up and down pretty much all season long. unless he starts knocking down 3's. if not, then that means he will have to find other ways to score. the way we run the tri. our pg's will always get an open 3. but the question is, will they get anything else besides that? maybe. and thats where the problem lies in how we run the tri. vs other teams with heavy PG/SG play. running off points.

If our guys are constantely being picked off, and ran around for scores and assist by the opposing teams guards. and we really can't get back at those guards with our on guard play. due to triangle restrictions. What you see is what you will see pretty much all season long. unless smush's/Farmar's three starts to connect on the regular basis. with the emergence of Luke/Bynum. there's less GOOD touches in scoring position for the PG position. this is what no on is addressing. with the kind of mins Luke is playing along side, Kobe, LO. that takes away the playmaking duties of the PG as well. This means. the only way you can get off is in transition. and thats hit or miss, because even then. they're not going to give the pg the ball. if Luke has it, he is a good passer so he will take it all the way and make something happen. same with LO, same with Kobe.

no one is waiting on Smush/farmar/sham to do a jason kidd. because 3 guys are good enough to do it themselves.

unless the starting lineup changes. I dont see smush/farmar looking any better then they do. some games they wont miss. some days they will. some days they wont turn the ball over. other days they will. some days they wont have many assists. other days they will. Unless the lineups change.

and one last thing. WHERE IS RONNY TURIAF? is the guy hurt or what.
eniq 0x00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject:

dino wrote:
nice recap db...thanks...

kwame looked ok...didn't look like he dropped a ball all night (not that i recall), although he did bobble his first attempt...

It wasn't the best pass. It's a miracle he held on to it at all.

^^ Farmar

eniq 0x00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject:

KingKobe20Dub wrote:
Ugly ugly ugly ugly game. Very sloppy and nothing really consistent. Lamar had a good one with 20,14,an 7. Kobe is playing terrible. Despite his 21 points he is nothing close to his real self. Healing and conditioning process.

Terrible? (bleep). He isn't playing terrible. He played probably his best game of the season. Just cos he isn't exactly the same as last year, doesn't mean he's playing terrible.

^^ Farmar

Freakout
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject:

Was very good seeing Kwame last night. You forget how mobile he is for a guy his size.

Highlight of the night for me was seeing Ronny and Andrew on the floor together.
parsons777
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject:

OK, not trying to be pessimistic, but rather realistic.

On a play when Kwame first came in the game he went up and blocked somebody after a defensive foul. His right arm pushed full force against the offensive players arm. Right after he was shaking the shoulder and kept doing it the whole time he was on the lane for the free throws.

I think he has a tear-labrum, rotator, doesn't matter. IMO he will need surgery. Just a matter of time. I do not think he finishes the season.

I tore my shoulder and had it scoped. Recovery took forever-well, about seven months
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject:

parsons777 wrote:

On a play when Kwame first came in the game he went up and blocked somebody after a defensive foul. His right arm pushed full force against the offensive players arm. Right after he was shaking the shoulder and kept doing it the whole time he was on the lane for the free throws.

I think he has a tear-labrum, rotator, doesn't matter. IMO he will need surgery. Just a matter of time. I do not think he finishes the season.

I tore my shoulder and had it scoped. Recovery took forever-well, about seven months

hey you might be correct. the way kwame talked about it feeling good one day and bad the next. probably will need surgery. look at our bigs, another man down.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject:

parsons777 wrote:

I'm not sure what to make of it. It sounds more like shoulder bursitis than a rotator cuff injury. In a rotator cuff injury, Kwame would have significant problems just raising the injured arm; even running down the court would be quite painful as gravity and motion tug on that damaged shoulder. It sounds like he strained additional small muscles in his neck, perhaps compensating for the pain elsewhere.
melakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject:

Dancing Madsen wrote:
KingKobe20Dub wrote:

Kobe will get better. I was really impressed with how Kwame played. He looks a lot better with his help D. He was really coming out and double teaming quickly and he was very very active on D. I thought it was the best that I have ever seen him play. It just really seemed like he gets how the Lakers play D now. I am glad to have him back, he will help a lot. He is our taller Ben Wallace, not so good on O, but very effective at D.

Only one problem with Kwame's aggressive defense, and that is he is looking really bad at the free throw line, and he has said that he would be....

In order to take advantage of Kwame's great defense, he is going to have to give us better than 50% at the free throw line...to balance his game.

I dont know how bad its going to be, but he said its going to be bad, so that could mean very bad...

If its that bad, then he cant be on the court at crucial times in the game...He would be giving up fouls on one end, and getting fouled on the other end, but missing his free throws, or teams will play Hack-a-Kwame in late games that are close, and when we need tough defense late in games...

Somehow Kwame is going to have do something to give us better free throw shooting....

Is the granny shot still legal?
Afrosamurai
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject:

Nice analysis on the game. For someone like me who wasn't lucky to even see the Lakers game (except for a few seconds driving pass a Hooters with a TV with the Lakers game in view) this is a great thread to read.
LakersSpirit
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject:

Between our last loss, and this last win, someone worked with our team, very hard... Our passing was a lot crisper, and more in rhythm. Everyone was playing together, and communicating. There were the occasional bad decisions. I think Phil may have found the key, to getting this team together. I think the coaching staff must be working them through passing drills, and running the triangle, over and over... This should continue.

Kobe is not trying to dominate the game, as much. Kobe is trusting his teammates more. The ball is moving around. There are still some nice passed up shots, IMHO, which still kind of upsets things, but not as much. I'm thinking, that Kobe may be changing his style, as he gets older, and his knee problems become more questionable. I think Kobe will work more within the system, and only try to take over, in desperation time.

I knew Mo Evans would reemerge, eventually. I knew I wasn't seeing mirages. Phil must have found a way to get something out of Mo, along with everything else.

Kwame showed a little rust, but he was also surprising, in the way he seemed to be on the same page, with everyone. I guess, Kwame has been working with the team, in practice.

Dare I say, that Bynum's moves look better, right now, than Kwame's. Andrew continues to amaze, with moves that belie his age and experience.

Many doomsayers are dissing our PG's, but I am excited, by the potential that I see. I see a team that has the potential to come together, with the offense being instigated from various areas of the triangle, because of our unique, and diverse guard situation.

Realistically, we will not look this good, against tougher competition, but this was a good game, to gain our confidence, and get back to playing like a team.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: GRIZZLIES -at- LAKERS - 11/12 - Thoughts and :-)) ratings

postandpivot wrote:
first and foremost. lets stop comparing sasha to anyone on our team. on smush's worse night he's still better then sasha on a sasha bad night. if sasha's three isn't hitting. he is as good as me and you watching on TV. not playing at all.

Smush's performance is going to be up and down pretty much all season long. unless he starts knocking down 3's. if not, then that means he will have to find other ways to score. the way we run the tri. our pg's will always get an open 3. but the question is, will they get anything else besides that? maybe. and thats where the problem lies in how we run the tri. vs other teams with heavy PG/SG play. running off points.

If our guys are constantely being picked off, and ran around for scores and assist by the opposing teams guards. and we really can't get back at those guards with our on guard play. due to triangle restrictions. What you see is what you will see pretty much all season long. unless smush's/Farmar's three starts to connect on the regular basis. with the emergence of Luke/Bynum. there's less GOOD touches in scoring position for the PG position. this is what no on is addressing. with the kind of mins Luke is playing along side, Kobe, LO. that takes away the playmaking duties of the PG as well. This means. the only way you can get off is in transition. and thats hit or miss, because even then. they're not going to give the pg the ball. if Luke has it, he is a good passer so he will take it all the way and make something happen. same with LO, same with Kobe.

unless the starting lineup changes. I dont see smush/farmar looking any better then they do. some games they wont miss. some days they will. some days they wont turn the ball over. other days they will. some days they wont have many assists. other days they will. Unless the lineups change.
Admire your blind faith is Smush.

The problem is not the PG hitting "3s" - it is effectively running the Tri and defending the opposing PG. Phil has put Kobe in the "Initiating Role" because Smush has not been able to do that - in addition, he is unable to bring up the ball upcourt against the better guards.

Smush has more talent than Sasha, however - which is also why his performances are so disappointing, Sasha has to have a better basketball IQ because of that fact. The Lakers are looking for consistency at PG - something Smush cannot bring. With the improviement at every other position (C, PF, SF, SG - Kobe notwithstanding). Smush has had his chance of getting major PT - it is time for others to get the same chance of PT that Smush got such as Jordan (already getting more and more), Evans (even though he is really a SG - he is starting to be more productive and consistent), McKie (isn't this the reason why they got him on the team?!?!), Williams (even though he is on the "Inactive List") and Sasha.

As Paul Westphal has stated, they have an issue at PG. Smush's deficiencies has prompted Phil to have Kobe initiate that takes away invaluable energy from Kobe since they now have LO attacking from the wing.

Note: I understand that you have no use for Sasha, but obviously Phil/Lakers/Mitch thinks that he has a role on this team since they have him for more year under contract.
expertla
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:22 am    Post subject:

Freakout wrote:
Was very good seeing Kwame last night. You forget how mobile he is for a guy his size.

Highlight of the night for me was seeing Ronny and Andrew on the floor together.

Highlight of the night for everyone else was the Mo Evans throw down.
RealPeso
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject:

DB. Just great stuff. Be pleased in all you do.

My Beliefs:
Smush. Does not take the ball to the basket with any authority or aggressiveness. Seems to almost always be out of control. Some mentioned, a few days ago, that at this point last year he had 10 dunks, none this year. I believe he has some lower body problems, i.e., legs, thighs, hips which also effect his ability to defend laterally. Why is he taking moving jumpers? I watched him at practice in Anahiem and he was nailing 3’s from his usual stand still position... It is appears as if this is his defining year in the NBA and he doesn’t recognize it. He has talent and lots of room for improvement. How can you not find a place to work out in LA, how can he not recognize that in the NBA there are two roads: One ends at either under or off the bridge, the other at fame and fortune unlike anyplace except heaven. Well maybe one other, low scale bench players.

Lamar: Most Talented Ever. To plagiarize Snack, MTE. Can do everything with a basketball. No need to define everything here. Also excels as a team mate. So why is he not a superstar? No heart. How can this happen when you been around a guy like Kobe, who is probably the most aggressive player in NBA history. Maybe Kobe took the little heart Lamar had when he was in Maimi. Why does he gets within 5 feet of the basket and pass the ball either to someone who is 5 inches closer or to someone who is 20 feet away? Excelling at being a team mate, afraid of missing the shot, afraid of getting the shot blocked, or no heart? How many times has he dunked an offensive rebound or just put it over the rim or off the glass? Conserving energy or no heart? How may rebounds does he get from banging as oppose to being out of position and just out jumping the opponent? Avoiding fouls or no heart? How many times has he shot fall-a-way 8-15 footers? Taking his best shot or ….jeez!! He almost never block shots involving lay-ups. How Lamar, how can you allow that to happen??? I truly believe he wants to win, be an all star, win the MVP and maybe MDE. In my personal Hope For Life section, there is an item for Lamar. He has a chance.

Team: Must grow beyond depending on Kobe. In the first 2 games, they looked like world beaters; shooting, passing, doing it all. Enter the best player in basketball and almost total collapse ensued. Afraid of taking the shot, making the incorrect pass, being in the wrong place, brain lock! I suppose it’s understandable that you would probable take the side seat instead of the front seat when you walk into a room with one of the most talented person in your profession. And even though you might venture into it, you would probable feel uncomfortable. It is almost always easier to let some one else do it, especially if you think they are better than you. I think Kobe is doing all he can to make the team feel comfortable in taking the front seat. I also think that if while sitting in that front seat they experience some success the seat will become more comfortable and subsequently the sitter more confident. Confidence is better regardless the task. This team, the team that is on the roster right now, will compete for championship for the next 5 years. They would win at least 4 championships in the next 5 years if Kobe finds a way to give each of them just a tiny portion of his heart.

These are my beliefs. You may, as is synonymous in this forum, comment as you please, I will not defend or assuage.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: GRIZZLIES -at- LAKERS - 11/12 - Thoughts and :-)) ratings

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
postandpivot wrote:

Admire your blind faith is Smush.

The problem is not the PG hitting "3s" - it is effectively running the Tri and defending the opposing PG. Phil has put Kobe in the "Initiating Role" because Smush has not been able to do that - in addition, he is unable to bring up the ball upcourt against the better guards.

Smush has more talent than Sasha, however - which is also why his performances are so disappointing, Sasha has to have a better basketball IQ because of that fact. The Lakers are looking for consistency at PG - something Smush cannot bring. With the improviement at every other position (C, PF, SF, SG - Kobe notwithstanding). Smush has had his chance of getting major PT - it is time for others to get the same chance of PT that Smush got such as Jordan (already getting more and more), Evans (even though he is really a SG - he is starting to be more productive and consistent), McKie (isn't this the reason why they got him on the team?!?!), Williams (even though he is on the "Inactive List") and Sasha.

As Paul Westphal has stated, they have an issue at PG. Smush's deficiencies has prompted Phil to have Kobe initiate that takes away invaluable energy from Kobe since they now have LO attacking from the wing.

Note: I understand that you have no use for Sasha, but obviously Phil/Lakers/Mitch thinks that he has a role on this team since they have him for more year under contract.

^^see i disgree. i dont care what phil says on this. I've watched phil since the chicago days. and there was no time where i thought the PG did anything but play defense and swing the ball around and pop an open trey. thats it. if you look at ron's numbers thats all he did. quiet as kept he had a bad FG% for the most part of his career with chicago. so he wasn't really making those shots. but because he played good de. you looked passed it. the thing with smush, and i will keep saying this. we need to leave that dream alone about playing defense on other guards. when picks are being set. its not a coicedence that no matter who plays PG for the lakers since phil got here. we have never been able to slow or stop the Pick N whatever. well, except for when Ron and Horace played together. because it atleast takes two guys. actually a team to pull it off. Now takeaway the handcheck and Ron harper would be worthless for those bulls and the lakers. thats my point.

So since De is out of the question until the team as a whole gets better at it. then smush is looked at to not miss the shots he gets. if smush didn't force any of those bad looking floaters. you know he would have no more then 8attempts per game? half of them 3's. thats the way the tri is ran. there's no leadership coming from the real PG position. phil is running his mouth. I haven't seen Kerr, Ron, or anyone else show leadership in phils try from that position. I've seen Bshaw throw that lob to shaq(smush doesn't have a shaq to lob it to. and we dont like to play bynum enough. when we do smush gives bynum the ball, smush assists go up when bynum is in the game with him longer). Ive seen Bshaw hit timely 3's(just like i said, you gotta make your 3's). i never saw Bshaw defend in his entire career as a professional ball player. and this was without the no touch rule. so he had no excuse. but since he could make that 3 ball and had shaq to throw it up to. he looked like a leader. no thats not necessarily leadership on the court. thats called making the shots you get. steve kerr did the same thing, minus the lobs. kerr was never known to be a leader out there on the court.

So this myth is funny to me. botttom line is this. they do need to take away more time from smush if phil refuses to get the guy involved closer to the basket early so that we dont have to only rely on his 3pointer to hit to get him going. Farmar has had what 2 games where he almost didn't miss. and most of those shots were when he was in with the bench. playing against someone elses bench. also not running the tri thru and thru. but running it to get himself a good shot. which i dont mind. but unless phil allows him to do that with the starters. he will also be out there bricking 3's. you saw those two games when he couldn't hit a shot? most were 3's. thats why i say its time to put in sham. he's the supposed shooter of the bunch. either that or have phil change it up. where we run a few sets to have Smush actually post up the smaller PG's. i mean intentionally do this. have smush pass it and cut to the baseline ala farmar for 12 footer instead of a 3pointer. some people might think. well smush can do that stuff on his own.

sure he can. and you see what happens when he does. it looks bad and out of the offense. because it is. it has to come from phil first for it to work. the same way we used him against nash the first 2 games against the suns in the offs. is the way we need to use the guy. and farmar, minus the post up(unless he can).

This is where you have to coach. and stop hoping your players are shooters and can shoot themselves back into it. smush aint no shooter. he can hit a 3. but he aint no shooter. he's come along way from his SPL with the lakers where he couldn't shoot a lick. he was worse then. then farmar is now. and farmar is pretty shaky with that 3ball as of right now.

So lets be real about it phil. we dont have steve kerr. that means we need to figure something else out for both smush and farmar while they are playing with the starting bunch. once we do this. you will see it look as if our PG defense looks better. for two reasons. 1. i dont care who you are. you play harder when you get rewarded. even if you're already playing hard. you will play that much harder. its human nature. 2.because our Pg's are so active on the offensive end. the opposing pg's will have to prove they can play de as well. or else our guys will score at will. which will frustrate the opposing guards play. or if they try to defend our guys. good or bad results. that makes the opposing guard that much more tired come crunch time. its easier to get a stop on a hurting back nash, thats fatigued. then it is to get a relaxed no fatigue nash going straight at you. this is common sense. why phil has refused to do this since GP. i have no clue. well i do have a clue. I think because he has always WON his way. he thinks it will still work. and it would. if he had that kind of team he would like. since he doesn't. he has to work with what he has. make do. this is something else that seperates good coaches with great coaches.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject:

RealPeso wrote:
My Beliefs:
Smush. Does not take the ball to the basket with any authority or aggressiveness. Seems to almost always be out of control. Some mentioned, a few days ago, that at this point last year he had 10 dunks, none this year. . I believe he has some lower body problems, i.e., legs, thighs, hips which also effect his ability to defend laterally.

^^^. because he's unsure. he is hesitating in the half court set to attack. for 2 reasons. 1.the new starting lineup have 4 other players that are aggressive enough to score, they can all pass(including bynum), Luke walton is shooting and making shots, LO is being more aggressive as a scorer he's shooting 3's now and making them. I keep saying it but people act like it doesn't play a huge role. where is smush in this equation now? 5th on the list. he's the shortest guy on the court, luke walton is the best passer, kobe is the most athletic, LO is the most versatile, and Bynum is a 7footer standing in the key, you better pass it to him. Where does smush fit? 5th man on the court.

2. last but not least. more teams are running more zone defense against us. that means the paint is packed with people. its very hard to penetrate and not look bad when your teammates dont know how to move while you're doing it. now that doesn't excuse a bonehead smush shot or stupid pass. just like it doesn't excuse kobe for the same things. but this is what has been happening.

RealPeso wrote:
Why is he taking moving jumpers? I watched him at practice in Anahiem and he was nailing 3’s from his usual stand still position... It is appears as if this is his defining year in the NBA and he doesn’t recognize it. He has talent and lots of room for improvement. How can you not find a place to work out in LA, how can he not recognize that in the NBA there are two roads: One ends at either under or off the bridge, the other at fame and fortune unlike anyplace except heaven. Well maybe one other, low scale bench players.

same reason as above. he's not full curled around before the pass is thrown to him. so when he gets it. he's not set. but since he knows he's not going to get the same kind of touches as last year. he then tries to do a billups. and pull up with the 3 early in the shot clock. bad move if you miss.

and you ask how can he not recognize that its a defining year. he knows this. but what can you do about it when things have changed and you are 5th man on the court? pray your 3's fall. or dont take em at all so you wont miss. (this is why you saw him pass the ball to LO with the shot clock at 3 secs. thinking, "i'm not about to brick another one, here ya go LO maybe you can do something with it")

Pray that Bynum/Turiaf and you will be on the court at the same time and playing well. so you can feed them the ball yourself. almost hope, luke, Lo aren't in at the same time you are. because they take away from what you can do out there.
people talk about his lateral quickness. lets get 1 thing straight he is 6'4. not 6'2, or 5'something. so he shouldn't be as fast/quick as most of the little guys. in addition he is thin but he isn't harris/livingston thin.

now. i will ask this same question again. how many PG's in the NBA do you see running by smush without calling for a screen? 1.tparker. 2.Bdavis(this year, with the thin look). 3.Jason kidd last year(but he bullied smush with his size he didnt blow by him.)

So that means the man's lateral movement is sufficient for the job. What we do not have is team de to stop the pick n whatever. lets address that and stop making things all one positions fault. if I earned the respect of the opposing guard so as for him to call for a screen. it is now up to my teammates to play the correct defense to stop the play from developing.

You can't ask someone to protect chucky atkins. when you move one way and the guy goes the other without a screen. you might as well tell chucky to run down and cherry pick. because you're non existent on defense. thats not the case for smush.

with all that said. this is why I wish we could've some how stole Luther head from houston, or Jterry, cassell, or something like that. Because smush nor farmar is going to be the answer for us. unless phil changes things to run some stuff thru them. and to their true strengths which is not 3 point shooting. you want smush to drive correctly. run the triangle with him being he SG from time to time. so he can do what kobe does. have room to operate. dont give him the ball on the strong side with a guy in his face and the paint clogged.

at the end of the day. we're not putting smush in a position to succeed. since we know his strengths/weaknesses. we did put him in a position to succeed last year. but not this year. so guess what. he's not succeeding.

and with a guy like KObe on your team, then LO. then Bynum turning it up. there's really no room for you to force anything to get yourself going. Sure I might if i was smush. and it might not work. and you guys would be on here clowning PnP for throwing up and air ball. or throwing the ball away. you would say, "why is Pnp trying to force the action?" well because PnP doesn't have many oppurtunities to be aggressive. so he has to take it.
RealPeso
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject:

Postandpivot your comments about Smush were interesting enough to make me “eat my words”. Not as a point of argument but are you saying Smush is doomed because of his inability to play in the Tri? Perhaps you could do a similar analysis on my comments about Lamar. Good stuff. Enjoyed and found another perspective. Thanks!
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
how many PG's in the NBA do you see running by smush without calling for a screen? 1.tparker. 2.Bdavis(this year, with the thin look). 3.Jason kidd last year(but he bullied smush with his size he didnt blow by him.)
Some points on Smush to consider (recognizing your support of him)

** He is talented

** If he knew this was a contract year, why couldn't he find any playce (?!?!?!) to play basketball. Curious move from somebody who "states" that this is an important year?

** There has been rookies that have blown by him within the last few games?!?!? There were times when he and Evans were the backcourt and they couldn't bring the ball up against some pressure. Phil took him out after a few minutes of 2 to 3 straight TOs in the backcourt

** If Smush feels that he is the 5th option, his confidence must be shot and should sit on the pine. If shooting 3s early in the clock is his solution, it is a direct line to the bench because Phil won't take that garbage.

** If one reviews the tapes, one sees how Kobe is the initiator where he is going North and South - not East and West and following asleep in Never Never Land. Uh - this is what Smush is suppose to be doing.

** If Smush can't bring up the ball, can't shoot and can't defend - what is he out there fore? He has to define what type of guard he is - Fast: ala Jordan and move/creat / Shooter: then find the open spots and drain his shots - they DO NOT have to be 3s, a good mid-range game is just as good / Defender: Since he is quick, maybe he should pattern his game after somebody like Lindsey Hunter / Maybe he is patterning his game after McKie since he is looking to be on the bench?!?!

I hope that Smush gets his stuff together soon since he is talented. Maybe he should the Wizard of Oz to get a brain and a heart?!?!?! This is the best time for him because Kobe is definitely not 100% and there are a bunch of rookies filled with energy
The Buss
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject:

dino wrote:
sean - i completely agree...although bynum had a couple shots blocked and didn't seem to try and post his man early, they should continue going to him for as long as the opposing team sends a smaller (and aren't almost all of them smaller?) player to cover him...i had the feeling bynum wasn't as active trying to get good position in the 2nd half...out of frustration, perhaps?

but bynum+kwame=less cook at center which is definitely a GOOD THING...

What are you talking about! Cook is a Agile, Mobile, Hostile defensive machine. Striking fear into the heart of anyone who dare venture into the lane, hitting the boards like he was a 6'-9" termite, getting steals like a stock market agent at a dollar store...He is possibly the most intimidating defensive force since David Robinson...With 3 Point Range!!! How could him recieving less minutes possibly be a good thing?
LakersSpirit
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject:

The Buss wrote:
dino wrote:
sean - i completely agree...although bynum had a couple shots blocked and didn't seem to try and post his man early, they should continue going to him for as long as the opposing team sends a smaller (and aren't almost all of them smaller?) player to cover him...i had the feeling bynum wasn't as active trying to get good position in the 2nd half...out of frustration, perhaps?

but bynum+kwame=less cook at center which is definitely a GOOD THING...

What are you talking about! Cook is a Agile, Mobile, Hostile defensive machine. Striking fear into the heart of anyone who dare venture into the lane, hitting the boards like he was a 6'-9" termite, getting steals like a stock market agent at a dollar store...He is possibly the most intimidating defensive force since David Robinson...With 3 Point Range!!! How could him recieving less minutes possibly be a good thing?

Andrew needs more experience under his belt... He has to keep working on his moves, and listening to Kareem's advise. It looked like Andrew was just a split second too slow, on some of those moves to the basket.... In time, Andrew should learn how to make some of those moves faster, and protect the ball better.

I agree, that Cook is doing much better, under the basket. Cookie has been slashing, or finding the cutter, and dishing off some good inlet passes. I've seen Cook play some good defense. I think the problem is that Cook doesn't have that big, imposing body. Consistency seems to be another problem.

Bottom line: I think we do have some good tools. Every Laker has their strong points, and weak points... The challenge, for Phil, is to use the right tool, for the right job.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject:

post - A lot of the problems offensively are on Smush. Sure some of it is the Tri being out of a whack a little and someone having to put up a shot. But that happened last year, too. This year, he's taking a lot of quick, off-balance jumpers. Last year, he picked his spots better. His off the ball movement is much more stagnant. He's standing at the three line when there are cuts to be made. He did that a number of times last game. Guys are drawing the D and Smush is looking to shoot the 3 instead of diving down the lane or getting into the midrange. Last year, that's how we saw a number of his throwdowns. He's even sometimes taking an early three when a pass to the pinch post can be made in which he can get a return pass to attack or run the two-man game. He's not seeing the flow of the game and he's taking harder shots than he attempted last season. That's why his mojo is off, as he puts it. He's missing easier opportunities, out of rhythm out of synch. It could very well be (as Smush seems to be indicating) that not having those extra summer league games to run the Tri in are making him a little slower to get back in rhythm. If that's the case, then we'll just have to hope he gets into the flow better in a couple weeks.

Defensively, he may be slightly stickier on screens than some players...but a bigger gripe I have with him is when he stops moving or putting in effort. If he stops rotating, stops hustling, doesn't box out his man...things like that, which we've all seen...it costs us a few possessions or uncontested shots a game. Sometimes that's the difference between a okay defender with some athleticism and an above average one -- determination. He needs to keep moving on D. He doesn't do it to the extent that Chucky did (which was every play), but he does it and it bites us in the ass sometimes.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject:

RealPeso - Thank you for your thoughtful posts. See some of my comments above on Smush. As far as LO goes, anyone who laces them up after going through everything he went through, I don't think I could say they have a lack of heart. I do think LO has heart. What I might say, and it might be what you are really getting at, is that he doesn't impose his will on the game with consistency. I do think you see that at times.

He needs to maintain a level of offensive aggressiveness. It doesn't always have to manifest itself in a certain number of shots...but you do see field goal attempts and, particularly, free throw attempts and assists go up with that aggressiveness. He needs to collapse the D...again and again. Whether that is done from the post or on the drive, that is what we need. Points will come with his aggressiveness and he makes us a much better team.

There were also a lot of times when LO wanted to impose his will on the game last year, but he just didn't know how within this offense. You'd see him do awkward (non Triangle) kind of things to get himself in position to attack. He's gotten much better at knowing how to manipulate this offense and he will continue to improve in that. He just needs to make a very conscious effort to continually impose his will on the game with and without Kobe on the court. Doing it with him on the court, seems to be a little bit harder unless we let him get on the wing or in the low post a little more.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
His off the ball movement is much more stagnant. . . . . . . He's not seeing the flow of the game and he's taking harder shots than he attempted last season. . . . bigger gripe I have with him is when he stops moving or putting in effort.
Agree

When he stops moving on offensive, it's 4 vs. 5. When he is not putting in the effort on defense, it's also 4 vs. 5. When he is unable to bring up the ball against minimal pressure from quick guards - why is he on the court? At least with Sasha/Evans/Farmar, they bring (at the minimum) consistent effort producting various levels of success.

What's sad, as I've often stated, he is talented and had the greatest opportunity of being handed the starting job for 1+ year with the greatest player (Kobe), coach (Phil), city (Los Angeles), team (Lakers) and owner (Jerry Buss) - what more could one player ask?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: