LAKERS -at- BLAZERS - 11/8 - Thoughts and :-(( ratings
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: LAKERS -at- BLAZERS - 11/8 - Thoughts and :-(( ratings

Strange, but True... From the 7:24 mark of the second quarter to the 7:24 mark of the fourth quarter, no one besides Kobe and Luke scored for the Lakers. As Stu may say, that won't get it done. Clearly, those two have the best grasp of the offense, but that is silly.

The Lakers continued their road problems with the Blazers, losing 101-90 on the second night of the back to back. Lamar Odom disappeared with 11 points and 6 turnovers. Andrew Bynum suffered from foul trouble. And until Smush showed up in the fourth quarter, our PG play was again lousy.

The Blazers were daring the Lakers to take the three at times and we had no confidence in our ability to make shots from the perimeter. Defensively, we didn't match up well with Randolph. And, during a stretch to start the fourth when Portland couldn't score and was turning over the ball...the second unit couldn't capitalize. Phil kept Kobe on the bench for extended time during that stretch because he was concerned about the knee on back to back nights.

Kobe -- -- Kobe's first step and some of his cuts looked a bit quicker and sharper. Good sign to see that part of his game coming along. "It's getting better and better every day," Kobe said in the Times. "My knee feels better, my explosion felt really good tonight. It's coming." He still doesn't have his legs yet, and he's still prone to losing the handle on moves that are normally routine for him. Both of those issues manifested themselves in a couple of stats: Kobe went 1-5 from three and had 6 turnovers in 36 minutes. Other than that, quality moments on the offensive end. He scored 32 points on 12-19 shooting, had only 1 assist, grabbed 3 boards and had 1 steal. Defensively, he's still a bit slow to react. He attacked the basket with some nice speed and scored a layup. He got into the middle of the lane and banked in an easy jumper. He picked up his second foul in the middle of the first quarter and had to sit. He drew an illegal D call, facing up from the wing, he made the FT. He left Jack nailed to the floor with a great first step and scored a reverse. He lost the ball a couple of times off the dribble for turnovers. He was hit on the perimeter and muscled in an And-1 jumper from the top of the key, he missed the FT. He attacked the lane and drew FTs, making both. He worked for the last shot of the half, attacking straight down the middle of the lane, spinning and putting in a finger roll. He hit a jumper on his first attempt of the second half. Six minutes later, he attacked and scored a layup. He attacked down the lane, through the D and scored another layup. He attacked again, this time scooping in a shot over the front of the rim. He buried a three from the wing over the zone. He drew more FTs and made both. He got his man in the air, drew FTs and made one. He got picked from behind on a fastbreak when he didn't notice a help defender (or hear any teammates if they even yelled). He attacked off the dribble, drew a foul and scored the layup.

Walton -- -- We will bump him up the report here because of the quality minutes he's been giving. Luke has been one of the consistent bright spots for the team, which has struggled with consistency. He stretched his career high to 22 points tonight on 8-16 shooting (2-3 from three), 4 boards, 4 assists, 2 steals, 1 block and 0 turnovers in 37 minutes. With Randolph covering him to start the game, Luke quickly blew past him off the dribble to his left and scored a layup. He missed back-to-back baseline jumpers. He attacked, but overpassed instead of trying to finish. He posted up and hit his turnaround jumper. After Bynum kept an offensive board alive, Luke tracked it down under the hoop, he looked off the defenders like he was going to pass, then powered in a layup. He anticipated a pass, hustled from the weakside and picked it off. He then hit an open three on the other end when the D sagged off him. He cut into the zone, then parked under the hoop, took a pass from Cook and scored a layup. He posted up Randolph and hit one of his fades. He swished an open three off a swing pass from Ronny. Out on the break, he attacked and hit a reverse layup. Bynum found him under the hoop, Luke was fouled and made both FTs. He missed an easy shot at the rim and was mad at himself for not finishing. I wish Luke was a little more aggressive at times in this game when Randolph was defending him and had foul trouble. Other than that, excellent game.

Odom -- -- He got the assignment of trying to defend Randolph. Zach dropped 36 and 10. 'Nuff said about that. The Lakers really missed LO on the offensive end. The team was suffering from having to live off Luke and Kobe for way too long. Two quarters without anyone else scoring? LO has got to assert himself more. He finished with 11 points (lucky to get to double digits), he shot 5-9 (0-3 from three, 1-2 from the line). He had 5 boards, 3 assists and 6 turnovers. If the three isn't dropping, it would have been nice to see him manufacture a few more points at the line with some aggressiveness. He started out decently, then faded. He hit a jumphook in the middle of the lane. He attacked down the left side, turning the corner for an easy layup. He attacked to his right, slammed on the breaks and finished with his left. He knocked down an open 20-footer. He drew FTs in the lane and made one. He threw the ball away with a behind the back pass. That was the first half. I've only got a couple second half notes: He was reluctant to take a perimeter jumper, decided to attack and traveled. He tossed up a wild prayer and it banked in when the game was all but over. "Great competitors admit when they get beat," Odom said in the Times. "Tonight they beat us. If the game was five quarters, they probably would still win."

Smush -- -- Smush was the third gunman to step up for the Lakers in the fourth. Pretty lackluster game prior to that. He finished with 10 points on 4-9 shooting (2-5 from three), 3 boards, 1 assist, 2 turnovers and 1 block in 26:33 of action. He picked up two fouls after just a few minutes and had to sit. He made a 19-footer from the wing when he returned to the game. He missed a three. He blocked a perimeter jumper, closing out well. He drew a push off foul on Jack who kept using his off hand as he dribbled. He hit a three to break a scoreless run by the Lakers that went more than 4 minutes to start the fourth. (He was also the first person to score other than Luke and Kobe since the second quarter). He found Bynum in the lane off penetration and the play drew FTs. He crossed over his man, attacked and scored a layup. He faked the shot, let the defender fly by and hit the three.

Bynum -- -- Very similar game from Bynum compared to the last time he played the second night of the back to back. He got into foul trouble, which limited his effectiveness. He made a few too many "rookie" type of fouls in this one. As I mentioned in the last report, consistency for both Bynum and Turiaf is something that will take time. He scored 2 points on 0-1 shooting, 2-2 from the line, and grabbed 5 boards and blocked a shot before fouling out. He missed a baseline hook on his only attempt. He picked up two fouls and had to sit late in the first. He swatted Magloire who tried to dropstep him. He kept an offensive board alive and the Luke got it and scored. He picked up his third foul trying to defend a breakaway and had to sit. He quickly picked up another foul to start the third and had to sit. Great no-look flip pass to Luke under the hoop for FTs, showing a little something extra with that pass. He drew FTs himself under the hoop and made both. He fouled out on a handcheck trying to defend Randolph off the dribble.

Turiaf -- -- Last time Bynum couldn't step up, Turiaf did. He didn't bring that same level of play to this one. He finished with 6 points on 3-5 shooting, 2 baords, 1 assist and 4 fouls in 18 minutes. He stretched for a loose ball, attacked quickly and banked a shot in. He swished a 16-footer from the wing. Shammond set him up for a dunk off the two-man game. He blocked a ball off Jack for a Laker possession.

Evans -- -- I'm having flashbacks to Devean George. I don't expect Evans to be real consistent, but it would have been nice for him to give us something tonight when the bench needed to answer the bell. He missed an open jumper on his first attempt. He drew FTs posting up and made both. He drew another foul away from the ball and made FTs. He scored 4 points in 12 minutes and had 1 steal.

Radmanovic -- -- The Lakers could have used some offense from Vlad tonight. He scored just 3 points on 1-3 shooting in 13 minutes. He did have 4 boards in that time with 1 assist. He kept a board alive to Turiaf who scored. He threw a pass away instead of holding for the last shot. Randolph heaved a half-courter with 7 seconds left, the Lakers worked the ball to Vlad who swished a wing three at the first quarter buzzer. He missed a couple of jumpers to start the fourth in a critical stretch.

Cook -- -- He played 6 minutes of nothing. They never ran the pick and pop for him and he didn't take a shot. Good pass from beyond the arc to Luke who was alone under the hoop and he scored a layup. He fouled Outlaw on a runner, unable to contest in the paint well.

Farmar -- -- Farmar carried over his struggles from the previous game. He went 0-4 (0-3 from three) and had 2 fouls in 13 minutes. He missed a layup at the rim and a three. He missed an open wing jumper. He picked up a silly foul on Dickau at midcourt, bumping him and giving up FTs. He reached and gave Outlaw an And-1. He missed a good look at a three.

Vujacic -- -- He choked a reverse layup off a good feed from Cook. He got killed off a kick spin move by his man to give up a layup. He missed a wing jumper. Pretty much gave them nothing in 10 minutes. It would have been a good opportunity for Sasha to step up considering the Lakers other guards not name Kobe struggled for the most part.

Shammond -- -- He played 4 minutes, had 2 boards and an assist. He didn't attempt a shot. Nice push out at the end of the quarter and he fed Vlad for a three. He worked the two-man game with Ronny, got in the lane and then fed Ronny for a dunk.

Phil -- -- I was hoping Phil was going to be able to dial up the right combination of players, but no one was answering the phone other than Kobe and Luke... He went to a Shammond/Farmar back court late in the first. Something you won't see a lot of... The Cook at Center lineup got hurt again, this time at the end of the second quarter... The offense died to start the third quarter, only scoring 3 hoops the first 6 minutes. Only Luke and Kobe scored during the third quarter. Phil sat them to start the fourth and we didn't score for the next 4 and a half minutes. We went 34 straight points from Kobe and Luke before Smush scored... Phil said he left Kobe out so long during that stretch because of the concern about over extending him on the back to back situation... Certainly a game where Phil could have used Kwame out there on the defensive end... Phil is probably getting a little tired of the turnovers. They addressed it at halftime, but they still had their issues, finishing with 18 on the night. "Tough turnovers," Phil said in the Times. "Kobe's on a fast break and slows down and he doesn't recognize the fact that they're chasing him. Instead of getting two points, you end up losing the ball and they score at the other end. Those are tough."... Lakers are now on the long stretch of games at Staples. Kwame should be available for the next game. It's a good opportunity to get the team all on the same page and playing some solid ball...
Mr. LakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject:

You knew the outcome of the game was gonna look harsh from the start of the game.

we always have found ways to lose in the Rose Garden it's a mystery at this point. i'm glad we're not playing up there anymore it's the ultimate destination for the Blazers to pile up W's when they play us.
dino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject:

hey db...think maybe williams should have gotten extended time tonight if only because of his supposed ability to shoot from the perimeter?
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:41 am    Post subject:

dino wrote:
hey db...think maybe williams should have gotten extended time tonight if only because of his supposed ability to shoot from the perimeter?

Wouldn't have hurt. He needs to be a little more aggressive.
Mr. LakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:43 am    Post subject:

DB... any reason why Farmar is struggling right now? i'm starting to re-think my stance on him i don't think hes ready.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:44 am    Post subject:

Before everyone harps on Phil like they have in lounge for not bringing Kobe back sooner...consider the following:

DAILY NEWS wrote:
After playing the entire third quarter, Bryant did not return until the 5:46 mark of the fourth quarter. Lakers coach Phil Jackson opted to play it conservative in the second of back-to-back games as far as Bryant's knee was concerned.

"I just really wanted to limit his minutes because I'm concerned about over-extending him right now," Jackson said. "We've got a day off and a game and a day off and a game and then we have a little break.

"We're looking to get him through this period of time and increase his conditioning and get him in rhythm, and then that week that we have off, I think we should be able to feel like he comes back and is getting closer to 90, 95 percent rather than 80 percent at that time."
dino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject:

personally, am glad phil and the staff are taking a long term approach to kobe and his minutes...no point over-exerting himself in a game in early november...but that lineup to start the 4th was a little baffling...particularly since it went on for like 4 minutes...
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject:

Mr. LakeShow wrote:
DB... any reason why Farmar is struggling right now? i'm starting to re-think my stance on him i don't think hes ready.

I don't know what your stance was, but he'll be fine. He's a hard worker and has a great mind for the game. None of that is going to change. It will only make him better. He's got starter material in him, but until then he's going to be an x-factor.
dino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:04 am    Post subject:

it'll be interesting to see how the lakers match up with the blazers once kwame comes back...i can imagine brown on randolph but odom on magloire? and how do you justify sitting walton if you decide to move odom to the 3 and keep bynum at center seeing as luke's the most consistent scoring threat after kobe?
Mr. LakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

I hope so.

he made alot of errors and hes not a player who does mental errors hes a smart kid.
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I just don't like the thought of Vlade coming off the bench. What makes it worse I hardly see Vlade open for the 3's in the second unit because those guys are struggling in the triangle also and nobody can create like KObe.
I know Luke Walton is playing well but I would like to see Vlade with Kobe more often because Kobe's penetration will give Vlade some open 3s.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:21 am    Post subject:

dino wrote:
and how do you justify sitting walton if you decide to move odom to the 3 and keep bynum at center seeing as luke's the most consistent scoring threat after kobe?

You've got to mix and match things a bit according to the match up. I remember Luke and Farmar looking pretty good as a bench unit in several games. That wouldn't hurt if you tightened up a certain defensive issue against a specific team (go big if needed for Magliore/Randolph). Would have been nice for Phil to have that option in this game, for sure.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:30 am    Post subject:

I don't think the Lakers need to make changes with their starters. The D is fine when Bynum is anchoring and good rotations (requires energy and communication)

What needs to change are the guys coming in at backup C IMO. Cook is not cutting it. Playing Cook at 5 is really asking for trouble, defensively. I have noticed in both losses that the biggest weakness defensively is when Cook is at C. Even Turiaf is a bit undersized when matched up with bigger C's.

By next week - this should be our second unit.

Kwame
Turiaf/Cook
Radmanovic
Evans
Farmar

I think there will be much better 2nd unit D when that lineup is played. More size and athleticism. Kwame + Turiaf is a good interior D.

Hopefully moving forward:

Bynum/Kwame
Odom/Turiaf
Walton/Radmanovic
Kobe/Evans
Parker/Farmar
11: Cook
12: Vujacic/Williams
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ArrOhBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:40 am    Post subject:

phil jackson cost us the game!!!!!!!
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:46 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
I don't think the Lakers need to make changes with their starters. The D is fine when Bynum is anchoring and good rotations (requires energy and communication)

I'm not necessarily talking about starters, just about how the bulk of the minutes may go when you are trying to match up with a team where LO may have some trouble guarding both the PF or C. If you need to play more Kwame with your main guys and less Luke, so be it. Luke would drive the second unit superbly in that type of situation. This only comes to play with one out of every few teams. Defensive flexibilty is vital.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:48 am    Post subject:

ArrOhBee wrote:
phil jackson cost us the game!!!!!!!

You know you've got to bring more than that in this thread.

Finish that thought please with some details...
- Sean -
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:49 am    Post subject:

It's no coincidence the Lakers have lost the two games Lamar Odom has played the most passively in.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject:

sean2023 wrote:
It's no coincidence the Lakers have lost the two games Lamar Odom has played the most passively in.

Passive LO and Road Game. Bad combo for us at this stage.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:53 am    Post subject:

Agreed on both accounts.

D flexibility and passive LO.

When will my boy get that confidence he needs ... You gotta believe that you deserve to take 15 shots a game LO. If he wants to be an All-Star, he has to realize that All-Stars ussually take 15 shots a game regardless of playing good or bad. You gotta do the same LO. Can't become that passive just because you face some adversity on the court.

Last edited by wolfpaclaker on Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:55 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Mr. LakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:54 am    Post subject:

sean2023 wrote:

Is it time to admit Odom can't stay agressive with Kobe on the floor? it's really getting annoying to see Odom have these games he should already know what to do out there. its pretty frustrating.
TooCool
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:55 am    Post subject:

I hate it when the Lakers fly up to Seattle or Portland... especially on the back to back nights like tonight. Really kills us.
- Sean -
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:03 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
sean2023 wrote:

Passive LO and Road Game. Bad combo for us at this stage.

It's a terrible combination. They can get away w/ it at Staples...where 1-12 usually plays their best basketball. On the road...pumpkins don't turn into chariots. Stars need to get used to playing like stars away from home if they think they are going to advance deep into the playoffs.
- Sean -
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:15 am    Post subject:

Mr. LakeShow wrote:
sean2023 wrote:

Is it time to admit Odom can't stay agressive with Kobe on the floor? it's really getting annoying to see Odom have these games he should already know what to do out there. its pretty frustrating.

It is frustrating. It's also still early in the first year he really knows the offense....so, I'm not giving up yet...but if it doesn't happen for him this season...then I'll probably have to forget about some of the lofty expectations his game occasionally inspires. Hopefully he gets it...because when he is out there realizing his potential, it's a sight to behold.
Mr. LakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:24 am    Post subject:

I agree...i'm giving him 1 more chance he should know what to do right now i'm tired of seeing him consistently have these bad games he needs to get a grip and step-up were he needs to. i thought he should know by now.
kups
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:07 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
"As I mentioned in the last report, consistency for both Bynum and Turiaf is something that will take time."

^That may well be the story for this season for all of our young ones.

Thanks for the recap DB!
#2 Lonzo
#28 Derrick White, Jordan Bell, Deonte Burton
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: