Grade our complete draft
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you grade our draft?
A
17%
 17%  [ 21 ]
B
50%
 50%  [ 59 ]
C
20%
 20%  [ 24 ]
D
9%
 9%  [ 11 ]
F
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 117

nextphenom23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:21 am    Post subject: Grade our complete draft

10- Andrew Bynum
37- Ronny Turiaf
39- Von Wafer

* I can see why we draft Bynum because a 7'0 center doesnt come along everyday. He's really big but not athletic. I think that's going to be his downfall. I'm starting to like May, and I think we could've selected May at #10 and had an immediate impact player. But Bynum is a big risk and a project.

* Ronny Turiaf was probably at the top of our board. Ewing and Salim were both gone by the time of our pick. He's going to a good role player for us. He makes the most sense out of all our picks.

* Von Wafer is a mystery pick for us. He's a 2 guard with an attitude problem. He doesnt make since for us, unless he's going to be play the 1 for us. We had Ukic right there for the taking. I was expecting us to take him but we didnt. Instead we get this guy. I dont think he'll last in SPL, I dont expect him to be on our roster.

But what do you grade our draft.

The Spurs will never live up to the dynasty we created
furious
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:26 am    Post subject:

Why do you say he's not athletic? From what I've read he is very athletic.
nextphenom23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:30 am    Post subject:

That's what I thought. But he's really not. From what I hear he's in worsier NBA condition than May is. He really has very little vertical and he has bad footwork. I use to think he could be amare with more size. But now I'm just hoping he's not a bust. But hey he might not be our pick.

The Spurs will never live up to the dynasty we created
AussieLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:43 am    Post subject:

B for now, even though I am happy.

I may upgrade after I see some SPL action!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
PrinceofCrunk
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:47 am    Post subject:

I had make an D!

If u can get Chris Taft at 39, u must pick-him.
He was an potential top-10 pick!
paradox
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:56 am    Post subject:

Definite D

watching how things evolved and us not trading, we should have had Gree, Taft, Turiaf now. thats it.
KA_2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:11 am    Post subject:

Bynum is very athletic for his size. He's got a 33+inch vertical. Additionally, according to Kupchak, he dropped 20 lbs between the McDonald's game and today, which means he's down around 265. At 7 feet? With soft hands and a good attitude from all reports? Hard to pass up on that at 10th.
Sigmund
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:40 am    Post subject:

Passing on Taft in the second round was a HUGE mistake.
bumrusherer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:57 am    Post subject:

probably a C right now.

the potential of the picks is very exciting, but we all know that potential doesnt always go to plan.
nimannn
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:58 am    Post subject:

I give us a C+. He got absolutely no immediate help for the team, and picking Bynum at 10 is a big gamble. Nothing spectacular happened to warrent it a higher grade.

PG - Van-Exel
SG - Eddie Jones
SF - Cedric Ceballos
PF - Elden Campbell
C - Vlade Divac
HRE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:37 am    Post subject:

D.

We wind up w/ Bynum/Turiaf/Wafer when we could have had Green/Taft/Ukic.

I was disgusted when we selected Bynum over Green and Granger.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:15 am    Post subject:

B-

1. Mitch Kupchak showed some risk taking deemed BPAs.
2. The drafting of Bynum, IMHO, was based on the fact that other teams wouldn't trade solid bigmen to the Lakers.
3. Finally drafted average to above average athletic talent.
4. Addressed interior needs in the process.

Why not an A+?

I would've been happier with Granger, Taft, Ukic.
1. All very good athletes.
2. Granger makes immediate impact. Arguably the same for Ukic.
3. Granger and Ukic can defend.
4. Taft is the X-factor 2nd rounder, who has to show something right now in order to warrant an extension on his contract.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
c728
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:46 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
B-

2. The drafting of Bynum, IMHO, was based on the fact that other teams wouldn't trade solid bigmen to the Lakers.

That's pretty hard to dispute. Looks like Booz and Mags are harder to pluck from their teams than Mitch thought.
defencewins
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:19 am    Post subject:

nimannn wrote:
I give us a C+. He got absolutely no immediate help for the team, and picking Bynum at 10 is a big gamble. Nothing spectacular happened to warrent it a higher grade.

Agreed - I thought the idea was to build a team around Kobe. Experts are saying our new center is three years away from being ready. I could be dead in three years. And Kobe will be in his 30s.

I like our number # 2 pick - will help now - we need a banger with some toughness.

Number 3 is a waste, another scorer that can't play "D". Don't we have enough of those on the team already?
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject:

nimannn wrote:

Turiaf should give us immediate help - most analysts say he has an NBA-ready interior-defensive game, but is weak in other areas (offense).
Since he is targeted for the Oakley/Rodman role in the triangle,
his strengths match our immediate needs.
(Not saying he will be a starter - just saying he has the potential to
give us a good 10-20 minutes per game while he improves).

-ThePageDude
BigE32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject:

I would give it a B. I heard that Bynum hired a nutritionist and lost over 20 pounds. I've heard that he was pretty athletic, and he seems to be pretty intelligent (3.6 GPA and likes physics). The fact that he was picking up the triangle offense was nice to hear. I don't have a problem selecting a center. They don't come around too often. Wing players are much easier to find, in my opinion. He could give us someone with a true low post game. I love Turiaf. I think he's going to help us tremendously his with rebounding, effort, and hustle. As for the SG, he has height and seems to have a lot of potential. His attitude needs to improve. I can tell you that I live in Florida and I know that Leonard Hamilton (coach at FSU) is a good recruiter. He recruited this kid so he must have talent. We all know that PJ likes big guards. Some people think that he could be a real sleeper in this draft.
BigE32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject:

I would give it a B. I heard that Bynum hired a nutritionist and lost over 20 pounds. I've heard that he was pretty athletic, and he seems to be pretty intelligent (3.6 GPA and likes physics). The fact that he was picking up the triangle offense was nice to hear. I don't have a problem selecting a center. They don't come around too often. Wing players are much easier to find, in my opinion. He could give us someone with a true low post game. I love Turiaf. I think he's going to help us tremendously his with rebounding, effort, and hustle. As for the SG, he has height and seems to have a lot of potential. His attitude needs to improve. I can tell you that I live in Florida and I know that Leonard Hamilton (coach at FSU) is a good recruiter. He recruited this kid so he must have talent. We all know that PJ likes big guards. Some people think that he could be a real sleeper in this draft.
BigE32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject:

BigE32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject:

[[b]b]I would give it a B. I heard that Bynum hired a nutritionist and lost over 20 pounds. I've heard that he was pretty athletic, and he seems to be pretty intelligent (3.6 GPA and likes physics). The fact that he was picking up the triangle offense was nice to hear. I don't have a problem selecting a center. They don't come around too often. Wing players are much easier to find, in my opinion. He could give us someone with a true low post game. I love Turiaf. I think he's going to help us tremendously with his rebounding, effort, and hustle. As for the SG, he has height and seems to have a lot of potential. His attitude needs to improve. I can tell you that I live in Florida and I know that Leonard Hamilton (coach at FSU) is a good recruiter. He recruited this kid so he must have talent. We all know that PJ likes big guards. Some people think that he could be a real sleeper in this draft.[/b] Remember that we are still in a position to make more moves in the near future because of all of our expiring contracts, not to mention free agency. I'm going to stay optimistic.[/b]
BigE32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject:

utcahoop
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject:

C-

If we were able to get the 17th. and 19th. it could have looked like this:

10- Bynam
17- Granger
19- Green
37- Taft
39- Ukic

Startrout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I can see why we draft Bynum because a 7'0 center doesnt come along everyday. He's really big but not athletic. I think that's going to be his downfall.

What the heck are you talking about? Bynum is athletic. He has a very good vertical for his size. He's intelligent (an honor student), he's got huge hands, pretty good footwork, nice shooting mechanics, a Kareem like baby "Sky Hook" and a Shaq like build (young Shaq). This guy has potential written all over him. What more do you want from a 17 year old prospect? He's raw (he's 17), but he's got all the tools and the IQ to be a great center in this league. He does need to keep building up his body and get in NBA shape (like most all rookies), we just need to give him time to develop, grow and adjust.

Bynum has never played against NBA level competition before so I hope everyone will give him a break if he gets in foul trouble, throws some bad passes and makes other rookie mistakes his first couple of years. But even 5 years from now he'll still only be 22, but will be an experienced veteran with a long future ahead. Because of his unique size and decent athleticism, he maybe able to help us as a backup for a few minutes a game right now.
Ko8e8ryant
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject:

B for the draft
BigE32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject:

I apologize for submitting my post so many times. I was having problems with my computer earlier today.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject:

Solid B, thank God we did not draft Green. The only thing we gambled on was the last pick and not taking Ukic; but i hear he is not an outside shooter anyway.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: