Please Talk to me about this new 2007 Lexus LS
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Please Talk to me about this new 2007 Lexus LS

http://www.lexus.com/allnewls/index.html?section=1

the only thing i dont like is the fact it looks like a Camry.
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject:

Fugly rebadged Toyota with super cool features for passengers in the back... why would you pay for them unless you were going to sit there?
j-dawg
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject:

A ton of info on the car here. This is the Lakersground of the Lexus world.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=178

It's a lot more than a re-badge Toyota. I'll be checking out the car later today actually and will compare it to it's Mercedes and BMW counterparts.
Money$hot!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject:

A lot of gadgets. 8 speed auto overly complex and should've just be a CVT. Rear recliners are nice in the LWB version. Auto park is a gimmick.

Styling is meh (front end is very '97 ES 300), rest is like some kind of montage of current Bimmer (rear flanks) and Mercedes (wheel arches) melted together.

Price is a total disaster $61- $76k! Factor in dealer markup (especially on a new loaded model) and that could easily be $80 - $90k FOR A LEXUS?!? Nope, no thank you.

Alternatives
$57k = BMW 550i
$62k = Benz E550
$67k = Benz CLS550
$76k = BMW 750Li
$85k = Benz S550

Details:
SWB base $61000
Comfort Plus pkg $3620
Nav system/ML audio pkg $5645
Power door & trunk closers $395
TOTAL $70660

LWB base $71000
ML audio $2530
Luxury pkg $2780
TOTAL $76310
LVLAKERFAN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject:

Nice. Lexus has always been a little bland, but it looks like a 7 series beemer from the side. I like it. 380 Horse Power 8-Speed. 0-60 in 5.4 seconds. Good Gas mileage.

I think I'll wait untill they drop the LS 600H. 430 Horsepower.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/04/12/lexus-debuts-20072007-lexus-ls-600h-l/
AD/MORRIS/DUDLEY
GASOL/HARRELL/TINKLE
Coachs:Vogel/Kidd
Sojo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject:

Lexus quality still beats out it's competitor just by being essentially a Toyota...
j-dawg
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: I just drove the car! Here's my review of it

Impressions of the Lexus LS460

Lexus LS 460 (short wheelbase)
Price as tested: $72k ($67k base price)
4 door rear wheel drive luxury sedan

Competition:
BMW 750i = $80k
Mercedes Benz S550 = $86k
Audi A8 = $69k

Impressions
Exterior: The car doesn’t stand out like a Mercedes S550, but it is a gorgeous car. The car does look better in person than in pictures. I could see how people would say it looks like a Camry, but it is more distinctive. The exhaust are cool and unique looking. Relatively bland looking car, but still looks great.
Grade: B

Interior: Wow. This is a first class interior. I’ve seen all 3 of this car’s direct competition, and this interior is the best looking and organized. The sound system is great and the salesman also told me that there was a hard drive that could store up to 2,000 songs. Navagation system is also great. The materials used in the interior is top notch. The layout is excellent and everything is well placed and within reach. Very impressive. I would have liked a bit more rear interior space, but this is the short wheelbase model only.
Grade: A+

Drive
The car has a push button start system. The car is smooth, powerful and responsive, as with the cars in its class. The ride is very smooth and delivers the low end torque they you would expect. I have driven the Benz and the Bimmer, and all 3 cars are almost equal in terms of power. I might give the light edge to the Mercedes, followed by the Lexus and the BMW. But it is close. I have not gotten the chance to drive the Audi. As for cornering, once again, the BMW is the best. The Lexus is a bit behind on this aspect, but these are 4,000+ lb. luxury sedans. But overall, the ride was buttery smooth and the interior noise levels are probably best in class again. Also, considering that this car is targeted towards the 50 year old and over crowd, I don't think handling is as much of a concern as overall smooth ride quality. This is not to say the car handles terribly because it still handles good for a large sedan. Above average in fact, just not on BMW level yet.
Grade: B+

Features
This car, as the salesman told me, is the most technologically advance car out there today. And I agree with that. There were numerous features on this car, but the one that stood out was the parallel parking system. As you’ve probably heard, this is the car that parks itself. I did not do it myself, but the salesman put on a demonstration. It is not difficult, but would take some time to learn. This is a very cool feature.
Grade: A+

Overall
This car is great. It may not have the styling edge of the S class, but all 3 cars look great. But the features of this car along with the best interior in its class make it a great buy. It could be better as far as handling is concern, but ride is smooth and buttery. The car I drove was a short wheelbase model. There was a long wheelbase model with a rear lounge and reclining seats, but it was for a test drive. That one has even more features than the one that I just described. That one should run $87,000, which would put it on par with a base Mercedes S550

I would personally buy this car over the Mercedes because Lexus has a great track record for reliability and the fact that I think this car is as great as the S-class in almost every aspect, with a base price that is almost $20k more. But then again, there are people who buy a Mercedes because it’s a Mercedes. The BMW 7 Series is a car I would personally stay away from because it has been known to be problematic, especially since this bodystyle first came out. I had a friend who bought one brand new and it literally sat in the dealership more than his garage or driveway. It was a disgrace how much trouble a $80k car had. But it does handle beautifully.

Gas mileage is rated at 18 City and 27 Highway, which is great for a car with 380 horsepower. Considering it has all of the bells and whistles for a lower price along with Lexus reliability, this car is great. This car is certainly no Camry, that's for sure. Although the Camry is probably the best car in it's class, it loosk like a bicycle compared to the Lexus LS460. Plus, Lexus provides the best customer service out of anyone. I know this because I have a Lex myself. First rate, first class service

Overall Grade: A
24KaratGold
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject:

j-dawg wrote:
A ton of info on the car here. This is the Lakersground of the Lexus world.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=178

It's a lot more than a re-badge Toyota. I'll be checking out the car later today actually and will compare it to it's Mercedes and BMW counterparts.

I guarantee you there is not as much emotion as LG has.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject:

I wonder if the SC coupe can get the same engine... If it does i would buy that car in a heartbeat the SC is so bad ass
Mr.Tricky
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject:

Pretty nice car, you'll will definatly pull some hoe's in that ride.
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject:

LALakers999 wrote:
I wonder if the SC coupe can get the same engine... If it does i would buy that car in a heartbeat the SC is so bad ass

SC is so bad ass?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject:

shnjb wrote:
LALakers999 wrote:

SC is so bad ass?

hardtop luxury convertible that price tags under 100K

uhm yes.....
j-dawg
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject:

I'm pretty sure the 460 engine will be put on the GS and SC's soon. Lexus is lagging behind in power, so it will be much needed.

But what's really interesting is the IS 500. That should be one serious ride. As a owner of a Lexus GS, I hope they tuck that 5.0 into the GS as well because the IS is simply too small for me.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject:

j-dawg wrote:
I'm pretty sure the 460 engine will be put on the GS and SC's soon. Lexus is lagging behind in power, so it will be much needed.

But what's really interesting is the IS 500. That should be one serious ride. As a owner of a Lexus GS, I hope they tuck that 5.0 into the GS as well because the IS is simply too small for me.

ya i drive a 5 series bimmer.... clean ride however i need more style, i think lexus is the way to go and my eyes are set on the SC...<~~very beautiful car
j-dawg
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject:

LALakers999 wrote:
j-dawg wrote:

ya i drive a 5 series bimmer.... clean ride however i need more style, i think lexus is the way to go and my eyes are set on the SC...<~~very beautiful car

Good choice. The SC has been ranked the most trouble free car by Consumers Reports. It's a great feat, considering it is a hardtop convertable.

I love the drive of BMW's. I almost bought a BMW 540i myself, but was scared away by the electrical issues that have plagued many BMW's, including a friend's 745i which he bought brand new when it first came out. But no other luxury car handles and drives like a BMW. They are certainly the benchmark for driver oriented luxury cars.
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject:

The word "sports" should never be mentioned in the same sentence with the SC.

It's a very rotund car that is favored by many females and others alike who have no clue what a sports car should be
For auto enthusiasts, the car makes absolutely no sense- heavy, overpriced, slow, terrible handling, and so on.

Did I mention that it's been out since 2001?

Bad ass?

Bad, maybe, but not bad ass.
j-dawg
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject:

shnjb wrote:

It's a very rotund car that is favored by many females and others alike who have no clue what a sports car should be
For auto enthusiasts, the car makes absolutely no sense- heavy, overpriced, slow, terrible handling, and so on.

Bad ass?

By that definition, the Mercedes SL500 isn't a sporty car either. It's a luxury hardtop convertable. The SC, the SL and the Caddy XLR are all 4,000 lb. cars. These cars no lightweights. The $200k SL 65 AMG can run 11's, and weighs 4500 lbs. No one said they were sports cars.

These prefer to call these cars sport luxury coupes. I have spent time with the SC, and it's not a bad car at all. You make it sound like it runs 18's on the 1/4 mile and handles like a Chevy Astro. It has a fit and finish that is as good as any car out there up to $100k. And like I said, it's been named the most trouble free car out of any car by consumers report.

It's not all about sport tuned handling. Some people prefer their cars soft and smooth. That's why the Toyota Camry is the top selling car in America, not the Mitsubishi EVO.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject:

j-dawg wrote:
shnjb wrote:

Bad ass?

By that definition, the Mercedes SL500 isn't a sporty car either. It's a luxury hardtop convertable. The SC, the SL and the Caddy XLR are all 4,000 lb. cars. These cars no lightweights. The $200k SL 65 AMG can run 11's, and weighs 4500 lbs. No one said they were sports cars.

These prefer to call these cars sport luxury coupes. I have spent time with the SC, and it's not a bad car at all. You make it sound like it runs 18's on the 1/4 mile and handles like a Chevy Astro. It has a fit and finish that is as good as any car out there up to $100k. And like I said, it's been named the most trouble free car out of any car by consumers report.

It's not all about sport tuned handling. Some people prefer their cars soft and smooth. That's why the Toyota Camry is the top selling car in America, not the Mitsubishi EVO.

thanks J...you took the words out my mouth. Im only 25 and ive outgrown my rice rocket days. I always wanted the OG Sports cars such as the fab 4 (supra, 300zxTT, 3000gt vr-4(GTO), and the RX-7) but i realized they were not practical. overpriced, sucks gas, and you need to spend oodles of cash just to tune them to make em beat a 911 GT-2, and lets not forget the 70,000 price tag to go with the car. I came to my senses when I walked in a Nissan dealership and almost put a DP for a 350zx with a 38G selling price. I thought to my self "Do I really want to spend 40G's for a Nissan?" Thats when I went with the Bimmer. A got a 2003 5 series for 30 Grand with only 8,000 miles on it in Jan of 2004. <~~I dont care who you are nobody could beat the price i paid for my ride.

Now I want the SC... its anything but a females car, sleek, powerful, stylish and it comes with every option you can think of standard... I dont need speed because Im not gonna race any gutted out civics on a 100 shot of N20. AND why do you need to go 200 MPH when the speed limit is 65. Also, Fast supercars dont appeal to me that much after you have driven a yamaha R6 for 3 years.

shnjb..... i never said it was a sports car i always looked it as a luxury car and if you havent seen one with staggered 19 inch deep dish 5 star rims with chrome lips and black on black interior on a sunny day in california...then Im sorry....but it surely is a thing of beauty.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:48 am    Post subject:

I'll disagree about the SC.

I'm all for a refined ride as a daily driver, but since the 90s SC was phased out, I haven't considered that a sport coupe since.

About the 8 speed transmission comment, I'm glad they didn't make it a CVT. I think Toyota/Lexus is dead set on making the CVTs for the hybrids.

The 8 speed is basically a bragging right of technological advancement. If I remember right, it's a lighterweight transmission.

IF I had the money AND was going for the LS, I'd definitely wait for the 600... Hybrid version with the long wheelbase.

But if I had that kind of money in the 1st place, I'd say screw the gas mileage. I'm getting an M5.

About the price being possibly made too high.... Price of steel shot up dramatically during the production of the car. But the one thing about Lexus, you're getting a car you don't have to worry about with quality problems and the proof is all in construction.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FullTests/articleId=117189

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
I'll disagree about the SC.

I'm all for a refined ride as a daily driver, but since the 90s SC was phased out, I haven't considered that a sport coupe since.

whats wrong with it?
j-dawg
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject:

I do agree that the SC is not meant to be a pure sports car. However, I consider it a luxury sports coupe to be along the lines of a Mercedes SL or Cadillac XLR. Whatever you call the SC, it's right there with those 2. They weren't just meant to handle like a 911. It doesn't get the respect from automotive publishers as the SL, but I wonder if it would get the respect if Lexus made a SC 600h (with a next generation smaller hybrid battery)? I think it would. Although the current 288 horsepower is still faster than 80% of cars on the road today. Let's flip the scripe here: the 911 won't ever be as comfortable and smooth as the SC. The fit and finish quality along with high tech gadgets will not even be close either. And some people do actually like it that way. But that's why they're not meant to be compared head to head.

But there is nothing wrong with the SC. I would say comparing the SC and it's Mercedes and Cadillac siblings to a Porsche is apples and oranges. There is a market for the 911 and then there's a market for the SC. Look at cars like the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8. Big heavy SUV that runs what, near 12's? Definately not practical at all, but there is a market for that type of stuff. People looking to buy an Caymen S won't be looking at the SC, and vice versa. People looking to buy a WRX STi won't be looking at the Grand Cherokee SRT8 either.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject:

^^^ I think the sc has 2 more years of production left before they change the body style... within those 2 years i predict them to either put the same engine as the LS with the 340+HP or the IS350 motor with 303 HP. I highly doubt they will make a hybrid model...

I will mos def buy one if they change the engine or not.... if they make an SC... if they dont upgrade the v8 but they make an SC witht he 350 motor I will def buy the one with the most HP.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject:

J... which other company makes a 2+2 hardtop convertible? the SC is perfect if you want to keep premiums low
j-dawg
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject:

There's a rumor that the Sc might be replaced by a whole car in 2 years, but it's just rumors. I agree that a SC600h won't happen. I don't know when a SC460 will happen either. I've only heard of a GS460 so far, and that is scheduled to come out next spring or summer as an '08 model. A salesman told me possibly even fall 2007. Hopefully they both come out at that time with the 4.6 380 horsespower motor. This is nothing groundbreaking, but it is for a company like Lexus, who has always been on the conservative side in terms of powerplant options.

As for cars that have current hardtop convertables (of the top of my mind)

Caddy XLR
Mercedes SL
Mercedes SLK
Lexus SC
Volvo c70
Audi TT
Pontiac G6
BMW 3 Series

Out of those, I believe the Lexus, Pontiac and Volvo are 2+2. Not really sure though. Although for the SC, the backseat is practically useless.

This is not a hardtop convertable, but I really like the looks of the new Jaguar XK. Although it won't have the proven Lexus reliability, it looks great. T

he new BMW 3 Series is also a hardtop 2+2. However, since it's the very popular 3 series, almost everyone in SoCal will have one
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject:

j-dawg wrote:

Out of those, I believe the Lexus, Pontiac and Volvo are 2+2. Not really sure though. Although for the SC, the backseat is practically useless.

i totally agree with you on that... i was in the showroom. and Im 6ft tall with my driver seat adjusted to my position nobody can sit behind me... To me those seats are like extra trunk space or a place where i can i put a mean Sub
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: