Poor Taste in TV

View previous topic :: View next topic  
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Poor Taste in TV

South Park had an episode with the Croc Hunter in the underworld with a stingray barb sticking out of his chest. He has friends and family still in mourning. The South Park guys have poor taste.
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject:

It was to soon for sure, but they have never been scared to go there. Was pretty funny. While I do think its to soon I don't have a big problem with it its a comedy show I don't take it to seriously.
NoMoreGame7s
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject:

Angel - did you see it? And by "it" I mean the clip itself, not a picture of it.

Thanks for the avatar, Hybrid27.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject:

They showed the clip on the news. Would you be comfortable showing that to his daughter? Would you laugh when explaining why he has a stingray barb and blood dripping from his chest? Funny?
Lakers_2000
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject:

I heard one of the most popular Halloween costume is the one Irwin with the stingray coming out of his chest.

People know by now what South Park is about. The Irwin family should know better than to watch a South Park episode right now.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject:

you don't watch south park for sensitivity.

also remember that the show is rated TVMA so little kids shouldn't be watching it anyway. it's not a show for little kids.

i believe that you can joke about anything. i know a lot of people disagree with that but i think that it's important to laugh at things and it helps us get through it.

south park has even touched on this very subject before with their "AIDS is finally funny" episode.

the clip doesn't make fun of steve irwin's death or insult him really. the real punch line of the joke is that satan (who in the ep is playing the part of a spoiled "super sweet 16" girl) actually gets mad at someone for dressing up like steve irwin because even satan thought it was too soon. then when he discovers its actually irwin he kicks him out of the party for not having a costume.

of course the irwin family probably doesn't find it funny, but satire and comedy often poke fun at great people. the same episode had clips of ghandi in hell. i'm sure indian people and relatives of ghandi would find that offensive but i thought it was funny since it is such a ridiculous idea that ghandi would end up in hell.

personally, i find that chevy commercial that uses and exploits images of rosa parks, the world trade center and hurricane katrina to sell trucks FAR more offensive than anything on south park. but that's another thread.
joshman445
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject:

i love south park...its hilarious...and it keeps getting funnier every week...
NoMoreGame7s
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject:

angel wrote:
They showed the clip on the news. Would you be comfortable showing that to his daughter? Would you laugh when explaining why he has a stingray barb and blood dripping from his chest? Funny?

I asked whether you saw it. I didn't say I'd laugh while explaining the clip to his daughter. Ridiculous. His daughter shouldn't be anywhere near ANY episode of South Park. South Park is what it is. The Steve Irwin bit was no more or less offensive than lots of other things that have been on that show. It's not a newsflash that something on South Park offended somebody. That's nothing new. You only took issue with it because you saw it on the news. Therein lies the problem. Clips of South Park shouldn't be on the news. The only people watching that show know to expect that kind of thing, anyhow.

Thanks for the avatar, Hybrid27.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:55 am    Post subject:

We should realize South Park is crude and insensitive? We should accept it for what it is? No! It's like anything else on TV. It's subject to public comment. When we think it's in poor taste, we have a right to express that opinion. When we don't think it's funny, we have a right to our opinion.
B_P
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

also remember that the show is rated TVMA so little kids shouldn't be watching it anyway. it's not a show for little kids.

i believe that you can joke about anything. i know a lot of people disagree with that but i think that it's important to laugh at things and it helps us get through it.

south park has even touched on this very subject before with their "AIDS is finally funny" episode.

the clip doesn't make fun of steve irwin's death or insult him really. the real punch line of the joke is that satan (who in the ep is playing the part of a spoiled "super sweet 16" girl) actually gets mad at someone for dressing up like steve irwin because even satan thought it was too soon. then when he discovers its actually irwin he kicks him out of the party for not having a costume.

of course the irwin family probably doesn't find it funny, but satire and comedy often poke fun at great people. the same episode had clips of ghandi in hell. i'm sure indian people and relatives of ghandi would find that offensive but i thought it was funny since it is such a ridiculous idea that ghandi would end up in hell.

personally, i find that chevy commercial that uses and exploits images of rosa parks, the world trade center and hurricane katrina to sell trucks FAR more offensive than anything on south park. but that's another thread.

JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject:

angel wrote:
We should realize South Park is crude and insensitive? We should accept it for what it is? No! It's like anything else on TV. It's subject to public comment. When we think it's in poor taste, we have a right to express that opinion. When we don't think it's funny, we have a right to our opinion.
Actually all of your comments are true:
We should realize South Park is crude and insensitive? - Yes, it is
We should accept it for what it is? - Yes you should. It is adult humor
It's like anything else on TV. It's subject to public comment. - Yes
When we think it's in poor taste, we have a right to express that opinion. - Yes
When we don't think it's funny, we have a right to our opinion - Yes
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

Well said...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Kobe>Lebron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:38 am    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
angel wrote:
Actually all of your comments are true:
We should realize South Park is crude and insensitive? - Yes, it is
We should accept it for what it is? - Yes you should. It is adult humor
It's like anything else on TV. It's subject to public comment. - Yes
When we think it's in poor taste, we have a right to express that opinion. - Yes
When we don't think it's funny, we have a right to our opinion - Yes

Amen,
South Park is a show that wallows in poor taste, so i am not surprised by this. You can either choose to watch it or ignore it but it is what it is.
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject:

This is worse:

LINK
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject:

i'd like to add that the same episode featured:

-ghandi and george burns in hell
-jeffrey dahmer, john wayne gacy and ted bundy brutally killing about 10 people
-jeffrey dahmer having sex with the corpse of a body he just killed
-catholic priests having a meeting accompanied by children on leashes
-characters getting stabbed, getting their eyeballs ripped out, getting their toungue's ripped out
-biggie smalls attempting to shoot children

but everyone's getting mad about the one steve irwin joke? IT'S SOUTH PARK!!!

btw nobody seemed to get in arms about this clip of norm mcdonald on the daily show....which i found to be pretty funny. and this is about a week after irwin died.

Norm McDonald Talking About Steve Irwin
SenorJefe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:
This is worse:

LINK

Agreed. I like South Park, but didn't personally care for the Steve Irwin humor. Not that I'd criticize them for doing it, I just didn't think it funny at the time. I might laugh my ass off when I see that a few years down the road, but for some reason, was kinda sad when I saw it.

<- is a wimp
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
i'd like to add that the same episode featured:

-ghandi and george burns in hell
-jeffrey dahmer, john wayne gacy and ted bundy brutally killing about 10 people
-jeffrey dahmer having sex with the corpse of a body he just killed
-catholic priests having a meeting accompanied by children on leashes
-characters getting stabbed, getting their eyeballs ripped out, getting their toungue's ripped out
-biggie smalls attempting to shoot children

but everyone's getting mad about the one steve irwin joke? IT'S SOUTH PARK!!!

btw nobody seemed to get in arms about this clip of norm mcdonald on the daily show....which i found to be pretty funny. and this is about a week after irwin died.

Norm McDonald Talking About Steve Irwin
It's funny to see what people take offense too.... catholic priests having a meeting accompanied by children on leashes is 'ok' but just don't make funny of the Croc Hunter...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject:

its south park..not the veggie tales

If they can make fun of religouis figures, why cant htey make fun of someone, whom in this case, is unfortunately dead?

Tastless? perhaps...but people have control over their remote.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject:

thought i'd ressurect this thread since last night's south park took TWO MORE jabs at irwin.

these guys have major cajones. great episode btw.
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject:

I have a feeling the only reason they bothered bringing up Irwin again was because the last episode caught so much flak. I haven't seen it yet, though.

I heard a lot of stuff about the first one before I got a chance to see it (way behind on TiVo stuff) and when I actually saw the episode and the maybe 10 second long Steve Irwin bit, which was in fact a meta joke about how it's too soon to have a Steve Irwin Halloween costume, I couldn't believe it received that much press. First of all, it was funny. And second, they didn't make fun of him in the slightest. He was just there and gone. Considering the things they've done in the past on that show, I'm surprised that anyone even raised an eyebrow about that bit.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject:

^^definitely thought the jokes last night were in reference to the outcry from last ep.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject:

Exick wrote:

...when I actually saw the episode and the maybe 10 second long Steve Irwin bit, which was in fact a meta joke about how it's too soon to have a Steve Irwin Halloween costume, I couldn't believe it received that much press. First of all, it was funny. And second, they didn't make fun of him in the slightest. He was just there and gone. Considering the things they've done in the past on that show, I'm surprised that anyone even raised an eyebrow about that bit.

Perspective? Check. Thank you.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: