Who's the best fighter in the world?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ALF
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:49 am    Post subject:

I don't think he was calling anyone who trains for one year in any discipline a pro. The fact is that some disciplines are more effective than others. A student who has trained one year in BJJ will most likely have an advantage over someone who has trained one year in TKD.

Fighters can definately strengthen their legs but if you get hit flush by a kick from someone who has equally as strong legs, you aren't going to be able to take many more. Watch videos of top kickboxers like Mirko Crocop and see some of his leg kicks.

You have to remember that when a boxer takes a punch, they are wearing full size gloves. Most would go down from the same punches if their opponent was wearing smaller gloves. Also, you can't really train your chin. You either have a good one or you don't. I'm not saying you can't learn how to tuck your chin or roll with the punches but getting knocked out is beyond a person's control.

I agree with your comments about the lack of great strikers in MMA. The sport is evolving and more and more fighters are learning better boxing and Muay Thai technique. The problem is a pro boxer who jumps straight into MMA wouldn't stand a chance because he would not have the wrestling technique to stop a takedown. Fighters like Matt Lindland, Dan Henderson, Mark Coleman, etc. are great wrestlers that would be able to take any boxer to the ground. Once there, a boxer wouldn't stand a chance.

I think the distinction between MMA and boxing needs to be made. MMA fighters fighting in a strict boxing match would get demolished but the reverse is true also. Boxing and MMA are two different sports.
methdxman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:43 am    Post subject:

Dim mak, death touch, chi... all that is just B.S. and has been proven time and time again.

If I was 5 years old, I would probably believe in something like that.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject:

methdxman wrote:
Dim mak, death touch, chi... all that is just B.S. and has been proven time and time again.

death touch or no death touch.

there are pressure points in everyones body. If I know how to attack those points. I am not just being on the offensive. but I am also defending myself. If i lets say grab you under the arm pits in the right spot. you will pray for me to let go. and i dont have to be super strong to do it. that means, you will be trying to make sure i dont get undernearth those arm pits. so that will hinder your attack. see its one thing to go thru a hit. its another for someone to apply pressure to one's pressure points. Thats another ball game.

you ever see when guys are on the ground and in holds. that you still usually have your hands? see there's rules to stop you from grabbing any part of ones body. first and foremost. if a person wants to win. he can just go for the ......

and call it the day. or for the eyes. see its one thing to fight, to earn points. or to ko a guy without severly hurting him. its another to go all out trying to take the guy out. there are some people out there that can't walk the fine line. thats why they're no good for mma. but they would put something on you if it was in the streets.
NoMoreGame7s
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:

death touch or no death touch.

there are pressure points in everyones body. If I know how to attack those points. I am not just being on the offensive. but I am also defending myself. If i lets say grab you under the arm pits in the right spot. you will pray for me to let go. and i dont have to be super strong to do it. that means, you will be trying to make sure i dont get undernearth those arm pits. so that will hinder your attack. see its one thing to go thru a hit. its another for someone to apply pressure to one's pressure points. Thats another ball game.

you ever see when guys are on the ground and in holds. that you still usually have your hands? see there's rules to stop you from grabbing any part of ones body. first and foremost. if a person wants to win. he can just go for the ......

and call it the day. or for the eyes. see its one thing to fight, to earn points. or to ko a guy without severly hurting him. its another to go all out trying to take the guy out. there are some people out there that can't walk the fine line. thats why they're no good for mma. but they would put something on you if it was in the streets.

Have you told Smush about those pressure points? Maybe he'd like to use them on Sasha, or Dr. Buss. Then maybe Dr. Buss will beg Smush for mercy, and he can demand more money so he can afford an Aston Martin instead of the Smushcalade.

Thanks for the avatar, Hybrid27.
LA NATIVE
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject:

The best fighter in the world actually doesn't fight at all, he defeats his enemy with his mind. And no not the guy from Scanners.
When they ask me about Shaq, I say, 'I love Shaq, but [screw] Miami.' It is what it is. I'm a Laker and I bleed purple and gold and if you ain't down with the Lakers, f--- you, straight up.-Snoop Dogg
F Snaq
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject:

Ted wrote:
JD wrote:
Ted wrote:

You can make that same arguement with anything. We could say that right now Kobe Bryant is not the best basketball player on the planet, because somewhere out there, there is some guy whose been practicing basketball his entire life but doesn't feel the need to prove anything, which is why he isn't in the NBA. Well fact of the matter is, no one cares about that guy. We only care about what we see, and as far as I can tell, Kobe Bryant is the best basketball player on the planet. As for these 60 year old badasses, care to mention a few that would handle their own in any MMA match? I am genuinely interested.

Pretty lame analogy, since basketball's sole purpose is to be a competitive sport. If someone put in such dedication, to the game of basketball, they would be known on some level... not buried in self-imposed obscurity.

And have you been paying attention? How am I going name 60 y/o badasses, that you (or I have) heard of. The one example I brought up, was someone I knew personally, who was a martial arts instructor.

I never said MMA guys are the biggest badasses on the planet, which is why when I started this thread, I specifically asked who the best fighter is regardless of which style they fight. I wanted to get a discussion going, and now we have one. I just don't agree with you that there are some 60 year old guys who have been studying martial arts their entire lives who can beat any fighter in the world, just because they've been practicing for so long. That's all hypothetical. There are great fighters in all types of martial arts, kung fu, jujitsu, etc... Sure there may be some old chinese dude who can beat an MMA fighter, but there are also MMA fighters (and not only MMA) that can hand that old chinese guy his ass.

Quote:
Go on thinking your MMA guys are the biggest badasses on the planet. I couldn't care less. However, one of these days, you'll gain the wisdom to know otherwise.

Maybe one of these days I'll gain enough wisdom to be just as combative as you, regarding any topic I disagree with.

Ted I'm with you on this. My mother is Chinese and part of my childhood was spent living in Hong Kong for a few years. And in those few years, we'd frequently visit relatives in China, most of them living around the Jiangxi province. I've been all over China though. In all my years there, I've never seen any kung-fu, martial arts, "baddest dude" types of people anywhere. Not in the cities, nor did I see any in the small villages. I honestly didn't see or know of any 60 year olds who were too "humble" to flaunt or display any of their skills. My grandfather didn't even know martial arts, and none of the people around him did. Heck, one my mother's brothers knew nothing of martial arts, and used to watch WWF with me when I was little. He would practice wrestling moves and pretend he was the Ultimate Warrior, then run around trying to wrestle people in the neighborhood. I don't understand why people outside of China get this notion that every Chinese dude must know Kung Fu or some form of martial arts. I used to get asked questions about knowing martial arts from kids in elementary school when I came back here in the States. Even today, just because I'm half Chinese, some of my friends tend to believe that some relative on my mother's side was probably a walking, killing-machine. It's absurd.

I guess a lot of people just enjoy glorifying, or stretching the truth at least, when it comes to martial arts. Case in point, Bruce Lee. He was an ACTOR. Granted he was a great martial artist, I'll give him that, but the bulk of his popularity and legend came about through him being the "hero" in movies, where mostly everything is directed, coordinated, and orchestrated even before the film starts rolling. His death only catapulted his legend. Death does that to popular people, of whom are at the top, or are rising in their craft. Anyway, that's running away from the subject.

From my own observations, not many, if any, of these local martial arts instructors have a great chance against these MMA guys in the UFC/Pride cage. Conditioning, strength, rigorous training, infusion of many techniques, etc., all of these factor into it. I doubt somebody like Chuck Norris, who is around 60, and has been training for most of his life, can beat somebody like Vanderlei Silva or even Royce Gracie, before he retired. Hell, a 20 year old Mike Tyson would probably murder any martial arts instructor, regardless of age. But hey, this world is made up of well over 6 BILLION people. So it is definitely possible that somebody, someone, somewhere out there, is a person walking around not knowing that he's probably the most dangerous "fighter" on this planet.
NBA referees are a detriment to the integrity and essence of the game of basketball. It is our duty, as fans of this sacred game, to eviscerate each and every one of these treacherous maggots, if ever we cross paths with any of them in our lives.
Mr.Tricky
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject:

F Snaq wrote:
Ted wrote:
JD wrote:
Ted wrote:

You can make that same arguement with anything. We could say that right now Kobe Bryant is not the best basketball player on the planet, because somewhere out there, there is some guy whose been practicing basketball his entire life but doesn't feel the need to prove anything, which is why he isn't in the NBA. Well fact of the matter is, no one cares about that guy. We only care about what we see, and as far as I can tell, Kobe Bryant is the best basketball player on the planet. As for these 60 year old badasses, care to mention a few that would handle their own in any MMA match? I am genuinely interested.

Pretty lame analogy, since basketball's sole purpose is to be a competitive sport. If someone put in such dedication, to the game of basketball, they would be known on some level... not buried in self-imposed obscurity.

And have you been paying attention? How am I going name 60 y/o badasses, that you (or I have) heard of. The one example I brought up, was someone I knew personally, who was a martial arts instructor.

I never said MMA guys are the biggest badasses on the planet, which is why when I started this thread, I specifically asked who the best fighter is regardless of which style they fight. I wanted to get a discussion going, and now we have one. I just don't agree with you that there are some 60 year old guys who have been studying martial arts their entire lives who can beat any fighter in the world, just because they've been practicing for so long. That's all hypothetical. There are great fighters in all types of martial arts, kung fu, jujitsu, etc... Sure there may be some old chinese dude who can beat an MMA fighter, but there are also MMA fighters (and not only MMA) that can hand that old chinese guy his ass.

Quote:
Go on thinking your MMA guys are the biggest badasses on the planet. I couldn't care less. However, one of these days, you'll gain the wisdom to know otherwise.

Maybe one of these days I'll gain enough wisdom to be just as combative as you, regarding any topic I disagree with.

Ted I'm with you on this. My mother is Chinese and part of my childhood was spent living in Hong Kong for a few years. And in those few years, we'd frequently visit relatives in China, most of them living around the Jiangxi province. I've been all over China though. In all my years there, I've never seen any kung-fu, martial arts, "baddest dude" types of people anywhere. Not in the cities, nor did I see any in the small villages. I honestly didn't see or know of any 60 year olds who were too "humble" to flaunt or display any of their skills. My grandfather didn't even know martial arts, and none of the people around him did. Heck, one my mother's brothers knew nothing of martial arts, and used to watch WWF with me when I was little. He would practice wrestling moves and pretend he was the Ultimate Warrior, then run around trying to wrestle people in the neighborhood. I don't understand why people outside of China get this notion that every Chinese dude must know Kung Fu or some form of martial arts. I used to get asked questions about knowing martial arts from kids in elementary school when I came back here in the States. Even today, just because I'm half Chinese, some of my friends tend to believe that some relative on my mother's side was probably a walking, killing-machine. It's absurd.

I guess a lot of people just enjoy glorifying, or stretching the truth at least, when it comes to martial arts. Case in point, Bruce Lee. He was an ACTOR. Granted he was a great martial artist, I'll give him that, but the bulk of his popularity and legend came about through him being the "hero" in movies, where mostly everything is directed, coordinated, and orchestrated even before the film starts rolling. His death only catapulted his legend. Death does that to popular people, of whom are at the top, or are rising in their craft. Anyway, that's running away from the subject.

From my own observations, not many, if any, of these local martial arts instructors have a great chance against these MMA guys in the UFC/Pride cage. Conditioning, strength, rigorous training, infusion of many techniques, etc., all of these factor into it. I doubt somebody like Chuck Norris, who is around 60, and has been training for most of his life, can beat somebody like Vanderlei Silva or even Royce Gracie, before he retired. Hell, a 20 year old Mike Tyson would probably murder any martial arts instructor, regardless of age. But hey, this world is made up of well over 6 BILLION people. So it is definitely possible that somebody, someone, somewhere out there, is a person walking around not knowing that he's probably the most dangerous "fighter" on this planet.
Great post, I also am half Chinese, and I think it is so funny the way ignorant people think we all know kung fu or sumthin. Lets be real the MMA fighters of today are the best NHB fighters in the world...The idiots who keep saying there is some Chinese monk out there who could whip anyone, knows nuthin about fighting and nuthing about culture. It is just plain ignorance. It's like every rich black dude has to rap or play ball.....C'mon people stereotypes are played out.
SenorJefe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject:

casH wrote:

He probably resides in the Mountains of Tibet or in the Shaolin Temple.

^true story
Mr.Tricky
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject:

SenorJefe wrote:
casH wrote:

^true story
F Snaq
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject:

Mr.Tricky wrote:
SenorJefe wrote:
casH wrote:

^true story

Yeah, you know how it is.
NBA referees are a detriment to the integrity and essence of the game of basketball. It is our duty, as fans of this sacred game, to eviscerate each and every one of these treacherous maggots, if ever we cross paths with any of them in our lives.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject:

Mr.Tricky wrote:
F Snaq wrote:
Ted wrote:
JD wrote:
Ted wrote:

Quote:

Great post, I also am half Chinese, and I think it is so funny the way ignorant people think we all know kung fu or sumthin. Lets be real the MMA fighters of today are the best NHB fighters in the world...The idiots who keep saying there is some Chinese monk out there who could whip anyone, knows nuthin about fighting and nuthing about culture. It is just plain ignorance. It's like every rich black dude has to rap or play ball.....C'mon people stereotypes are played out.

True, but you can't to offended by this stereotype. because its not a negative one. and the reason people will hold onto it. Is because Martial artists are real life Super Heroes. Who doesn't want to become or know a real life super heroe? In addition people like secrets. thats why the love to sensationalize things as an "ancient chinese secret".

I still believe some 60 yr old in the most eastern portion of china is a walking killing machine. if you touch him the wrong way, he will Death Touch you. let me keep my dreams alive.
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject:

Obviously some of you are ignorant to Bruce Lee's early history and the supposed idea that he was nothing more than a "hollywood" martial arts master.

Like I said... keep on believing these MMA guys are the cream of the crop and the baddest dudes on the planet.
Mr.Tricky
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject:

JD wrote:
Obviously some of you are ignorant to Bruce Lee's early history and the supposed idea that he was nothing more than a "hollywood" martial arts master.

Like I said... keep on believing these MMA guys are the cream of the crop and the baddest dudes on the planet.
I have trained in traditional Martial Arts (hapkido,kung fu) and I now train in MMA, there is no comparison. MMA fighters train 10 times as hard, 10 times as ruff, and 20 times more realistic....By my own experience MMA dudes are way tuffer.
TheRod
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject:

JD wrote:

I read that Bruce Lee comment and thought I would just let it die. But since you brought it up...I gotta say it:

Bruce Lee was one of the baddest MF'ers in the world. His cockiness was so reputable that whenever he was in china dudes would constantly challenge him to street fights, and he would ALWAYS win...regardless of who it was, how big they were, or the style of martial arts they knew. It didn't matter....Bruce would distroy them.

As far as MMA...I gotta agree with JD....you guys keep believing what you want...
F Snaq
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
"keep on believing these MMA guys are the cream of the crop and the baddest dudes on the planet"

Quote:
"you guys keep believing what you want..."

"Keep on believing alien UFOs don't exist."

Unless we're presented with absolute, consummate, authentically-enforced and documented, corporeal proof, then MMA guys are the real deal, and the best KNOWN fighters in the world today. Where are these 60-year old "baddest dudes" on the planet?
statman
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject:

F Snaq wrote:

Unless we're presented with absolute, consummate, authentically-enforced and documented, corporeal proof, then MMA guys are the real deal, and the best KNOWN fighters in the world today. Where are these 60-year old "baddest dudes" on the planet?

Agreed. The mystique surrounding martial arts is almost like religion or magic-- from things like the "death touch" to ancient masters living in the woods. May as well say these guys can levitate and throw fireballs, it's the same nonsense.

Hand to hand combat is just like any other athletic feat, its a mixture of genetics, strength, technique, and, most importantly, training. Why should it be so shocking that the best fighters in the world are the people in peak physical condition who train to fight for a living? Is it because they don't know some ancient Tibetian flying palm technique?

This reminds me of a discussion I had back in high school, when Mike Tyson was in his prime. Some people there actually thought that Van Damme could defeat him, "since he's a black belt, dude". LOL.
Tark the Shark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject:

This topic just keeps going in circles because you all mix up sport and street fight. I'm sure Tyson could've knocked out Bruce Lee and Lee could've done the same to Tyson. Sometimes it's the guy with skills and other times it's the guy with a nasty uppercut and an iron chin.

Usually, you give the advantage to the guy with training. After a minute a guy with no training is usually gassed. I'm sure there are plenty of guys that can beat up Tito Ortiz in a street fight, but if he doesn't get hurt or knocked out in the first couple minutes against an untrained guy, Tito will win.

Take Tank Abbott as an example. Great street fighter, good heart, and strong but gas him out and you can beat him. If I fought Tank, I'd run away like a madman and hope he chased me for the next 10 miles. After that I'd take my only shot and try to kick him in the nuts to put him down.
statman
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject:

I think the assumption here is that if take two guys and put them in a room or a ring or something, who's left standing? My money is on the guy who actually does this type of thing all day. These MMA guys-- at least those from the early days when they let everything go except for maybe nuts stuff-- are on top of the gameplan when it comes to one-on-one fighting techniques.

Now, if you are talking no-holds barred "street" fighting, then my money is on the guy with the biggest gun. Of course I'm sure some would contend that an old Chinese wizard could even beat THAT guy with his five point exploding palm technique.
methdxman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:45 am    Post subject:

Bruce Lee was exceptionally strong and quick, but if he got taken down by Fedor just once, I doubt he could do anything on the floor.

Fedor is 0 flash but all results. I am convinced that he could beat anyone in the world in a street fight. The guy just has too much speed, balance, strength, etc.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
dle7
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:35 am    Post subject:

methdxman wrote:
Bruce Lee was exceptionally strong and quick, but if he got taken down by Fedor just once, I doubt he could do anything on the floor.

Fedor is 0 flash but all results. I am convinced that he could beat anyone in the world in a street fight. The guy just has too much speed, balance, strength, etc.

^^ 100% agree. However will be quite difficult for fedor to take bruce lee down, way to quick and agile. With that said though, if fedor did happen to take bruce down, not much bruce can do i dont think.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject:

methdxman wrote:

"what the hell is a DIM MACK?"

Blood Sport is probably the best unintentional Comedic martial arts movie ever made...better than Kung Pao..

okay USA!

So I just had my first PRIDE experience...it was awesome..

these fighters are on a different level than UFC.

I saw Fedor destroy Cro-crop and Arona beat Silva who hadn't lost in like 5 years...Arona later went on to lose to Shogun..but I think he spent all his energy and emotion fighting silva..he had nothing left for shogun. They fought twice in one night!! ridiculous..
methdxman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject:

dle7 wrote:
methdxman wrote:

^^ 100% agree. However will be quite difficult for fedor to take bruce lee down, way to quick and agile. With that said though, if fedor did happen to take bruce down, not much bruce can do i dont think.

I will amend my post... Fedor would absolutely destroy Bruce Lee. It wouldn't even be close... And I am a big Bruce Lee fan, don't get me wrong.
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject:

Well everything depends. If it's no rules, no cage, no referees, I am sure there are some quick, illegally placed strikes that can kill or knock a man unconscious.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject:

i think you guys are forgetting about pai mei.

the five points palm exploding heart technique is quite deadly.
Triumph
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject:

Emelianenko lost today....Aleks that is.

Fedor's little bro got subbed by BJJ wizard Fabricio Werdum.

Thugnomoe wrote:

"what the hell is a DIM MACK?"

Blood Sport is probably the best unintentional Comedic martial arts movie ever made...better than Kung Pao..

okay USA!

I love that movie too, but did you guys know that it was all made up? Not even just the Hollywood embellishments standard for an action film, like none of it was even remotely factual. Frank Dux is some pathological liar and there is no evidence that an underground full contact invitational fighting tournament (kumite) or Dux's sensei even existed. When I discovered this, I was devastated. It was like learning about Santa.

Quote:
So I just had my first PRIDE experience...it was awesome..

these fighters are on a different level than UFC.

I saw Fedor destroy Cro-crop and Arona beat Silva who hadn't lost in like 5 years...Arona later went on to lose to Shogun..but I think he spent all his energy and emotion fighting silva..he had nothing left for shogun. They fought twice in one night!! ridiculous..

You picked a good event for your first one. That was Final Conflict Absolute 2005, right? Shogun had the best year that any mixed martial arts fighter has ever had in 2005. He dominated. His fight with lil Nog earlier in the tourney is one of the best MMA fights ever. I think Shogun is the most exciting fighter in MMA. He is constantly pressing the action and does not gas. And he tries things no one else does.

I will disagree about the fighters being at a different level than UFC. Chuck in particular can hang with any of PRIDE's middleweights. Nobody outclasses him at 205. He might lose a couple fights here and there, but he would also win a good amount. Babalu would also do well, he just matches up really poorly (and has the dumbest game plan) when he fights Chuck. But he holds an impressive win over Shogun early in Rua's MMA career.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: