Who's the best fighter in the world?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:27 am    Post subject: Who's the best fighter in the world?

This is to all the fighting heads here, pride, boxing, ufc, whatever. I want to find out who the best fighter is, not any of that pound for pound stuff, I mean, if you put this guy into a fight with anyone else, he would win. If you took all of the best fighters in the world, who would come out on top? I'm going to put my money on Fedor Emelianenko, that guy has too much strength. What do you guys think?

Fedor
Sojo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:48 am    Post subject:

There is no doubt, until Fedor is beaten again it's him.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject:

Me.
vvbandit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject:

Fedor, hands down. He fights in Pride for those who dont know
brutella
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject:

Fedor definitely....
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject:

Bruce Lee. Dude's still alive... somewhere.

MIM
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:

MIM

how bout jet li?
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:

MIM

him and brandon are chillin somewhere...
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject:

Best fighter in the world? We've probably never heard of him, as he doesn't have anything to prove.
Sojo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject:

There's a baseball team with nothing to prove in Africa somewhere....they can probably beat the Cardinals...but they don't have anything to prove.

brutella
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject:

JD wrote:
Best fighter in the world? We've probably never heard of him, as he doesn't have anything to prove.

He probably resides in the Mountains of Tibet or in the Shaolin Temple.
Sojo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject:

casH wrote:
JD wrote:

Probably not seeing as how most traditional martial arts (TMA) have been show to not be effective in real street fight scenarios. Granted MMA does not have the more mental or spiritual aspects some of the TMA but it has long been known that the "mystical" aspects of what you see in movies or read about from legends are mainly a bunch of hooey.
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject:

Sojo wrote:
casH wrote:
JD wrote:

Probably not seeing as how most traditional martial arts (TMA) have been show to not be effective in real street fight scenarios. Granted MMA does not have the more mental or spiritual aspects some of the TMA but it has long been known that the "mystical" aspects of what you see in movies or read about from legends are mainly a bunch of hooey.

Because the only martial arts you've ever seen are a) Hollywood and b) performed by people that have been studying at most 10-15 years. There are guys out there, that have been studying since they were 3 y/o old and are in their 40s-50s and 60s, that would hand those MMA guys their asses.

Baddest dude I ever knew was a old chinese dude in his 60s. He didn't go around flaunting it, however... and only time you really saw how badass he was, was when he was proving a point (like humbling someone).
dle7
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject:

may not be the best fighter, but my favorite is Tony Ja.
Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject:

JD wrote:
Sojo wrote:
casH wrote:
JD wrote:

Because the only martial arts you've ever seen are a) Hollywood and b) performed by people that have been studying at most 10-15 years. There are guys out there, that have been studying since they were 3 y/o old and are in their 40s-50s and 60s, that would hand those MMA guys their asses.

Baddest dude I ever knew was a old chinese dude in his 60s. He didn't go around flaunting it, however... and only time you really saw how badass he was, was when he was proving a point (like humbling someone).

You can make that same arguement with anything. We could say that right now Kobe Bryant is not the best basketball player on the planet, because somewhere out there, there is some guy whose been practicing basketball his entire life but doesn't feel the need to prove anything, which is why he isn't in the NBA. Well fact of the matter is, no one cares about that guy. We only care about what we see, and as far as I can tell, Kobe Bryant is the best basketball player on the planet. As for these 60 year old badasses, care to mention a few that would handle their own in any MMA match? I am genuinely interested.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject:

BAS RUTTEN!!!

dang-a de-danga de-dang!!!
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject:

Ted wrote:

You can make that same arguement with anything. We could say that right now Kobe Bryant is not the best basketball player on the planet, because somewhere out there, there is some guy whose been practicing basketball his entire life but doesn't feel the need to prove anything, which is why he isn't in the NBA. Well fact of the matter is, no one cares about that guy. We only care about what we see, and as far as I can tell, Kobe Bryant is the best basketball player on the planet. As for these 60 year old badasses, care to mention a few that would handle their own in any MMA match? I am genuinely interested.

Pretty lame analogy, since basketball's sole purpose is to be a competitive sport. If someone put in such dedication, to the game of basketball, they would be known on some level... not buried in self-imposed obscurity.

And have you been paying attention? How am I going name 60 y/o badasses, that you (or I have) heard of. The one example I brought up, was someone I knew personally, who was a martial arts instructor.

Go on thinking your MMA guys are the biggest badasses on the planet. I couldn't care less. However, one of these days, you'll gain the wisdom to know otherwise.
Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject:

JD wrote:
Ted wrote:

Pretty lame analogy, since basketball's sole purpose is to be a competitive sport. If someone put in such dedication, to the game of basketball, they would be known on some level... not buried in self-imposed obscurity.

And have you been paying attention? How am I going name 60 y/o badasses, that you (or I have) heard of. The one example I brought up, was someone I knew personally, who was a martial arts instructor.

I never said MMA guys are the biggest badasses on the planet, which is why when I started this thread, I specifically asked who the best fighter is regardless of which style they fight. I wanted to get a discussion going, and now we have one. I just don't agree with you that there are some 60 year old guys who have been studying martial arts their entire lives who can beat any fighter in the world, just because they've been practicing for so long. That's all hypothetical. There are great fighters in all types of martial arts, kung fu, jujitsu, etc... Sure there may be some old chinese dude who can beat an MMA fighter, but there are also MMA fighters (and not only MMA) that can hand that old chinese guy his ass.

Quote:
Go on thinking your MMA guys are the biggest badasses on the planet. I couldn't care less. However, one of these days, you'll gain the wisdom to know otherwise.

Maybe one of these days I'll gain enough wisdom to be just as combative as you, regarding any topic I disagree with.
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject:

Ted wrote:

Quote:

Maybe one of these days I'll gain enough wisdom to be just as combative as you, regarding any topic I disagree with.

Again... follow the thread. I made a simple comment. The disagreement came from elsewhere... incl. you.
Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject:

JD wrote:
Ted wrote:

Quote:

Again... follow the thread. I made a simple comment. The disagreement came from elsewhere... incl. you.

OK, Sensei.
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject:

Keep it up, sparky.
F Snaq
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject:

Sensei and Sparky LOL!
NBA referees are a detriment to the integrity and essence of the game of basketball. It is our duty, as fans of this sacred game, to eviscerate each and every one of these treacherous maggots, if ever we cross paths with any of them in our lives.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject:

i eat 60 year olds for breakfast.
Sojo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject:

JD wrote:
Sojo wrote:
casH wrote:
JD wrote:

*Cough* Sorry my friend but i've put a lot of study into it and unfortunately most of these people (even studying since 3) would get their rear handed to them. Bruce Lee knew this, hence he went around preaching JKD because he knew TMA hadn't progressed in many many years. Kung Fu, karate, TKD and other TMA just can't match up because they have no defense once you get them on the ground. That and other match up problems. I understand the reluctance of people to believe that a MA around for thousands of years can be usurped by relatively new "styles" but that's how it is. Although Muay Thai has held up quite well due to the clinch.
Sojo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject:

I'm not trying to put down other martial arts and such but it's a case of stagnation. Even the pioneers of MMA back in the late 80's early 90's cannot stand up to the best MMA fighters of today using what they used back when. This was no where better showcased in Royce Gracie who was beaten by Matt Hughes. And Royce Gracie when around kicking all sorts of arses to prove the viability of BJJ, especially the older MA's.

It's like the end of the Shogunate and samurai in Japan back in the day. Here they thought they're way of fighting would go on forever. Unfortunately times change and that change caught them off guard and literally swept them away from the forefront of Japanese culture.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: