HORNETS -at- LAKERS -- 10/20 -- Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject:

angel wrote:

Mo Evans is a steal for that #51 pick!

With players like Mo Evans and Turiaf, the team has much much better depth than in the past couple of years.

I am excited about Evans, he was a steal for the 51 (Samb) for sure in my opinion, even if Samb turns out to be a good player. I could see Evans making a big name for himself here like Bell in Phoenix.
LakerSince72
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject:

expertla wrote:
As usual, great recap DB. Need I say Mo?
Ditto!
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:

There is alot of progress for the rest of the team, good signs from different players each night. Last night, Mo Evans really found a rhythm on offense. Is it just me, or does he look to be a more solid all around player than Marcus Banks that many on this board were wishing for? Not bad for a LATE second rounder...

its amazing that in a thread several people were saying that this team ISNT deep. what games are they watching? 8 injured players on the bench and they're beating people and getting very good performances from plugged in starters and bench players? winning with an 18 y/o big, kobe's understudy, a kid pg who we were told would be in the nbdl, guys people wanted to give away (cook, sasha), shooting good percentages each game? sure its pre-season but i'm looking at each individuals talent. luke wont score 20 but seems to have enough confidence to score from anywhere at anytime.

and yes we've heard lots of pissin' and moanin' that we should have signed marcus banks. i saw him against the lakers and it made me glad we didnt sign him. i'm glad mitch is a better gee em than our pissers and moaners would be.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
angel wrote:

Mo Evans is a steal for that #51 pick!

With players like Mo Evans and Turiaf, the team has much much better depth than in the past couple of years.

I am excited about Evans, he was a steal for the 51 (Samb) for sure in my opinion, even if Samb turns out to be a good player. I could see Evans making a big name for himself here like Bell in Phoenix.

i've preached patience (with bynum, sasha, rony, luke, kwame, smush, and yes...... even cook) but i'd rather have evans now than wait for samb to gain 70 lbs so he can be an effective center in a few years.

there was a poll earlier in the summer and people were guessing who was going to be the steal of the lakers draft/acquisitions.....pinnock, farmar, or evans. it was seeming like farmar but evans is giving him a run for his $$.
Pappy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject:

cant imagine Mo seeing many minutes as Kobe's backup unless Kobe goes down. what role do you see Mo playing if they try to put him out on the floor with Kobe, who sits, whats the full lineup? if Kobe goes to the 3, I guess Vlad and Luke sit?
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject:

Pappy wrote:
cant imagine Mo seeing many minutes as Kobe's backup unless Kobe goes down. what role do you see Mo playing if they try to put him out on the floor with Kobe, who sits, whats the full lineup? if Kobe goes to the 3, I guess Vlad and Luke sit?

i think matchups will dictate who plays against who. against smaller more athletic forwards, kobe may may play the 3 spot with mo playing the 2. that could happen when you want your hustling, defensive, comeback initiating squad in the game. i'm not sure how many consistent minutes he'll get but it'll be a team effort if they're all healthy. luke, rad, cook, evans, and all of 'em can compete for the small forward spot at times.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:42 am    Post subject:

DB - Enjoying your consistently insightful perspectives

Re: Bynum
What combination of players do you think would be best for Drew - an "Energy Team" (w/Farmar, Evans, Luke andTuriaff) or an "Experienced Team (w/Kobe, LO, Vlad & Smush/Sasha/Evans/Farmar)?

Re: Cook
Does anybody see any tangible improvements in Cook's game that he use when his shot is not falling? His "D" in the paint still appears to be based on playing "positional defense" (ala Brad Miller, etc.), his rebounding skills still is weak and his passing skills gets a "C."

Re: Evans
The man has skills, just where/when he will be playing 1) Behind Kobe (fighting Sasha for PT); 2) Behind Smush (fighting Sasha/Jordan for PT); 3) At SF (fighting Vlad and Luke for PT)?
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:03 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:

Re: Bynum
What combination of players do you think would be best for Drew - an "Energy Team" (w/Farmar, Evans, Luke andTuriaff) or an "Experienced Team (w/Kobe, LO, Vlad & Smush/Sasha/Evans/Farmar)?

Having some shooters and guys who can cut that he can find with passes, having guys who can slash and create for him will help. He may be a young kid, but the he gets the D to collapse on him a lot. Having players that can take advantage of that in one way or another would be helpful. You are going to need scorers since he isn't a major threat right now. Defensively, you probably want guys who are good at rotating and crashing the defensive glass, so that he can try to patrol the paint and contest some shoots.

Quote:

Re: Cook
Does anybody see any tangible improvements in Cook's game that he use when his shot is not falling? His "D" in the paint still appears to be based on playing "positional defense" (ala Brad Miller, etc.), his rebounding skills still is weak and his passing skills gets a "C."

I don't see any change. He wanted to be a little lighter so he can be more mobile defensively, but nothing has really stuck out in my mind of any kind of improvement yet.

Quote:

Re: Evans
The man has skills, just where/when he will be playing 1) Behind Kobe (fighting Sasha for PT); 2) Behind Smush (fighting Sasha/Jordan for PT); 3) At SF (fighting Vlad and Luke for PT)?

He will fill in at both SG and SF where they can find minutes. George got a lot of minutes last year by taking some defensive load off of Kobe, while playing along side him. Perhaps, you will see Evans earn some minutes in that regard...guys that maybe Radmanovic, Sasha or Luke may have some difficulty with at the 2/3 spots. It will definitely be a juggling act to get some minutes for certain players, he is one of them.
RYZ
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:57 am    Post subject:

Thanks, DB.

Evans was nice and showed what he was capable of offensively, but realistically, that's not what you're going to get out of him nightly; and I don't mean the amount of points, either. He's got that funky, Caron Butler, 45 degree arm angle jumper that can be effective when you get in a groove early, but is hard to be consistent with when getting spotty playing time. And once Kobe returns, I expect Evans's playing time to become a bit uneven. He really seems like a good team guy, though.

It was encouraging to see Farmar stand tough and finish strong despite a really bad beginning to his game. But more importantly, it was crucial to see Smush finally react to Farmar's recent performances with some vim of his own.

The most pleasing aspect to me though, was how well the Lakers competed overall again against a team at full strength and actually pulled out a W this time. Bodes well for success upon Kobe's return. I think.
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:26 am    Post subject:

With the rash of injuries I could see a starting lineup of:

Smush
Evans
Kobe
Lamar
Bynum

against the Suns on the 31st. Maybe even substitute Bynum with Turiaf because of the small ball factor.

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/addicusbrown
Freakout
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject:

psydesho wrote:
With the rash of injuries I could see a starting lineup of:

Smush
Evans
Kobe
Lamar
Bynum

against the Suns on the 31st. Maybe even substitute Bynum with Turiaf because of the small ball factor.

That right there is the reason I like Evans. I don't think that lineup is farfetched either. If Rad's hand is still bothering his shot then Phil will be forced to look to his bench.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject:

[quote="DancingBarry"]
A Mad Chinaman wrote:

Re: Bynum - What combination of players do you think would be best for Drew - an "Energy Team" (w/Farmar, Evans, Luke andTuriaff) or an "Experienced Team (w/Kobe, LO, Vlad & Smush/Sasha/Evans/Farmar)?
Having some shooters and guys who can cut that he can find with passes, having guys who can slash and create for him will help. He may be a young kid, but the he gets the D to collapse on him a lot. Having players that can take advantage of that in one way or another would be helpful. You are going to need scorers since he isn't a major threat right now. Defensively, you probably want guys who are good at rotating and crashing the defensive glass, so that he can try to patrol the paint and contest some shoots.
Quote:
In response to your comments of Bynum's need to have good cutters and defenders on the team - it appears that this combination of players might/should get the highest attention:
"4" - LO
"3" - Luke
"2" - Kobe
"1" - Jordan

Possible Options Under Certain Circumstances
Turiaff - might take some of the paint area that Bynum needs to operate, unless LO needs some TO guarding PFs such as Dirk

Vlad - good shooter that needs players (Luke, LO or Kobe) on the court that can get him the ball at the 3 point line

Evans - good energy guy when there are no small "speed" guards" and he can "match-up" size-wise at either a "2" or "3" - even against players such as Artest/Jefferson/Marion/Diaw/etc.

Worse Options
Smush - his "high-rise" defense that is always seeking steals while giving up good position would lead to countless needless fould on Bynum because he would have to switch off his man to defend Smush's defender - plus he is erratic as a defender

Cook - as a streaky shooter and with his skills, he would play when Vlad would normally be on the court but can't because he needs a "blow." If he is hot, he would have value being on the court

Not Available Because Injuired Options
Kwame
Mihm
Shammond
McKie
Von Wafer
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: