Microsoft will cripple PCs running pirated copies of Vista

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Microsoft will cripple PCs running pirated copies of Vista

Quote:

Microsoft will cripple PCs running pirated copies of Vista
We all thought that Microsoft was asking for trouble when the company announced previously that it would be including all the versions of Windows Vista on a single DVD, setting the stage for those in the know to crack the disc and save themselves some cash by installing Ultimate when they likely bought (ok, probably pirated via BitTorrent) a Vista DVD.

Well, Microsoft has fired the first salvo in this war on pirates -- according to The Associated Press, the Redmond crew will be taking "much harsher steps to curtail piracy" than in years past.

First, the company will "deny access" to some of the "most anticipated features," including Windows Aero, the new GUI.

Then, Vista will start issuing ransom demands (we're not kidding about this part), demanding that a legitimate copy be bought within 30 days, or else. What would such consequences entail? How about limiting Web access to an hour at a time?Further, what about not being able to open documents from the desktop or "run other programs such as Outlook e-mail software" ?

However, the article goes on to say: "Microsoft said it won't stop a computer running pirated Vista software from working completely, and it will continue to deliver critical security updates." So for those of you keeping score, Microsoft wants to make using your computer as miserable as possible, while keeping it as "safe" as possible, ok?

Now, if we were betting types, we'd guess that the odds are pretty favorable that this anti-piracy measure will be defeated just as fast as PlaysForSure was.

Story
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject:

Yeah, Microsoft has been threatening this for some time. On the one hand, I say this is crap, how dare they do this? But on the other hand, it is actual stealing of their goods and services. Hopefully, the anti-trust lawsuits brought against Microsoft will mean that they bring down the prices on their OS so people won't have to pirate it as much. It'd be complete crap if they force so many computer manufacturers to use only their software, and then threaten their users even more so.

Bullies.

Is Microsoft the new Standard Oil Co., or US Steel, or the railroad systems from the 19th Century?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject:

Sure glad I can do everything I want on Ubuntu. I only use windows for gaming now, and WoW runs on linux so I don't even need to go to windows that often any more.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject:

I can't blame them.... something like 30%-40% of the MSFT OSs out there is pirated. I was thinking what's taking them so long.

At what point does MSFT become like the RIAA and go after individual users? Can you imagine? It's not like they don't know who they are?
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, it is well within their rights to do this. They lose billions to software piracy a year and they have the responsibility to their shareholders to do this and it seems like they are doing it in a responsible enough fashion.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
Yeah, it is well within their rights to do this. They lose billions to software piracy a year and they have the responsibility to their shareholders to do this and it seems like they are doing it in a responsible enough fashion.
Exactly, the stock price should rise on that news alone!
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject:

It wont last long there will always be a way around stuff like this. However if there isn't which I doubt ill stick with XP. I wouldn't pay that much for an OS.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject:

eureca wrote:
It wont last long there will always be a way around stuff like this. However if there isn't which I doubt ill stick with XP. I wouldn't pay that much for an OS.
I think most people feel that way...
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
eureca wrote:

I don't really study this sort of thing, but who is actually paying for OS? How many people actually update their OS? If I get a computer when Win 95 was out, what are the chances my computer will even be able to handle Win 98, or ME or XP? I have XP now, can my machine handle Vista?

From what I gather, regular folks get OS when they buy a machine. It tends to be businesses, government, organizations, that tend to buy OS software to then place on existing machines. Maybe that is why Microsoft charges so much for Windows?

Still, it is a high price for computers that are really forced to accept them on their terms, not on the consumers' terms.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject:

I know I'm sticking with XP until I buy my next machine - and I wouldn't transition until I saw SP1 come out at least as well as checking to see if my key apps worked on Vista and I could upgrade those at a low cost.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:
TACH wrote:
eureca wrote:

I don't really study this sort of thing, but who is actually paying for OS? How many people actually update their OS? If I get a computer when Win 95 was out, what are the chances my computer will even be able to handle Win 98, or ME or XP? I have XP now, can my machine handle Vista?

From what I gather, regular folks get OS when they buy a machine. It tends to be businesses, government, organizations, that tend to buy OS software to then place on existing machines. Maybe that is why Microsoft charges so much for Windows?

Still, it is a high price for computers that are really forced to accept them on their terms, not on the consumers' terms.
Very good point.... and when you think about it,.. it's more cost effective to do it that way with lower end computers....
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
encina1 wrote:
TACH wrote:
eureca wrote:

Very good point.... and when you think about it,.. it's more cost effective to do it that way with lower end computers....

Yup. I've never bought an OS standalone - always a new machine. Since Windows takes years for MS to come out with a new version, it kinda works for me.
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:
TACH wrote:
eureca wrote:

I used to work at a computer manufacturing company and Microsoft gets paid for every computer that has Windows pre-installed. They're already getting their money everytime a computer is sold with their OS. The price for the OS is already included in the purchase price of the PC.

So Microsoft charging that much more for their windows stand alone is ridiculous. They're already making a bundle since their OS is the standard on PC.

But then, all the provisions they're including in Vista will eventually have a work around it. Microsoft made the same claims with XP and those were bypassed. Hopefully Vista will be cracked too.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject:

Zhengi wrote:
encina1 wrote:
TACH wrote:
eureca wrote:

I used to work at a computer manufacturing company and Microsoft gets paid for every computer that has Windows pre-installed. They're already getting their money everytime a computer is sold with their OS. The price for the OS is already included in the purchase price of the PC.

So Microsoft charging that much more for their windows stand alone is ridiculous. They're already making a bundle since their OS is the standard on PC.

But then, all the provisions they're including in Vista will eventually have a work around it. Microsoft made the same claims with XP and those were bypassed. Hopefully Vista will be cracked too.

I wouldn't call it ridiculous. What Microsoft gets from pre-installed machines is a fraction of what they charge stand-alone - really pennies on the dollar. The OEM's make a boat load in charging you full-price for the pre-installed software. Call it a mark up for installing it for you. So you should be pissed at the hardware providers for not passing along the savings to you. All in all it's kind of a game where only the consumer gets screwed. MS does a favor to the hardware providers by basically giving them margin. Hardware providers in turn provide Microsoft with lots of marketshare. Customers pay full price no matter what.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: