Firefox

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerLegend
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Firefox

I have version 1.5.0.7. Is it me and my crummy Dell laptop running XP, or does Firefox crash on your machine on a semi-regular basis? I used to not have any problems, but nowadays, it locks up, shuts down all browsing windows, and sometimes I will have to reboot. I just checked for updates, but I didn't get any. I would hate to back to IE. Any suggestions?
uberzev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject:

Try the new FF beta. Works great..

http://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-2.0rc1&os=win&lang=en-US
B_Rabbit1212
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject:

is beta the equivelant to a 2.0?
uberzev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject:

B_Rabbit1212 wrote:
is beta the equivelant to a 2.0?
Yeah
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject:

The only problem I have is with cbsnews.com because they embed video and my FF does not like it.
uberzev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:07 am    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:
The only problem I have is with cbsnews.com because they embed video and my FF does not like it.
There is a plugin somewhere that lets you view IE in a FF tab.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject:

It does ramp up memory usage on occasion for me and this tends to effectively slow my machine down to a crawl so that I effectively can't use any applications. When this happens, it's usually probably only about 5 seconds or so, but that 5 seconds feels like a long time.
Balki Bartokomous
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject:

Glad someone started this thread, I know I'm not alone!!! This latest update of FF is total CRAP. My PC does need some fine tuning and a possible HD reformat but IE crashes less and loads faster than FF does now.

The FF devs can't get 2.0 out there quick enough for me.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject:

Just as another data point, I'm using FF 1.5.0.7 with zero issues.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Computerworld has an article describing how you can check to see if you're having Firefox memory leak problems, and then gives some advice for remedying them.

1. Right-click any blank area in the about:config window and choose New > Integer from the pop-up menu.
2. The New Integer Value box will open. Copy and paste this setting name into the open dialog box: browser.cache.memory.capacity
3. In the Enter Integer Value box that opens, enter -1 to preserve Firefox's default operational mode.
4. To customize the setting to your computer's physical memory, consult this MozillaZine page. For RAM sizes between 512BM and 1GB, start with 15000. For RAM sizes between 128MB and 512M, try 5000. Note: If you have less than 128MB of RAM, that's probably the cause of your Firefox issues.

1. Right-click any blank area in the about:config window and choose New > Integer from the pop-up menu.
2. The New Integer Value box will open. Copy and paste this setting name into the open dialog box: browser.cache.memory.capacity
3. In the Enter Integer Value box that opens, enter -1 to preserve Firefox's default operational mode.
4. To customize the setting to your computer's physical memory, consult this MozillaZine page. For RAM sizes between 512BM and 1GB, start with 15000. For RAM sizes between 128MB and 512M, try 5000. Note: If you have less than 128MB of RAM, that's probably the cause of your Firefox issues. If you're not sure if your computer is experiencing the memory leak, Computerworld suggests a Ctrl-Alt-Del memory check - for more, definitely check out the article. Finally, you might also want to make sure you've disabled any Firefox extensions known to leak memory.
LINK

Quote:
Browser security holes surging in 2006
Symantec releases worrying figures.

The number of security holes in Web browser has jumped this year, according to Symantec.

The security company's twice-yearly Internet Security Threat Report, found that 47 bugs in Firefox and 38 bugs in Internet Explorer had been discovered in the first six months of this year - up significantly from the 17 and 25 bugs found respectively in the previous six months.

Even Apple's Safari browser saw its bugs double, from six in the last half of 2005 to 12 in the first half of 2006. Opera was the only browser tracked by Symantec that saw the number of vulnerabilities decline, but not by much. Its bugs dropped from nine to seven during the period.

And while Internet Explorer remained the most popular choice of attackers, no one is invulnerable. According to the report, 31 percent of attacks during the period targeted more than one browser, and 20 percent took aim at Mozilla's Firefox.

LINK
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject:

uberzev wrote:
lakersfreak wrote:
There is a plugin somewhere that lets you view IE in a FF tab.

If I recall the point of that plugin is to allow Active X, which is one of the reasons not to use IE in the first place
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject:

I could have swore I left a post on this yesterday.

I have had problems with FF since I upgraded to 1.5.0.6. Tons of crashes that just annoyed the hell out of me. I would have to open the browser 6 or 7 times just to get it to work. I endured it because of the tabs and my IE explorer would not shut down properly when I turned off the computer.

I posted a thread like you and got many of the same answers about no one having problems. Therefore I went ahead and tried out Opera which is a very similar browser, but is much slower than FF or IE. This was a straight pain in the ass so I continued looking for answers.

One day I said to myself I'd use IE if it had the majority of FF's features. That same day I did a Windows update and decided to check out MS's website and voila! They have a new beta out for IE that has most of the FF features. I cautiously downloaded it and tried it and besides not looking as good as FF, it has been very stable for me over the last 2 weeks.

I'll have 4-10 tabs open at once and not one single crash. Also, it fixed my problem at shutdown with the previous IE version and it's just as fast as FF. I'm not Windows/MS fanboy, but I am impressed.

I liked FF until the crashes.

Good luck.

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/addicusbrown
chirex
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject:

I had some problems with FF and ifilm.com. It used up 100% of my cpu and froze. i installed the extension Flashblock and it works fine now.

http://flashblock.mozdev.org/
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: