chinese sweat shops makin shoes.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cr8zy0
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: chinese sweat shops makin shoes.

so i was lookin for some custom air force 1s and stumbled across this site:
www.soapparel.com
they have a (bleep) of airforce1s highly unlikely they r legit but they look mad nice and r 39 dollars a shoe. u have to order 12 though. i can't decide if i wanna do it. i dont feel like spendin 100 dollars per pair of shoes any more. should i order from these chinese guys?
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject:

no, you should not buy 10 pairs of fake shoes from the chinese sweatshop.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject:

Er, those $100 shoes are also being made in sweatshops. Just because they have a Nike logo do they charge so much for them. Remember Michael Moore's questioning of Phil Knight why he doesn't give the jobs to Americans, and he answered because there are no Americans who want the job. Moore showed up with people who needed jobs, but Knight wouldn't meet with him the second time.

I don't know what the solution is then. Maybe you buy $15 Starbury shoes instead. Or we look around for shoes not made in sweatshops, preferably by Americans who are paid a decent wage.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
tony smith
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject:

chef wrote:
no, you should not buy 10 pairs of fake shoes from the chinese sweatshop.

nothing to add to that.

seriously. i don't wear nikes for that reason. it's a small thing, but personally, i try my best not to contribute to a companies that treat its workers so terribly, while simultaneously taking jobs out of america.
Flight
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject:

Those are absolute FAKES. They are made out of the cheapest materials and will feel very uncomfortable on your feet. Your feet will hurt, your back will hurt. And they will fall apart very quickly. GET THEM!
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:

I don't know what the solution is then. Maybe you buy $15 Starbury shoes instead. Or we look around for shoes not made in sweatshops, preferably by Americans who are paid a decent wage.

Just curious. How do we know the $15 Starbury shoes aren't made in sweat shops? Not saying they are, just wondering.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
encina1 wrote:

Just curious. How do we know the $15 Starbury shoes aren't made in sweat shops? Not saying they are, just wondering.

Oh, that thought crossed my mind many times, and I don't know they aren't, but if sweatshops are the way shoes are being made regardless, might as well pay cheap for them so the manufacturer doesn't come out so well.

Besides, it sounded like the original poster wanted shoes no matter where they come from, but wasn't looking into $100 shoes. The Starbury's are an option, though not necessarily a sweatshop-free one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:

Good luck with that one.

What makes most of these sneakers expensive is the marketing. Marbury's cost just about the same as Jordan's to make. Difference is the marketing... Nike spends 10s of millions dollars on marketing; Marbury's are carried by one chain with little marketing support.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: chinese sweat shops makin shoes.

cr8zy0 wrote:
so i was lookin for some custom air force 1s and stumbled across this site:
www.soapparel.com
they have a (bleep) of airforce1s highly unlikely they r legit but they look mad nice and r 39 dollars a shoe. u have to order 12 though. i can't decide if i wanna do it. i dont feel like spendin 100 dollars per pair of shoes any more. should i order from these chinese guys?
If you want fake (very good fakes) Air Force 1s, you can get them for $15 - $20 a pair in China-Town (NYC).

Personally, I rock Adidas and Puma (and have two pairs of Marbury's on ice)
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject:

i really don't care if workers are "exploited" or not. if they were really being exploited they wouldn't work there. If the companies manufacturing the shoes aren't paying a fair wage they could get anywhere else in the region, then they wouldn't have any workers. Supply and demand.

they are paid and treated as the norm for the areas they live in. Does it compare to US standards? no.

Do I care? probably not.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject:

chef wrote:
i really don't care if workers are "exploited" or not. if they were really being exploited they wouldn't work there. If the companies manufacturing the shoes aren't paying a fair wage they could get anywhere else in the region, then they wouldn't have any workers. Supply and demand.

they are paid and treated as the norm for the areas they live in. Does it compare to US standards? no.

Do I care? probably not.

Ouch. This could get political fast. Sweatshop workers are definitely exploited - I've seen it first hand. Sub-minimum wage, non-payment, forced overtime, sexual harrassment, physical abuse, etc. Many people work there because they don't know any better or they are struggling to get other jobs and have no other choice if they want to feed their families. Leaving isn't a choice if you have no other way of supporting your family. While this is bad in other countries, a lot of people don't realize this still happens a lot in the US. If you saw some of the things that happen there, and saw why some of these people continue to work there I bet you'd have a tough time attributing it purely to supply and demand.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
chef wrote:

Do I care? probably not.

Ouch. This could get political fast. Sweatshop workers are definitely exploited - I've seen it first hand. Sub-minimum wage, non-payment, forced overtime, sexual harrassment, physical abuse, etc. Many people work there because they don't know any better or they are struggling to get other jobs and have no other choice if they want to feed their families. Leaving isn't a choice if you have no other way of supporting your family. While this is bad in other countries, a lot of people don't realize this still happens a lot in the US. If you saw some of the things that happen there, and saw why some of these people continue to work there I bet you'd have a tough time attributing it purely to supply and demand.

And if the life styles of others is not a concern, then think of it economically. If companies realize they can make money by selling something at the same or even higher prices, but make them at a substantially lower price, they will. Great for consumers, as they don't have to pay more for the same things or any luxuries, but it will take its toll. The more products are made this way, the more jobs are lost in the US to China, or India, or wherever. Eventually so many jobs lost takes its toll on the American economy.

Sure, prices at Wal-Mart may be low, but there is a reason for that, and a reason I won't shop there.
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
chef wrote:

Do I care? probably not.

but how are these sweatshops compared to other available jobs in the areas? I mean, if it sucks there so bad.....why do they take the jobs if they can find other work in the area where they are supposedly paid higher and have better conditions?

It seems like the conditions in sweatshops are expected and are part of the expectations for a certain country.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject:

chef wrote:
Socks wrote:
chef wrote:

Do I care? probably not.

but how are these sweatshops compared to other available jobs in the areas? I mean, if it sucks there so bad.....why do they take the jobs if they can find other work in the area where they are supposedly paid higher and have better conditions?

It seems like the conditions in sweatshops are expected and are part of the expectations for a certain country.
That's a cop out,.. Nike (and the rest) has the means to make the working conditions better, they choose not, they rather sell you $150 pair of Jordans instead.
LaLakers999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject:

I think large corporations that outsource to cheaper labor countries should replace the jobs in America as well instead of leaving them hanging....

as far as the sweatshop shoes..... BUY THEM sweatshop kids need to eat too
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
chef wrote:
Socks wrote:
chef wrote:

Do I care? probably not.

That's a cop out,.. Nike (and the rest) has the means to make the working conditions better, they choose not, they rather sell you $150 pair of Jordans instead.

Well, don't necessarily think of it as just other countries, think of it in the US as well. I've seen plenty of sweat shops around LA.

Just because there are other jobs with better conditions, doesn't mean a sweat shop should be allowed to beat workers, force them to work 15 hours without overtime pay, and sexually harrass the hell out of its employees while threatening to fire them if they say anything.

And sure, there might be jobs with better conditions out there, but someone may not be skilled enough to get them. Let's say you're a legal immigrant who doesn't speak great english and doesn't have a college education. The KFC isn't gonna hire you as a cashier because they've got a teenager who speaks fluent english. So basically, you can be a janitor, a manual laborer, or something else that doesn't require much speaking to people.

If you're female, you're generally out on those physical jobs maybe you can be a maid or a nanny, but those jobs can be hard to come by and generally people in poor neighborhoods need to commute out to where people rich enough to pay for such things live. If you've got no car, and public transport is too big a chunk of your earnings to make it worthwhile, the sweat shop it is.

Sure you can go to school, learn english better and all that, but that takes time, and in the meantime do we as a country say that it is acceptable that you're fondled and groped when you go to work? That you're beaten if you are 10 minutes late to the job?

It's a similar story in other countries, though it may be even worse. There may not be other job options - or at least not nearly as many as there are in the US.
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
chef wrote:
Socks wrote:
chef wrote:

Do I care? probably not.

They're in the business to sell shoes, not build countries. They pay the wages they can get away with. That's capitalism.
Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
TACH wrote:
chef wrote:
Socks wrote:
chef wrote:

Do I care? probably not.

Well, don't necessarily think of it as just other countries, think of it in the US as well. I've seen plenty of sweat shops around LA.

Just because there are other jobs with better conditions, doesn't mean a sweat shop should be allowed to beat workers, force them to work 15 hours without overtime pay, and sexually harrass the hell out of its employees while threatening to fire them if they say anything.

And sure, there might be jobs with better conditions out there, but someone may not be skilled enough to get them. Let's say you're a legal immigrant who doesn't speak great english and doesn't have a college education. The KFC isn't gonna hire you as a cashier because they've got a teenager who speaks fluent english. So basically, you can be a janitor, a manual laborer, or something else that doesn't require much speaking to people.

If you're female, you're generally out on those physical jobs maybe you can be a maid or a nanny, but those jobs can be hard to come by and generally people in poor neighborhoods need to commute out to where people rich enough to pay for such things live. If you've got no car, and public transport is too big a chunk of your earnings to make it worthwhile, the sweat shop it is.

Sure you can go to school, learn english better and all that, but that takes time, and in the meantime do we as a country say that it is acceptable that you're fondled and groped when you go to work? That you're beaten if you are 10 minutes late to the job?

It's a similar story in other countries, though it may be even worse. There may not be other job options - or at least not nearly as many as there are in the US.

Good post.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: