NBA Live 07 vs NBA 2K7

View previous topic :: View next topic  
laker_guerilla
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: NBA Live 07 vs NBA 2K7

I just got 2K7 for PS2 and only played for a couple minutes. No opinion yet but I also have to figure out the controls - I'm usually an EA Sports guy on every other sport. Has anyone played NBA Live 07 yet, or preferably both? I would consider getting NBA Live as well, so jonesing am I for any kind of Laker hoop. Your votes and rationale would be interesting to read. Weigh in...
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject:

Plz for the love of God do not buy NBA Live 07 for any system. Do not waste your hard earned cash on garbage.
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject:

Your avatar is awesome btw.
laker_guerilla
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject:

CBaller8 wrote:
Your avatar is awesome btw.

heh thanks. Phil meets Mola Ram (Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom).
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject:

laker_guerilla wrote:
I just got 2K7 for PS2 and only played for a couple minutes. No opinion yet but I also have to figure out the controls - I'm usually an EA Sports guy on every other sport. Has anyone played NBA Live 07 yet, or preferably both? I would consider getting NBA Live as well, so jonesing am I for any kind of Laker hoop. Your votes and rationale would be interesting to read. Weigh in...

I'm telling it like it is. no fanboy on either. of course I've been on the Live for years. and the 2k just didn't move right for me. most live fans would tell you and even people have played both. would tell you that 2k's movement in the past was somewhat robotic. and live's was somewhat smoother, but they ice skated from time to time.

Now both games move pretty much the same. as far as basic movement is concerned.

Like I said I'm being honest. If you can afford it, get both. if not.... i dont wanna say it without really playing live for hours. but perhaps/just maybe you might wanna get the 2k7, especially if you play online alot. because all the stuff you can do online, like multiplayer franchises. and the Streets games online.

The streets is to me the most realistic version of And one mixtape basketball yet. Why? its because it has real moves that real people can do, still trick moves, but its in normal human being speed. and minus the arcade flash of Nba ballers/NBA streets. not that those games aren't fun. This game is more realistic. but everyone knows 2K is more of a Simulation then any other game anyway.

I personally wasn't feeling the shot stick when it first came out for 2k. But i guess its because I'm used to using the analog sticks together a lot more. and the manner in which the shots and dribbles are setup on the analog sticks feel pretty natural. So it was easy for me to not even really know what i was doing and at least be able to put together a few good moves on the perimeter and in the post.

the fact that 2k has everyones signature shot. not just superstars is a plus. NBA LIVE has this but for superstar players only. the thing is what most people aren't telling you is that, there are now more then just 1 or 2 superstars per team. because they've broken it down into 4 levels now. the 4th being the highest for the nash's/kobe's/lebrons. So there is i believe over 100 guys with there own signature shots in Live as well.

Cons for Both-there's is an obvious learning curve for next gen consoles(xbox 360, and will be for the ps3). because you can tell when you go up to dunk on both games. it looks like a Mode you're entering. 2k slows up, and nba live has this quicky flinch type movement. but if you had to choose between the two. the 2k looks the smoothest.

The new collisions are pretty close to on point in both games. it seems you can try to dunk on people in Live if you want. but if there standing there and the lane is clogged. your chances of making the dunk is a lot less then its ever been. Same for the 2K. If you dont know how to clog the lane to stop guys from dunking you out. thats your problem. dont complain about the game. No more video game strips for either game. You reach to much, you get called for the foul. and dont touch the sliders. they're not calling it to much. most people dont average more then 3 steals per game. and thats a league leader. most league steals guys get steals in the passing lane more so then in a 1 on 1 situation(unless the guy is named Smush parker, he's a bonafide Thief.)

as far as playing against the Cpu. I haven't played the Live on the highest level yet, so i can't compare the two. but I've seen the 2k played against the computer. and it looks like a real basketball game. the better guys using their advantage to get by you with quickness or big guys with strength. and the ball movement is better in both games. as well as the passing. and so is the fact that you can't just keep passing it thru guys backs like you use to. if you throw a stupid pass and a defender is walking thru that passing lane. the ball will be deflected. even if its slightly.

1 gripe on the live, They somehow let this get passed the testers, i dont know how. But you can still dunk thru the back of the backboard from time to time. if you've played the last 2 lives you already know what I'm talking about. this is just stupid. it doesn't happen all the time. but once is to much for me. I thought since you have the new more powerful 360 to program for you shouldn't have these kinds of issues. but maybe i'm wrong.

Franchise in 2k is you know deep like always and like i said, i believe you can take an actual Multiplayer FRANCHISE online. thats just sick if you ask me.

the NBA live dynasty mode is on another level this time around. but it also means you feel like you're actually putting in a bit more work. some people might be to lazy for these new additions. I like them myself though. its nothing like it was, i'll tell you that.

2k has one more up on live. the highlights/ low lights they show during the half time report and in the post game is always a nice addition. but 2k use to do this when it had ESPN. so its old hat to them. EA needs to catchup in this department.

one thing the live has on 2k is that little practice Gym. that thing is so sweet and aint even funny. to be able to practice your moves while you wait for a game mode to load is out of this world. its like a little mini game of its own. and the backdrop looks like that old T-mac commercial. how it transitions from the practice gym into the game is beautiful. and I think Nba lives players look better. especially their faces. guys look like their real life counterparts. I drafted douby into the lakers just to see, since i kept harping about how we should've got him if sac didnt'. and low and behold. he's a no name rookie to some extent. and his Face/body structure is on point.

By the way, even though I wont let EA slide for trying to push off the new ESPN intergration as a part of the game. when its not a video game mode. But it is nice, i gotta admit that. to have ESPN radio at your fingertips like this is crazy. especially with the updates. my brother comes in to tell me to flick the TV back on to the cable channels so he can see the score of the Dodger game(since the stupid dodgers want to mess around and be on the bubble). I say, just give me a second. I hit the button and walla.
Daaadaadaa daaadaaadaa
"SportsCenter update Dodgers are up 6 to 4 at the bottom of the 9th. "You can't beat that. and he was looking like whaaa .

I said but oh, its get better. let me hit my Favorite team button. guess who? the lakers. and all of these kobe interviews/articles come up. I heard the entire interview w/ Dan Patrick that you guys posted on here awhile back. Because they have all the latest news about your favorite team (articles/interviews) and i think even video from time to time. pretty crazy. never in my wildest dreams. did i expect a Video game to do all of these things. all i needed was a decent cross over and for shaq to dominate like he does in real life. thats all i used to want.

for the record this is all on the Xbox 360. the one different feature on the ps2, i remember about the nba live 07 is that instead of when your team is doing well and momentum is building, your superstar is not the one that gets hot. thats what happes on 07. where your superstar gets hot and can do special get IN THE ZONE type moves. on top of the other 4 levels of moves he could already do. its like a good 20 moves or so all together. besides the normal dunk/layup buttons.

but on the ps2, you have X-factor guys like Robert Horry, that turn into superstars when the game is on the line in the 4th. and they can heat up as long as you keep them involved in the game. which is pretty darn realistic. i guess they have to seperate some features so people with ps2's that dont want 360's or can't afford them. will have a reason to keep purchasing the sony version until the ps3 comes out.

oh the manner in which you pull of the live superstar moves now with the analog stick is sweet. pretty much like the 2K shot stick. except you have to hold the LB button on the 360 aka modifier button. you also use this and the RB button to cycle thru different superstar types. when you have super duper stars like kobe who can be a superstar shooter, high flyer, scorer and playmaker. if you get that good at it. you will run the break with kobe and able to throw a sick pass to odom and if odom kicks it back you can switch it and do a statue of liberty dunk, just to get the crowd going and the momentum up. thats 2 superstar moves in one sitting. which wasn't possible last year. in all , you hear a few old live lovers complaining about live. because it doesn't move like it used to(no more ice skating) now more realistic, means that you can't just jerked the stick left then right and expect your guy to move like that at that moment .its based on physics now. the guy has to pivot and push off, its also based on ratings(speed,quickness, agilitity) and weight of the player. But I've heard some people bad mouthing it at first impression then played for a few hours and came back and said they loved it, and its growing on them. so who knows.

**the dribbling also has a ton of moves that i can't do for some odd reason. i guess its like they say, practice makes perfect. but i'm to lazy to practice like that.
koolruningz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject:

Wow, thanks P&P. I was gonna check out IGN for reviews but i dont think i'll bother now. Awesome breakdown.

STiG909
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:36 am    Post subject:

Check out these Laker related screenshots from NBA Live 07

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/9076/kobefacialux1.jpg
Ginobli getting posterized Nash style by Kobe
http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/294/kobeonwadehs3.jpg
Wade getting violated by Kobe
http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/2733/abil2.jpg
This one is my favorite
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:24 am    Post subject:

If you want to check out an honest (and funny) review of the game, look no further:
http://www.2old2play.com/News/NBA_Live_07__Honesty_is_the_Best_Policy

My favorite line:
Quote:
As for the shooting in the game, people float like Clark Kent. I got blocked by Luke Ridnour. While I was Kobe Bryant.

postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Exick wrote:
If you want to check out an honest (and funny) review of the game, look no further:
http://www.2old2play.com/News/NBA_Live_07__Honesty_is_the_Best_Policy

My favorite line:
Quote:
As for the shooting in the game, people float like Clark Kent. I got blocked by Luke Ridnour. While I was Kobe Bryant.

that is hilarious i haven't look at the link just yet. but i haven't witnessed this ridiculous floating issue. kobe can get blocked by Luke in real life.

see this is the deal. you have 2 sides here.

1. people who want the game to play like the real nba(meaning really play like the real nba does with no differences) example: Luke R. shoots 3's and passes the ball but isn't an attacking scorer type of guy. so in the game even when they play with the Sonics they dont want Luke R. putting up more then 20 on a great night. and they dont want to see him every dunk on anyone, even if that someone is another pg his size.WHY? because in their minds, thats not true to what you see him doing on a nightly basis in real life.

other group

#2. People who want the players to have all their real life physical attributes, talents, and you want this to be with in reason based on real life physics. a fat guy moves slow(unless he's a light on his feet fat guy, but still he wont be able to come to a stop on a dime because of his weight)

Example: Luke R. depending how I choose to play with him, can be able to score 30 and change, if i want to over abuse him, or if i learn how to use his attributes/abilities to make him the best Ridnour I want him to be.

better example. lamar odom. most say he isn't a super aggressive scorer in rea life. But the way i see it. Is that if I was Lamar odom, he would be, in addition to being a do all guy. Why? because Lamar has the physical ability to do so.

Sure i dont want to see lamar moving as fast as boykins. and I dont want boykins dunking no shaq.

But if little boykins can attempt to sneak a dunk in on a break where it shows he barely gets it in over the rim and almost gets hung. i would love that. WHY? because thats true realism. its real to what the guy is capable of. not just what you see him doing everyday. all these guys are the best in the world(so they say). if you take Luke walton up to your local gym he would school every last one of us. and probably wouldn't mis any 3's(nba 3's). WHY? because the fear of playing against guys better them him is no longer there. then he can show his true abilities. and wow you.

Thats what a game is supposed to be. If I want kobe to play mid to high post more. I should be able to do that. since he does have the ability to do so he just doesn't do it all the time. doesn't mean he cant. if i want to shoot 3's with wade. i should be able to. now at first i should mis. but eventually my D.wade should get better at it. and be able to become a better shooter. because I choose to practice jump shooting with him. thats what I would do if I.. was d.wade.

and with this, it means guys like Luke Rid can block kobe if you time it right. Luke in real life wouldn't try. not because he wont ever succeed. but its because the odds are that he wont because Kobe's mental is so smart, to the point where he would make him look silly. but if I'm playing the lakers and one of my boys is playing with kobe, and they're not as smart as he. they may not know how to make Luke look silly. you get the point?

So you have to watch some of these peoples reviews. and understand which school of thought they;re coming from.

1 last example of this is a guy like KG. who prior to a few years ago, didn't really shoot a 15 footer. now he's money. what does that mean? it means the ability has always been there. but he chose to now focus on that part of his game. so if I'm controlling KG in the game. I want to be able to make whatever chose i want, with KG's true to life attributes.
LakeShowMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject:

Just wanted to say, that I finally made the jump to NBA 2K7 for the 360. I have ALWAYS bought NBA Live, but the last few years I got bored of it quick. Never felt like real basketball to me.

With that said, after playing 2K7 for the last 3 days, WOW! Easily the best basketball game I have ever played. The faces aren't great, but everything else is top notch. I can't even remember a time when something happened in the game and I responde 'thats not realistic'. In Live that seemed to happen multiple times a game. I even had to adjust the lakers playbook for traingle plays and had to run said plays 60-70% of the time to get a good shot.

I am still a big EA guy, but consider me a believer in NBA 2K series. If you play video games for a realistic sim there is no better game on the market. It took me a few years to finally allow myself to do it. If there is any question in anyones mind, just make the jump. It is not even close.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject:

LakeShowMan wrote:
Just wanted to say, that I finally made the jump to NBA 2K7 for the 360. I have ALWAYS bought NBA Live, but the last few years I got bored of it quick. Never felt like real basketball to me.

With that said, after playing 2K7 for the last 3 days, WOW! Easily the best basketball game I have ever played. The faces aren't great, but everything else is top notch. I can't even remember a time when something happened in the game and I responde 'thats not realistic'. In Live that seemed to happen multiple times a game. I even had to adjust the lakers playbook for traingle plays and had to run said plays 60-70% of the time to get a good shot.

I am still a big EA guy, but consider me a believer in NBA 2K series. If you play video games for a realistic sim there is no better game on the market. It took me a few years to finally allow myself to do it. If there is any question in anyones mind, just make the jump. It is not even close.

at the moment I have both. live is still very sweet. But. i can't lie, I'm hooked on 24/7 mode. Because playing with your on guy(locked on player) this is how you can tell how realistic 2k7 really is. you run a Rub play, off a man (its an old Vlade/sacramento play, where bibby used to run around vlade then cut to the basket, after his man gets stuck on vlade's hip. It does it in 2k. without me pressing the button for my teammates to pass me the ball. Assuming the guy with the ball is a passer. its funny how i like running with Gary Payton more so then guards like Arenas. Why? because gary looks to pass it more. and he runs the break just right.

But we all knew that 2k was more of Sim game. the movement was just so wack for so long. thats what kep me away. now that isn't the case. But i've noticed that NBA live has guys cutting down pat. 2K seems as if you can't controll the guy sometimes he cuts hard, and other times he just keeps going, even though you've done the same controller movements. thats another positive/negative. there are so many moves in both games. and in 2k7. that you have to remember a lot. now i guess thats realistic. because think about it. if you're kobe, you have to remember which move to do in which situation and then remember the counter move if someone is playing good de on you. its not just about physical ability. My issue is that its very hard for you to pull off the same move you did 2 seconds ago. even though it feels as if you're moving the controls the exact same way.

I'm blowing layups. because I'm trying to use my left hand when i'm on the left side of the basket. But its using my right, or shooting a close up jumper. Thats not what i pressed. thats whats ticking me off.
LakeShowMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
LakeShowMan wrote:

at the moment I have both. live is still very sweet. But. i can't lie, I'm hooked on 24/7 mode. Because playing with your on guy(locked on player) this is how you can tell how realistic 2k7 really is. you run a Rub play, off a man (its an old Vlade/sacramento play, where bibby used to run around vlade then cut to the basket, after his man gets stuck on vlade's hip. It does it in 2k. without me pressing the button for my teammates to pass me the ball. Assuming the guy with the ball is a passer. its funny how i like running with Gary Payton more so then guards like Arenas. Why? because gary looks to pass it more. and he runs the break just right.

But we all knew that 2k was more of Sim game. the movement was just so wack for so long. thats what kep me away. now that isn't the case. But i've noticed that NBA live has guys cutting down pat. 2K seems as if you can't controll the guy sometimes he cuts hard, and other times he just keeps going, even though you've done the same controller movements. thats another positive/negative. there are so many moves in both games. and in 2k7. that you have to remember a lot. now i guess thats realistic. because think about it. if you're kobe, you have to remember which move to do in which situation and then remember the counter move if someone is playing good de on you. its not just about physical ability. My issue is that its very hard for you to pull off the same move you did 2 seconds ago. even though it feels as if you're moving the controls the exact same way.

I'm blowing layups. because I'm trying to use my left hand when i'm on the left side of the basket. But its using my right, or shooting a close up jumper. Thats not what i pressed. thats whats ticking me off.

Agreed, it takes a lot to get used to, but in a way it feels very intuitive. Like I said, I have always like live, but would get bored with it rather quickly. Just seems like the AI is MUCH better in the 2K games, not to mention the fact that you really have to work the ball and try to take advantage of what the defense gives you. First time I can ever remember having to do that in a video game.

Something I didn't mention in the previous post. It was also the first time I have ever had to play full 12 minute quarters to approach 'realistic statistics'. Shooting percentages are much more realistic, plus the presentation is unreal. When the cyber-Bynum runs and moves and shoots just like the real Bynum, it is to me, simply amazing.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject:

STiG909 wrote:
Check out these Laker related screenshots from NBA Live 07

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/2733/abil2.jpg
This one is my favorite

I love that last pic. So many weird things about it. Why does Bynum look like Denzel Washington?

My favorite part is that in the background, the fans are too busy watching the Lakers girls on the sidelines and not the action on the court.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
laker_guerilla
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject:

LakeShowMan wrote:

this is spot on. dudes, Smush in this game is a straight up thief. I got him 8 steals in my first win (against Orlando playing the computer), but i had to really work for it. so much more realistic than the EA basketball.

cheque it out for sure. kenny smith drops decent commentary.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject:

postandpivot, major props for those reviews

I'm not much of a video game guy, but my PS2 has been collecting dust for too long. I think I'm going to go pick up 2k7. Sounds like a game I'd enjoy playing. Thanks for your help.
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject:

LOL IGN Live reviews.

PS2
http://ps2.ign.com/articles/736/736894p1.html

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/736/736908p1.html

Yes it wasn't coincidence that EA withheld review copies from IGN and gamespsot. They wanted people to buy it not knowing how crappy it is.

From the 360 review LOL.

"Unfortunately, the Superstar controls aren't as deep as the current gen or the PSP, and the gameplay is extremely unplayable and bland. You kind of get that sense when one of the achievements for the game is getting "four players to play on one console." Yep, that's definitely an achievement for you, because when you're finished playing the game, you probably won't have the same three friends anymore"
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: