66%  [ 4 ]
Throw it in the oven
33%
 33%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 6

Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: What's the best way to cook a steak?

It's 10 in the morning and I'm fiending a good steak. I have a t-bone that has been marinating at home for the past 2 days. I don't have a real grill, but do have my trusty George Foreman. I've found that the Foreman doesn't necessarily do well with the t-bones.

Any recommendations on ways I should cook this beast so I can dine like a king tonight?

Last edited by Socks on Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:47 am; edited 2 times in total
Mr.Tricky
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject:

BBQ, and its not even close. What you do is leave the steak out, till it catches room temperature. This will help the steak cook evenly throughout. just let it char on the grill to seal the juices in....dont flip the steak too much.

Last edited by Mr.Tricky on Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total
F.N.G.
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject:

^
Agreed! If you can't BBQ it, you might as well slice it real thin and have Steak Tartar...
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject:

BBQ... and then if you have to, broil or George Forman it! Never fry a steak, unless it the cheesesteak variety.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject:

The most important attribute for a good steak is searing -- not because it locks juices in (it doesn't), but because the searing process causes a number of chemical changes, and those resulting chemicals taste really good. In order to sear, you have to get really, really hot. A grill does the job nicely (charcoal gets the hottest, propane next, and natural gas is in third place). A George Foreman grill just doesn't get hot enough to sear properly.

What kind of oven do you have? If it's one with a broiler on top, then that'll work -- think of it like an upside-down grill, and cook accordingly. In addition, it has its advantages -- since the flame is above the meat, drips don't cause flare-ups. If I were you, and I had my choice of doing my T-Bone in either the oven on the Foreman grill, I'd broil it in the oven.

Also, depending on the meat (and your T-Bone is a poor choice for this), sauteeing works really nicely. Plus it has the added benefit of letting you make killer pan sauces out of the fond. I get tenderloins from Trader Joe's all the time (about $10-$12 for two tenderloins), and make steak au poivre using just peppercorns, butter, olive oil, heavy cream, and a little cognac (plus you get to light it on fire, which is always fun). Killer and really quick to make.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject:

Three ways to go:

(1) Grill it. Be a man.

(2) Cast-iron skillet. Be a cowboy. Heat the bad boy up a couple of minutes until it could be used to brand a dinosaur. No oil, use it dry. 3-4 minutes on each side, depending on thickness. Take steak OUT of the skillet, 'cause that thing REALLY holds heat for a long time.

(3) Regular skillet then bake. Be a chef. Coat the pan with few drops of vegetable or canola oil first, wipe it around with a paper towel. Don't use olive oil -- will burn too fast. 1-2 minutes each side, then bake the whole pan and steak for about 5-7 minutes at a preheated 375.

In all instances:

(1) At a minimum, even if it's marinated, rub salt (kosher if you got) and pepper (fresh cracked if you got) into the outside. This helps give you a crust which gives (a) flavor and (b) less loss of meat if it sticks to the cooking surface.

(2) Let the steak come to room temperature before you start cooking. The above poster was exactly right.

(3) Flip the sucker only ONCE. Don't lose the juice.

(4) Use tongs, not a fork. Again, don't lose the juice.

(5) It is ALWAYS better to take the steak off too early rather than too late.

(6) Let the steak rest for 4-5 minutes once off the heat. Cover with foil on a plate if you want to do a slow cook if you think you pulled it too soon. The juices need to redistribute so it can stay softer longer.

Good eating.

MIM
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
The most important attribute for a good steak is searing -- not because it locks juices in (it doesn't), but because the searing process causes a number of chemical changes, and those resulting chemicals taste really good. In order to sear, you have to get really, really hot. A grill does the job nicely (charcoal gets the hottest, propane next, and natural gas is in third place). A George Foreman grill just doesn't get hot enough to sear properly.

What kind of oven do you have? If it's one with a broiler on top, then that'll work -- think of it like an upside-down grill, and cook accordingly. In addition, it has its advantages -- since the flame is above the meat, drips don't cause flare-ups. If I were you, and I had my choice of doing my T-Bone in either the oven on the Foreman grill, I'd broil it in the oven.

Also, depending on the meat (and your T-Bone is a poor choice for this), sauteeing works really nicely. Plus it has the added benefit of letting you make killer pan sauces out of the fond. I get tenderloins from Trader Joe's all the time (about $10-$12 for two tenderloins), and make steak au poivre using just peppercorns, butter, olive oil, heavy cream, and a little cognac (plus you get to light it on fire, which is always fun). Killer and really quick to make.

Spoken like a man who watches Alton Brown! If so, I applaud you, Larry.

Personally, I prefer the cast-iron skillet method myself. The best steaks I ever did were with a $12 cast-iron my wife got me a couple Christmases ago.

Too bad I didn't dry it well once and now it has some light rust on the inside. I honestly don't know if it's rust or food-staining, but I'm too chicken to use it.

MIM
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject:

Hmmm... casket-iron skillet,.. I will have to try that... Which cuts of meat are best for a casket-iron skillet?
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:

Yup -- love AB. His books are among my favorites. His shows are great when he's not being overly goofy.

Quote:
Personally, I prefer the cast-iron skillet method myself. The best steaks I ever did were with a $12 cast-iron my wife got me a couple Christmases ago.

Yeah, talk about getting hot....
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
Hmmm... casket-iron skillet,.. I will have to try that... Which cuts of meat are best for a casket-iron skillet?

Haven't really discerned between different cuts, but I've cooked more than a few ribeyes on cast-iron skillets, and they've come out great. I don't know about bone-in cuts like T-Bones or Porterhouses, though.

MIM
cmonkee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject:

i am ridiculously hungry after reading this thread.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for all the tips guys!

I don't have a grill and my dinky little apartment balcony is too small to really handle one. I ain't getting a cast-iron skillet tonight, though it sounds good enough where I will in the near future. I think I'll go with LarryCoon's suggestion on the oven broiling.

Thanks again, and I will dedicate my first bite to all those who gave great advice on this thread!
Mongo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:

Too bad I didn't dry it well once and now it has some light rust on the inside. I honestly don't know if it's rust or food-staining, but I'm too chicken to use it.

MIM

Don't be scared of the rust. Whats the worst that will happen? Put a little oil in the pan, wipe the rusted area with a paper towel and cook away.
LaLakers999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject:

use a blow torch
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject:

Lakers999 wrote:
use a blow torch

Can't get the inside to the right doneness without overcooking the outside.
golden armor
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject:

I'd recommend the cast-iron - get it super hot and sear both sides, and then, put the whole thing in the oven to cook through. Not too long - you don't want to cook it past medium-rare or medium at the most.

I wonder where chef is? I'm sure he would have an opinion.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject:

My uncle, who is a chef in Toronto, has this secret spice he mixed you throw on before and while you BBQ...its the BOMB!!!! But BBQing it with the right marinate and spices is the BEST EVER....M.M. Food
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject:

Recomendation: if you're going to marinade, I suggest using a nice dry cabernet (or spring for a great bordeaux, but only on a really prime cut). The wine imparts a velvety flavor that is very, very nice. Drink the rest of the bottle with the steak, as it will combine perfectly.

I would use the broiler, as hot as it will go. Really great steak houses use broilers at obscenely high temperature.

The salt and pepper rub is a must.

BTW, if you're unsure of how done your steak is, use the push test. place your hand on a flat surface (relaxed), and push on the fleshy area between the thumb and first finger. do the same to the steak. If the feel is the same, that sucker is ready!

Happy eating!!
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject:

golden armor wrote:
I'd recommend the cast-iron - get it super hot and sear both sides, and then, put the whole thing in the oven to cook through. Not too long - you don't want to cook it past medium-rare or medium at the most.

I wonder where chef is? I'm sure he would have an opinion.

sorry....just got back from hawaii yesterday.....

tips:

PRIME meats....the better the quality of the meat, the better your steak is. Discount steaks aren't going to cut it.....How's (a small local chain) has fantastic deals on prime meats.

Season with salt and pepper. That's all I'd do.

Sear the steak on the hottest temperature on a hot surface you can. Frying pan, cast iron, grill, whatever. Then finish it off in the oven or broiler to the desired doneness. I usually throw a bit of butter in the pan when I toss it in the oven after searing.

Often overlooked is to let the meat rest after cooking it. Let the juices of the meat settle..otherwise you'll cut it and it will be a bloody mess. 5-10 minutes after its out of the oven...just let it chill out for a while. much better result.

Only marinade cheap cuts of meat.

My personal favorite cut of meat is the bone in-ribeye, followed by the porterhouse then the filet. Steak sauce is not an option with any of these. They are perfect by themselves.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject:

^^^ Chef, after searing, do you leave the cut in the same pan when you stick it in the oven, or move it to something else? Thanks!
LaLakers999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
Lakers999 wrote:
use a blow torch

Can't get the inside to the right doneness without overcooking the outside.

you actually tried that .... I was just being sarcastic
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
^^^ Chef, after searing, do you leave the cut in the same pan when you stick it in the oven, or move it to something else? Thanks!

I use a pair of kitchen tongs and transer it to the plate or a cutting board. I don't want to overcook my steak! (I like it mediumrare). As long as you don't pierce the meat it should be generally ok.
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject:

BBQ
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject:

chef wrote:
I use a pair of kitchen tongs and transer it to the plate or a cutting board. I don't want to overcook my steak! (I like it mediumrare). As long as you don't pierce the meat it should be generally ok.

I think he was asking how you finish it off in the oven after searing it, not how you rest it.

My answer: If whatever you put the meat on when you put it in the oven isn't already hot, you're just going to slow the process. But you don't want it to be so hot that you over-sear it. On the grill, after searing it directly on the grate over high flame with the lid open, I move it up to the top grate, back the flame down to medium, and finish it off with the lid closed. In the oven I heat a pan up with the oven, and transfer it to that to finish it off. That way, the pan is the same temperature as the oven.

Two more comments:

1. I like to use a digital termometer with a probe -- the kind where you can leave the probe in the meat while it cooks. Fewer errors that way. I set the alarm for 145 degrees or so (depending on the meat), and pull it when the alarm goes off.

2. Whatever you're cooking with, be sure to give it enough time to warm up. For the grill, that means the grate gets hot enough to sear properly. In the oven, that means the walls of the oven are brought up to temperature, and not just the air inside the oven (which escapes when you open the door, leaving the oven cooler than you want when you put your meat in). Leaving something like a pizza stone inside your oven helps.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject:

Lakers999 wrote:
you actually tried that .... I was just being sarcastic

I know -- so was I.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: