Scientology scares me....

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KobeBryant24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Scientology scares me....

So their master is Xenu, and they have "Thetans" or what not growing in their souls??? Something like that, which is why I'm not surprised Beck is a scientologist. Anyways, check out this video, I guess Scientology has some strict security.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qLZJBdvqAv8
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject:

I don't find it anymore frightening than the other religions/philosophies out there. But that's just me.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
I don't find it anymore frightening than the other religions/philosophies out there. But that's just me.

really? alien warlords? intergalactic cruisers? being against medicine? e-meters? thetan levels? tom cruise?

definitely frightens me more than the others...especially when you consider how they fleece everyone and charge them up the pooper to get their "teachings". oh and how the only way you can ascend the ranks of the church is if you have a lot of money.
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject:

What scares me is what it does to it's believers. Only alcohol seems to have the power to tun people into bigger monsters. I have had one friend and several acquaintances that turned to the cult and all turned to meglo psycho's.
KobeBryant24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject:

Phil wrote:
What scares me is what it does to it's believers. Only alcohol seems to have the power to tun people into bigger monsters. I have had one friend and several acquaintances that turned to the cult and all turned to meglo psycho's.

Interesting, can you explain how they have changed? It what way have they seperated themselves from regular society? I'm curious to know, because I've never been quite close with any scientologists.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject:

if you thought you were scared by scientology before, read this:

Rolling Stone: Inside Scientology

and as a side note, here's a video of tom cruise dancing like a douche.

Tom the Douche
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

really? alien warlords? intergalactic cruisers? being against medicine? e-meters? thetan levels? tom cruise?

definitely frightens me more than the others...especially when you consider how they fleece everyone and charge them up the pooper to get their "teachings". oh and how the only way you can ascend the ranks of the church is if you have a lot of money.

I don't find it anymore disturbing than the overzealous Christians who denounce gays and tell people they'll go to hell if they don't follow Jesus Christ.

or the Jehovah Witnesses who think if you celebrate Halloween you worship the devil.

Or Muslims who think its acceptable to commit acts of terrorism because they don't like how certain people live and because they were asked by a "higher power" to do so.

If you don't get my point it is this: There are bad seeds and flaws in every religion/belief. And honestly I find them all to be cults until someone decides to say "Oh its a religion after all thus its acceptable"

And they can fleece from you just as easily as Scientologist difference is they access the "regular folk".
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

As oppose to raping young boys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
ocho wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

the super adventure club is another issue altogether.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
ocho wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

I don't find it anymore disturbing than the overzealous Christians who denounce gays and tell people they'll go to hell if they don't follow Jesus Christ.

or the Jehovah Witnesses who think if you celebrate Halloween you worship the devil.

Or Muslims who think its acceptable to commit acts of terrorism because they don't like how certain people live and because they were asked by a "higher power" to do so.

If you don't get my point it is this: There are bad seeds and flaws in every religion/belief. And honestly I find them all to be cults until someone decides to say "Oh its a religion after all thus its acceptable"

And they can fleece from you just as easily as Scientologist difference is they access the "regular folk".

i agree with everything you said. however, christianity, muslims, jews, buddhists etc have been around forever and have been passed down thru generations. scientology was invented by a science fiction writer. who wrote a religion that sounds like science fiction. and the other religions you mentioned aren't entirely predicated on bilking you out of money. you can be a christian without paying hundreds of thousands of dollars.

imagine if christianity didn't even tell you what it was about. kept jesus a secret, kept the ten commandments a secret and all the other stuff until you payed the church large sums of money. that's what makes scientology different.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
TACH wrote:
ocho wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

How so? They knew it was going on... and all they did was move the pedo church to church... and unfortunately this was not an isolated incident.

The point is, unless you are an atheist, you can't judge. Noah's ark, parting of seas, walking on water, getting 70 something virgin, aliens, etc., etc., all seem a little 'out there.'
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
ocho wrote:
TACH wrote:
ocho wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

How so? They knew it was going on... and all they did was move the pedo church to church... and unfortunately this was not an isolated incident.

The point is, unless you are an atheist, you can't judge. Noah's ark, parting of seas, walking on water, getting 70 something virgin, aliens, etc., etc., all seem a little 'out there.'

i was joking about something else. you're clearly not a south park fan.

my post wasn't to support the contents of christianity. i'm talking about how scientology is designed to make money, and how you can't be a member without paying huge sums of money.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
TACH wrote:
ocho wrote:
TACH wrote:
ocho wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

i was joking about something else. you're clearly not a south park fan.

my post wasn't to support the contents of christianity. i'm talking about how scientology is designed to make money, and how you can't be a member without paying huge sums of money.
My bad...
KobeBryant24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
if you thought you were scared by scientology before, read this:

Rolling Stone: Inside Scientology

and as a side note, here's a video of tom cruise dancing like a douche.

Tom the Douche

That video cracks me up everytime I see it.
KobeBryant24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject:

http://www.sptimes.com/2004/07/18/images/xlarge/A_1_sci2_175529_0718.jpg

Now that's SCARY
dubaholic1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject:

What would Towlie say?
cmonkee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject:

what I always found interesting/scary about Scientology, was that they pretty much own Earthlink. Having a religion control an ISP could get very touchy...
KobeBryant24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject:

cmonkee wrote:
what I always found interesting/scary about Scientology, was that they pretty much own Earthlink. Having a religion control an ISP could get very touchy...

They own Symantec Corp. too, the creators of Norton Anti-Virus.
Muad'Dib
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:43 am    Post subject:

Got turned around once headed to a job site off the 60 in the pass a few miles E of Moreno Valley (near Jack Rabbit Trail), and ended up on their production set/studio thing. What a trip that place was.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:45 am    Post subject:

funny story-

when i was in high school, i was leaving campus when a lady approached me. she asked me "have you seen 'battlefield earth?'.

i laughed and replied "no, i heard it was terrible"

she said "well i'm from the church of scientology and the film has been re-edited...how would you like some free tickets?"

i laughed again and said "no thanks".
Muad'Dib
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject:

Dude, Battlefield is simply celluloid genius. I rank it up there with Double Impact, Garbage Pail Kids the Movie, and Breakin' 2.
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
ocho wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

i agree with everything you said. however, christianity, muslims, jews, buddhists etc have been around forever and have been passed down thru generations. scientology was invented by a science fiction writer. who wrote a religion that sounds like science fiction. and the other religions you mentioned aren't entirely predicated on bilking you out of money. you can be a christian without paying hundreds of thousands of dollars.

imagine if christianity didn't even tell you what it was about. kept jesus a secret, kept the ten commandments a secret and all the other stuff until you payed the church large sums of money. that's what makes scientology different.

As opposed to a book that was written and rewritten a few thousand years ago by how many countless people with different versions out there and with every variation having something different? I really see no difference in either one as both were created by men.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:56 am    Post subject:

Zhengi wrote:
ocho wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
ocho wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

As opposed to a book that was written and rewritten a few thousand years ago by how many countless people with different versions out there and with every variation having something different? I really see no difference in either one as both were created by men.

again missing my point. i don't believe a single word of the bible. i'm not saying it's a factual document at all. my point was that the bible's history makes it more understandable that people believe it because it has been around for so long. christianity, as much as i disagree with it, at least offers a religion in which people can study it and believe it without paying money. hell, the gideons have been putting free bibles in hotel rooms for god knows how long. christians for the most part want to spread their word because they believe it is true and essential.

scientology is designed to make money off of people. they do not inform you of the basis of their faith until you have been in the church for years and paid large sums of money. think about that. you have to join the religion. be in it for years. pay a s-load of money. BEFORE YOU EVEN KNOW WHAT YOU ARE WORSHIPING!!!!
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:56 am    Post subject:

As much as I'd like to comment on Scientology...

...this thread is out of line with what we allow in off topic. No religious topics, please.

It is now time to worship the alter of Locky the Thread Destroyer.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: