So... its been 10 years since Pac died....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: So... its been 10 years since Pac died....

Today is the 10th aniversary of his death.

What a great guy for us to lose. Pac was da man, keepin it real till he died.

Had Malcolm X died when he was 25 he'd still be a pimp, had Martin Luther King died at 25 hed still be an unknown minister, had Quincy Jones died at 25 hed have been only a 1/10 of what he was, when Tupac was 25 he already was the most selling Rapper of all-time and the most influencial black leader of his era.

R.I.P
Kobe>Lebron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject:

Pac was amazing
Had he lived he would have went on to enact social change.
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject:

Studio Gangsta!
lakerboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject:

the don.... greatest rapper of all time

r.i.p
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject:

I was never a really big fan of Pac's (I liked a couple of his joints), however I've come to appreciate his work since his death.

Snoop's XM Channel is playing only Pac today...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
NoMoreGame7s
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: So... its been 10 years since Pac died....

AirKobe8 wrote:
....and the most influencial black leader of his era.

Thanks for the avatar, Hybrid27.
maddprophet
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject:

G.O.A.T........period.
Balki Bartokomous
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject:

Big week for milestone anniversaries or tragic ones if that. I didn't follow Pac much if at all during his life but have since bought one of his albums and must have almost 100 of his hits and credits in my mp3 collection. HE WAS RAP and still is to much of the youth today.

To give you a sense of the timeline during Pac's death, Shaq and Kobe were about 7 weeks away from both making their Laker debuts. Talk a about a period of highs and lows, emotionally.
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: 2Pac 1971-1996; A 10 Year Memorial

Some people are haunted by the moment John F Kennedy was shot in Dallas in 1963. Others remember the shock of John Lennon's 1980 killing in New York. For the hip-hop generation, though, there is only one iconic figure, Tupac Shakur, and one iconic moment, when he was gunned down in Las Vegas at the height of his notoriety and commercial success 10 years ago today.

Tupac was our Kennedy, our Lennon; our Elvis. If you were a Tupac fan in 1996 then you will remember with vivid clarity where you were and what you were doing when you first heard he was shot. Like me, you were probably also certain he’d pull through and unleash a verbal music assisted onslaught on those that had shot him. And for six days it appeared events were going according to plan.

Until three minutes past 4 PM on Friday September 13th that is. That was the moment Tupac was pronounced dead by Dr James Lovett at the University Medical Center. It came as shock to his fans and many just couldn’t let go. Tupac had been shot before; he had survived five shots including two to the head. Tupac was bullet proof. We came to the only logical conclusion; Tupac had faked his own death.

While subsequent events have silenced even the most hardened alive theorists the memory of Tupac still lives just as vividly as it did those 10 years ago. So today, on the 10th anniversary of his passing we spend the day mourning his death and celebrating his life.

Other dead celebrities are celebrated as nostalgia acts for what they once represented; Shakur remains a vital presence in today's rap world. Perhaps that's due to the volume of material he left behind. With yet another release coming our direction in November.

I finish this dedication with a quote from the immortal Tupac Shakur - “A coward dies a thousand deaths; A soldier dies but once.”

http://www.streethop.com/forum/article168427.html
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject:

theres a thread about his 10th aniversary already

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=29204
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject:

my bad
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Tupac was 25 he already was the most selling Rapper of all-time and the most influencial black leader of his era

Um. No. You just can't "give" him that honor just because of what MLK and Malcolm X went on to do after age 25. Pac was on the verge, but he was still at LEAST 5 years away from realizing his leadership abilities and putting them to good use.
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject:

I was walking down the Vegas strip when Pac got shot...when I got back to my hotel I saw a bunch of cops run outta the hotel....watched the news and heard the news. I actually saw him that day as I was at that Tyson fight.
LaLakers999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject:

chef wrote:
I was walking down the Vegas strip when Pac got shot...when I got back to my hotel I saw a bunch of cops run outta the hotel....watched the news and heard the news. I actually saw him that day as I was at that Tyson fight.

really?
Muad'Dib
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject:

Balki Bartokomous wrote:
Big week for milestone anniversaries or tragic ones if that. I didn't follow Pac much if at all during his life but have since bought one of his albums and must have almost 100 of his hits and credits in my mp3 collection. HE WAS RAP and still is to much of the youth today.

To give you a sense of the timeline during Pac's death, Shaq and Kobe were about 7 weeks away from both making their Laker debuts. Talk a about a period of highs and lows, emotionally.

Balki--you think Tupac is still alive somewhere today?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 2Pac 1971-1996; A 10 Year Memorial

Lakerfan 4 Life wrote:
Some people are haunted by the moment John F Kennedy was shot in Dallas in 1963. Others remember the shock of John Lennon's 1980 killing in New York. For the hip-hop generation, though, there is only one iconic figure, Tupac Shakur, and one iconic moment, when he was gunned down in Las Vegas at the height of his notoriety and commercial success 10 years ago today.

Tupac was our Kennedy, our Lennon; our Elvis. If you were a Tupac fan in 1996 then you will remember with vivid clarity where you were and what you were doing when you first heard he was shot. Like me, you were probably also certain he’d pull through and unleash a verbal music assisted onslaught on those that had shot him. And for six days it appeared events were going according to plan.

Until three minutes past 4 PM on Friday September 13th that is. That was the moment Tupac was pronounced dead by Dr James Lovett at the University Medical Center. It came as shock to his fans and many just couldn’t let go. Tupac had been shot before; he had survived five shots including two to the head. Tupac was bullet proof. We came to the only logical conclusion; Tupac had faked his own death.

While subsequent events have silenced even the most hardened alive theorists the memory of Tupac still lives just as vividly as it did those 10 years ago. So today, on the 10th anniversary of his passing we spend the day mourning his death and celebrating his life.

Other dead celebrities are celebrated as nostalgia acts for what they once represented; Shakur remains a vital presence in today's rap world. Perhaps that's due to the volume of material he left behind. With yet another release coming our direction in November.

I finish this dedication with a quote from the immortal Tupac Shakur - “A coward dies a thousand deaths; A soldier dies but once.”

http://www.streethop.com/forum/article168427.html

No offense, but when Kennedy died, it profoundly changed the world, especially for a generation of young american soldiers and the people of vietnam. Not knocking the cultural implications, but you're closer with the Elvis comparison than with the Kennedy one.

BTW, changing a couple words of a famous quote does not make it yours. Pac stole that from Mr. Shakespeare.
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject:

Lakers999 wrote:
chef wrote:

really?

yeah, i saw him at the fight as well as earlier in the day...him and Suge were rolling around town in droptop Bentleys (one each). those were the days.

I actually got a SWEET pic that I took of Pac smoking a cigar in a tuxedo and tophat from another Tyson fight....I dunno where it is, but if I can find it I'll post it. also got a pic of the back of the Notorious BIG's head as he was heading to a Tyson afterparty
Kobe>Lebron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject:

chef wrote:
Lakers999 wrote:
chef wrote:

really?

yeah, i saw him at the fight as well as earlier in the day...him and Suge were rolling around town in droptop Bentleys (one each). those were the days.

I actually got a SWEET pic that I took of Pac smoking a cigar in a tuxedo and tophat from another Tyson fight....I dunno where it is, but if I can find it I'll post it. also got a pic of the back of the Notorious BIG's head as he was heading to a Tyson afterparty

Got that same Pic of the back of Biggie!

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/799261/2/istockphoto_799261_elephant_tale.jpg
Balki Bartokomous
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject:

Muad'Dib wrote:
Balki Bartokomous wrote:

Balki--you think Tupac is still alive somewhere today?

I've read all the conspiracies like where Pac became the leader of some underground militia or that he would "resurrect" after the 7 year mark, 10 year, etc. Nothing ever came about so I say he is in the heavens with Elvis although their spirits might still encounter the living from time to time giving us the feelings that these musical legends are still here with us.
NoMoreGame7s
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject:

Tupac can't be counted with JFK, Elvis, or John Lennon. That's just crazy talk. If you need to lump him in and compare him to somebody else who died before his time, then compare him to Curt Cobain. That's a much more realistic comparison.

Thanks for the avatar, Hybrid27.
Tony Montana
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject:

Tupac's death bothered me more than any other celebrity death in my lifetime.

It was like Hendrix. The world was robbed of so much art, and one can only wonder what directions they would have gone had they lived longer...
dwonderful
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject:

RIP king
Chiswick to Chino
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: So... its been 10 years since Pac died....

AirKobe8 wrote:
when Tupac was 25 he already was the most selling Rapper of all-time and the most influencial black leader of his era.

R.I.P

Where'd you get this from? Lol. Riiiiiitttteee......
Chiswick to Chino
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 2Pac 1971-1996; A 10 Year Memorial

24 wrote:

No offense, but when Kennedy died, it profoundly changed the world, especially for a generation of young american soldiers and the people of vietnam. Not knocking the cultural implications, but you're closer with the Elvis comparison than with the Kennedy one.

BTW, changing a couple words of a famous quote does not make it yours. Pac stole that from Mr. Shakespeare.

You needn't feel cautious making that assertion about JFK. To compare Tupac to him is as laughable as twisting him into a black leader who caroused and stomped people with someone like Suge Knight. If Tupac is a figurehead of black society, that's pretty unnerving.

As far as the Shakespeare quote, the Tupac fans will say that he sampled that quote.
Kobe>Lebron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject:

NoMoreGame7s wrote:
Tupac can't be counted with JFK, Elvis, or John Lennon. That's just crazy talk. If you need to lump him in and compare him to somebody else who died before his time, then compare him to Curt Cobain. That's a much more realistic comparison.

Besides JFK why not?
Just because it was Hip Hop music doesnt mean ot wasnt relevant. IMO he can definitely be grouped with Lennon and Elvis.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: