Beer snobs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
C-BUS LAKERFAN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject:

Anyone try Arrogant Bastard ale? Pretty strong stuff.

I tried Sam Adam's light for the first time. I really liked it.

During the summer I drink mostly light beers. Miller lite, Sam Adam's light, Michelob Ultra, Bud Select. If I'm eating mexican food it is Dos Equis all the way.

During the winter I drink Newcastle, and Smithwick's. Those are my 2 favorite beers. I just can't drink them when it is hot out for some reason.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject:

heineken lights dont have that strong aftertaste.

Just tried the MIchelob Ultra, which I read was targeted for women. Ive got to say, its pretty smooth. ITs more of a "relaxing" beer. If your looking to get hammered, this is not your beer. Besides, if getting drunk is your thing, just go straight liquor.
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject:

JD wrote:
Lakers999 wrote:
what were you doing in Bangkok?

LOL j/k

Didn't go to Bangkok.

Pattaya City/Beach

And I could tell you... but I'd have to ask for proof of age, first.

<cough> hookers <cough>
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject:

Bass, Sam Adams Boston Lager, Anchor Steam

For all-day drinking, Pacifico.

My brother and I used to go out a lot and taste fancy beers. Now he's a regular Miller guy.

I just can't stand any of the ordinary beers anymore. Just say no to Miller High Life, MGD, Miller Lite, Bud, Bud Light, Michelob, Coors and Coors Light.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject:

so what beer taste like straight PISS when not chilled enough?

I love a cold heineken, but when its not at a right temp... MAN does it taste like crap!
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:
JD, what are your main interests in beer? Dark beers? Lagers? something light? Please say no to Coors Light!

Where are you, in CA? I find the best places to go out for a burger are those restaurants that have beers from around the world. Brickskellers in DC, Ashleys here in Ann Arbor. Is there anything like that where you live?

I drink a lot of locally brewed things, but also I like Corona (seriously, what is the big deal? It is plain, does not have a bitter taste to it), Heineken, Rolling Rock.

The darkest beer I like is Newcastle. I'm pretty open other than that... just don't like the sludge type beers.

Hell no, to Coors and Coors Light. I refer to it, by the name many that share my sentiment do... Rocky Mountain Piss Water.

I live in the Central Valley part of CA. Don't get out much, with a wife and 3 kids.

As for Corona... I used to really like it. Though, now I have to do the lime slice to really stomach it. Dunno why. I do like Rolling Rock.
surfbu
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject:

Great topic.

I used to love micro brews, non-domestic heavier beers, etc. Somewhere along the line, I started to lose my taste for them...even Guiness....which I'll still have from time to time, but over all, I find that to be a meal more than a beer. i can only have one and then I'm full. <-- whats the point?

I iwll say, I love Singha...someone mentioned that earlier...very good taste especially with Thai food.

Other than that, I am a beer bore: Stella, Coors light, Corona and if Im at Sharkees in Manhattan Beach: Pabst on tap!!

When I used to visit family in Minnesota we would drink: Hams, Schlitz, Shaeffer, Old Milwaukee.

I dont recommend any of the above mentioned Midwest beers, unless you are throwing a Frat party and you only have $20 to spend on booze.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Dorray and Ocho look most similar to what's in my house at this moment (except for that keg of Pabst). Almost exactly the same brands...which is strange. I used to have Sam Adams in my rotation, but for some reason now only seem to crave it around the holidays. Not sure what that's about.

Just came back from the Improv in Irvine. I usually go to the Yard House restaurant right across from the Improv because they have something like 200 beers on tap. Good beer + good comedy =

- That Pabst keg is underrated. Ice Cold P.B.R. (Pibber) goes down easy, especially with the heat we've had here this summer...

- The Yard House near me had 180 on tap. Here is a fun game to play during football season. 180 beers / 18 weeks of the season = 10 beers per Sunday. Drink them alphabetically giving each one a ranking from worst to best (1-10). At the end of the season, take all of your 1s and 2s (36 total) and drink 12 per week for the three weeks of the playoffs, ranking 1-12. Then drink those 1, 2 and 3s during the Super bowl (9 beers) and crown your Champion.
PushingtheLimit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject:

The BEST beer in the world IMO is Hoeggarden. You'll need to do some deep searching for it, but every sip is worth it. They have it at some Beverages and More stores, but I'm not sure about which ones exactly. I'd suggest you guys give this a shot and let me know what you think, i can guarantee you will NOT be dissapointed.
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject:

surfbu wrote:
When I used to visit family in Minnesota we would drink: Hams, Schlitz, Shaeffer, Old Milwaukee.

What? No Pig's Eye? Come on!!
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject:

PushingtheLimit wrote:
The BEST beer in the world IMO is Hoeggarden. You'll need to do some deep searching for it, but every sip is worth it. They have it at some Beverages and More stores, but I'm not sure about which ones exactly. I'd suggest you guys give this a shot and let me know what you think, i can guarantee you will NOT be dissapointed.

You mean Hoegaarden?

Here's what a beer snob had to say...

Quote:
Presentation: big ol' weizen glass

Appearance: Pale yellow, really cloudy and near opaque, big fluffy white head coming above the top of the glass.

Smell: Citrusy, spicy, with a little of that horseblanket smell that I've heard of. Not very appealing.

Taste: Bitey wheat twang. It pretty much dominates the flavor. It's really tough to drink, even more so as it warms.

Mouthfeel: Really thick and chewy. This part would be enjoyable in a good-tasting brew.

Drinkability: Ugh! I tried my hardest to finish it, and I did (Only because it was pretty expensive). This beer has nearly scared me away from wheat beer. Fortunately, there are milder types out there.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject:

The_Lakers_Show wrote:

Who did you see at the Impov? I saw Andrew Dice Clay last saturday there. He was great, and so was my jagerbomb and half yard of BudLight at Yard House.

We saw Frank Caliendo. He was excellent. Yard House + Improv =
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Beer snobs

DancingBarry wrote:
JD wrote:
Who the Hell do these people think they are? C'mon... its BEER! I don't drink it for the damn bouquet... ITS BEER! Mouthfeel!? WHAT!!!???

ITS BEER!!!

So without further ado... I give you one of the beer reviews for Samuel Adams Octoberfest

Quote:
presentation: on tap

appearance: poured a cherry dark wood color with copper highlights in a pilsner glass. (all beers in the restaurant were poured in pilsners, so i didn't say anything.) head was a good 1" when it arrived at the table. off-white in color, and lasted for a few minutes before dropping to a thin capper. laced surprisingly well.

smell: not much to say here. not very aromatic but smelled sort of metallic much like an american micro lager. there were touches of sweetness and fruit, maybe grapes, but the fruit isn't to style. no hop aroma.

taste: again, not overly impressive. there's still that anoying cheap lager metallic taste. it was hard to get past this. there was a lot of malt character, some spice and just a touch of hop flavors in the finish. some noticible diacetyl flavors, though.

mouthfeel: the best thing about this beer. medium creamy body with just enough carbonation. the swallow was moderately smooth as well.

drinkability: this began more drinkable than it finished. the metallic taste was rough. alcohol didn't hinder, but aftertaste was less than appealing. buttery bitterness made this hard to finish.

overall: to start, this isn't one of my favorite styles. i'd like to review this again from the bottle to see if any of the negatives were from the restaurant or the tap. the buttery and metallic flavors made this hard to tolerate, and they aren't normal for this style. better luck next time.

Dude... ITS BEER!

Reviewing his review: A full body of pretenciousness from start to finish and hints of bitter resentment for placing his order.

Review of your review of his review:

Slightly giddy, with a hint of impertinence
brutella
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject:

Pop wrote:
surfbu wrote:

What? No Pig's Eye? Come on!!

Interesting name, I'll give it a try nonetheless.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject:

On the other side, what are the crappiest beers to never try? I don't like Coors or Coors Light (I know it as piss water), or Budweiser.

The funny thing about Budweiser is that when I was in Ireland, all the locals loved Budweiser. They had Guinness coming out the wazoo, but Budweiser was the more highly touted import, and Guinness was the boring local brew.

I just thought it was funny.

JD, how do you feel about Asian beers? Sapporo, Tsingtao, and some others are good.

Yuengling, a brew from Pennsylvania, is also good.

These last three are not heavy or dark. Pretty light, actually, but good tasting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Michlake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject:

my favorite right now is Bass

dark, but not too heavy
NewpLakersFan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject:

Arrogant Bastard is pretty great. Ah there's a filter well it starts with a Ba and rhymes with custard
LaLakers999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject:

None of you like Guiness?
Mr.Tricky
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject:

Lakers999 wrote:
Mixed with Bass Ale (black and tan) is one of the best combo's around.
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject:

There's a filter for bastard?
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject:

Wow... no (bleep). I'll have to change that.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject:

Mr.Tricky wrote:
Lakers999 wrote:
Mixed with Bass Ale (black and tan) is one of the best combo's around.

I red this entire thread, and this is where I got thirsty. Nectar of the beer gods.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject:

Ugh. Can't stand the taste of beer. Just can't handle it, unless I'm already pretty drunk, at which point I really can't think enough to taste.

Liquor for me.

Ugh. I was drunk about a month ago at my friend's place, just a bunch of us guys getting drunk, playing video games, and "drunken chess". Drank a good bit of Jager.

So, we run out of that and I look at my friend, Zach, and ask him in a horrible drunken slur, "What else is in the refrigerator?" He tells me to go grab the bottle of "Boone's Farm" or something like that. I grab this huge bottle of this nasty stuff and just drink away. At one point, I somehow gathered myself enough to think about whether it really tasted as good as I though it did, so I asked him, "Does this stuff taste good normally? Cause I really don't know." Zack says, "Yeah man!!! That's the BEST!!!"

The next day, my other friend Darren looks at me and says, "You know why you feel like (bleep), right? It's because that "Boone's Farm" stuff. Zach said he didn't even know where it came from or how it got there, but that he did know it tastes like (bleep)!!! I started to stop ya, but figured it'd be too funny looking at you today to stop ya then."

Point of the story: Stay away from "Boone's Farm".
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
Ugh. Can't stand the taste of beer. Just can't handle it, unless I'm already pretty drunk, at which point I really can't think enough to taste.

Liquor for me.

Ugh. I was drunk about a month ago at my friend's place, just a bunch of us guys getting drunk, playing video games, and "drunken chess". Drank a good bit of Jager.

So, we run out of that and I look at my friend, Zach, and ask him in a horrible drunken slur, "What else is in the refrigerator?" He tells me to go grab the bottle of "Boone's Farm" or something like that. I grab this huge bottle of this nasty stuff and just drink away. At one point, I somehow gathered myself enough to think about whether it really tasted as good as I though it did, so I asked him, "Does this stuff taste good normally? Cause I really don't know." Zack says, "Yeah man!!! That's the BEST!!!"

The next day, my other friend Darren looks at me and says, "You know why you feel like (bleep), right? It's because that "Boone's Farm" stuff. Zach said he didn't even know where it came from or how it got there, but that he did know it tastes like (bleep)!!! I started to stop ya, but figured it'd be too funny looking at you today to stop ya then."

Point of the story: Stay away from "Boone's Farm".

Bringing up Boone's Farm in a beer thread is a lot like posting pictures of Boy George in the Jessica Alba thread. Totally unacceptable!
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Bringing up Boone's Farm in a beer thread is a lot like posting pictures of Boy George in the Jessica Alba thread. Totally unacceptable!

I concur.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: