need help with car audio - MP3 players

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: need help with car audio - MP3 players

I have a 2004 Mazda 6 with factory-installed stereo system. It's not the kind where the stereo can be changed out, or at least not easily. It is a 6-CD in dash changer stereo.

But I don't want to change it. What I want to do is add a component (it has a slot in the center which I think I could add something, like perhaps a tape player) so I can simply plug in my mp3 player or even my laptop so I can listen to music on short and especially long drives. I have an FM wireless transmitter, but it is annoying to keep changing the frequency on it, and I go through some areas where no frequency works.

I passed by Best Buy as my first destination, and they showed me an FM modulater that connects straight to the antenna, and with the cables I need to buy in addition, I can connect everything. The modulator will stay somewhere behind the stereo face, and all I will see is the cable coming out from somewhere I need to connect to. The modulator is $40, cable is $25, possible antenna adapter is another $20, and labor is $85 or so. I was told the sound is CD-quality. But I have never heard it myself.

I could also get and install a tape player and buy a tape player adapter, but I'd rather not.

Has anyone else worked with this before?

I should also add I do not own an iPod, and do not plan on owing an iPod. I use a variety of different mp3 players, and like I said, I also hook up my laptop. And I want the possibility of connecting other people's mp3 players if they ride along.

Anyone here have experience with this? I am not a car person, so I don't know what I can do, what possibilities there are, and I don't know how to get into the system and do things without totally messing them up.

What are my alternatives?

Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject:

www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103638&cp=2032058.2032231&pg=4&cp=2032058&f=Taxonomy%2FRSK%2F2032231&categoryId=2032231&kw=rca&kwCatId=2032058&parentPage=search

If you have an amp:

Connect this to the stereos rca input.
Connect Amps RCA to one end
THe other, You can get a RCA Y cable with 2 RCA males on one end and a 3.5mm male on the other. http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2427991&cp=2032058&f=Taxonomy%2FRSK%2F2032058&categoryId=2032058&kwCatId=2032058&kw=rca+to+3.5+mm&parentPage=search

Otherwise, If no amp:

Just skip the AMP Rca plug and forget about the double female RCA connector. SImply connect the Y cable into the input, discretley hide the wire and youll be able to use your MP3 players, and your laptop(out of sound card) to listen to music. Plus its direct and no static(unless you have grounding issues) and ITs the cheapest way I can think of.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject:

Laker_Town wrote:
www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103638&cp=2032058.2032231&pg=4&cp=2032058&f=Taxonomy%2FRSK%2F2032231&categoryId=2032231&kw=rca&kwCatId=2032058&parentPage=search

If you have an amp:

Connect this to the stereos rca input.
Connect Amps RCA to one end
THe other, You can get a RCA Y cable with 2 RCA males on one end and a 3.5mm male on the other. http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2427991&cp=2032058&f=Taxonomy%2FRSK%2F2032058&categoryId=2032058&kwCatId=2032058&kw=rca+to+3.5+mm&parentPage=search

Otherwise, If no amp:

Just skip the AMP Rca plug and forget about the double female RCA connector. SImply connect the Y cable into the input, discretley hide the wire and youll be able to use your MP3 players, and your laptop(out of sound card) to listen to music. Plus its direct and no static(unless you have grounding issues) and ITs the cheapest way I can think of.

Wow, thanks Laker_Town. I will give it a try.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject:

WOW! LAKER_TOWN, YOU GOTTA CHECK OUT THIS LINK!

CLICK HERE!!!
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject:

so i forgot
vandido626
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject:

you need an adaptor that goes into your cd changer input.

google PIE X3 and you should get all the info you need. it will run you about 70 bucks for everything
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: