SPL Game 7 LA vs. WAS (7/18/2006) [Bynum 10-10 FG, 25 points, 11 boards]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Yeah, I want to see Da Ocho and other guys talk about how this performance isn't even "dominant" :roll:

Bynum is the real deal. He only needs some time. He has all the tools and will develop the skills because he works very hard and wants to be an All-Star. At 18, he has another 5 years of hard work ahead of him - but if he puts in he will be a remarkable player.

Well then. Blatche must be KG after his 38 pt, 12 rebound effort the other day, huh?

Bynum is good. He'll be a starter in the league. He'll be lucky to see an all-star game.

If Bynum can eventually put up a consistent 15/12/2 effort every night, that'll be more than enough.

I agree. But the problem is that you have some homers here that think Bynum is a lock to be an All-Star, despite not being able to play well, much less dominate, the SPL consistantly.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Cardom
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject:

Farmar is good. Consistently good. Even wehn playing with injury.
- Sean -
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject:

With Bynum and Green going off...and Farmar racking up the assists...it seems like this one must have been fun to watch.
Van-Exel26
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject:

Just got back from the game, it was one of the better games of the summer. The refs actually let them play and there were hardly any whistles which created a good rhythm. The Wizards basically had only 3 players who could do anything and they made their runs when those 3 caught fire. It was also their downfall becasue all three were perimeter players and were fatigued by the time the 4th quarter hit which is when the Lakers put them away for good.

Bynum was great but the bums on our team still didn't horrible job giving him post-entry passes, especially that Powell guy. Bynum should have had a lot more touches but they just wouldn't pass him the ball. Green and Farmar were the only two that made an effort to give him the ball. Green also had a great day. He played some nice defense at certain points and a nice stroke on his jumpers. Farmar played pretty solid as well. He's still struggling on perimeter jumpers but had a couple nice floaters and did a good job playmaking. He did have a few stupid turnovers where he tried to force passes that weren't there like Sky warned us about. Slaughter was non-existent, Pinnock didn't do anything special, and Wafer was decent.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
RCS926 wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Yeah, I want to see Da Ocho and other guys talk about how this performance isn't even "dominant" :roll:

Bynum is the real deal. He only needs some time. He has all the tools and will develop the skills because he works very hard and wants to be an All-Star. At 18, he has another 5 years of hard work ahead of him - but if he puts in he will be a remarkable player.

Well then. Blatche must be KG after his 38 pt, 12 rebound effort the other day, huh?

Bynum is good. He'll be a starter in the league. He'll be lucky to see an all-star game.

If Bynum can eventually put up a consistent 15/12/2 effort every night, that'll be more than enough.

I agree. But the problem is that you have some homers here that think Bynum is a lock to be an All-Star, despite not being able to play well, much less dominate, the SPL consistantly.

Your point is valid, but at this point in time I'm satisfied with just flashes of brilliance. I wouldn't expect an 18 year old to have the experience or mental savvy that it takes to be consistent, that will come with time, both in life and on the court. It is very possible that we have a legitimate starting center on our hands by age 20. That is impressive. I think sometimes we lose perspective of the age of the prospect that we're dealing with.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject:

TheQuestForSeventeen wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:
RCS926 wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Your point is valid, but at this point in time I'm satisfied with just flashes of brilliance. I wouldn't expect an 18 year old to have the experience or mental savvy that it takes to be consistent, that will come with time, both in life and on the court. It is very possible that we have a legitimate starting center on our hands by age 20. That is impressive. I think sometimes we lose perspective of the age of the prospect that we're dealing with.

If he's going to be an All-Star one day, he'd already be consistent in SPL. the fact that he's not is worrisome.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
10scott10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
RCS926 wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

come on now. kobe didn't dominate.
in his second summer leage year.
amare and dwight at this age weren't as good.
give him time, he is improving.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject:

I guarantee Bynum will be a starter. Anything more seems to be stretching it, though.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject:

10scott10 wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:
RCS926 wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

come on now. kobe didn't dominate.
in his second summer leage year.
amare and dwight at this age weren't as good.
give him time, he is improving.

Didn't Kobe set the SPL on fire his first game with like 30 points or something?
Freakout
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:
RCS926 wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

If he's going to be an All-Star one day, he'd already be consistent in SPL. the fact that he's not is worrisome.

Please. Brad Miller has been a All-Star twice. He certainly wasn't dominating anyone when he was 18.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:
RCS926 wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

I think that Bynum may brush up against all-star status a couple of times, but I don't believe that he'll be there perenially. That being said, I disagree with the assessment that if he were a future all star he would be dominating SPL at this point. I don't think that that SPL domination is empirical evidence of a player's abilities in the NBA. If it were, Bo Outlaw would be one of the best players the game has ever seen. On the flipside of that, there have been players that didn't dominate at a young age in SPL that have developed into very good players. It's a process, and all in all, I'm happy with Bynum's progress.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject:

Freakout wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:
RCS926 wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Please. Brad Miller has been a All-Star twice. He certainly wasn't dominating anyone when he was 18.

And Brad Miller is also far more skilled and mobile.
lakers399
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject:

Kobe's a guard, he's supposed to be able to score. His average was 23, 6 and 2, which is kind of so-so.

Anyway, if you want a better perspective, then compare him to Howard and Amare. Bynum's average so far is 15, 8 and 2. Howard's first summer league was 13, 10, and 3(but only 35% shooting.) Amare was 14 and 6 AND he's a year older, so you see, Bynum already compares very favorably with those two.

No one averages 20 and 10 in the summer league. If a guy did that, he'd be an immediate superstar.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:
RCS926 wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

I think that Bynum may brush up against all-star status a couple of times, but I don't believe that he'll be there perenially. That being said, I disagree with the assessment that if he were a future all star he would be dominating SPL at this point. I don't think that that SPL domination is empirical evidence of a player's abilities in the NBA. If it were, Bo Outlaw would be one of the best players the game has ever seen. On the flipside of that, there have been players that didn't dominate at a young age in SPL that have developed into very good players. It's a process, and all in all, I'm happy with Bynum's progress.

I said he'd just be CONSISTENT at SPL. He's not even consistently playing well.
- Sean -
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject:

LeBron James wasn't consistent at 18 during the summer league. He'd go off for 25 one night...and then go 2-14 the next. In the end I think he averaged around 15 per. Obviously Bynum is no James in the sense we all saw enough of James in HS to get a feel for what he could do out there...but even then, he wasn't consistent in summer league...and it hardly mattered in the grand scheme of things.
RocknRoll
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject:

Alright, why can't we just be satisfied with the fact that he is palying good basketball. No matter what, there is no way to tell what kind of player he is going to be from some SPL games, let alone whether he is going to be a perenial all-star.

Personally, I'm just satisfied that he is becoming a solid center, developing a post game, and is willing to work hard to get better. Hopefully he will be an all-star, but you just never know until this kid gets minutes in a real NBA game.
Freakout
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
Freakout wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:
RCS926 wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

He never had those skills then.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
Freakout wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:
RCS926 wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

He's also far less defensively inclined....and his point is, although Brad Miller has been an all-star twice, he wasn't all that much to write home about at the age of 18.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject:

lakers399 wrote:
Kobe's a guard, he's supposed to be able to score. His average was 23, 6 and 2, which is kind of so-so.

Anyway, if you want a better perspective, then compare him to Howard and Amare. Bynum's average so far is 15, 8 and 2. Howard's first summer league was 13, 10, and 3(but only 35% shooting.) Amare was 14 and 6 AND he's a year older, so you see, Bynum already compares very favorably with those two.

No one averages 20 and 10 in the summer league. If a guy did that, he'd be an immediate superstar.

And Amare and Howard had the raw, natural athleticism to build upon there games. Bynum's bigger than everyone in the SPL. He should at least be CONSISTENT in SPL.

Look at any good player, he can and will be consistently good at the SPL level. Bynum isn't. He's great one minute, horrible the next. That has to be a concern if you're one of the homers who feels Bynum is going to be an All-Star.

And one other thing regarding Brad Miller: Yeah. Sure, he wasn't dominating anyone at 18. But you know what? That's why he went to college and developed his game more.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject:

sean2023 wrote:
LeBron James wasn't consistent at 18 during the summer league. He'd go off for 25 one night...and then go 2-14 the next. In the end I think he averaged around 15 per. Obviously Bynum is no James in the sense we all saw enough of James in HS to get a feel for what he could do out there...but even then, he wasn't consistent in summer league...and it hardly mattered in the grand scheme of things.

And that was LeBron's FIRST SPL. Not his second, where he knew what to expect and had a year of playing with "the big boys".
baller
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:
RCS926 wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Please thats ludacris. All high school players struggle early on. Your just looking for reasons to hate on him because you don't like the fact that people think he's going to be good. Tracy mcgrady was considered a bust after coming out of high school. Few years later they were all wrong. The spl is harder for centers anyway because they are dependent on other players. Artest isn't even consistent in the summer league. By your definition he shouldn't even be a starter in the nba he only put up 12 points in his summer game. Bo Outlaw year after year dominates the summer league, does he dominate the nba? Exactly, the main thing summer league shows is things players need to work on, and gives them some experience, thats it. Its not a projection on how players are going to do in the nba.
lakers399
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
lakers399 wrote:

And Amare and Howard had the raw, natural athleticism to build upon there games. Bynum's bigger than everyone in the SPL. He should at least be CONSISTENT in SPL.

Look at any good player, he can and will be consistently good at the SPL level. Bynum isn't. He's great one minute, horrible the next. That has to be a concern if you're one of the homers who feels Bynum is going to be an All-Star.

And one other thing regarding Brad Miller: Yeah. Sure, he wasn't dominating anyone at 18. But you know what? That's why he went to college and developed his game more.

I guess if you try to argue the stats route and gets refuted, go back to the athleticism argument :roll: Never mind that athleticism doesn't mean just hops
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject:

I'm not worried about the stats. I'm worried about his CONSISTENCY in his SECOND SPL. Not his 1st.
GoldenThroat

magic_bryant wrote:
lakers399 wrote:

But you said that if he were to become an all-star, he would be consistent in the SPL, whereas Stoudemire and Howard's performances are evidence that that is not the case.

I'm not sure exactly what your point is regarding Brad Miller going to college to work on his game. Who's to say that he wouldn't have become an all star had he started in the NBA at age 18. Kobe Bryant, Kevin Garnett, Moses Malone, Jermaine O'Neal, Amare Stoudemire, Dwight Howard, etc. are all evidence that college is not a necessity when it comes to developing your game to an all star level. I'm not sure where you're going with that one.
lakers399
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

magic_bryant wrote:
sean2023 wrote:

And that was LeBron's FIRST SPL. Not his second, where he knew what to expect and had a year of playing with "the big boys".

Lebron was also a full year older. Let's see how much deeper you want to dig yourself into.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 3 of 12
Jump to: