LAKERS -vs- WIZARDS - 7/14 - Thoughts and :-)) ratings
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:51 am    Post subject: LAKERS -vs- WIZARDS - 7/14 - Thoughts and :-)) ratings

Friday Night Hoops... This wasn't one of the more exciting games of the SPL. It did have an intriguing matchup at the center spot between Andrew Bynum and Peter John Ramos, whose size could present Bynum some challenges. There was also the much blown out of proportion previous game where Bynum took some heat for a weak effort. I certainly would have groaned about a game without Farmar (who didn't play particularly well tonight) and with Bynum sleepwalking. However, viewing that in a vacuum without taking into consideration the other previous games is faulty analysis. Bynum responded tonight with 19 points on 9-13 shooting in the Lakers 114-85 win.

It was a steady effort by the Lakers as they won every quarter before blowing it out in the fourth. Andray Blatche put in a nice game for the Wizards, scoring 26 points on 8-16 shooting in 40 minutes. He showed some improved range on his game and nice handles. The Lakers did a poor job challenging him on either end of the court, however.

Bynum -- -- Bynum went up against Peter John Ramos and Chris Burgess. Ramos is huge. He had 3 inches on Bynum and looked like he put on some pounds since last time I saw him. Bynum did a good job feeling where the defenders were tonight and using a combination of power and finesse moves. Last year, I said Bynum would be more of a complementary scorer prior to the SPL. He wouldn't create a lot of offense on his own and would likely need to be set up by others or get some garbage scores. I think that held true. This year, however, he has certainly added a variety of post moves. They all could use a bit more polishing, something that repetition and added strength will help with over time. "Andrew has skills to do anything he wants in the post," Rambis said. "He doesn't have the strength yet. We're working on stablilizing position. He's got a lot of stuff inside. He just has to develop the confidence in a given situation."

Bynum showed the jumphook, turnaround jumpers, a fade, a step-through move and a dropstep out of the post tonight on his way to 19 points on 9-13 shooting, 8 boards and 2 blocks. After the game, he said he was able to do more in the post because the defense wasn't fronting or sagging with help defenders as in the past game. He was still critical of his last game, mentioning that he played "pretty bad". When asked if he was his biggest critic, he said "No. My brother is my worst critic. He tells me to be aggressive. I heard him in the stands yelling at me."

Breaking down Bynum's offense: He posted up Ramos, got contact and turned into the middle of the lane to hit an 8-foot jumper. He spun on the baseline, took two long strides and stretched to try to get a reverse but Blatche was able to block the shot. (This wasn't one of those typical shotblocks where Bynum doesn't use his size. It was a pretty good attempt to create something out of nothing, but it left him exposed to a help defender when he had to stretch for the reverse.) Bynum got tapped on a turnaround jumper and missed a face-up elbow jumper. He drew FTs on a power dropstep on Burgess. He threwdown a dunk with Ramos at his side. He got sloppy setting a pick on the perimeter and drew an offensive foul (the second one of those I've seen this SPL...that needs to be cleaned up.) He posted up on the left block, turned into the lane and hit a jumphook (the first of the SPL for him). Bynum drew a couple more FTs when Ramos got called for trying to push Bynum out of post position. (Ramos had muscled Bynum out once early in the game, but didn't have much success later and got away with an occasional root out with one leg). Bynum posted up in low position in transition, took the entry feed, turned and dunked. In the second half, Bynum hit Douthit with a pass out of a double team, finding him under the hoop for a dunk. After hitting that jumphook on Ramos earlier in the game, Bynum turned in the lane with a similar move, then made a step through pivot to lose Ramos and score a the rim. Bynum missed a short jumper in front of the hoop. He fought for an offensive board in a crowd, got control then hit a fade in the lane. He scored over Burgess with a nice power move, bumping him twice then finishing strong with a dunk. In the fourth, Bynum scored on a controlled looking turnaround jumper. And then late in the game, Farmar zipped a great pass to Bynum in semi-transition for a dunk. So, a lot of work by Bynum with his back to the basket tonight, just needing an entry pass before going to one of several moves. It's good progress (which some people don't seem to understand), but he still needs more polish, repetition and strength, and he needs to keep his motor going. "I left him out there for some long stretches so that he got tired because he's got to play through that," Rambis said.

Bynum was a bit sloppy with the fouls tonight, save for one contest that sent a Wizard player to the floor and drew a whistle (Bynum's fourth foul of the first half). The ref crew was quick with the whistle, so any sloppy play or slight bumps usually resulted in a foul. Bynum got his money's worth, however, on that one. Later, with foul trouble, Bynum had to play a little softer on the D end and he ended up with 6 fouls on the night. Defensively, he contested a Ramos jumphook and forced an airball. He sagged too far off Ramos and gave up an open jumper. He got put into the popcorn machine by Ramos, who scored an up-and-under. But that was it for Ramos, who scored 4 points on 2-8 shooting. He swatted Blatche under the hoop and then contested the shot. "I want to improve on my fouls so I can stay in the game longer," Bynum said afterward. "Also, I want to improve on my rebounding. I had 8 today and I need to try to get 12 to 13."

Farmar -- -- An off game from Farmar. He looked more aggressive early, but couldn't connect on some shots. He also picked up a few fouls, which limited his playing time. This was his weakest game of the bunch, but he showed a little something late in the game to pick things up. He finished with 13 points on 4-9 shooting in nearly 28 minutes. He sank 1-2 threes, 4-4 FTs, pulled down 4 boards, grabbed 2 steals, but had just 1 assist. Rambis offered some praise of Farmar after the game, saying that he's a gym rat and was always very respectful, often responding with a "Yes, sir." There were a couple techs given out tonight, a couple hard fouls and some questionable whistles, but you could see Farmar respectfully discussing things with the refs and never showing them up. Rambis also complimented Farmar for liking to play on the defensive end of the court.

In the first half, Farmar threw a pass out of bounds after stealing the ball and pushing up the break. He got whistled for a blocking foul when it looked like he should have drawn the charge. He rushed a pull-up jumper and missed. He missed an open three. He missed a bank. He got swatted by Ramos on a layup attempt. He used a pick to step out and hit a three. Overall in the first half, he was playing at a bit too fast a pace and didn't pick his spots as well as he had in previous games. In the second half, the offense stalled and Farmar created on an ice situation, getting his man in the air and drawing contact for FTs with the clock low. He got his second steal with a nice defensive read to step into the passing lane when a ball was being kicked out from under the hoop. Farmar lost the ball, dribbling into traffic in the lane. In the fourth quarter, he was whistled for a sloppy hand check (using both his arms) as his man attacked off the dribble.

Then, Farmar started to pick it up a bit. He busted down court in transition, gunned it and exploded around a bigman trying to draw a block for an And-1 layup. Farmar has shown some skills with the teardrop in the SPL, tonight he sank in the lane one with his left hand. Very nice. Near the end of the game, he found Bynum with a sweet pass, pulling it back on his hip, then zipping it under the hoop for a dunk. He played the last quarter of the game more like he had in the previous games.

Perkins -- -- Doron did his best Smush impersonation in this game. Playing solid on both ends like Smush did last year in the SPL. He led all players with 4 steals and hounded the opposing guards with some tough pressure D. He stole an inbounds, poked the ball away from his man in the backcourt another time, and stole another one when his man slipped and couldn't recover before Doron reached and swiped the ball. He was also whistled for a reach that looked like a clean strip. He has a great wingspan and given the opportunity can cause problems for guards with it when they aren't careful. He led all Lakers in the first half with 13 points and finished with 19 points on 5-9 shooting (1-4 from three and 8-8 from the line). He sank a pull-up jumper off the pinch post. He attacked off another pinch post and drew a foul. He crossed over his man to get into the lane and zipped a pass to a teammate who was fouled. He swished a wing J on a drive and kick from Wafer. Perkins broke down his man off the dribble again and made a nice pass under the hoop but it was fumbled away. Perkins also dove to the floor going after a loose ball. Excellent two-way game tonight. The Lakers weren't sure if Deron was going to be on the team this summer until a day before camp started. Good to see him really step it up in this one.

Pinnock -- -- He played 21:43 of action tonight, scoring 13 points on an good 6-7 shooting. He also led all Lakers with 4 assists. He passed up on a wing jumper and worked his way into the lane for a short pull-up J. He showed some nice skills organizing the offense. On one sequence he yelled to Perkins to fill the corner spot of the sideline triangle, then he attacked off the dribble and scored an And-1 layup. He spun his man off the right block then hit hit a fade. Bynum set up low in transition and Pinnock took advantage of it with a quick pass to Drew, who turned and dunked. Pinnock cleared a lane for himself on the break with a sweet look-off that moved the defender out of his way and opened up an easy layup. He lost the handle on one baseline drive for a turnover. He sank a step-back jumper from the left side. He attacked the lane and scored another layup. Defensively, he wasn't whistled for a foul in the game. He made a nice steal at halfcourt with some pressure D. He missed a steal in the backcourt, couldn't recover and gave up a jumper.

Wafer -- -- Von scored just 2 points on 1-5 shooting and had the 1 assist, that nice attack and kick to Perkins. In the first half, he airballed a pull-up jumper, missed another open jumper and missed a stepback jumper. He seemed to be off balance quite a bit. In the second half, he scored a layup on a a speedy dropstep spin in the lane. Rambis gave Von a compliment for his second half of the game. "Von did a good job in the second half of running the offense. That's one of the things he's going to have to work on in the off guard spot," Rambis said.

Green -- -- He had 2 points in the first half, scoring on a layup and getting into a little foul trouble. In the second half, he got more aggressive and finished with 13 points on 4-9 shooting in 27 minutes. He missed a wing jumper. He missed a baseline jumper. He made a sweet crossover and spin in the lane for a layup. He threw a bad entry pass to Bynum from a poor angle and it was stolen. Out of a timeout, he iso'd on the weakside, blew past his man and scored a layup. He came up short on a three attempt, and then he knocked down a 15-footer. Not a good night from the perimeter.

Everyone Else -- -- Douthit got the start and scored 8 points on 3-5 shooting and led the team with 10 boards. He seems to find himself on the wing beyond the three line quite a bit while running the offense. It's usually not a good thing as he throws some weak entry passes, often trying to thread it through the defender on a no-looker. Occasionally, he has turned the ball over from there... Marcus Slaughter played with a lot of activity. He was only 2-8 from the floor for 9 points, but he led all players in the game with 5 offensive boards in 22 minutes. He drew some FTs with his offensive glass hustle and also scored on a tip in... Kasib Powell started and played 22 minutes. He scored 8 points on 4-7 shooting, showing some good range on several jumpers.
- Sean -
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:13 am    Post subject:

I like reading about the teardrops Farmar has been converting w/ regularity. For years I've been watching opposing PG's hit those over the fingertips of the Laker interior...and I always wished I could see a Laker PG have that move as a consistent part of his arsenal...it seems like Jordan has it down pat.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:16 am    Post subject:

Yeah, I mentioned a couple reports ago that Farmar has a lot of skills that will translate well to the NBA...that is one of them.
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:33 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB! It's funny you saying that this wasn't one of the more exciting games. Compared to Wednesday this game was VERY exciting! Hopefully one of the upcoming games will be like the Tuesday game I missed.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:33 am    Post subject:

Thanks again DB.

Though it's nice to see Bynum get some confidence, I wish there were more pro teams (with better personnel) in this year's SPL. I wonder if that is affecting the energy level of some of the players already on the roster.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:40 am    Post subject:

I'm sure it's not real interesting to see the Dallas B team after you womped them in the first game.

Rambis said after the game it would be nice to see a variety of teams instead of facing Memphis 4 times.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:48 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB!

It sounds like a good bounce back game for Andrew. I was still his 5th game in 7 days, which is a pretty brutal schedule.

I suspect Farmar was still sore from his groin injury.

Pinnock seems to have some consistency in his good play. He seems to be productive in his minutes.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:49 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
I'm sure it's not real interesting to see the Dallas B team after you womped them in the first game.

Rambis said after the game it would be nice to see a variety of teams instead of facing Memphis 4 times.

Perhaps the front office should consider sending the team to another Summer League, in addition to the SPL. For example, the same Washington team played the New York Knicks summer team just the day before in Vegas.
lakershow75
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:27 am    Post subject:

thanks.
RYZ
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:34 am    Post subject:

sean2023 wrote:

I like reading about the teardrops Farmar has been converting w/ regularity. For years I've been watching opposing PG's hit those over the fingertips of the Laker interior...and I always wished I could see a Laker PG have that move as a consistent part of his arsenal...it seems like Jordan has it down pat.

DancingBarry wrote:
Yeah, I mentioned a couple reports ago that Farmar has a lot of skills that will translate well to the NBA...that is one of them.

Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:41 pm - RYZ wrote:

Re: his shooting I think he would benefit most from (in order of triangle importance):

1) Perfecting his runner/floater/ teardrop in and near the lane ala Tony Parker

2) Developing consistent standstill range out to NBA three

3) Establish his ability to curl off and behind screens from 16 - 20' ala Bibby.

Thanks, DB.
orwell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:07 am    Post subject:

I am hoping we sign JR Pinnock!
scotter
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:22 am    Post subject:

Payton had that teardrop down pat. You just hardly saw it because he was to busy looking lost in the triangle.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:25 am    Post subject:

^^^
Van Exel had a nice teardrop too.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject:

Tony Parker was living off of them last season.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject:

Bynum showing some skills in the post is great to hear.

When the owner - Jerry Buss thinks you may be the next superstar for the franchise - then that's saying something.

I'm really happy with the Bynum/Farmar combo we have right now at C and PG. With Bryant/Odom/Radmanovic on board for a number of years, the future is looking bright.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
kevperz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject:

thanks. Bynum is looking good
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Jello Jiggler
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject:

Saw the game last night!

Bynum definitely made a case for more playing time. With more playing time, his skills will be better refined and his conditioning (lacking in game 3) will improve.

Whether he's a Laker this season (or traded for a veteran as some others here hope and pray), he definitely has the skills to be an impact big in the league.

He does not possess the quickness of a pre-surgery Amare or young Shaq (so far), but shows the understanding and fundamental footwork that made Timmy Duncan and Hakeem Olajuwon successful in the league.

On a side note, there needs to be a way for the Lakers Organization to hire the refs for Friday's game. Both Bynum and D. Green fouled out with about 5 minutes left in the game yet they still remained on the floor.
Freakout
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject:

Jello Jiggler wrote:
Saw the game last night!

Bynum definitely made a case for more playing time. With more playing time, his skills will be better refined and his conditioning (lacking in game 3) will improve.

Whether he's a Laker this season (or traded for a veteran as some others here hope and pray), he definitely has the skills to be an impact big in the league.

He does not possess the quickness of a pre-surgery Amare or young Shaq (so far), but shows the understanding and fundamental footwork that made Timmy Duncan and Hakeem Olajuwon successful in the league.

On a side note, there needs to be a way for the Lakers Organization to hire the refs for Friday's game. Both Bynum and D. Green fouled out with about 5 minutes left in the game yet they still remained on the floor.

You can't foul out of SPL games.
Jello Jiggler
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject:

Freakout wrote:
Jello Jiggler wrote:
Saw the game last night!

I thought Bynum fouled out in Game 1?
Freakout
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject:

Jello Jiggler wrote:
Freakout wrote:
Jello Jiggler wrote:
Saw the game last night!

I thought Bynum fouled out in Game 1?

Nope. Rambis just took him out.
Cardom
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject:

Pinnock for 15th spot! This guy is a steal!
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject:

Pinnock's effort seems to be there every night. He may have occasional off scoring nights, but he brings his defense every night. Pinnock and Farmar both have excellent work ethics.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject:

DB - thanks for the report. Considering that the chances are very good that Farmar and Bynum will on the team, it is good that these two players realizes this and have done the things to create a "magic connection" (pun intended) between each other - ala Magic and Worthy/Cap/etc.
LaLakers999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject:

nothing worng with 3 forums.... headlined
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: