Official SPL Game 4 LAL vs. DAL Update Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
uberzev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject:

How about the 6 assists though? Big boy got skills.
dino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject:

bynum with 6 assists and only 7 field goal attempts...nice to see him looking for his mates...
dino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject:

uberzev - took the words...
Freakout
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject:

uberzev wrote:
How about the 6 assists though? Big boy got skills.

Yeah, I wasn't there but the assists + lack of shot attempts normally mean he was getting doubled early and often. I'm definately curious to read Mike and DB's thoughts.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, the 6 assists bodes well. He's got some court vision. Don't we need another PG?

The numbers are a bit disappointing, but I agree, nothing to get anyone's panties in a bunch, though of course you can be sure the boards will be humming about trading Bynum because of them. Sounds like they missed Farmar quite a bit. What I'm most interested in seeing is how Bynum bounces back from this one. They get a day of rest, and coming back strong would be a good indicator of his mindset and determination. And yeah, I'm a bit worried about the Farmar not playing thing too...
lakers399
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject:

Nah, I hope he takes it easy. Take the rest of the games off even. Who give a damn about proving yourself in summer league games anyway, just to keep the bunch of KG-jockers happy? He's still growing into his body, so he has to be careful about pushing it.
lakers399
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject:

Well, if it's any consolation, Amare is averaging 8 fouls right now(one game he even fouled out, with 10 fouls!) It's going to be a long way back for him, if he'll ever.

Anyway, if there's one thing that can stop Bynum from greatness, it would obviously be injuries.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject:

lakers399 wrote:
LakerJam wrote:
Socks wrote:
http://www.summerproleague.com/july12game3.pdf

Lakers: 99 Mavs: 87

Bynum: 34 Min, 2 Pts, 1/7 FG, 6 Asts, 5 Reb, 2 Blocks, 2 fouls, 0 FT's

I luv you Andrew, but how can you be 7 ft, 280 lbs. in the middle and not draw a foul the entire game?

Pinnock: 30 Min, 12 Pts, 6/13 FG, 7 reb.

Wafer: 18 Min, 11 Pts, 4/10 FG,

Green: 25 Min, 16 Pts, 6/10 FG, 6 reb, 3 ast

Slaughter looks like he had a solid game with 16 pts and 6 reb in 28 minutes.

Well, we are talking about a guy who is playing his 4th game in 5 days - and since they just started playing, it stands to reason he's going to be tired. Takes a minute to get in NBA shape, no matter how much you've worked out in the off-season, then you add Bynum's mammoth size and you gotta know he's pooped.

We've seen too many NBA players suck on the 4th game in the 5th night, and it's not often the schedule is that hectic because it's so tough. It does take it's toll.

I wouldn't use this game as some huge indicator.

That's not a good excuse IMO. Right now, some teams in the summer league are playing on three consecutive days. Oh well, his stats are high enough that he can afford to take a hit, and still be among the best(as far as all-around numbers are concerned.)

It’s not about making “excuses” per se, it’s just the reality. His body doesn’t care that in Las Vegas, Joe Schmoe has played 3 days in a row. Plus, when he’s being double and tripple teamed on top of it - which not every player is experiencing - and you take away his PG who gets him plenty of easy looks, it gets hard to be effective over the hacking, wacking, pushing and pulling when you're on tired legs. You’re certainly free to discount that, but I would think it’s a fair explanation. He's got another back to back on Friday and Saturday, so it'll be interesting to see how he bounces back.

On a side note, I'm happy they're having him play all these minutes despite the many games in few days. He needs to learn and experience that because it's part of the NBA life.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject:

Freakout wrote:

Yeah, I wasn't there but the assists + lack of shot attempts normally mean he was getting doubled early and often. I'm definately curious to read Mike and DB's thoughts.

Couldn't make this game... I'd bet Bynum's energy level was probably low after playing last night.
lakers399
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, but if others are having to play the same schedule, then that means that their stats all suffer. So if you were to use that excuse, you have to take Bynum's stats as is.

I'd say the injury excuse is much better, and in this case, probably valid, as he said it outright, and doesn't know that he wasn't supposed to admit that.
bornaLAfan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject:

good point bout energy level. I also think they might have said to him take it a little easy on your knee and get the other players involved. Give em a chance to see what they can do. That might have something to do with Famar not playing to.

Man i really hope slaughter makes the cut, dude for some reason is ganna be a SOLID role player when his time comes & i jus hope it comes from us.

I dnt see wafer being around come the season, i was hoping he would blossom this spl
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject:

lakers399 wrote:
Well, if it's any consolation, Amare is averaging 8 fouls right now(one game he even fouled out, with 10 fouls!) It's going to be a long way back for him, if he'll ever.

Anyway, if there's one thing that can stop Bynum from greatness, it would obviously be injuries.
KobeShaqalliance
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject:

Bynum had nothing today. He looked totally exhausted and had no explosion whatsoever. He was struggling to get up and down the court and made no effort to post and repost. Someone mentioned that he was having knee problems and from his play today it would make sense. I think if Farmar was out there Bynum would have been better.

Slaughter brought high energy and actually hit a mid range jumper that he could not hit at SDSU (SDSU season ticket holder here). He also has improved his athleticism as he was getting up for rebounds today that he could not get in the mountain west conference last year.

Pinnock showed great explosion and even brought the backboard down with a dunk. He really needs to work on his midrange jumpshot but he does look like he can be a good defender. Green played a nice all around game.
Spirit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
lakers399 wrote:

----

Caught Ric Bucher on ESPN News yesterday talking about how Amare has not looked even close to his explosive former self. Said that if he were the Suns, he'd be concerned. When the interviewer mentioned the two summer league games in which Amare has scored 20-plus, Ric said it wasn't about the points — it was about whether Amare could recapture that unique combination of power and athleticism that made him one of the league's best.
JKDMan
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Just got back from the SPL.

This is my fourth year now at the SPL. I think I was more excited about this year than in any other, mainly because Farmar was supposed to play. To say the least I was pretty disappointed when I saw him on the bench talking to Jack Haley in street clothes as the Lakers team warmed up.

Pinnock started off the game with three very exciting plays, and had a few others here and there from that point forward. He's looking very good. Between him and Devin Green, I think we've got some quality players that will contribute to the depth of this team in the coming years. It almost seems like they are both way ahead of Von Wafer in terms of their level of activity in the game and their ability to be in and make plays.

As for Andrew Bynum, first off, he looked a lot bigger than he did at last year's SPL, especially his upper body/shoulders. The thing was that he did not use this size effectively to create space when posting. Seems like he doesn't establish himself very well as far as making himself a big target and calling for the ball. Also, it seem like there were many times where in the flow of the offense he wasn't calling for the ball at the right time or not calling for it at all. (Of course, that's tough to do when you're being double-teamed front and back. I would have liked to see him coming from the weak-side more where he cuts into the lane with single coverage right at the rim.)

On the other end of the court (when he wasn't getting beat back downcourt on fast breaks by his man, or when he was getting beat by taking his eyes off the ball), Bynum's size makes a huge difference defensively. Didn't have many blocks, but he's just big!

He had a few good post moves, but wasn't able to finish most of them. I'm sure that will come with experience. His passing game was really nice. If he doesn't contribute in scoring on any given night, he might still do very well rebounding and passing.

The most frustrating thing (I'm sure the Kareem was thinking) is that when the ball went up in the air, Bynum was easily boxed out. He often stood passively waiting to see if the shot was going in or where it might bounce. For whatever reason (tired? hurt knee), he wasn't using his feet to get into position for an offensive rebound. I never got the sense that he was tracking the ball to see how it would carom. Some guys have a knack for where the ball is going to bounce and then with an active body and feet get to it. Bynum just wasn't there today. Maybe he's just not there yet at all. If only he had Ronny's nose for the ball. With his size, he would be a monster.

In sum, I'm not rushing to judgements. I was just looking for things as a coach would in helping him to work on his game. I still think there is a lot of potential, and by potential I mostly mean size. But, there were basic fundamentals that he fell short on.

Lastly, I agree with the posts about Farmar possibly making Bynum look better. But this is the SPL, you want to expose the weaknesses so they can be worked on.

- Dezmal
lakers399
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject:

Another good news about Bynum is that he's averaging "only" 3.75 fouls right now. That might seem like a little high in the NBA, but it's actually very good in the SPL. In fact, per min, he might be the best, among bigs.

To get an idea of how easily bigs foul in the SPL, let me give some examples from the top big guys in this year's draft: Andrea Bargnani 7.7 fouls in 29 min, Aldridge 6.2 fouls in 33 min, Tyrus Thomas 4 fouls in 29 min, Patrick O'Bryant 7.3 fouls in 21 min.

In general, if you average 4 or less fouls in 30 min, you're doing very good. If Bynum can keep up this "non-fouling" rate, then he'll be able to get a lot of minutes, and that will translate to stats.
Quack
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject:

I just got back from the game, and i was into the game until that mascot cow was dancing to "snap yo fingers", if you were there, u now how classic that was
KobeBryant#24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject:

The cow wasn't as funny as last night.

This thread says "Game 4" but isn't today game 5?

Bynum didn't feel like playing today.

Seems like Farmar already proved his case and coaches are giving other guards more playing time.

Pinnock had a sick dunk where he passed the ball to himself in mid-air and threw it down hard, to which Dallas coach called for a technical crying about it being a pass to himself.

This game was a bore to me.
Quack
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject:

When pinnock brought the rim down after his dunk, the game could go nowhere but down,that was sick
Alpha

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject:

^dang... please tell me LPB is posting clips of the game.
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject:

lakers399 wrote:
LakerJam wrote:
Socks wrote:
http://www.summerproleague.com/july12game3.pdf

Lakers: 99 Mavs: 87

Bynum: 34 Min, 2 Pts, 1/7 FG, 6 Asts, 5 Reb, 2 Blocks, 2 fouls, 0 FT's

I luv you Andrew, but how can you be 7 ft, 280 lbs. in the middle and not draw a foul the entire game?

Pinnock: 30 Min, 12 Pts, 6/13 FG, 7 reb.

Wafer: 18 Min, 11 Pts, 4/10 FG,

Green: 25 Min, 16 Pts, 6/10 FG, 6 reb, 3 ast

Slaughter looks like he had a solid game with 16 pts and 6 reb in 28 minutes.

Well, we are talking about a guy who is playing his 4th game in 5 days - and since they just started playing, it stands to reason he's going to be tired. Takes a minute to get in NBA shape, no matter how much you've worked out in the off-season, then you add Bynum's mammoth size and you gotta know he's pooped.

We've seen too many NBA players suck on the 4th game in the 5th night, and it's not often the schedule is that hectic because it's so tough. It does take it's toll.

I wouldn't use this game as some huge indicator.

That's not a good excuse IMO. Right now, some teams in the summer league are playing on three consecutive days. Oh well, his stats are high enough that he can afford to take a hit, and still be among the best(as far as all-around numbers are concerned.)

Agreed.

If he has a good game - say so.

If he performs poorly, acknowledge that as well.

I wasn't at the game and so I only have the poster's recap to rely upon. But if he did, in fact, have a bad game, then I sincerely doubt that the coaching staff is telling him, You had a bad game today, Andrew. But since you were tired, we're gonna give you a pass.
magic2worthyslamdunk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: My take on the dallas vs laker game 7/12

Farmar did not play today.. I don't know why... perhaps they wanted him to rest.

Jr pinnock was by far the best player on the laker squad today.. he played great on both ends of the court.

Bynum must have decided to take the day off. He looked really out of synch. he even got blocked on a dunk attempt. I just don't see fire in him... but I hope i'm wrong. Maybe it was one bad game. I just hope he shows more passion. He looks like he is still a bit out of his element. He was constantly double teamed. He finished with 2 points I believe.

I don't know what the staff sees in devon green or wafer.. I felt green holds the ball 2 long and does not make good decisions. Wafer should be played at shooting guard, but they keep trying to use him as a PG on offense. He was okay today.
Overall, The game was fairly uneventful... aside from Pinnock's nice play.
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject:

I've heard repeated references to some sort of "knee injury" hampering Bynum.

QUESTIONS:

1) Has there been any confirmation of any such injury, either by him or the team?

2) If so, and it's serious enough to affect his play, why the heck was he even out there?
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject:

KobeBryant#24 wrote:

<snipped>

Pinnock had a sick dunk where he passed the ball to himself in mid-air and threw it down hard, to which Dallas coach called for a technical crying about it being a pass to himself.

Are you serious?

In a summer league game? :roll:

Lemme guess. Delmer is coaching the Mavs, huh?
LVLAKERFAN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: My take on the dallas vs laker game 7/12

magic2worthyslamdunk wrote:
Farmar did not play today.. I don't know why... perhaps they wanted him to rest.

Jr pinnock was by far the best player on the laker squad today.. he played great on both ends of the court.

Bynum must have decided to take the day off. He looked really out of synch. he even got blocked on a dunk attempt. I just don't see fire in him... but I hope i'm wrong. Maybe it was one bad game. I just hope he shows more passion. He looks like he is still a bit out of his element. He was constantly double teamed. He finished with 2 points I believe.

I don't know what the staff sees in devon green or wafer.. I felt green holds the ball 2 long and does not make good decisions. Wafer should be played at shooting guard, but they keep trying to use him as a PG on offense. He was okay today.
Overall, The game was fairly uneventful... aside from Pinnock's nice play.

Thanks for the recap. What were Pinnock's stats like?
AD/MORRIS/DUDLEY
GASOL/HARRELL/TINKLE
Coachs:Vogel/Kidd
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Game Updates All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: