LAKERS -vs- GRIZZLIES - 7/11 - Thoughts and :-)) ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike_dee23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:52 am    Post subject:

Even though it appears as if Bynum is still getting overmatched at times, I like that he is taking it right back to his opponents. The kid will have a few starts by the end of next season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
RYZ
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Brilliant, DB... I actually felt like I was at the Pyramid during the Farmar sequences.

I was at the pyramid, and I'll be darned if you didn't completely re-create the excitement down the stretch.

Thanks, DB.

Two things:

1. There was still way to much poor entry passing coming from up top last night. It's such an easier pass from the corner when Bynum is is being side-fronted like that, because it's so simple a seal for him. If you want to talk about Andrew going for 30, change the angle on those entries; he would've had it easily.

2. Pinnock clearly demonstrated last night that he has the kind of ball-handling skills suitable for spot initiation duty only when another true handler is in the game, much the same as Von Wafer (witness his almost getting hit in the face by a Douthit inbound pass). Neither of these two need to be out there as primary ball handlers for more than 45 sec. at a time. As a summertime experiment, it's all well and good, but I wish the Lakers would sometimes just let guys go out and do what they do best, rather than forcing them into things their not particularly equipped for.
limchrc
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject:

Good to hear Bynum and Farmar are playing well.
patmcfar8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
DB, I love you.

Yup, me too... seriously this is the ONLY source of the summer league worth reading. I cannot thank you enough!
vvbandit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB, anybody else think Smush should be playing in the SPL instead of watching?
TheBigRuski
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject:

DB....a true part of Lakers Nation...DB, you should go on staff!
Prometheus8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject:

Great work DB. I almost feel like I was there.

Very exciting to hear about Farmer.
don ford
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject:

Others have thanked you already, but I want to shout out as a representative of the 'little people' / lurkers . . . I may keep quiet in general on this board, but since your first update I am dying to see each of your next SPL updates after the games . . . the news on Bynum & Farmar is just great stuff to read. Thanks !
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject:

[/quote]

1. There was still way to much poor entry passing coming from up top last night. It's such an easier pass from the corner when Bynum is is being side-fronted like that, because it's so simple a seal for him. If you want to talk about Andrew going for 30, change the angle on those entries; he would've had it easily.
[/quote]

Not just that. A handful of times, the post entry passes were too early in the offense, easily mistimed. The pass can be thrown from the corner or diagonal, but the key is, the players must be in their spots so that the offense can read the defensive properly.

Quite a few passes came in early to Bynum while the corner player was in the middle of cutting; his defender already shading Bynum on mid-cut.

Poor execution. Lack of patience.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject:

RYZ wrote:
Pinnock clearly demonstrated last night that he has the kind of ball-handling skills suitable for spot initiation duty only when another true handler is in the game, much the same as Von Wafer (witness his almost getting hit in the face by a Douthit inbound pass). Neither of these two need to be out there as primary ball handlers for more than 45 sec. at a time. As a summertime experiment, it's all well and good, but I wish the Lakers would sometimes just let guys go out and do what they do best, rather than forcing them into things their not particularly equipped for.

Problem with that is that guards in the triangle have to be able to handle the ball. It’s a 2 guard front whereby both players should be capable of assuming some initiating duties or at least being competent with the ball. When they can’t, they weaken offense. Plus, if you’re looking at who to keep and that last spot is uber competitive, you’re going to take the most complete and ready player - thus, you need to put guys in different situations with different responsibilities, to see how they do. Because of that, Rambis must make the guards properly run the system to see if they’ll be capable of it in the big time, and to also give them a legit chance to make the team. Otherwise, how are we going to know if they fit? They may prove better suited to what another team runs OR we may make the mistake of cutting them because we’ve assumed that they’re strengths are x, y & z.

As for Pinnock, he may have struggled a bit last night, but he’s been pretty solid and impressive for the most part. I’m curious to see how he’ll bounce back. As for Wafer, I don’t know. I keep having hope for this kid, but he just seems like he doesn’t “get it” and hasn’t improved at all.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject:

vvbandit wrote:
Thanks DB, anybody else think Smush should be playing in the SPL instead of watching?

You know, I’m so glad Smush came out to watch. If that doesn’t push him to stay here and work hard on his game this off-season instead of spending all his time in New York, nothing will.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject:

targetman wrote:
Why do you think Farmar seems to be so comfortable in the triangle? It takes some players a few years to pick up, and it seems like he has a good handle on it already. Is it similar to what Howland was using at UCLA orare we just not used to seeing a smart point guard on the Lakers?

I didn't include the quotes, but after the game Farmar restated that it was just easy to him: "It's pretty basic to me. Basic basketball principles." He said it's how he would play if he was in a pick-up game. Someone asked if being in L.A. and watching the Lakers helped. He said, "Being a student of the game, I love watching ... being a home town kid, that probably has something to do with it."
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:
How big of a range does Bynum have in his game? Can he step out and hit the 15 footer?

Not yet. His form on his jumpers and freethrows looks better, but he needs more reps and practice to knock them down with consistency.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject:

Farmar puts up 10 points and 5 assists, and I think he'll be right up there with Kobe in popularity (when it comes to the LA area)

Anyone think it's realistic for him to put up 10/5 this season if he got the minutes?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Farmar puts up 10 points and 5 assists, and I think he'll be right up there with Kobe in popularity (when it comes to the LA area)

Anyone think it's realistic for him to put up 10/5 this season if he got the minutes?

Only if he was starting...
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
targetman wrote:
Why do you think Farmar seems to be so comfortable in the triangle? It takes some players a few years to pick up, and it seems like he has a good handle on it already. Is it similar to what Howland was using at UCLA orare we just not used to seeing a smart point guard on the Lakers?

I didn't include the quotes, but after the game Farmar restated that it was just easy to him: "It's pretty basic to me. Basic basketball principles." He said it's how he would play if he was in a pick-up game. Someone asked if being in L.A. and watching the Lakers helped. He said, "Being a student of the game, I love watching ... being a home town kid, that probably has something to do with it."

Sounds like he plays pickup games the way I do.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

Honestly, nothing this kid does would surprise me because he's so smart, so competitive and just has a tanacity and will to win I LOVE! Can't believe I was opposed to his being our pick, and I couldn't be happier that he's showing me how wrong I was about him fitting in to this system!
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject:

RYZ wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
Brilliant, DB... I actually felt like I was at the Pyramid during the Farmar sequences.

I was at the pyramid, and I'll be darned if you didn't completely re-create the excitement down the stretch.

Thanks, DB.

Thanks RYZ and puppy.

Quote:

No doubt. The partial fronting done by the Grizzlies gives up good position if you can take advantage of it. When the Lakers had Shaq and DFish, you would often see us run a ball reversal at the top of the key while Shaq was being defended like this. He would seal his man and we'd zip it quickly to Fisher in the corner, who would bounce an entry pass to Shaq who had his man sealed for an easy score. This corner sequence is a great counter play, but...as Kurt mentioned...they aren't there yet. They did better than the first game, but definitely couldn't take advantage of this like they should have. And, had they, Bynum would have scored a bunch more, as you mentioned.

Quote:

2. Pinnock clearly demonstrated last night that he has the kind of ball-handling skills suitable for spot initiation duty only when another true handler is in the game, much the same as Von Wafer (witness his almost getting hit in the face by a Douthit inbound pass). Neither of these two need to be out there as primary ball handlers for more than 45 sec. at a time. As a summertime experiment, it's all well and good, but I wish the Lakers would sometimes just let guys go out and do what they do best, rather than forcing them into things their not particularly equipped for.

I think he's got the skills to ball handle. He's much better than Wafer at this...but it is still an adjustment. Kareem Rush was waaay out his element doing this. Wafer was better, but it's still not something he is very comfortable doing. He'd be better as just a microwave two-guard who has a green light coming off the bench. In the three games, Pinnock has shown far more skills that those two with his handles, but it's still a little out of his comfort zone at times.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject:

DB, the masses are loving your Chick impression of giving everyone a [written] word's eye view. Very cool of you to take the time to prepare that, as you obviously noted details of the game as it went on.
BygDaddy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject:

I was at the game and I thought Pinnock was really good especially with his handles. He brought the ball up the court several times in the game and was getting pressure on the ball but he didn't really turn it over on the dribble. The pass at the end of the game was bad but he knew that. He didn't really score until the final 6 minutes of the game but we were down 9 at the time and then Pinnock made 2 good offensive plays. He drove the lane and got free throws and got an AND 1 layup. He also had a great steal in the first half that lead to a breakaway dunk for Farmar.

Bynum played well and should've had 30 but was shooting FTs like Shaq but he has much better form and it can easily be improved. He made some good dropsteps and took the ball up with power 3 times by hooking with his elbow while both hands were on the ball so they wouldn't get called in a game. They looked like a Shaq type move. He changed several shots on D. He sealed well when they tried fronting him but nobody got him the ball from the corner.

Farmar dribbles too much IMO. He should swing the ball and let the offense work and he missed Bynum a couple of times. One was when Bynum had his defender sealed and Farmar was in the corner but didn't look up quick enough to see it and the other was a lob in transition in the 4th quarter. He gambled on the pressure defense and let the other guard get by him too much for my taste. He played a decent game overall and is really good going to the basket for his size.

The biggest thing I came back with was that Horvath was awful.

The funniest part of the game was when one of the referees had to toss the ball up on a jump ball 3 times and couldn't get it right until another referee had to toss it right. At the end of the game that referee made a very questionable pushing call at the end of the game and got booed loudly by the entire crowd.
koolruningz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject:

Thanks so much for the recaps DB.
For Laker fans like myself it seems like all the action is taking place on another planet as hoops doesnt get much coverage over this side of the world. But your insightful reports put the reader right there, great job.
Im loving what im reading about Bynum and Farmar, put that combo with Kobe, Lamar and Kwame (if he can learn the PF position) in a few years and i like our chances.
cmonkee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
DB, I love you.

DB
KevDog
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Honestly, nothing this kid does would surprise me because he's so smart, so competitive and just has a tanacity and will to win I LOVE! Can't believe I was opposed to his being our pick, and I couldn't be happier that he's showing me how wrong I was about him fitting in to this system!

Thanks DB. Your work is far more appreciated than you can imagiine. I have taken to sharing your recaps with an email Laker group and EVERYONE loves them!

As to the poster. It's so good to see people getting excited about Farmar and to see him change some peoples minds about the pick. In Farmar and Bynum, it's like we've had two years of top 5 picks.I love it!
halosage
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject:

Hats off to you DB...great analogy of the game.

Farm Boy and Big Baby! Awesome duo!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: