SPL Game 3. LAL 87, MEM 84
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArrOhBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
ArrOhBee wrote:
why does Kurt Rambis have Devin Green gaurding Warrick?

Because Green shut him down for a 4 of 11 game on Saturday.

oh
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject:

ArrOhBee wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
ArrOhBee wrote:

oh

That's all it took to convince you? Really doesn't help your negative Bynum stance, now does it?
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
LakersPlayoffBound
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject:

Hey Mike. Thanks for the detailed recap. I could not make it down to Long Beach. With three SPL games completed, we can bring up the topic of player consistency. Of all of the Laker players, Farmar seems to understand the fundamentals on offense - spacing the floor and being able to read the opposing defense to either dish out the rock to his teammates or taking it to the basket - good qualities of a decent PG. As for Pinnock, my favorite SPL player behind Farmar, hope he bounces back in game 4. I guess Tex was right about his assessment of Farmar - a very good "system" player.

With a total of eight Lakers games at the SPL with games against the Mavs, Grizzlies, and Wizards, players like Farmar will show consistency in terms of his responsibilities at his position while others like Pinnock, Von Wafer, and Green may have up and down games against teams prepared for them after multiple games with the Lakers.
ArrOhBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
ArrOhBee wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
ArrOhBee wrote:

oh

That's all it took to convince you? Really doesn't help your negative Bynum stance, now does it?

it just didnt make sense to me when i was watching the game today since Warrick has a big height advantage and green isnt a good post defender
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject:

Quote:

it just didnt make sense to me when i was watching the game today since Warrick has a big height advantage and green isnt a good post defender

Except Warrick is 6'7-1/2" w/o shoes and Green is barely an inch shorter.

Plus, how would you know Green isn't a good post defender?

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
ArrOhBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

just my opinion since Green usually gaurds perimeter oriented players

i dunno i just thought it was a mismatch and slaughter would have matched up better with warrick
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

Because he has preconceived notions about our players and any little thing makes him do a double take. "Ohhhh. Bynum got dunked on. Oh no. Trade him. Devin guarding an elite athlete..? Wha..? I rarely saw him do anything last year. He sucks."

:roll:

Sorry ArrOhBee, you seem overly negative.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject:

Quote:

i dunno i just thought it was a mismatch and slaughter would have matched up better with warrick

Because Devin defends perimeter oriented players has zero reflection of his total defensive abilities.

Slaughter couldn't keep up laterally.

ArrOhBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject:

im not even going to comment on Bynum anymore because i dont want to get in trouble
ToughKarl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject:

Mike, you still have any doubt about Farmar competing in the NBA?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:43 am    Post subject:

ToughKarl wrote:
Mike, you still have any doubt about Farmar competing in the NBA?

Nope. The athletic tests were there. Hoop IQ was there from UCLA. Wingspan was a concern and still is.

He cleared up a few questionable areas defensively tonight.

Otherwise, still was a top 3 player on the list, as did most of the mods and others wanted in the draft.

The only arguable guys with Farmar were White, Ager, and Collins.

Ager is killing in Dallas.
White is killing defensively with decent O at Indiana.
Farmar is killing in LA.

markkk89
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:57 am    Post subject:

ArrOhBee wrote:

cuz warrick is just stuck between PF and SF but is an SF in the NBA. and is useless when it comes to NBA post game.
markkk89
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:58 am    Post subject:

white liked that guy for LA
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:29 am    Post subject:

ArrOhBee wrote:
Bynum got dunked on by Hakim Warrick!

Bynum got blocked by Dickandopolis! aka the Greece Center with no hops!

im not to sure about Bynum

You can't draw any conclusions from 1 play, 1 game, 1 summer. Kid is 18. We have to be happy with improvements, and he's showing that in spades. Mistakes, bad timing, inexperience - these are all elements we should expect and not assume the worst over.

Last edited by LakerJam on Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:43 am; edited 1 time in total
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:39 am    Post subject:

ArrOhBee wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

Yes, but Green isn't much smaller than Warrick and has that freakish wingspan and is deceptively strong. Plus, since he's a perimeter player, he has a quickness advantage.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:41 am    Post subject:

ArrOhBee wrote:
im not even going to comment on Bynum anymore because i dont want to get in trouble

Don't worry about it. You just need to keep a bit of an even keel about it. For the most part, Bynum is looking so much better this year as opposed to last year, but you can't expect perfection either. He IS only 18 years old, even though he's a manchild.
jmark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: SPL Game 3. LAL 87, MEM 84

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:
The Game

Game 3 began with Duke’s Nick Horvath and San Diego State’s Marcus Slaughter in the starting lineup, alongside JR Pinnock, Jordan Farmar, and Andrew Bynum. The game began sluggishly. After an early 8 to 3 lead in Memphis’s favor, the Lakers closed the game to 20-19 at the end of the 1st quarter. By halftime, the Lakers took a 47 to 46 lead over Memphis, with Bynum scoring 14 points with 4 boards in just over 15 minutes.
The 2nd half was a telling story of the game. After the Grizzlies pulled a 5-point lead at the end of the 3rd, the Laker defense held fort in the 4th quarter. The Grizzlies were held to 11 points in the 4th quarter, which opened the window for the Lakers to win. Andrew Bynum hit 2 critical free throws in under a minute of play to give the Lakers a 2-point lead. Farmar sealed the game with a baseline pick and roll situation, utilizing a slight hesitation move on Lowry all the way for a layup. He was also key in providing 2 critical defensive stops with under 34 seconds to go, contesting 3-point shots, both missed, by Anthony Roberson....

http://lakers.mostvaluablenetwork.com/general/spl-game-3-lal-87-mem-84/
Good stuff Mike. Thanks. Farmar sounds like the real deal.
scottpot29
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:30 am    Post subject:

Hey, isn't Bynum the best center in the league!!! I would say he is, becuase on ONE play, in ONE game last year, he dunked on Shaq!!!

Therefore either Bynum is the new Most Dominant Ever, or Shaq should be be cut and left out to dry in some YMCA pick up game.
Lakers 71-72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:47 am    Post subject:

Isn't the guy's name Glyniadakis? I could understand if Glyniadakis was an idiot, then you might modify his name, a la, Bill Lambtear...but really...
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:08 am    Post subject:

From the article:

Quote:
Speaking of dunks, he’s playing with more authority, dunking with contact and from his own shot creation. He showed dramatic improvement with his ability to finish against the guy he struggled against just last Saturday. He also has only 1 recorded blocked shot, but did come out to help more effectively in the 4th quarter. He finished with 24 points on 8 of 11 from the field (among half the field goals being dunks), 8 of 15 from the stripe, 7 rebounds, 1 assist, and 1 blocked shot.

This is good to hear. I know that Memphis isn't sporting a very talented or big SPL team, but IMO, that's not the point when it comes to Bynum. He needs to continue to show a mindset that he's gonna bring the noise each and every time he's in the area code of the cup. No soft play allowed - regardless of the comp.

On Farmar...

Though disappointed that the Lakers didn't make any moves on draft night, I really can't complain about Farmar's selection. Very smart player. It's no surprise to me that he's been able to grasp the basic offensive sets so quickly. Another thing that I think will come out about Farmar is that he's a "gamer." Kobe will enjoy knowing that he will have at least one other player who he can count on to be mentally focused in crunch time.

Farmar's presence will tell us a lot about Smush Parker. No doubt a message has been sent. Will he step up to improve? Or will he shrink from the competition?

I think that he'll step up.
rchanou
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject:

Haven't had the chance to go to any of the 3 SPL games. I was wondering if the refs are calling these games like NBA games (i.e. Traveling hardly called, Hand checking rule).

Thanks
mirak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject:

And 1 wrote:
From the article:

Quote:
Speaking of dunks, he’s playing with more authority, dunking with contact and from his own shot creation. He showed dramatic improvement with his ability to finish against the guy he struggled against just last Saturday. He also has only 1 recorded blocked shot, but did come out to help more effectively in the 4th quarter. He finished with 24 points on 8 of 11 from the field (among half the field goals being dunks), 8 of 15 from the stripe, 7 rebounds, 1 assist, and 1 blocked shot.

This is good to hear. I know that Memphis isn't sporting a very talented or big SPL team, but IMO, that's not the point when it comes to Bynum. He needs to continue to show a mindset that he's gonna bring the noise each and every time he's in the area code of the cup. No soft play allowed - regardless of the comp.

On Farmar...

Though disappointed that the Lakers didn't make any moves on draft night, I really can't complain about Farmar's selection. Very smart player. It's no surprise to me that he's been able to grasp the basic offensive sets so quickly. Another thing that I think will come out about Farmar is that he's a "gamer." Kobe will enjoy knowing that he will have at least one other player who he can count on to be mentally focused in crunch time.

Farmar's presence will tell us a lot about Smush Parker. No doubt a message has been sent. Will he step up to improve? Or will he shrink from the competition?

I think that he'll step up.

Couldn't agree more. Especially the part about Smush. Competition is a good thing. Will Smush rise to the occasion or will he shrink from lack of confidence (as we saw happen with Kareem Rush)?

I think Smush has that competitive spirit, he has the physical tools, and I hope he applies himself this summer. If nothing else, watching Jordan Farmar steal the show on the stage he made his own last season must be a powerful motivating factor.
lakers1969
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject:

ArrOhBee wrote:

The kid is only 18 years old and with less expereince in high school but he has a terrific work ethics and being trained by Alcindor. Just wait for a year or two and see if he is a BDE material.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject:

Hey for those who have wathced the games: Has bynum earned an inch or two in his vertical?(hopefully more)

Or if anyone has a before and after pic.. thanks.
jwbrown77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject:

Mike:

I like what I'm reading about Farmar's hoop IQ. I really wasn't convinced at all on game day with this pick, but if he plays well I'm more than willing to admit I was wrong.

From everything you and DB are writing about him, it seems like his IQ is through the roof and you seem to think highly of his very rapid assimiilation of the triangle.

I posted this in another thread, but if Farmar really plays smart basketball, I can see him getting serious minutes this year. We all know Phil prioritizes IQ over athleticism.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: