SPL Game 1. Lakers 87, Memphis 89
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: SPL Game 1. Lakers 87, Memphis 89

Quote:
The Game

The Laker starters include Devin Green, Marcus Douthit, Andrew Bynum, Jordan Farmar, and Von Wafer. The Lakers started sluggishly and were down by 16 in the 2nd quarter, largely due to giving extended playing time to the non-starting Laker players. The scoring run to cut the lead didn’t come to late in the 3rd, eventually pulling a 2 point 4th quarter lead. The Laker coaches tend to put the best players of the game in the closing minutes, and within the last 5 minutes of the game, Green, Douthit, Bynum, and Farmar were in. Wafer was subbed out, as Pinnock had himself a very good game. Pinnock created a shot with under 7 seconds left, pushing the ball up-court and taking a pull up jump-shot from 15′, wide right. In the end, turnovers from poor execution from Douthit and Green cost the Lakers the lead, and eventually the win.

The Grizzlies

None of the standout players from the Grizzlies played. Alexander Johnson, Memphis’s 2nd round pick, had minimal impact on the game with 6 points, 4 rebounds, and 6 fouls in 12 minutes. ...

http://lakers.mostvaluablenetwork.com/general/spl-game-1-lal-87-mem-89/

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
LakersPlayoffBound
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject:

Hi Mike. I'll use your thread to include my video contributions...

SPL - 7/8/06 - Lakers/Grizzlies

1st Half - http://rapidshare.de/files/25338145/SPL-070806-1stHalf.mpg.html

2nd Half - http://rapidshare.de/files/25340891/SPL-070806-2ndHalf.mpg.html

Last edited by LakersPlayoffBound on Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject:

Mike, any word on A-Bomb??
Vlade
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject:

Well just one game, but sounds like Green, Farmar and Pinnock are keepers, while Wafer is a dud.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject:

lakers0505 wrote:
Mike, any word on A-Bomb??

Read the link.

KobeBryant#24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject:

Thanks a lot 'Lakersplayoffbound'! Great video.

Farmar appears to be a good shooter while Bynum is by no means strong enough for the NBA yet. He's still just an 18 year old kid. I'll wait patiently 2 more years for this guy without any complaints.
Jacko
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject:

When are the boxscores going to come out man!!!
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject:

It's strange to hear good things from Green yet he made mistakes along with Douthit that cost them the game?

Also was hoping Bynum would dominate... 18 or not, he's huge... at least he sounds more aggressive. I hope Pinnock develops, because right now Wafer looks like he's going to be out...
puertorock33
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject:

I was very impressed with Farmar today. His first points came off of a steal and showed great court vision and connected with Bynum on two lobs. He played really good D. Bynum played ok in my opinion. He got in to foul trouble early with 2 quick fouls but the refs today were HORRIBLE. They did not let these guys play. Bynum got the bad end of a couple of calls. Its as if the Refs were thinking, "if i called more fouls, i can get into the NBA too!". Bynum finished big on one two handed jam after picking up a rebound but he still seems a bit slow on his explosion to the rim. And he was showing the ball too much look he did in a lot of games last year. Combine that with the slow jump and you get a block shot which is what happend to him on one play. He should've got a dunk.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject:

The only mistake Green made all night was the in-bound pass.

The way he played the rest of the game was excellent. Really, I can't say enough about his decision-making and subtle playmaking abilties.

oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject:

Looks like Bynum was trying to be agressive. I saw him fighting for position alot, but a little overdribbling by the guards. Alot of missing screens by players also. I noticed in one of the clips when Bynum held the ball too long, he was waiting on the cutter who was busy running around at the top of the key like a chicken with his head cut off. I can understand part of the reason why Bynum didn't put up bigger numbers in this game, it looked more like they were running the box rather than the tri. Maybe they should consider running something real simple just for the spl. Maybe the Preschool tri??? I hope AB doesn't wear those socks during the season Have to see more of Farmar, looks like he though he was Kevin Johnson or somebody by his body language.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject:

oldschool,

They only ran 3 different versions of the triangle offense. All 3 are going to be used during the regular season.

They're not even running the complicated sets, let alone go that deep into them.

At one point, it was so awful within the offensive set, I actually saw all 5 players in the paint before a shot was taken. Spacing couldn't be poorer than that.

oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject:

Mike-Would it be beneficial to run something other than the tri for these games? I know that the coaching staff will be looking for people who can fit their system, but at the same time you don't want to pass up on a potential player either. Do you think that for the players who are going to make the team that this small amount of time with a basic tri, all while trying to beat out other players for spots, really contributes to their understanding of the triangle? Guess they really want to focus on getting the younger players acquainted with the system. By the way, were they doing anything special on defense, or was it just a generic defense?
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject:

Mike - Do you think if Green continues to play like this, he will get some PT for the season?
JimmyPage
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject:

So does Pinnock at this point look better than Wafer did in last year's SPL? It seems like similar things were being said about Wafer last year, then he did absolutely nothing during the year and apparently didn't look like NBA material today either.

I'm hopeful for Pinnock because that's exactly the kind of player I'd like, I'm just hoping this is for real and not Wafer-itis.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject:

No.

If the players aren't running the tri now, they'll be that much farther behind the guys that have been running it from 1-4 years.

The guys cut themselves with or without the triangle offense.

Special on defense? Well, I saw a lot of Farmar anticipating passes well, but sub-average job getting blown by Harrington and Roberson (The guy Smush shutdown last year for 94 feet), and a worse job going behind pick and roll situations. Had the worst time trying to defend SGs. Forget that idea.

No zones or anything, the triangle is complicated enough to learn within a short time the team is together.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject:

tgf5 wrote:
Mike - Do you think if Green continues to play like this, he will get some PT for the season?

He better. As long as he hits those jumpshots.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject:

JimmyPage wrote:
So does Pinnock at this point look better than Wafer did in last year's SPL? It seems like similar things were being said about Wafer last year, then he did absolutely nothing during the year and apparently didn't look like NBA material today either.

I'm hopeful for Pinnock because that's exactly the kind of player I'd like, I'm just hoping this is for real and not Wafer-itis.

Wafer didn't light up until the SPL was almost halfway done. Wafer is clearly the better athlete. Quicker. More explosive. Far better lateral quickness.

Pinnock on the other hand just makes the game simpler. He doesn't struggle as much initiating, he doesn't halt the offense, he plays very good defense, he maximizes use of his wingspan with good defensive footwork, and nails down his pull-up jumpshots.

Wafer was a guy who would either be on fire or not. When he was on fire, he looked like an NBA starter in a Ben Gordon mold. When he broke context of the triangle offense and didn't know where to find his spots, he was just an aggressive defender.

Pinnock should be the far more consistent player. Simple fundamentals that produce excellent results.

Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject:

Hey Mike, do you see Douthit making the squad this year?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject:

Texas_Pete wrote:
Hey Mike, do you see Douthit making the squad this year?

I Douthit.

tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject:

Only thing that seems good about Douthit is his midrange jumpshot...
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject:

tgf5 wrote:
Only thing that seems good about Douthit is his midrange jumpshot...

That's his game. Great international player. Not NBA material.

Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject:

Thx for the recap, Mike.
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject:

Nicely done LakersPlayoffBound thanks.
THE GOODS
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
JimmyPage wrote:

Wafer didn't light up until the SPL was almost halfway done. Wafer is clearly the better athlete. Quicker. More explosive. Far better lateral quickness.

Pinnock on the other hand just makes the game simpler. He doesn't struggle as much initiating, he doesn't halt the offense, he plays very good defense, he maximizes use of his wingspan with good defensive footwork, and nails down his pull-up jumpshots.

Wafer was a guy who would either be on fire or not. When he was on fire, he looked like an NBA starter in a Ben Gordon mold. When he broke context of the triangle offense and didn't know where to find his spots, he was just an aggressive defender.

Pinnock should be the far more consistent player. Simple fundamentals that produce excellent results.

When Wafer's out there it seems as if too much is going through his head on offense...he was getting frustrated when his shot wasn't falling early and when he was having trouble bringing the ball up court...

Pinnock surprised a lot of fans today...he looked real good out there...with the lack of roster space do you think we're going to keep Pinnock on the team or are we going to send him to our D-League squad because he looks like he would be a decent NBA player from what I saw today...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: