SPL Gm 1: PTBTB's Analysis: Last Year vs This Year (AND VIDEO!!!)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PutTheBabyToBed
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: SPL Gm 1: PTBTB's Analysis: Last Year vs This Year (AND VIDEO!!!)

LINK TO LOW QUALITY VIDEO DOWNLOAD
(requires divx codec or ffdshow to play)

LINK TO WATCH VIDEO ON vMIX

LINK TO WATCH DANCING COW!

I'll try to post a higher-quality video tomorrow.

I went to last year's Gm 1, so I want to start with a little analysis of last year vs this year:

This was my post last year after Gm 1. None of you guys were kind enough to reply to the post, but hopefully this one will have a little more life since I've got video coming for y'all

The quotes are what I said last year:

Quote:
bynum will one day be special, but it's gonna take time. he works hard on the floor, but needs to get stronger and learn some post moves. was impressed, but think that laker fans' short-term expectations are too high.

As others have said, Bynum has gotten substantially stronger, but he still has a while to go. The kid ain't even 19 yet so everyone's expectations are too high for the short-term. He was much more aggressive than last year, and he seemed to have a much better feeling for where he needed to be on the court. He may have a baby face, but he's a meanie on the court.

Quote:

turiaf is da man! his energy was just awesome. he ain't scared of anybody. i see him being a real team leader soon. he was shouting out encouragement from the bench, and huddling the players on the court when regrouping was needed. he's like a cross between ac green, brian grant (in their prime), and mark madsen.

I miss Turiaf I hope he's working on his game with the French national team, and wish his countrymen the best tomorrow against Italy!

Quote:
von wafer has a great shooting stroke, and played pretty good d.

Von disappeared during the game. He did an awesome job, but unfortunately it was during pre-game warmups when he brought the crowd to its feet with his dunks, and he had a great breakaway dunk, but unfortunately no one was guarding him. Pinnock is who we want, not Von.

Quote:
douthit sucked. imho, bynum>douthit.

In all honesty, I think Douthit showed more of an improvement since last year than Bynum. He was hustling all over the court, rebounding, and he's got a great, soft shooting stroke. I don't know if he'll ever catch on with the Lakers, but I bet he will play in the NBA at some point.

Quote:
sasha sucked too. he got burned on d, made a lot of poor decisions, and just doesn't show the level of maturity you'd want at the point. i'm really starting to think drafting him was not a good move by mr. Kupchak.

Sasha wasn't there, but he still sucks

Quote:
was hoping to see green play some point, but he only played sf/sg. looked like he had good handles, but didn't see enough.

Green played great. Showed a lot of poise. I think Phil will give him good minutes off the bench this year.

Quote:
the refs were idiots, calling ticky tack fouls, even free throw lane violations. the game didn't flow well like the previous ones of the day. crowd booed the refs a lot.

Exactly the same as last year. The ref with the 'stache wanted the spotlight on him. He was calling fouls from across the floor, while the other 2 refs were closer to the play. The foul he called on Bynum when he made a spectacular block on Warrick was just ridiculous. That ref shouldn't even be in my old elementary school's league.

Quote:
the summer pro league girls were skanky hos.

Wow, what an improvement, as my video will soon attest.

Farmar did a great job. He showed a lot of leadership, was self-critical when he made mistakes, and found the creases to get inside for easy layups. But he needs to work on his outside jumper. The other thing that kinda worried me was that I wasn't able to see his handles in the open court when facing backcourt pressure. When facing a slight press, he would pass immediately to Von, but maybe that's what Rambis told him to do

The video is coming very soon. In the meantime, here are a few photos I took.

Last edited by PutTheBabyToBed on Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:29 pm; edited 5 times in total
scottie2hottie
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject:

awesome
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject:

Much appreciated.
Black Sheep
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject:

thanks for the photos
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
LakerFan1972
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject:

Great pics. Thanks,
KwamesMyGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject:

Thanx PTBTB

Los Angeles Lakers
PutTheBabyToBed
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject:

alright everybody, video has been compiled, and is running through the mixer to add some audio.

i was using my digital camera, not a real video camera, so there was no live audio. i took as many clips as i could...the good, the great, the bad, the ugly...but remember this was my digital camera, so i was limited by my battery.

was able to squeeze about 16 minutes of video into it.

will upload to the internet and post it here when ready!
PutTheBabyToBed
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject:

ok, the file ended up being over 3 gigs, so i'm now using divx to get that down to something acceptable...

patience is a virtue...

wait until you see the dancing cow! if you were there, you know what i'm talking about!
Billy_Blanko
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject:

haha, looking forward to this video
PutTheBabyToBed
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject:

lower quality version is about 1/3 uploaded to youtube. i don't like the quality too much, so i'm also working on a higher quality version for those of you who want to download and keep it in your video library.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject:

I was there last year and this one, too. I agree for the most part with Putthebabytobed.

Bynum: For those who weren't there, let me also add that Bynum was much improved in holding his position and clearly was the biggest and strongest guy on the court. There was a point in the 1st quarter where Andre the Greek ran to the block and pushed up against Bynum to get lower position, and Andrew didn't move an inch. Even with the fact that Andre the Greek was a giant himself, Bynum still looked like a man amongst boys out there. Dude is HUGE and you guys are going to love how much bigger and stronger his physique has gotten. He's clearly worked his tail off this summer. His arms, shoulders and chest are noticeably bigger, and while he was wearing special knee highs, his calves were just popping outward. His main problem is that he doesn't realize his size and strength yet. He's starting to, though, and did display some of that mean streak Massingale was talking about, particularly in the 2nd half. He got his shot blocked from behind by a smaller player and was being bodied and shoved by Andre the Greek. That seemed to really piss him off and he grew very aggressive, and stayed that way. He even threw Andre the Greek to the floor and then complained about the foul that was called on him for it. Immediately after that, he ran down court and drew an offensive foul on said Greek. Which reminds me, he runs the floor very well, often being the first guy down the court on both offense and defense - to which Farmar would reward him with a nice alley-oop or a sweet pass in traffic for an easy dunk. Andrew's still raw, but if he gets minutes, he'll be a factor. 2nd to last thing: Andrew played more above the rim in this game than he has in any one game we'd seen previously, so it at least looks like he's starting to use his athleticism more. Last thing: His presence makes a difference. When he sat, which was a lot due to so many fouls being called on him, it was literally a layup drill for Memphis. When he was in the game, Memphis clearly became more tentative going to the hole.

Farmar: I was very impressed with him. Not because he did anything spectacular, but because the kid is absolutely a natural born leader. He impacts the game, talks to the guys, is fully involved. He also got Bynum easy looks and nice lobs/dunks, which only inspired the big man to play even harder. The game really ran much smoother with him on the court and he looked effortless in his play. If I were Smush Parker, I'd head my ass back here from New York and get to work, because this guy is going to push him for minutes. Loved seeing both Farmar and Bynum sitting side by side quite a bit, as well, and of all the players, these 2 showed the most intensity/focus in the huddles with the coaches. We also got a peak at Farmar's athleticism on the last foul call of the game. After Devin Green got tripped up and the ball was taken by Memphis for a seemingly easy and wide open dunk, Farmar flew up out of nowhere and blocked the shot from behind, and while a foul was called on him, it did show he can get up high when he needs to. It was a key play to get that block, too, because the defender missed a FT giving Memphis a 3pt lead instead of 4, which gave us a chance to tie (we missed the attempt, but...). On a personal note, I spoke with Jordan after the game and he told me how he just can't stop smiling - he's so happy to be a Laker and realizes how blessed he is. You guys are going to love his competitiveness, confidence and game.

Douthit: This guy has definitely improved. Aside from 2 TOs in a row, which basically lost us the game, he played a very good all around game. He and Bynum paired together also made it difficult for Memphis to get the hole - both are very long and block shots. I feel bad for the Marcus because if this wasn't his 3rd or 4th year trying to make the team, we'd be all over him wanting him to stick. Unfortunately, there's just no roster spot for him...

Pinnock. Love this guy's heady game. He was a difference maker down the stretch, along with Farmar and Bynum. He's very calm and confident and I agree that if it comes down to Wafer or Pinnock, bye bye Wafer.

Wafer. He made a concerted effort to not just be a gunner. Unfortunately, he doesn't do anything else particularly well in a basektball sense, so when he's not scoring, he's not contributing. Consequently, he ended with 6 pts. (I think) and didn't help this team at all. That said, it's only one game. He may well kill tomorrow and Pinnock may suck.

Slaughter. Man, I just like this guy. He didn't do anything that really stands out, but he just looks like a basketball player, has a nice body for it and is smart on the court. He's one to keep an eye on.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject:

PutTheBabyToBed wrote:
ok, the file ended up being over 3 gigs, so i'm now using divx to get that down to something acceptable...

patience is a virtue...

wait until you see the dancing cow! if you were there, you know what i'm talking about!

Man, I LOVED that cow. My daughter kept wanting to go meet the cow. It was one hilarious and talented cow.

Gotta tell you guys that it was just really nice to watch Laker basketball again.
PutTheBabyToBed
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject:

we've hit a roadbump. the bastards at youtube deleted my video after upload due to a violation of their terms of use. it was either the music i put on the video, or the fact that i videotaped an spl game. whatever.

i'm uploading now to yousendit, and will post the link soon. it's the low quality version, but it'll have to do for now.

thanks for being patient
ToughKarl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject:

Thanks guys.
MyKRo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject:

PutTheBabytoBed - Try these sites when you upload the videos, they are the same as youtube but with less restrictions.

http://www.dailymotion.com

and

http://www.vmix.com

and

http://www.veoh.com
PutTheBabyToBed
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject:

LINKAGE

the cow is the highlight of the video!
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject:

It's just sound - there are no images. Black screen with Fresh Prince singing in the background.
PutTheBabyToBed
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject:

sorry, i should have said you need the divx codec, or ffdshow, in order to play the file. i compressed it with divx.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject:

Ahh. Bummer.
PutTheBabyToBed
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject:

i can understand you not wanting to install divx, since it's a little bloated. but i highly recommend ffdshow, since it plays xvid as well, and doesn't mess with the other video codecs on your system.
scottie2hottie
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject:

nice video thanks
MyKRo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject:

Nice! Thanks for the vid.
NP
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject:

Grand share, thanks a bunch
PutTheBabyToBed
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject:

If you just want to watch it and not download it, here's the link:

LINK
PutTheBabyToBed
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject:

Here's the dancing cow clip

LINK
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: