Lakers Smokescreen Article, per Hoopsword...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RMurphy_22
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Lakers Smokescreen Article, per Hoopsword...

http://www.hoopsworld.com/member/article_10441.shtml

Last Updated: Jun 27th, 2006 - 05:39:03

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blowing Smoke
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Jason "Jump Shot" Negri
for HOOPSWORLD.com
Jun 27, 2006, 05:33

As the NBA Draft counts down to the final hours, the draft which still has no clear-cut overall first round selection, is slowly resembling a high school cafeteria, chock-full of gossip and rumors. One of the biggest buzz involves the Lakers.

The Lakers selection at the 26th spot is one of their consultation prizes from the Shaquille O'Neal trade, a piece to the "rebuilding" process of the purple and gold. One of the rumors picking up steam is Lakers head coach Phil Jackson is fascinated with Washington’s point guard Brandon Roy-the most NBA ready point guard in the draft who has solid defensive intensity and can create shots for himself and his teammates-and have a draft day deal in place to trade up for Roy. Forward Lamar Odom and the 26th selection are being shipped to the Chicago Bulls for the Number 2 pick and forward and Los Angeles native Tyson Chandler.

But, haven't Lakers fans been down this road before, such as last year?

As the draft loomed last summer, one of the worst kept secrets of the draft was the Lakers wanted high school sensation Gerald Green. In fact, Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak dropped several clues, including telling Lakers season ticket holders at a town hall meeting, there was a high school player Kupchak, "...did not want to see in another uniform in the next three years." All indicators pointed towards swingman Green. On a separate draft day note, many outlets, including Hoopsworld.com, reported a long rumored draft day deal was complete; forwards Devean George, Slava Medvedenko, and the 37th pick to the Indiana Pacers for forward Jonathan Bender and the 17th pick.

But, it was all a smoke screen, at least the rumors for Green were. As Green fell from the heavens and down the draft board, the Lakers past on the much hyped Green with the 10th selection and selected high school center Andrew Bynum, raising question marks and doubts from the Lakers faithful in the post Shaq era. The "sure" deal for Bender also never materialized for the Lakers; a blessing consider Bender retired from the NBA a short time later due to bad knees. Green, hardly made a peep in his rookie season for the Boston Celtics, falling all the way to the 18th and jumped back and forth between the NBDL and the NBA. Bynum? At least he had a spin move dunk on Shaq on national television.

So, are the Lakers and Kupchak signaling another smoke screen for this season to acquire Roy? While rumors are a plenty the Lakers would like to jump into the top 10 picks of the draft, the rumors and indications are not nearly has direct and strong as the days surrounding the draft last year. As there is no clear cut superstar in the draft, along with the Lakers who could use improvement at basically every spot except where Kobe plays, to match the Lakers conservative draft history-the last major trade on draft day was veteran center Vlade Divac for unknown high schooler Kobe Bean Bryant, expect the Lakers to stay put at the 26th spot. Who will the Lakers select? While the Lakers problems at point guard are apparent as plastic surgery on Michael Jackson, don't be surprised if the Lakers look to make a move to replace veteran forward Devean George-a free agent who made $5 million last season, collected three rings, and had an up-and-down career in Lakerland.

While in recent years a few gems have been found beyond the 26th pick-Michael Redd, Gilbert Areans, Tony Parker, Samuel Dalembert, Carlos Boozer, Kyle Korver, Leandrinho Barbosa, and Kevin Martin-the odds are against any team in finding a quality player so low in the draft.

Will the Shaq selection bring a quality player which will make Lakers fans slowly forget the big Diesel or regret the trade of the Lakers great?
We will find out on Wednesday, smoke screen or not.

I am looking foward to tommorow night, no matter what.

Go Lakers
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject:

For Chandler? No.

Last edited by Fan0Bynum17 on Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject:

interesting, will tune in, well because u never know what will happen its all 50/50
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
For Chandler? No way.

Not that bad, We'de be great upfront defensively, we have be great in the backcourt , if mr.banks is all he is cracked up too be, and we'd get the all important lukkeee in the Sf slot, and we would have brandon roy or maybe someone else??too boot. Or we might not get banks anymore.
Panthas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject:

I dont know it doesnt sound too badd too me
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Lakers Smokescreen Article, per Hoopsword...

RMurphy_22 wrote:
http://www.hoopsworld.com/member/article_10441.shtml

Last Updated: Jun 27th, 2006 - 05:39:03

Blowing Smoke
By Jason "Jump Shot" Negri
for HOOPSWORLD.com
Jun 27, 2006, 05:33

As the NBA Draft counts down to the final hours, the draft which still has no clear-cut overall first round selection, is slowly resembling a high school cafeteria, chock-full of gossip and rumors. One of the biggest buzz involves the Lakers.

...On a separate draft day note, many outlets, including Hoopsworld.com, reported a long rumored draft day deal was complete; forwards Devean George, Slava Medvedenko, and the 37th pick to the Indiana Pacers for forward Jonathan Bender and the 17th pick.

But, it was all a smoke screen, at least the rumors for Green were. As Green fell from the heavens and down the draft board, the Lakers past on the much hyped Green with the 10th selection and selected high school center Andrew Bynum, raising question marks and doubts from the Lakers faithful in the post Shaq era. The "sure" deal for Bender also never materialized for the Lakers; a blessing consider Bender retired from the NBA a short time later due to bad knees. Green, hardly made a peep in his rookie season for the Boston Celtics, falling all the way to the 18th and jumped back and forth between the NBDL and the NBA. Bynum? At least he had a spin move dunk on Shaq on national television.

"Jump Shot" is a drooler. Losing D. George for Danny Granger is a blessing. Damn, some Laker fan... doesn't even follow the illustrious career of Devean George.

Last edited by angrypuppy on Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:56 am; edited 2 times in total
NOODLESTYLE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject:

We'll end up with the first 2 players picked in the 2001 NBA Draft, is it possible that we'll also end up with the player who was picked at #3? PAUL GASOL
buphead
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject:

I think I'd do that...we really need a player with weakside shotblocking alongside Kwame. Chandler definitely has that. I'd just rather have Gay, Morrison or Thomas at number 2. Now if we traded down to around 5, that would definitely warrant picking Roy...but I think 2 is too early. We'll see what happens!
KBLkr8
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject:

I think Lamar can be part of champonship run I just think he cantbe our #2 scoring option . In order for me to do this deal ot would have to look something like this

Odom , Mckie , Mihm & the 26 pick
for
BG & Duhon & #2

BG , Duhon
Kobe , Sasha
Harpring, Luke
LaMarcus Adrige , Turiaf
Kwame , Bynum

Last edited by KBLkr8 on Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total
buphead
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject:

NOODLESTYLE wrote:
We'll end up with the first 2 players picked in the 2001 NBA Draft, is it possible that we'll also end up with the player who was picked at #3? PAUL GASOL

Paul Gasol=Pau Gasol
ArrOhBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject:

KBLkr8 wrote:
I think Lamar can be part of champonship run I just think he cantbe our #2 scoring option . In order for me to do this deal ot would have to look something like this

for
BG & Duhon & #2 & there 2nd rounder or BG & Deng

mihm and mckie are gonna get trade to indiana!!!

for a signed and traded Peja

Kwame
Chandler
Peja
Kobe
Roy

^^^
MagicMan32
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject:

Can Chandler play the 4? Man we would be terrible offensively in the frontcourt.
KBLkr8
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject:

ArrOhBee wrote:
KBLkr8 wrote:

for
BG & Duhon & #2 & there 2nd rounder or BG & Deng

mihm and mckie are gonna get trade to indiana!!!

for a signed and traded Peja

Kwame
Chandler
Peja
Kobe
Roy

^^^

I couldnt take a whole season of watching Tyson & Kwame fumble passes right under the rim all season
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

MagicMan32 wrote:
Can Chandler play the 4? Man we would be terrible offensively in the frontcourt.

No Kwame is a 13/10 guy easilt next year IMO. He has showed he still has untapped potential and showed the ability too grow and learn. Look at kwame from novemeber and look at him in march.
NOODLESTYLE
Star Player
Star Player

oh ya... i meant PAU
buphead wrote:
NOODLESTYLE wrote:

Paul Gasol=Pau Gasol
Bystander
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

It's difficult to take seriously article of an author who doesn't know difference between "consultation" and "consolation"
Flight#24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject:

Bystander wrote:
It's difficult to take seriously article of an author who doesn't know difference between "consultation" and "consolation"
buphead
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject:

MagicMan32 wrote:

We would be set defensively for years. And how is the Pistons frontcourt offensively? Not much better than we would be if we had Brown and Chandler. If they could average 20-25 ppg between the both of them I'd take that in a heartbeat. Plus Roy's 10ppg, Walton's 8-10ppg (assuming he's our starting SF), and Kobe's 30-35...that's at least 70ppg from our starters...minimum. And much better defensively. We'd still have Mihm to trade for a starting SF if they preferred Walton coming off the bench.
ValisJason
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject:

There was a time when this board was as fired up about Chandler as it is now about Banks. I agree that Chandler's massive contract and proven inability to be an offensive force has probably changed things. But, that rumored trade is the first one that makes any sense. Odom plus #26 for Roy/Aldridge and Tyson. All that talk that the Lakers would have to throw in Bynum or Mihm was just bull.

I always thought that the bottom line for the Lakers to trade Odom is to receive two starters in return. This trade would do that. Plus we could trade Mihm (for Peja? Intriguing but doubtful) and still use the MLE on a small forward or Marcus Banks. I think Tyson would thrive next to Kwame ... but man that would be one inept triangle pair. Neither can pass or shoot the outside jumper. But they would be fearsome on the defensive end.

Lineup:
Kobe/Sasha
Roy/Smush
MLE/Walton
Tyson/Turiaf
Kwame/Bynum

You need to add offense at the 3 to make up for the lack of offense at 4 and minimal or inconsistent offense from Kwame at 5. But, its easier to get offense at 3 than just about anywhere else. I assume Mihm and Cook get traded, but maybe not. You would think you could get a pretty decent 3 for that package.

All of this being said ... I still dont think the Lakers will trade Odom. At this point maybe they add Banks, and maybe they trade Mihm (starting to wonder about that) and come back with basically the same team and hope to improve to 50 wins.
AV
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject:

Chandler can play the 4 that is where he was on the bulls when they had Curry he actually played pretty well there, you could move kobe to sf and roy to sg with banks at pg, not sure what chandlers contract is i think pretty high so not sure if the lakers would do it although it doesn't seem that bad...of course the Bulls? I doubt they trade their main "big" for LO....the rumor of LO for either both their picks, both picks and BG, or number to 2 and BG and all those variants seems to make more sense for the bulls and the lakers.....but i am sure as this article pointed out whatever is getting out there about the lakers is probably a bunch of BS, just like last year....which means the lakers are scheming which is fine by me
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject:

lakers0505 wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
For Chandler? No way.

Not that bad, We'de be great upfront defensively, we have be great in the backcourt , if mr.banks is all he is cracked up too be, and we'd get the all important lukkeee in the Sf slot, and we would have brandon roy or maybe someone else??too boot. Or we might not get banks anymore.

I don't know, I don't think it improves us enough to really be worth giving up possible cap space in another move.
RMurphy_22
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject:

Would we still get that trade exception if we made this deal? If so, I would make the trade- I think Odom is overrated.

Go Lakers
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject:

Trading LO for the right deal =

Trading LO for this deal =

Chandler couldn't score if he was the only dude at a sex addicts anonymous retreat.

Seriously, the dude scored 15+ PTs. twice last season and 2 PTs or less 20 times.

Not to mention he tends to miss large chuncks of seasons with his back issues. And no one has mentioned his contract yet. If you think LO is inconsistent and overpaid, wait'll you get a load of Chandler.

Add that this is a weak draft class and you're taking a huge gamble on this trade. I'd pass.
buphead
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

AV wrote:
Chandler can play the 4 that is where he was on the bulls when they had Curry he actually played pretty well there, you could move kobe to sf and roy to sg with banks at pg, not sure what chandlers contract is i think pretty high so not sure if the lakers would do it although it doesn't seem that bad...of course the Bulls? I doubt they trade their main "big" for LO....the rumor of LO for either both their picks, both picks and BG, or number to 2 and BG and all those variants seems to make more sense for the bulls and the lakers.....but i am sure as this article pointed out whatever is getting out there about the lakers is probably a bunch of BS, just like last year....which means the lakers are scheming which is fine by me

That would easily be a top 5 starting lineup defensively. Lacks a little offense though. Banks won't do much offensively. I'd prefer to keep Kobe at SG, Roy at PG, and trade Mihm and Cook for a 12-15ppg starting SF, which isn't a stretch of the imagination by any means.
Serious NBA Fan
Star Player
Star Player

Smokesceen? for what purpose? to stay out at the inconsequential 26th pick? Now thats' a joke!! Last year, Kupchuk told us he will take a high school player. He did, didn't he? If we had a wheeler dealer GM, the idea of smokescreen would make SOME sense. But it doesn't when all you plan to do is fold.... :roll:
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6
Jump to: